The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
20
43%
Yeah, kind of
8
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
7
15%
Not prepared but screw it
3
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
9
19%
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
Gluteus

Bronze
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Gluteus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:03 am

Just finished the last 7 complex ordering games from the Cambridge packets. Only the last game was difficult, if I ran across it on a timed test I would have likely only been able to get 3/5 questions within 10 minutes.

With the exception of the last game from the basic ordering section and the last game from the complex ordering section, I can comfortably say I have mastered the ordering games from the Cambridge packets. It's a nice feeling considering ordering is such a large portion of the LG section.

Now at 34/288 before I begin my LR prep. I have tomorrow off so I am aiming for all of the in-out games and at least 23 undetermined assignment games.

User avatar
tapenade

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby tapenade » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:27 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Are there any good sources that breakdown RC passages like 7Sage LG Videos or MH Forum for LR?

More broadly speaking, How do you guys review RC? I've been killing RC (-2 just now, but -3/4 on avg), but Im trying to figure out what I can improve on or if there are some systematic things in various passages that I missed and just lucked out on with the questions


I don't have any recommendation for specific resources, but I managed to keep my RC consistently around -2 by sticking with an approach that worked. Contrary to some advice, I went real slow through the passage and did no notation and it worked for me. Once I keep consistent in this approach, I noticed my scores tend to stabilize too. If somethings working for you (which it sounds like it is), don't change it. I think the key is to stick with an approach to RC for 3-4 PT's so you gain some confidence and feel more relaxed. At least personally, 2nd guessing my approach to the section, and even to particular questions lead to a decrease in my performance.


Thanks for the advice. That is essentially what im doing and its mostly not systematic. I just read carefully, underline and Highlight things that stick out to me, notate for structure and then answer the questions. It seems to work and is most natural. Now as im beginning to get into the PT phase Ill watch out for trends, but as a retaker and tyring a couple things i think Im going to stick to this track.


Agreed! I've been doing really well on RC lately following a similar approach. I find that being honest with myself and constantly checking for understanding helps me decide how heavily to notate, if at all. My brain seems to retain most things from the law, history, art, or other somewhat interesting passages. Science passages always end up getting carved up because what is science

User avatar
abujabal

Bronze
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby abujabal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:04 am

Gluteus wrote:Just finished the last 7 complex ordering games from the Cambridge packets. Only the last game was difficult, if I ran across it on a timed test I would have likely only been able to get 3/5 questions within 10 minutes.

With the exception of the last game from the basic ordering section and the last game from the complex ordering section, I can comfortably say I have mastered the ordering games from the Cambridge packets. It's a nice feeling considering ordering is such a large portion of the LG section.

Now at 34/288 before I begin my LR prep. I have tomorrow off so I am aiming for all of the in-out games and at least 23 undetermined assignment games.


Out of curiosity, why are you doing everything sequentially, and not simultaneously?

User avatar
Desiigner

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:07 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Desiigner » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm

I took PT 42 today and got a 165. -5 Games, -11 LR, and -2 RC. Games is still my weakest and I think it is the low-hanging fruit at this point. I am sad my LR scores fluctuate so much, some sections I do pretty well others not so much. Is it possible to be consistently at -0/-1 on LG by September? I have been drilling games for months...

CottonHarvest

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby CottonHarvest » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 pm

PT 63 and 64- 174 and 176. Kind of disappointed since my three prior were 179, 179, and 178.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:38 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:PT 63 and 64- 174 and 176. Kind of disappointed since my three prior were 179, 179, and 178.

if 174 and 176 makes you disappointed, then you're in a phenomenal position lol.

Still killer scores, keep it up.

User avatar
creed

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby creed » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Drilled a ton of grouping games today, which I think I'm getting the hang of. Most bothersome thing about grouping is that so many of them require a bit of plugging and chugging. Linear inferences seem to do a lot more for me throughout the game. So it's common in grouping games that I hit 9 or 10 minutes and get frustrated, only to find out it's a 9-10 minute game.

