The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
20
43%
Yeah, kind of
8
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
7
15%
Not prepared but screw it
3
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
9
19%
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
creed

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby creed » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:37 pm

PT'd today for the first time since my diagnostic last Friday. Scored a 168, up 4 since the first.

A little frustrated-- I had gone -1 and -2 on LR in the diagnostic, went -4 and -5 today. Hoping it's not a sign of things to come. Guess that means a more aggressive push on LR next week. I'm finding parellel reasoning questions to be tricky and time-consuming.

Pushed up from -3 to -2 on RC.

Went from -14 to -4 on LG, hence the score bump. This feels great-- I've just gotten through the first round of drilling basic linear questions, but the mere ability to diagram, even if only a bit, was extremely helpful.

Hoping to be consistently breaking 170 by the end of my first month studying-- fingers crossed that this isn't out of reach.

User avatar
abujabal

Bronze
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby abujabal » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Unsure how to feel about today's PT:

PT 54

RC: -5 (-4 BR) | 35:00
LR1: -2 (-1 BR) | 36:33 (due to misreading the clock at one point)
LG: -2 (No BR) | 41:27
LR2: -7 (-3 BR) | 34:40

Score: 165 (BR 170)
--
I noticed pretty much straight away on the second LR section that I was not able to focus, and a headache likely related to having gone out with friends the night before came howling back. I hope that means that if I work on stamina, I'll get to a consistent -1/-3. I'm pretty happy with what the implication of the score is though, I've been seeing it get closer to -3 on my non-PT drills, so I'm hoping that this is evidence of a new score range. Not enough evidence to say for sure.

Once again, I find myself collapsing on a more recent test's RC. This is alarming. On lower test ranges, I always go -0/1. This new "recent test -5" situation is untenable. I think I need to drill some more sections of that from more recent tests, but I don't want to cannibalize too many. I'm sort of relying on a -0/-1 on test day to help push me past the 170 range. I'm not totally blaming myself here, because I would have had time to Blind Review had I not had to spend 5 minutes on a time-killing misbubble fix, but still, untenable. Oh yeah, most frustratingly, because of the misbubble, I left question 8 blank, which is just stupid...

Logic Games sees an improvement here, and it should be noted that if I didn't totally flub my setup and have to restart the last game, I'm happier that I spent a little more time on setup, and that no game in a minute has felt "hard", per-se, but drilling will take that from a suspicion to an actuality.

Definitely somewhat demoralizing though. My PTs seem to be backsliding into the 164-166 range, and that's not OK. With 10 weeks to go, I need to get to 170+ consistently ASAP.

Questions:

* What would you recommend the best way to work on LR stamina is? I'm thinking that I may take an "LR only" test or something like that, that is, take 4 LR sections back to back. Beyond that, I'm sure just consistent drilling doesn't hurt.

* I'm weak on recent PT's RC. What recent tests should I cannibalize RC from to drill?
Last edited by abujabal on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chewinggum

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chewinggum » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:27 pm

sev wrote:

Thanks!

User avatar
HesusChrist

New
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby HesusChrist » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 pm

abujabal wrote:Unsure how to feel about today's PT:

PT 54

RC: -5 (-4 BR) | 35:00
LR1: -2 (-1 BR) | 36:33 (due to misreading the clock at one point)
LG: -2 (No BR) | 41:27
LR2: -8 (-3 BR) | 34:40

Score: 164 (BR 170)
--
I noticed pretty much straight away on the second LR section that I was not able to focus, and a headache likely related to having gone out with friends the night before came howling back. I hope that means that if I work on stamina, I'll get to a consistent -1/-3. I'm pretty happy with what the implication of the score is though, I've been seeing it get closer to -3 on my non-PT drills, so I'm hoping that this is evidence of a new score range. Not enough evidence to say for sure.

