The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
20
44%
Yeah, kind of
8
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
6
13%
Not prepared but screw it
3
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
8
18%
 
Total votes: 45

Blougram

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:49 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Blougram » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:09 pm

How did you study for LR? It is an incredible feat to score so low in LR. Any advice is appreciated.


I guess I could ask you the same when it comes to LG. :D

For me, LR sort of clicked. Except for taking a couple of PTs and reviewing my mistakes, I didn't really study for it. Years of grad school, perhaps. But it seems that most people struggling with LR improve by simply drilling the question types they tend to get wrong. I hope that's true for LG as well.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:35 pm

chewinggum wrote:
heyduchess wrote:CHECKING IN, FAM!

I'm retaking because I got a 169 but desperately want a 174. I dream about a 174.

So, I've sacrificed my birthday to the LSAT gods and I'm hoping they smile down on me in return.

Any re-take tips? I saved both SuperPreps for this and then I'll retake the most recent ones. But I have a freaky memory and know that I'll remember every question.

UGH. I'm sacrificing my birthday to them as well (tomorrow)! Fingers crossed for results!

Congrats on your score btw! 169 is a great score :)


HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Mine's the September test date weekend. Womp woooomp.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Blougram wrote:
How did you study for LR? It is an incredible feat to score so low in LR. Any advice is appreciated.


I guess I could ask you the same when it comes to LG. :D

For me, LR sort of clicked. Except for taking a couple of PTs and reviewing my mistakes, I didn't really study for it. Years of grad school, perhaps. But it seems that most people struggling with LR improve by simply drilling the question types they tend to get wrong. I hope that's true for LG as well.


The moment LR clicked for me was when I charted what questions I was missing, realized it was Assumption, and then STOPPED OVERTHINKING. Don't try to pre-phrase so hard that you're closed off to other right answers.

Csupo

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Csupo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:39 pm

What do people think is the best method for formal logic? 7sage or PowerScore (Some and Most Train)?

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Csupo wrote:What do people think is the best method for formal logic? 7sage or PowerScore (Some and Most Train)?

I like 7sage. they have a whole section in their curriculum just for formal logic.

User avatar
chewinggum

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chewinggum » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:01 pm

heyduchess wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
heyduchess wrote:CHECKING IN, FAM!

I'm retaking because I got a 169 but desperately want a 174. I dream about a 174.

So, I've sacrificed my birthday to the LSAT gods and I'm hoping they smile down on me in return.

Any re-take tips? I saved both SuperPreps for this and then I'll retake the most recent ones. But I have a freaky memory and know that I'll remember every question.

UGH. I'm sacrificing my birthday to them as well (tomorrow)! Fingers crossed for results!

Congrats on your score btw! 169 is a great score :)


HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Mine's the September test date weekend. Womp woooomp.

Thankssss. And damn, but that kind of means two bottles immediately after the test!

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:05 pm

chewinggum wrote:Thankssss. And damn, but that kind of means two bottles immediately after the test!


I think I'm going straight to a music festival after. If all goes well.

User avatar
twiix

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby twiix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:06 pm

bluelagoon2208 wrote:
twiix wrote:
bluelagoon2208 wrote:Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster in a big group thread! I started my own little thread about it but maybe you guys can give some additional advice... I've consistently scored 160-165 in timed practice tests so my 163 for the real thing was not surprising, but what was frustrating to me was that I was consistently getting 175+ in blind review (and I would feel like I was looking at questions for the first time during BR). Someone suggested using a stopwatch to help with the panicky feelings and feel more in control. Would you guys happen to have additional suggestions in terms of just not freaking out? When I BR I think the questions are soooooo easy but during the timed tests it's like I've forgotten how to even read English. I've never been a nervous test taker or nervous about anything with academics really so I'm not entirely sure how to address it...


I think you just need to keep doing timed drills until you get comfortable with that stopwatch ticking away. Also, are you running out of time and not getting to every question? If so, you would likely benefit from an effective skipping strategy on the questions that you view as tougher or bigger chance of being a time sink.


I'm not running out of time, but when I'm doing timed tests with people I feel extremely jumpy and on edge and I find myself looking around a lot even though I normally am very good at ignoring the world around me when I need to focus. I'll keep doing timed drills and I'm hoping it works... it's just so frustrating because I have NEVER been nervous for tests no matter how high the stakes were.

Come to think of it, my initial cold diagnostic was 162 and I did worse (161 then 160) on my next two timed tests. I put a lot of pressure on myself for the diagnostic just because I had high expectations for myself, but I didn't have a foggy/nervous feeling. Then two days before the first PT (after the diagnostic) I found out someone in my LSAT prep class committed a murder-suicide and I've been freaked out every time I'm doing a PT now (BR has always been at home where I obviously feel comfortable). Could the panicky feeling be normal LSAT nerves plus some other weird stuff? If so are there maybe things I can do besides the stopwatch to feel a little more calm? I've read some people have very set routines (even a very specific meal) before taking PTs. Has that helped anyone here with general feelings of stress/nerves/agitation?