Regardless, I need to drill away on LG. I'm averaging low 170's with a typical range of -4/-5 on LG. Refining LR will come later, but I think I'm spending my time well if I'm focusing on LG for the moment.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Mikey wrote:
CottonHarvest wrote:PT 63 and 64- 174 and 176. Kind of disappointed since my three prior were 179, 179, and 178.

if 174 and 176 makes you disappointed, then you're in a phenomenal position lol.

Still killer scores, keep it up.


For real. Thats awesome man! I wouldn't stress out about. Just keep doing what you are doing

sev

Bronze
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby sev » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:18 pm

After PTing three straight times at 169, I took a week to drill science RC and LG sequencing... and finally broke 170. So freaking happy.

PT46, Actual=172, BR=175 (BR should've been 178--flipped 2 right answers to wrong just because I felt uncomfortable)
RC: -1
LR: -4 (this section kicked my butt from the very first question--prolly need to warm up LR beforehand.)
LR1 from PT4: -1 (experimental)
LR2: -1
LG: -1 (misread a "3" as a "4" somehow and had to redo the first game, then misread a rule in the last game and didn't have the 30 seconds I needed to fix :-/)

I've been working on paying more attention to timing in LR--I've been keeping my iphone stopwatch running and taking a second to hit lap between questions. Super interesting to see what Qs I spent the most/least time on, but I'm not sure how useful it'll be--anyone else do this? How do you use the data?

User avatar
doglawin

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby doglawin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi all!

Glad to have found this group-- even if it's a little less than two months from the exam!

I've been using PowerScore to prep and I've got to say... I LOVE THESE BOOKS! I started off using their 3 month study guide at the beginning of June, but unfortunately, fell two months behind as I work full time. Ideally, I would take the exam in September to apply for the 18-19 cycle, however, my work schedule is killing me, and I am trying to hit that 175+.

My question to those who have previously written the LSAT is, do you think using the RC PowerScore prep is necessary? I'm halfway through the LG and LR books, but only 4 chapters into RC. I've seen my scores improve in LG and LR, but I'm not sure I should allocate any time to reading the RC book as I am so time-constrained with work.

Any suggestions?

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Barry grandpapy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:37 pm

I hate weddings.

User avatar
abujabal

Bronze
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby abujabal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:I hate weddings.


Occupy yourself by sequencing the wedding party.

"There are 4 bridesmaids in a wedding party, and 3 groomsmen..."

User avatar
creed

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby creed » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:04 am

Just came across the snakes and lizards game... I pulled it out in target time but I feel permanently damaged. If a game that hard came up on the Sept test I would be truly pissed.

User avatar
Gluteus

Bronze
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Gluteus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:30 am

Ugh, only got 20 logic games done today feels bad.

Working a short shift tomorrow so I'll probably only be able to get another 20 done.


Ran across the 10 CD game. Thought it was meant to be one of the hardest ever, it was actually easy. Just fairly time consuming for the second game in a section.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Barry grandpapy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:46 am

creed wrote:Just came across the snakes and lizards game... I pulled it out in target time but I feel permanently damaged. If a game that hard came up on the Sept test I would be truly pissed.


Fu@% that game. Also, fu#$ the virus game.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:58 am

.
Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
creed

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby creed » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:15 am

I did the CD game today as well and I agree... the rules pretty much spoke for themselves.

It does fall into my least favorite game type though-- grouping games which are (1) heavy on conditional rules and (2) aren't structured to allow any meaningful board splitting. I don't really understand the purpose of a game that just requires you to brute force your way through half the questions.

I think I've identified the core tension in my LG efforts. I hesitate to begin testing answers because I'm afraid that I'm missing an inference which will make the answer clear (or at least pare down options). So normally when I take too long on a problem it's because I'm re-reading rules to make sure I'm not missing inferences before I begin to test out the answer options. I think I need to better discipline myself to keep all my inference gathering to the beginning of the game and to not look back once I begin answering.

