The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
19%

Total votes: 47

HesusChrist

New

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby HesusChrist » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Not bad Creed. I'm going to be drilling LR sections hard this week. I was wondering why I haven't been progressing much in LR towards my BR scores, and I realized that I've never really drilled LR sections. I would PT, blind review and then do untimed question type practice or untimed sections. No wonder I've been inconsistent under pressure; I haven't had much practice. Many people can shoot 3's, but only a few can do it while being guarded by LeBron in the finals. Hopefully drilling 30 or 40 LR sections will increase my speed and bridge that gap between BR potential and actual performance. Goal is to go 25 in 25, giving me 8 or 9 mins to return to tough questions.

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:35 pm

HesusChrist wrote:Not bad Creed. I'm going to be drilling LR sections hard this week. I was wondering why I haven't been progressing much in LR towards my BR scores, and I realized that I've never really drilled LR sections. I would PT, blind review and then do untimed question type practice or untimed sections. No wonder I've been inconsistent under pressure; I haven't had much practice. Many people can shoot 3's, but only a few can do it while being guarded by LeBron in the finals. Hopefully drilling 30 or 40 LR sections will increase my speed and bridge that gap between BR potential and actual performance. Goal is to go 25 in 25, giving me 8 or 9 mins to return to tough questions.

Thanks. That's a solid goal. I think that the real difficulty will come in achieving both 25 out of 25 and 8/9 minutes at the end. But I also have a habit of sitting on hard questions for too long that I should break, and that may be affecting my answer.

I haven't tried it yet, but yesterday, I made copies of four sections of the Powerscore LR question sets and that's what my LR drilling will consist of this week. I'll post in here whether or not I find it effective. So far, the key variable for LR on my end has just been focus. It is *so* easy to not read a stimulus or every answer choice as thoroughly as it needs to be read. But up to now, my LR practice has only been drilling sections timed, which has been helpful.

I also think one piece of advice I read stuck with me: in every question, there are four definitively wrong answers and one definitively right answer. My original habit was to think, "Shit, these two both seem right, but which seems more right?" But I think in the vast majority of cases, reading carefully enough reveals that really only one answer makes sense.

Overall, I think I need to drill parallel reasoning and get stronger on formal logic. I've gotten my success rate on these up, but they still tend to be the few I miss, or the few I waste time on.

What're you shooting for? If I recall correctly, most of your PT's are in the 173-178 range.

HesusChrist

New

Postby HesusChrist » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:43 pm

175 would be great, but I'd settle for anything over 172.

solidarity4ever

New

Postby solidarity4ever » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Quick question about how you guys do LR drills--do you usually do drills by question type, or do you attack whole sections/parts of sections with multiple question types? I am also realizing that I didn't properly return to LR drills once I got into doing PTs in preparation for the June test, and think I will do much more of that this time around. I'm tempted to drill by whole section/parts of section because I drilled by question type before and I feel like by the time I was drilling more obscure question types I had probably become a little rusty on fundamentals/MBT.

Also, do any of you use the PowerScore LR workbook? I'm guessing that's what @creed means by "Powerscore LR question sets." I have all the old PT packets and have been erasing the heck out of them (ow), but I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile and save myself some elbow grease if I coughed up the $30 or whatever it is for the PowerScore book.

edit: I have the PowerScore LRB and used it extensively in prep for June.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:36 am

Checking in to mark exactly 4 straight days of not studying because of course I'm doing a cross country move in the middle of my damn prep period.

That said - I have a 6 hour flight on Tuesday. Thoughts on what to drill? I'm thinking like 10 sections of LR?

augustyyy

New

Postby augustyyy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:42 am

anyone has any suggestion on some supplemental readings to improve RC? especially in art/science field?

NeverOrNow

New

Postby NeverOrNow » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 am

I am up at 6:30 to study. This is my new normal. :|

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:32 pm

augustyyy wrote:anyone has any suggestion on some supplemental readings to improve RC? especially in art/science field?

As far as supplemental readings - look into any denser than LSAT books on those topics or also magazines like the scientific american (for science). I struggle with science passages terribly as well. If anybody else has any input please share!!

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:39 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
augustyyy wrote:anyone has any suggestion on some supplemental readings to improve RC? especially in art/science field?

As far as supplemental readings - look into any denser than LSAT books on those topics or also magazines like the scientific american (for science). I struggle with science passages terribly as well. If anybody else has any input please share!!

Science passages can be tough for me also. What's helped me on the passages is just to mark up everything as much as possible. So long as you grasp the main points, the content really shouldn't mean much, it's about reading for structure.

UCLAcal

New

Postby UCLAcal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:07 pm

solidarity4ever wrote:Quick question about how you guys do LR drills--do you usually do drills by question type, or do you attack whole sections/parts of sections with multiple question types? I am also realizing that I didn't properly return to LR drills once I got into doing PTs in preparation for the June test, and think I will do much more of that this time around. I'm tempted to drill by whole section/parts of section because I drilled by question type before and I feel like by the time I was drilling more obscure question types I had probably become a little rusty on fundamentals/MBT.

Also, do any of you use the PowerScore LR workbook? I'm guessing that's what @creed means by "Powerscore LR question sets." I have all the old PT packets and have been erasing the heck out of them (ow), but I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile and save myself some elbow grease if I coughed up the $30 or whatever it is for the PowerScore book.

I am by no means an expert, but for my LR retake study, I am going to Drill LR sections, not by LR types.

That way I can get exposure to different types of LR questions at one sitting and get used to the LSAT test format.

UCLAcal

New

Postby UCLAcal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:
tapenade wrote:Blind review is so fun, but so exhausting. Any opinions on whether blind reviewing correct answers is useful? I want to BR every question to cement my understanding, but I'm not sure if it's sustainable considering how many PTs there are to take before September.

That is useful, but its not BR. During your PT, circle the questions that you are not 100% percent on. These are then blind reviewed. Then grade your test and identify questions that fooled you - ones that you did not circle but got wrong nonetheless. This identifies weaknesses that you were unaware of. Going over all the question for logic, structure etc is helpful, but not strictly speaking BR.

Unless I'm mistaken, BR is going through the entire test again, untimed, prior to marking.

I've always done just the ones I was uncertain of, but I can imagine doing the entire test would be worth it, if exhausting.

I never found true BR a particularly good use of time tbh, but some swear by it.

So how do you review your questions then? Just by focusing on the ones you were unsure of?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Alexandros wrote:
UCLAcal wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:
tapenade wrote:Blind review is so fun, but so exhausting. Any opinions on whether blind reviewing correct answers is useful? I want to BR every question to cement my understanding, but I'm not sure if it's sustainable considering how many PTs there are to take before September.

That is useful, but its not BR. During your PT, circle the questions that you are not 100% percent on. These are then blind reviewed. Then grade your test and identify questions that fooled you - ones that you did not circle but got wrong nonetheless. This identifies weaknesses that you were unaware of. Going over all the question for logic, structure etc is helpful, but not strictly speaking BR.

Unless I'm mistaken, BR is going through the entire test again, untimed, prior to marking.

I've always done just the ones I was uncertain of, but I can imagine doing the entire test would be worth it, if exhausting.

I never found true BR a particularly good use of time tbh, but some swear by it.

So how do you review your questions then? Just by focusing on the ones you were unsure of?

I just marked it and then reviewed questions that caused me trouble or I got wrong, because I didn't have the attention span or self control for BR. Don't necessarily do what I did though.

but you got a ridiculously amazing score

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:37 pm

solidarity4ever wrote:Quick question about how you guys do LR drills--do you usually do drills by question type, or do you attack whole sections/parts of sections with multiple question types? I am also realizing that I didn't properly return to LR drills once I got into doing PTs in preparation for the June test, and think I will do much more of that this time around. I'm tempted to drill by whole section/parts of section because I drilled by question type before and I feel like by the time I was drilling more obscure question types I had probably become a little rusty on fundamentals/MBT.

I was referring to question type training: https://shop.powerscore.com/?action=pro ... 00O2WMdIAN

It's not the workbook-- haven't tried that.

I've begun using question type training today and it feels helpful. I can report back after using it more, but from what I've read, it helps you internalize strategy by question type so that once you're doing a full section, you can read a question stem and be ready to go. Previous to this, I was just drilling LR sections from early tests, which is helpful as well. To analogize, a basketball player practices shooting from specific spots on the court to train her muscle memory come game time, but a good player also needs to have live game-scenario practice (from 1 on 1 to 5 on 5) to be ready to play well. But, if that player is noticing that she can't seem to consistently make a left elbow jumper nearly as often as her other shots, she'll spend more time practicing that shot alone. I don't know how well that translates, but that's how I think about it.

mmart207

Bronze

Postby mmart207 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:44 pm

I have preptests 29-38, 42-51, 52-61, and 62-70. What should be my approach to drilling and practice tests? I started with a diagnostic of 144, right now I'm about a 158, with my highest being 160. My weakest section is definitely logic games. Which preptests should be used for drilling and which for actual practice tests?

augustyyy

New

Postby augustyyy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:26 pm

creed wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Science passages can be tough for me also. What's helped me on the passages is just to mark up everything as much as possible. So long as you grasp the main points, the content really shouldn't mean much, it's about reading for structure.

Thanks guys will try out!
If what is even worse than science passage for me it is the art/painting/dance/whatever. I can handle some science ones if I don't fall for those hideous words and read for structure. My biggest fear is the main point/motivation behind an artistic style type of question :roll:

augustyyy

New

Postby augustyyy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:36 pm

mmart207 wrote:I have preptests 29-38, 42-51, 52-61, and 62-70. What should be my approach to drilling and practice tests? I started with a diagnostic of 144, right now I'm about a 158, with my highest being 160. My weakest section is definitely logic games. Which preptests should be used for drilling and which for actual practice tests?

I think before 51 should be used for drill they are just too old. If possible I strongly recommend you to get PT 70 to 80s at least for me they are somewhat different, especially RC and LR

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:08 pm

augustyyy wrote:
creed wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Thanks guys will try out!
If what is even worse than science passage for me it is the art/painting/dance/whatever. I can handle some science ones if I don't fall for those hideous words and read for structure. My biggest fear is the main point/motivation behind an artistic style type of question :roll:

Haha yeah I used to not like Art and Humanities as well, however, that and even Science I go in telling myself "I will learn something from this and can use it in conversation down the road" you never know haha. Helps me get focused and into it. Although, the one science I really liked and went -0 was the bodybuilding one from PT #79(Sept 2016) since I am interested in that kinda stuff

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:09 pm

augustyyy wrote:
mmart207 wrote:I have preptests 29-38, 42-51, 52-61, and 62-70. What should be my approach to drilling and practice tests? I started with a diagnostic of 144, right now I'm about a 158, with my highest being 160. My weakest section is definitely logic games. Which preptests should be used for drilling and which for actual practice tests?

I think before 51 should be used for drill they are just too old. If possible I strongly recommend you to get PT 70 to 80s at least for me they are somewhat different, especially RC and LR

Yeah any of those are fine especially pre- 42 for drilling, however, I would def get all the latest ones, but save them for your latter end of your prep when you are strongest.

mmart207

Bronze

Postby mmart207 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:27 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
augustyyy wrote:

Yeah any of those are fine especially pre- 42 for drilling, however, I would def get all the latest ones, but save them for your latter end of your prep when you are strongest.

I have a torrent for 71-80 so I'll use that near the the test date. Out of curiosity, about when did LG sections make a big change? I feel like all the older ones are so much harder

hotdog96

New

Postby hotdog96 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:00 am

ATLANTA people: Any recommendations on testing centers? Would much prefer a table over a small desk

tapenade

New

Postby tapenade » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 am

PT 50 155->161 after blind review. Didn't BR RC as I only got 4 wrong, figured I should focus on LR and LG. Still missed 11 on the last LR section, holy crap.

It's hilarious spending three times as long on a question, only to make the same mistake using a totally different line of reasoning.

Ha..ha.. :|

hpark44

New

Postby hpark44 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:47 am

I am a recent college grad studying for the September LSAT full-time this summer in Boston. I am PTing in the mid 160s, but I want to get a 170+ and am looking to study with someone who is scoring similarly/has a similar score goal. If anyone is looking to study together/form a Boston study group, feel free to reply or PM me! (Please let me know if a post like this exists already)
Last edited by hpark44 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:49 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lurksoh4rd

New

Postby lurksoh4rd » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:09 pm

If I'm going ~-7 on LR sections--drill drill drill, or review fundamentals? The questions I'm missing are all different kinds but are only the most difficult ones according to 7sage.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?