Once again, I find myself collapsing on a more recent test's RC. This is alarming. On lower test ranges, I always go -0/1. This new "recent test -5" situation is untenable. I think I need to drill some more sections of that from more recent tests, but I don't want to cannibalize too many. I'm sort of relying on a -0/-1 on test day to help push me past the 170 range. I'm not totally blaming myself here, because I would have had time to Blind Review had I not had to spend 5 minutes on a time-killing misbubble fix, but still, untenable. Oh yeah, most frustratingly, because of the misbubble, I left question 8 blank, which is just stupid...

Logic Games sees an improvement here, and it should be noted that if I didn't totally flub my setup and have to restart the last game, I'm happier that I spent a little more time on setup, and that no game in a minute has felt "hard", per-se, but drilling will take that from a suspicion to an actuality.

Definitely somewhat demoralizing though. My PTs seem to be backsliding into the 164-166 range, and that's not OK. With 10 weeks to go, I need to get to 170+ consistently ASAP.

Questions:

* What would you recommend the best way to work on LR stamina is? I'm thinking that I may take an "LR only" test or something like that, that is, take 4 LR sections back to back. Beyond that, I'm sure just consistent drilling doesn't hurt.

* I'm weak on recent PT's RC. What recent tests should I cannibalize RC from to drill?


Not bad dude. To be honest, the reading comp is not much different. Don't psych yourself out. Some of the hardest passages are before PT 54. I do think you should be more strict with your timing. What makes the LSAT difficult is the time pressure. An extra 6 mins to do LG makes a world of difference.

User avatar
abujabal

Bronze
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby abujabal » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:48 pm

HesusChrist wrote:
abujabal wrote:



Thanks - appreciate the insight as always. Looking to I think do some intensive LG tomorrow in that case. Was thinking to myself in between writing that and now that ultimately going -0 but 5 minutes over isn't going to matter if I'm out of time with six questions unanswered. Intensive drilling for this awaits.

On the plus side, it seems that your advice about slowing down a bit on LR seems to have helped. Now for adding stamina, I suppose.

Thinking of taking another test on Tuesday (happy 4th I guess) to see if intense LG drilling tomorrow and stamina drills on Monday will change anything. If I'm honest, I'm doing my best not to panic a bit, and remember that after I move cross-country on July 12 I'll have completely empty days to improve my score.

User avatar
HesusChrist

New
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby HesusChrist » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:13 pm

abujabal wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:
abujabal wrote:



Thanks - appreciate the insight as always. Looking to I think do some intensive LG tomorrow in that case. Was thinking to myself in between writing that and now that ultimately going -0 but 5 minutes over isn't going to matter if I'm out of time with six questions unanswered. Intensive drilling for this awaits.

On the plus side, it seems that your advice about slowing down a bit on LR seems to have helped. Now for adding stamina, I suppose.

Thinking of taking another test on Tuesday (happy 4th I guess) to see if intense LG drilling tomorrow and stamina drills on Monday will change anything. If I'm honest, I'm doing my best not to panic a bit, and remember that after I move cross-country on July 12 I'll have completely empty days to improve my score.


Good to hear. You should see improvement LG drilling. And after the 12th, two months of straight LSAT should be plenty of time to see substantial improvements.

I did PT 43 today and BRd. Scored 175 (LR: -4, RC: -3, LG: -0). Turned the page halfway through RC and realized that my printer had missed two sheets, had to pause the PT and print the questions. Then I forgot a bunch of the passage and had to rush though the Q's. Not good. I did show me how important concentration is in RC. If you're distracted, your mind is wandering, or are not "into a passage", then forget it.

I'm not too jazzed on LR either. Can't seem to break this plateau and move into high 170 territory. I would like to go -0 in LR on test day, but at this rate its not going to happen. If anyone has some tips, let me know.

User avatar
abujabal

Bronze
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby abujabal » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:25 pm

HesusChrist wrote:
abujabal wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:
abujabal wrote:



Thanks - appreciate the insight as always. Looking to I think do some intensive LG tomorrow in that case. Was thinking to myself in between writing that and now that ultimately going -0 but 5 minutes over isn't going to matter if I'm out of time with six questions unanswered. Intensive drilling for this awaits.