I haven't done the virus game yet... sounds like a joy

User avatar
doglawin

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby doglawin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 am

Platopus wrote:
doglawin wrote:
My question to those who have previously written the LSAT is, do you think using the RC PowerScore prep is necessary?


No. I flipped through the Powerscore book, but didn't find a ton of useful information. In my experience, RC is the section where you need to find what works for you, not really adhere to any strict approach. I personally found that just reading at a slow, natural pace actually helped. Reading for structure and underlining might be useful, but it didn't work for me. People can only sell books if they have an "approach", but for RC I don't really think you need a formal "approach. Just keep practicing with what feels natural and don't be afraid to switch things up if they aren't working.



I will give this a try, sounds more natural and like a time saver! Thank you!

User avatar
HesusChrist

New
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby HesusChrist » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 am

creed wrote:I did the CD game today as well and I agree... the rules pretty much spoke for themselves.

It does fall into my least favorite game type though-- grouping games which are (1) heavy on conditional rules and (2) aren't structured to allow any meaningful board splitting. I don't really understand the purpose of a game that just requires you to brute force your way through half the questions.

I think I've identified the core tension in my LG efforts. I hesitate to begin testing answers because I'm afraid that I'm missing an inference which will make the answer clear (or at least pare down options). So normally when I take too long on a problem it's because I'm re-reading rules to make sure I'm not missing inferences before I begin to test out the answer options. I think I need to better discipline myself to keep all my inference gathering to the beginning of the game and to not look back once I begin answering.

I haven't done the virus game yet... sounds like a joy


I've always found the CD game overrated. If your conditional logic is strong, its not a difficult game.

CottonHarvest

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby CottonHarvest » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:15 am

HesusChrist wrote:
creed wrote:I did the CD game today as well and I agree... the rules pretty much spoke for themselves.

It does fall into my least favorite game type though-- grouping games which are (1) heavy on conditional rules and (2) aren't structured to allow any meaningful board splitting. I don't really understand the purpose of a game that just requires you to brute force your way through half the questions.

I think I've identified the core tension in my LG efforts. I hesitate to begin testing answers because I'm afraid that I'm missing an inference which will make the answer clear (or at least pare down options). So normally when I take too long on a problem it's because I'm re-reading rules to make sure I'm not missing inferences before I begin to test out the answer options. I think I need to better discipline myself to keep all my inference gathering to the beginning of the game and to not look back once I begin answering.

I haven't done the virus game yet... sounds like a joy


I've always found the CD game overrated. If your conditional logic is strong, its not a difficult game.

I thought New and Used CDs was very difficult the first time, but it was early in my prep. I probably need to to redo it. On the other hand, I found Lizards and Snakes fairly simple the first time I tried it.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 am

I've heard the dinosaurs game isn't hard, just time consuming.

CottonHarvest

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby CottonHarvest » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 am

I know I haven't done viruses because I think I read its in the 70s. What PT is dinosaurs from? I don't know if I did it, but it's sounds like I would know if I had

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:34 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:I know I haven't done viruses because I think I read its in the 70s. What PT is dinosaurs from? I don't know if I did it, but it's sounds like I would know if I had


Sept 2016 -- PT79

mnbv9876

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby mnbv9876 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:41 pm

dinosaurs is pt57 i think. messed me up big timeeee

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:53 pm

HOLY FUCK, I FINALLY BROKE A 170 ON A PT. Beyond excited right now, OMFG.

PT60: 170

LR: -3
LG: -0
LR: -5
RC: -3

Very unusual performance with LR, don't know where the -5 came from. This is the best I've ever done on RC :O
I know to a lot of people on here, a 170 is ehh but it's my first time breaking it so fuck off :mrgreen:



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests