The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
19%

Total votes: 47

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:17 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Just finished PT 45. Took it at 9 AM. Just writing out my thoughts before I BR.

Section 1 LR - When I started this section I wasn't entirely focused and took a long time on certain questions, just getting to 35 minutes on the mark. I believe since it was early and I was still groggy, my cognitive functions were not fully functioning. I believe my performance on the other sections leads credence to this hypothesis, especially with looking at my last PT. I got -6 I believe on the first LR & -2 on the second. Circled a lot of questions.

Section 2 RC - Again, rushing to get to the last 2 readings. I need to drill RC and timing. Thank god the last passage wasn't hard, but I barely made it to 35 mins for all questions. None of the readings were all that difficult, but I need to shape up with time.

Section 3 LG - These were pretty damn easy. Someone also brought a crying baby onto the floor I was studying on while doing this section. Seriously??????????????????????????????????? Finished with ~9 minutes left. This is probably an outlier.

Section 4 LR - Glided through these questions with 5 minutes to spare. I do believe I may be rushing just so I don't end up like section 1. I need to find a balance between taking too long and rushing so as to get to all the questions. Had time to review all of my answers and pretty certain they looked good.

Overall, I think the first 2 sections messed me up. I think doing some section drilling before PTing may help get my brain to wake up. I believe someone from the last September thread used to do that. Let's hope for the best :D

Will update this post with timed & BR scores.

Nice! I definitely recommend warming up. Even before studying, I will read for like 20 min w/ a cup of coffee and before a PT i do that and a handful of LR Q's, a RC Passage and a game or 2. You can do any mix and make your own routine, but for me I saw a huge improvement after implementing warming up. You want it to wake you up but not be too intense where you burn out and strain too early.

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:24 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:29 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Nice! I definitely recommend warming up. Even before studying, I will read for like 20 min w/ a cup of coffee and before a PT i do that and a handful of LR Q's, a RC Passage and a game or 2. You can do any mix and make your own routine, but for me I saw a huge improvement after implementing warming up. You want it to wake you up but not be too intense where you burn out and strain too early.

Womp didn't do well. Just curious how long you usually take to warm up? And did you do some sort of warm up test day? Thanks I think this may help!

youll crush the next one! usually an hour or so! I did before test-day like 2 hrs i think. Cant remember exactly.

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSchoolNJ2018

New

Postby LawSchoolNJ2018 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:09 pm

I took in February and got a 167. I'm looking to get at least a 172 this time around. What's the best way to do this?

LR: between -1 to -4 depending on how hard the section is.
RC: Between -4 to -6 or even 7
LG: -0 to -5, depending on how many stupid mistakes I make.

What's the best way for me to improve? I've never really done blind review, so I've just started implemented that into my studying. I've found I get between 178-180 in blind review, so I really just need to work on precision and consistency.

Do you guys recommend taking 3 practice tests a week and blind reviewing them extremely thoroughly, or doing the same level of review for individual sections and maybe one test per week? I'm really only talking about RC and LR here. Either way, I'll be doing multiple sections of LG each day until September 16th.

Is there anyone that made this similar jump in a retake and has any advice for me?

Thanks for your help!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:14 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Nice! I definitely recommend warming up. Even before studying, I will read for like 20 min w/ a cup of coffee and before a PT i do that and a handful of LR Q's, a RC Passage and a game or 2. You can do any mix and make your own routine, but for me I saw a huge improvement after implementing warming up. You want it to wake you up but not be too intense where you burn out and strain too early.

Womp didn't do well. Just curious how long you usually take to warm up? And did you do some sort of warm up test day? Thanks I think this may help!

youll crush the next one! usually an hour or so! I did before test-day like 2 hrs i think. Cant remember exactly.

Thank you, that is really reassuring. Damn that only means I have to wake up earlier for test day. I think I'm going to start shifting my days in line with the time I want to wake up that day, and PT around the time the test starts to get used to it. *sigh*

I'm in the process of waking up earlier in order to PT at 8 am w/ warmups as well. Time to get into that routine haha

TexasApplicant

New

Postby TexasApplicant » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Checking into this thread - scored (just) below PT average on June, sitting again in September.

Hopefully 2 months is enough!

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:25 pm

Alexandros wrote:Officially checking out, folks. Good luck on the LSAT and all your future endeavors! 8)

Woah woah wtf

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Alexandros wrote:Officially checking out, folks. Good luck on the LSAT and all your future endeavors! 8)

Are you just leaving the thread or TLS???

If the latter, where tf do u think you're going???? You can't do this to me, not like this :roll: :cry:

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:50 pm

What?!?!?! Nooooooooooooo!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

mmart207

Bronze

Postby mmart207 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Which "game types" should I focus on drilling? I notice that there's several different kinds of game types, but which are actually worth drilling? I need help in logic games and have been doing sections at a time and although I've made some improvements, I feel like drilling by type might be more effective. Any help would be appreciated

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:14 pm

What What!!! Best of Luck to you too Mate! until next time..

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:24 pm

ALEX, YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME BRO

I NEED YOU

Gluteus

Bronze

Postby Gluteus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 pm

mmart207 wrote:Which "game types" should I focus on drilling? I notice that there's several different kinds of game types, but which are actually worth drilling? I need help in logic games and have been doing sections at a time and although I've made some improvements, I feel like drilling by type might be more effective. Any help would be appreciated

By the time you take the official LSAT, you should have drilled every type of logic game extensively.

For most people it is beneficial to start by drilling one game type at a time because it is easier to learn the common elements/inferences that each game type has.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Just took PT 53 as my first PT since the start of the month (4th of July + birthday really killed my studying routine)

Did meh, 170 with -5 on LR 1 (which also happened to be section 1). Had a carb-heavy meal beforehand and was feeling groggy so that probably didn't help. Warming up beforehand cannot be overstated :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

principalagent

Silver

Postby principalagent » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm shook.

caramelizedgod

New

Postby caramelizedgod » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:30 pm

How fast do you guys go through the ps bibles? Do you go through them slowly up until test day combined with frequent pt's or get through them in a couple of weeks/1 month (doing maybe 1-2 pt's in that time) and then begin regular pt's?

Csupo

New

Postby Csupo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:09 pm

sukhvirlam wrote:How fast do you guys go through the ps bibles? Do you go through them slowly up until test day combined with frequent pt's or get through them in a couple of weeks/1 month (doing maybe 1-2 pt's in that time) and then begin regular pt's?
Doesn't really make sense to take too long to read them. The idea is to use them to get the fundamentals down and use PTs to apply the theory and concepts you learn from them practically. I've been going over the LR Bible and it will take me a little over two weeks to complete it. You can always go back to them if you find yourself a bit rusty on particular question types.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:15 pm

Csupo wrote:
sukhvirlam wrote:How fast do you guys go through the ps bibles? Do you go through them slowly up until test day combined with frequent pt's or get through them in a couple of weeks/1 month (doing maybe 1-2 pt's in that time) and then begin regular pt's?
Doesn't really make sense to take too long to read them. The idea is to use them to get the fundamentals down and use PTs to apply the theory and concepts you learn from them practically. I've been going over the LR Bible and it will take me a little over two weeks to complete it. You can always go back to them if you find yourself a bit rusty on particular question types.

I went through them at an efficient pace, but each month I am reviewing and drilling by type specifically certain Game types ( following Pithy Pike plan loosely).

But i have gone through all the chapters already with a little drilling so I can PT. You definitely dont want to only be learning a certain question type or game the month of the test...

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:46 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:11 pm

completely bombed PT50 today

RC: -11
LR: -4 (-2 and -2)
LG:-1

am I ever going to do well on RC??????????? :evil: wtf is this shit man

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Mikey wrote:completely bombed PT50 today

RC: -11
LR: -4 (-2 and -2)
LG:-1

am I ever going to do well on RC??????????? :evil: wtf is this shit man

Damn! Besides RC you are crushing it bro. Have you broken down your RC mistakes to anything in particular?

You will get it Mikey

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Platopus wrote:

I started w/ the LG bible and got all the way through that, then starting drilling LG. Spent about 2 weeks just drilling LG and then started the LR bible. Once I got through that I started drilling LR and LG. Same w/ RC. Start slow and go through the books. Do the in-book drills and learn the material. Refer back frequently. I'm a big fan of the Manhattan LR book too. I would say it takes about ~20hr to go through each book, maybe a little more for LR.

edit for clarity: Get through all the books before you even touch a PT. I drilled for about 2 months before starting PT's. After that it was about 2 PT's a week, and 4-5 days of drilling. Usually 2 LR sections w/ review one day and LG and RC drilling w/ review the next.

Platopus- Did you complete the books completely and then start drilling or for example, did you go through the Assumption Family LR chapters and just drilled that by type for a few weeks before moving on?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?