On the plus side, it seems that your advice about slowing down a bit on LR seems to have helped. Now for adding stamina, I suppose.

Thinking of taking another test on Tuesday (happy 4th I guess) to see if intense LG drilling tomorrow and stamina drills on Monday will change anything. If I'm honest, I'm doing my best not to panic a bit, and remember that after I move cross-country on July 12 I'll have completely empty days to improve my score.


Good to hear. You should see improvement LG drilling. And after the 12th, two months of straight LSAT should be plenty of time to see substantial improvements.

I did PT 43 today and BRd. Scored 175 (LR: -4, RC: -3, LG: -0). Turned the page halfway through RC and realized that my printer had missed two sheets, had to pause the PT and print the questions. Then I forgot a bunch of the passage and had to rush though the Q's. Not good. I did show me how important concentration is in RC. If you're distracted, your mind is wandering, or are not "into a passage", then forget it.

I'm not too jazzed on LR either. Can't seem to break this plateau and move into high 170 territory. I would like to go -0 in LR on test day, but at this rate its not going to happen. If anyone has some tips, let me know.


Cheers to that - going to have to make sure it's the case.

Regarding the LR stuff, any data on which questions you seem to be consistently missing? Have you been entering the data into the 7Sage analytics tool? That gives me a lot of insight, but holding tests next to each other has also made me realize I usually end up missing the "next to last" question all the time. Additionally, doing a PT report at the end of a BR seems to help as well, wherein I look at every question I got wrong, and handwrite why I missed the question. Definitely helped me see how many questions I missed due to "read the details in the adjectives/adverbs of the AC"

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:58 am

looking over PT55 during review, and noticed that I misinterpreted a rule on one of the games, which made me get only 2 questions of that game right

Image

need to read more carefully!!! that is so upsetting!

User avatar
HesusChrist

New
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby HesusChrist » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Mikey wrote:looking over PT55 during review, and noticed that I misinterpreted a rule on one of the games, which made me get only 2 questions of that game right

need to read more carefully!!! that is so upsetting!


Yea, I feel you. My mistakes on LG a couple weeks ago decreased when I decided not to rush setups or rule translations. Precise, neat and clear writing is crucial. The rules and game board is not where you make up time.

User avatar
earlyfrost

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby earlyfrost » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:34 pm

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to study because of work and other issues, so I'll be taking the test in February instead of September. I'm already more than half ways done with studying; I'll just be PTing until February. I could then submit my apps as soon as schools begin accepting them, which will give me an even better opportunity to get into the schools I really want to attend.

Good luck to everyone taking it in September!

User avatar
creed

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby creed » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Wanted to get some RC drilling in and see some real LR questions so I PT'd again today.

PT 22: 171 (-4 LG, -5 LR I, -0 LR II, -3 RC).

I've got to develop more of a consistency on LR. Any advice on how to do that? (I've to date only studied three LRB sections-- Strengthen/Weaken, Assumption, Flaw-- but I'm seeing my biggest losses on assumption questions regardless).

I'm hoping LG will continue to come down as I begin to practice new game types-- should be moving on to grouping from linear in a couple days.

I've been sitting at -2/-3 on RC. 7Sage is telling me that the questions I'm missing are typically the more difficult ones, so I'm trying to decide how to deal with that as well.

User avatar
creed

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby creed » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Thought I'd check in here before I buy-- do folks recommend the PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning: Question Type Training book?

https://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT- ... e+Training

I am more than willing to buy if it can actually help with LR.

User avatar
somebodyelse

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:53 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby somebodyelse » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:17 pm

I've been consistently doing better on my second LR section recently [last four tests: -3/-1, -2/-0, -3/-0, -5/0]. Been happening to anyone else? I'm thinking maybe I needed to get warmed up for LR, might try doing 10 or so problems as a warm up before my next prep test. Could also just be an anomaly.