I'm by no means a doctor, but maybe the suicide/murder thing impacted you psychologically? You could always get a quick consultation with a psychiatrist and see what they think; it wouldn't hurt. You could also throw in some meditation. A lot of people swear by it to really "get in the zone" for PT's.

As far as being distracted by everyone else in the room during the real thing, I would take your PT's in as similar of an environment as possible. See if there is a local testing center that does free proctoring for exams - you'd be in a quiet room with other people shuffling papers and various other white noises. If you don't have a test center, try a library. Keep an analog timing device with you to reference during the test to keep your own time (either a stop watch or a wrist watch) with a backup digital timer set which will tell you when to stop (the proctor).

The more you expose yourself to these type of environments, the more you will be able to adjust and get comfortable with them. I'd get in the routine of going to the library every saturday and taking the test around 9 am if possible. Do your typical morning before LSAT routine every week and it should become muscle memory and really take the nerves out of everything.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Not sure if anyone is interested but I'm selling my 180 watch. It worked great for the June test and about 10 PTs. PM me if interested!

User avatar
colorlesstazaki

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby colorlesstazaki » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:38 pm

twiix wrote:
I personally found The LSAT Trainer's RC the best, and Manhattan's LR the best. Some people don't like the trainers RC method though because it's pretty minimalist and not overly formulaic. But that worked for me, so ymmv.



I've heard a fair amount about Manhattan's LR, is it more comprehensive than Powerscore? I thought I was fine with LR until test day, I went for -9 on LR and I need a really strong LR program

User avatar
twiix

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby twiix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:46 pm

colorlesstazaki wrote:
twiix wrote:
I personally found The LSAT Trainer's RC the best, and Manhattan's LR the best. Some people don't like the trainers RC method though because it's pretty minimalist and not overly formulaic. But that worked for me, so ymmv.



I've heard a fair amount about Manhattan's LR, is it more comprehensive than Powerscore? I thought I was fine with LR until test day, I went for -9 on LR and I need a really strong LR program


I haven't looked through PS's LR section so I can't speak of it. But I did 7sage and The LSAT Trainer and found MH's LR complimented those two very well. I didn't read it cover to cover, but when I found a weakness I would read the new chapter in MH before drilling to touch up on the strategy and details I may have forgotten.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:06 pm

twiix wrote:
colorlesstazaki wrote:
twiix wrote:
I personally found The LSAT Trainer's RC the best, and Manhattan's LR the best. Some people don't like the trainers RC method though because it's pretty minimalist and not overly formulaic. But that worked for me, so ymmv.



I've heard a fair amount about Manhattan's LR, is it more comprehensive than Powerscore? I thought I was fine with LR until test day, I went for -9 on LR and I need a really strong LR program


I haven't looked through PS's LR section so I can't speak of it. But I did 7sage and The LSAT Trainer and found MH's LR complimented those two very well. I didn't read it cover to cover, but when I found a weakness I would read the new chapter in MH before drilling to touch up on the strategy and details I may have forgotten.


Ive read Powerscore Bible and it was great but i love the way MH is organized (i.e Start learning about argument flaws and progress through Assumption Question family q's first) and explained. I personally liked it better and found it much more helpful. Especially, coupled with the Trainer

UCLAcal

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby UCLAcal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:46 pm

I scored a 168 but had a -9 in LR.

Whats the best way to improve in LR?

I really suck at it.

I am thinking of going over Manhattan Prep LR book and then drilling.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:48 pm

UCLAcal wrote:I scored a 168 but had a -9 in LR.

Whats the best way to improve in LR?

I really suck at it.

I am thinking of going over Manhattan Prep LR book and then drilling.


I used to suck at it, too. And I think I was -4 on this exam? ANYWAY. I loved the PS Bible. I also tried to throw in a LR experimental in a majority of practice tests. (Because that was my test day worst case scenario.) It's also helpful to do drills and go back through and think "Why is this one wrong? And what makes the correct one right?"

UCLAcal

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby UCLAcal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:27 pm

heyduchess wrote:
UCLAcal wrote:I scored a 168 but had a -9 in LR.

Whats the best way to improve in LR?

I really suck at it.

I am thinking of going over Manhattan Prep LR book and then drilling.


I used to suck at it, too. And I think I was -4 on this exam? ANYWAY. I loved the PS Bible. I also tried to throw in a LR experimental in a majority of practice tests. (Because that was my test day worst case scenario.) It's also helpful to do drills and go back through and think "Why is this one wrong? And what makes the correct one right?"



Yeah! I got -9 in LR in the June 2017 test. So bummed. But it was expected.

Ill re-read the PS Bible, the Manhattan LR book, drill LR, and add LR experimentals to my tests (great idea).

Thank you!

UCLAcal

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby UCLAcal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Is anyone else's partner annoyed that you will be retaking the LSAT.

My partner kind of doesn't want me to study again but I have to do it.

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there somewhere that you can buy packets of just the logic games for drilling? It's a real pain to have to photo copy them out of the preptests. :|
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:49 pm

UCLAcal wrote:Is anyone else's partner annoyed that you will be retaking the LSAT.

My partner kind of doesn't want me to study again but I have to do it.


I don't really do relationships, so I dunno bout that. But my friend group is super annoyed haha. I was such a fun suck.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there somewhere that you can buy packets of just the logic games for drilling? It's a real pain to have to photo copy them out of the preptests. :|


Powerscore makes workbooks.

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:53 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there somewhere that you can buy packets of just the logic games for drilling? It's a real pain to have to photo copy them out of the preptests. :|


Powerscore makes workbooks.


Yeah, I've seen that they have workbooks. Have you ever used them? I've had people tell me they're not that useful, which makes me wonder if it's a lot of "naming the question type" and stuff that is already in the Bibles. Very open to insight from anyone who has used them, though.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Csupo

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Csupo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there somewhere that you can buy packets of just the logic games for drilling? It's a real pain to have to photo copy them out of the preptests. :|

7Sage has a bundle of the logic games from PTs 1-35 that you can print off. I think it's only available to Ultimate+ users, however. Also, they're not sorted by game type, if that's what you're looking for. The Cambridge packets have the games sorted by type; but these books are now out of print. PowerScore has the two books called Game Type Training that sorts games by type (https://www.amazon.com/PowerScores-LSAT ... _3?ie=UTF8).

You can also get the pdfs of PTs and make your own bundles, but more tedious this way.

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Csupo wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there somewhere that you can buy packets of just the logic games for drilling? It's a real pain to have to photo copy them out of the preptests. :|

7Sage has a bundle of the logic games from PTs 1-35 that you can print off. I think it's only available to Ultimate+ users, however. Also, they're not sorted by game type, if that's what you're looking for. The Cambridge packets have the games sorted by type; but these books are now out of print. PowerScore has the two books called Game Type Training that sorts games by type (https://www.amazon.com/PowerScores-LSAT ... _3?ie=UTF8).

You can also get the pdfs of PTs and make your own bundles, but more tedious this way.


Thank you!! This is very helpful.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cmoney $$

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Cmoney $$ » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 pm

heyduchess wrote:
UCLAcal wrote:Is anyone else's partner annoyed that you will be retaking the LSAT.

My partner kind of doesn't want me to study again but I have to do it.


I don't really do relationships, so I dunno bout that. But my friend group is super annoyed haha. I was such a fun suck.



Yes. The wife is not thrilled that I'll be studying in the evenings instead of spending time with her. After I got my score last night, she consoled me until I said "I guess I should start studying again..."

mnbv9876

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby mnbv9876 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Does anyone get wildly inconsistent scores during prep?
My first take was a 154 like 2 years ago:|
Fast forward to nowish, next baseline post starting up studying again (~2 months studying) was 158, then I hit 160. I stopped studying for 3 whole weeks, started up again, took another full test a few days later, and got 169

-__- is it a fluke? Or is this all just due to not enough consistent practice? It just all seems like a very big difference.... I mean I completely choked for the 154, but still. I feel like scores should not fluctuate that much? And for some reason, LR average on timed sections went from -6 per section to -2 average after I stopped studying for 3 weeks. Similar improvement on LG, which is my worse section. Is this an argument for refreshing your mind? Like does taking a break from it make you do better in some cases? Like for anxious test takers or something? I dunno, it is just mainly confusing

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 pm

mnbv9876 wrote:Does anyone get wildly inconsistent scores during prep?
My first take was a 154 like 2 years ago:|
Fast forward to nowish, next baseline post starting up studying again (~2 months studying) was 158, then I hit 160. I stopped studying for 3 whole weeks, started up again, took another full test a few days later, and got 169

-__- is it a fluke? Or is this all just due to not enough consistent practice? It just all seems like a very big difference.... I mean I completely choked for the 154, but still. I feel like scores should not fluctuate that much? And for some reason, LR average on timed sections went from -6 per section to -2 average after I stopped studying for 3 weeks. Similar improvement on LG, which is my worse section. Is this an argument for refreshing your mind? Like does taking a break from it make you do better in some cases? Like for anxious test takers or something? I dunno, it is just mainly confusing


I think you need a few more PTs to decide whether the 169 was a fluke or not. My PT scores go from 163-174, so I completely understand being confused by the variation. I definitely noticed that with more practice, I moved steadily into the 168-171 range. One thing to keep in mind is that some tests may play to your strengths better than others. If your strength is LR and your weakness is LG, then you might do better on a test with harder LR and easier LG. So I'd take a few more to see if your PT scores stay so high.

Do you use the 7sage tracker? If not, I highly recommend it.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 18 guests