User avatar
somebodyelse

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:53 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby somebodyelse » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:22 pm

creed wrote:Thought I'd check in here before I buy-- do folks recommend the PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning: Question Type Training book?

https://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT- ... e+Training

I am more than willing to buy if it can actually help with LR.


I've been using the cambridge packets (same thing essentially). Extremely helpful. For me, every time I drill some LR section I see immediate improvement in that question type on my next prep test.

User avatar
tapenade

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby tapenade » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:30 am

Is anyone having more trouble with the older tests? Not sure if I'm just stressed, but it seems like with every test I take (progressively older ones) I do a bit worse. I'm usually -5/6 on LR, but recently went -8. RC was even worse.

I feel like I need to change things up. What would you guys recommend for someone who only has an hour or two for studying during the week? I feel like I'm not building any momentum.

ugatvandy

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby ugatvandy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Do y'all think that practicing old RC sections (tests 1-49, for example) will help with new ones? I'm trying to put today 5 or so 5-section tests of just RC so that I can become more familiar with it/practice it more. I thought about getting the PowerScore RC workbook, but worried that I would recognize the RC sections once I started doing full practice tests again. Any advice?

User avatar
HesusChrist

New
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby HesusChrist » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:36 pm

ugatvandy wrote:Do y'all think that practicing old RC sections (tests 1-49, for example) will help with new ones? I'm trying to put today 5 or so 5-section tests of just RC so that I can become more familiar with it/practice it more. I thought about getting the PowerScore RC workbook, but worried that I would recognize the RC sections once I started doing full practice tests again. Any advice?


Absolutely they will help. I am less convinced than others that RC has changed all that much. The fundamentals are still the same - read for structure (authors opinion, main point, the function of a paragraph(s)) and treat questions like you would Most Supported in LR. Correct ACs will be supported by the text, wrong answer choices will not be. The more you practice this, the easier RC will become.

User avatar
Impressionist

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Impressionist » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Well, as of Sunday I've officially finished my 'Studying and Drilling' portion of my preparation and am starting the 'Timed PT with Blind Review' part. Plan on doing all the PTs 45-80 between now and the LSAT.

Starting off with PT 45 got:
- Timed: 172
- Blind Review: 178
-2LR, -4RC, -0LG, -5LR

I'm a big fan of blind review so far. Helps build confidence by showing you understand the material while clearly exposing the subjects you're weakest on (weaken, parallel, and justify for me).

At this point I've honestly given up at getting RC to a consistent high score. Instead 100% of my non-PT time is going into getting LR and LG to -0. I'm confident this is a prudent and achievable strategy.

CottonHarvest

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby CottonHarvest » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Took what I am calling my first "official" PT today.

PT 58:
LR1 -0
RC -2
LG -1
LR2 -1
Total -4
177!!

I did not expect to do this well, is this considered an "easy" test?

User avatar
digitality

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby digitality » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi guys, newbie here. Do I have time to get to 172?

Wrapped up 4th week on LSAT Trainer 20 test study plan. Enjoying it; much more fun than the MCAT. Cold diagnostic four weeks ago = 162. Just graded my first full PT since then.

PT 63

LR1 -5
LG -5
LR2 -3
RC -1

167

I'm good at RC. Given 42 to 45 minutes I can go —3 to — 0 on games. I can feel myself getting better at LR. Given unlimited time, I feel i can easily hit 172 (so can a lot of people, of course). Right now i'm interpreting that as meaning i have the cognitive ability to answer enough questions correctly, i just need to put in the work to pull it off in time. First, is that a correct assumption? Second, if i am correct, do I have enough time?

One wrinkle: I move on August 15th to start grad school. Idk how much i'll be able to study once I start my masters program. Right now I'm operating under the assumption that between now and test day (~10.5 weeks) I have time for about 7 true weeks of studying. In addition to the Trainer, i have the Manhattan LR, which i plan to break out next week. (The plan is to either leave academia in 2 years with my MA and apply to law school, or, if i have the guts to risk becoming the world's most overqualified barista, stay for the PhD. I gather an MA is a pretty insignificant soft, but I love what I'm studying and maybe it'll make me look good next to K-JD kids.) I do worry that if I don't take in September i will lose any sharpness i've got by the time December rolls around, especially since I'll be grading finals on top of taking my own...

And like everyone and their mother, I'd love to go CCN or even HS, so I'd rather not retake. Thanks, sorry if i've broken any rules! Figured I'd try this existing thread first because newbies are always getting harangued for starting unnecessary threads. But i guess if I don't get many bites i'll have to risk it...

littlewing67

Silver
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby littlewing67 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:10 pm

.
Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:10 pm

digitality wrote:Hi guys, newbie here. Do I have time to get to 172?

Wrapped up 4th week on LSAT Trainer 20 test study plan. Enjoying it; much more fun than the MCAT. Cold diagnostic four weeks ago = 162. Just graded my first full PT since then.

PT 63

LR1 -5
LG -5
LR2 -3
RC -1

167

I'm good at RC. Given 42 to 45 minutes I can go —3 to — 0 on games. I can feel myself getting better at LR. Given unlimited time, I feel i can easily hit 172 (so can a lot of people, of course). Right now i'm interpreting that as meaning i have the cognitive ability to answer enough questions correctly, i just need to put in the work to pull it off in time. First, is that a correct assumption? Second, if i am correct, do I have enough time?

One wrinkle: I move on August 15th to start grad school. Idk how much i'll be able to study once I start my masters program. Right now I'm operating under the assumption that between now and test day (~10.5 weeks) I have time for about 7 true weeks of studying. In addition to the Trainer, i have the Manhattan LR, which i plan to break out next week. (The plan is to either leave academia in 2 years with my MA and apply to law school, or, if i have the guts to risk becoming the world's most overqualified barista, stay for the PhD. I gather an MA is a pretty insignificant soft, but I love what I'm studying and maybe it'll make me look good next to K-JD kids.) I do worry that if I don't take in September i will lose any sharpness i've got by the time December rolls around, especially since I'll be grading finals on top of taking my own...

And like everyone and their mother, I'd love to go CCN or even HS, so I'd rather not retake. Thanks, sorry if i've broken any rules! Figured I'd try this existing thread first because newbies are always getting harangued for starting unnecessary threads. But i guess if I don't get many bites i'll have to risk it...


Great first PT Score!! Its a difficult question to answer. Its likely that you will since you are already scoring 165+, however, the 170 is the next hump you will have to conquer. Everyone is different. YOu might beat that your next PT in a week or it may take you 20 days...either way just stay studying relentlessly and you will eventually get there.

Good Luck!

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:11 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Start of week 5 - I've been putting off doing full PTs, and working on drilling via cambridge packets. Finished trainer and working on Bibles, trying to finish them quickly though. Did my first PT today, PT 43 and wow did it kick my ass. Barely had time left to finish RC + LG (first one had confusing rules?), but finished each LR with 2/3 minutes left. Haven't checked my answers yet, and am still BRing the first section, and I have already changed a couple answers...............Not too confident what my score is going to look like. Welp :? But I'm finishing the bibles this week and going to full PTing mode next week and for the reminder of my studies. Last summer I was PTing at an average of 168/169 - but I really neglected BR because it is painfully long and boring and I want to rush and figure out how I did. Hopefully I've learned since then and can improve my fundamental understanding of the questions :mrgreen:

Instead of celebrating the 4th of july with friends and family, I will be finishing my BR while eating vegan hot dogs. Woo!


Ayy good stuff! If it makes you feel any better I am at a similar stage (behind where I would like to be but thats Ok)..Staying in on the 4th as well to make up for it.

Csupo

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Csupo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:25 pm

How do people drill RC? Any books you guys would recommend? 7Sage does have the Question Bank, so I suppose I could use that to drill passages from the first several PTs.

littlewing67

Silver
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby littlewing67 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:26 pm

.
Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests