The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
19%

Total votes: 47

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:08 pm

HesusChrist wrote:PT 42: 175 (BR: 180) LR: -4, LG: -0, RC - 2. Not really improving as I would like to in LR, was hoping to consistently hitting -0 at this point. Looked at some analytics and my worst question type is flaws. Going to crack open the Cambridge drill packs and hit Q's to try and improve a point or two.

What does your current study schedule look like? If you don't mind, please be as detailed as possible.

Ira Hayes

New

Postby Ira Hayes » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:42 pm

conker wrote:
Ira Hayes wrote:Decided to do timed drilling today. Went -0 on 2 LR sections, -3 on a LG section and -7 on RC. Still gloom about RC, but I've heard the Trainer works wonders so I ordered that today.

I'm always looking for ways to learn new angles to the RC section. Let us know how the Trainer goes! I only have the PowerScore RC Bible so far. I am only half way through it. It is good for what I paid for it (nothing). I would not drop the money on it brand new, though. I would just go read it at Barnes and Noble every few days for an hour or two.

I jumped to the RC section of the trainer and read through it, the minimalist approach may be for me since my RC passages (only one at a time in a packet) have been going -0/2 per passage. Not great but an improvement.

gaandrsn

New

Postby gaandrsn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:12 am

jpal21 wrote:This thread is massive! haha but a quick question for those who work full time and studying, do you wake up early and study or study after work? I usually study after work but I feel like I should start studying in the mornings to get a better idea of test day.

Studying before work seems to work the best for me. I typically wake up at 5am, head to the gym, study from about 6:15-7:15 then finish my morning routine and head to work. Also study some on the weekends. I study occasionally over lunch and in the evening but it has been spotty.

My goal in January was to study 15 hours week, that turned into 10 hours a week and then I was only doing about 5 in April and May. I needed some extra motivation to get back on track, because $100k's in scholarships isn't enough. I found this app called stickK that let's you set a goal and put $ on the line. If I don't study at least 10 hours/week, I pay $20 that week to a Super PAC supporting the political party I don't support.

I've hit my goal of 10 hours/week so far this month and cracked 170 for the first time on my PT this past Saturday.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:53 am

Q for the group:

Starting July 12, I have basically unlimited time/day until September to study. Currently, I'm at -0/-2 on RC, -4/-6 on LR, and -0/-2 (but 36:00-50:00) on LG. Because of multiple factors, I'm going to have limited time between now and the 12th to study beyond maintenance drills and 1 PT/week.

How would y'all recommend I structure/focus my studying in that period? Right now, I'm thinking I do LG intensive drills by doing 4-5 sections back to back over the course of 2-3 hours, blind reviewing, and intensively doing the 7Sage method. I feel like that should be my main focus for at least a week to a week and a half. For LR, I think just constant drilling and taking 2 PTs/wk + drilling what I get wrong based on the 7Sage analytics will work. I'll up to 3 PTs every other week in mid-August.

Thoughts? Too little? Too much? All applied in the wrong direction?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:08 am

Last edited by Alexandros on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:11 am

Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:Q for the group:

Starting July 12, I have basically unlimited time/day until September to study. Currently, I'm at -0/-2 on RC, -4/-6 on LR, and -0/-2 (but 36:00-50:00) on LG. Because of multiple factors, I'm going to have limited time between now and the 12th to study beyond maintenance drills and 1 PT/week.

How would y'all recommend I structure/focus my studying in that period? Right now, I'm thinking I do LG intensive drills by doing 4-5 sections back to back over the course of 2-3 hours, blind reviewing, and intensively doing the 7Sage method. I feel like that should be my main focus for at least a week to a week and a half. For LR, I think just constant drilling and taking 2 PTs/wk + drilling what I get wrong based on the 7Sage analytics will work. I'll up to 3 PTs every other week in mid-August.

Thoughts? Too little? Too much? All applied in the wrong direction?

Have you tried doing individual games timed, repeating ones you've seen before, until you're ~8 min per game (excepting the most difficult)? I would really work on the fundamentals and getting the timing down before proceeding. Packs of five repeats timed to 35 minutes is also a good strategy, once you're at that point.

For LR, drill by type. Try to identify and improve on your weaknesses. If you're getting 4-6 wrong because of timing rather than accuracy issues, work on that.

I would avoid doing PTs until you're consistently doing individual sections within 35 minutes with minimal errors. If you do a PT, don't allow yourself to go overtime. 7sage has an app for proctoring that gives you the five minute warning and whatnot.

I haven't been repeating LGs, though I think that may be the thing to do. So I take it then that even if I've seen it before, keep repeating an LG until it's down to 8:00? Going to have to find access to a printer, but definitely doable.

Only taken 3 PTs thus far. Oddly, been within time range on all sections for the last two. I think I've just been lucky with games though.

That reminds me - I should grade the LR section I took today. Specifically went slower to focus on questions more, so we'll see if that helped.

Thanks!

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:18 am

Last edited by Alexandros on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:23 am

Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

That's what I meant yeah absolutely. Thanks! Been wondering where you and DJ have been recently

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:42 am

Checking in. Have done a few PTs and a clear trend is emerging. I'm averaging (-2,-2-,2) on LR and RC and averaging around -11 or -12 on LG. It's quite frustrating, as I know if I just got a hang of the section that is most learn-able I'd be 172+, but I just can't seem to grasp these things. I'm pretty accurate when I do a game in BR or otherwise without time pressure, but see a big drop when I try to hold myself to eight minutes, and fall further when I attempt to string them together into a 35 minute sections. Grouping games in particular are a big hangup. I feel like I can't do any more PTs until I get this straightened out, but I also feel like doing the games I've tackled previously every day until I can complete them totally from memory doesn't seem to be indicative of whether I'm actually improving.

TL;DR: I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to LG improvement. Very slow to make inferences and the like.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:39 pm

fucking tanked a PT today. knew it was a bad idea to do one without having the fucks to give to actual do it.

focus is a huge thing on this test, and now my confidence got penetrated without lube because I'm stupid and didn't go with my gut feeling of not doing a PT today :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Checking in back to full-time, all day every day, Full-speed LSAT prep!!
The last 3 weeks I have been on-and-off and really wasted most of the time. I took a well-needed vacay and then 3 days later ended up on another trip to LA for some shenanigans for 5 days where I only got ~8 hrs of prep done total these past 5 days. While I honestly needed this break from life (havent been on a vacay to let off steam in over a yr till then), I am anxious and ready to get back to crushing LSAT because I really need too. The timeline is making me nervous, but I just gotta make the most of it and be disciplined.

So far so Good today... Been keeping up with Drilling Assumption Fam, and Linear/Adv linear games in JUne.

I look to finish MH w/i in the week start drilling the rest with a full PT regimen and reviewing.

I will say I am nervous due to the remainder of the timeline, however, all the stuff I have done so far I understand very well and am consistently doing well timing wise for Games and Questions and Getting nearly all of them right with a few mishaps here and there. Sooo Progressing well...just gotta put my head down and give this a valiant and staunch effort!!

Time to CRUSH it

ms9

Gold

Postby ms9 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:44 pm

If anyone wants a break from studying, here are our predictions for this upcoming admissions cycle:

==error==/predic ... hool-cyce/

Just kidding, you should never take a break from studying.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Mikey wrote:fucking tanked a PT today. knew it was a bad idea to do one without having the fucks to give to actual do it.

focus is a huge thing on this test, and now my confidence got penetrated without lube because I'm stupid and didn't go with my gut feeling of not doing a PT today :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ahh noo Mikey! Just shrug it off and pretend it didnt happen. Youll kill the next one

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:Checking in back to full-time, all day every day, Full-speed LSAT prep!!
The last 3 weeks I have been on-and-off and really wasted most of the time. I took a well-needed vacay and then 3 days later ended up on another trip to LA for some shenanigans for 5 days where I only got ~8 hrs of prep done total these past 5 days. While I honestly needed this break from life (havent been on a vacay to let off steam in over a yr till then), I am anxious and ready to get back to crushing LSAT because I really need too. The timeline is making me nervous, but I just gotta make the most of it and be disciplined.

So far so Good today... Been keeping up with Drilling Assumption Fam, and Linear/Adv linear games in JUne.

I look to finish MH w/i in the week start drilling the rest with a full PT regimen and reviewing.

I will say I am nervous due to the remainder of the timeline, however, all the stuff I have done so far I understand very well and am consistently doing well timing wise for Games and Questions and Getting nearly all of them right with a few mishaps here and there. Sooo Progressing well...just gotta put my head down and give this a valiant and staunch effort!!

Time to CRUSH it

This makes me soooo anxious lol. My birthday is next week and I don't even want to do anything bc people on here gave me a 180 or bust mindset :?

What timeline are you on?

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Just -0'd a LG section for the first time ever. *confetti*

I would say PT50 was the easiest PT I've ever taken with a -1/-2 on LR but I -8'd the RC section. :/ was kinda distracted for it but didn't think I'd do that badly.

Ah well, one step back, two steps forward and all that.

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:46 pm

chewinggum wrote:This makes me soooo anxious lol. My birthday is next week and I don't even want to do anything bc people on here gave me a 180 or bust mindset :?

Me too. Even when I do practice, I've noticed myself slowing down on easy questions at the beginning of LR sections instead of trusting myself, because I'm trying so hard for perfection.

Better to get that feeling out now than on test day, I suppose.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Last edited by chewinggum on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:27 pm

chewinggum wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Checking in back to full-time, all day every day, Full-speed LSAT prep!!

Time to CRUSH it

This makes me soooo anxious lol. My birthday is next week and I don't even want to do anything bc people on here gave me a 180 or bust mindset :?

What timeline are you on?

Taking Sept.. Just meant time is FLYING haha and behind on where I planned to be in this prep!

Roddy618

New

Postby Roddy618 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Do you guys make flash cards for memorizing certain elements of the test that should be dedicated to memory? Wondering if this would be advantageous for when I'm waiting on someone or something and I can have these handy to drill with.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Roddy618 wrote:Do you guys make flash cards for memorizing certain elements of the test that should be dedicated to memory? Wondering if this would be advantageous for when I'm waiting on someone or something and I can have these handy to drill with.

Na i just am taking notes on the material in the prep notes and review it time to time like a study guide. I feel like flash cards would take too long and youd be focusing on the wrong aspect of the test. You dont really need to take the time to memorize any of the material per se because when you drill Q-Type you should be picking it up and youll naturally remember it

lurksoh4rd

New

Postby lurksoh4rd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Prep test 71-80 are only available individually, correct?

HesusChrist

New

Postby HesusChrist » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
HesusChrist wrote:PT 42: 175 (BR: 180) LR: -4, LG: -0, RC - 2. Not really improving as I would like to in LR, was hoping to consistently hitting -0 at this point. Looked at some analytics and my worst question type is flaws. Going to crack open the Cambridge drill packs and hit Q's to try and improve a point or two.

What does your current study schedule look like? If you don't mind, please be as detailed as possible.

Sure. Given that we are about ten weeks out, I generally do a PT from 40-70 every other day. Sundays are PT 70+. Drill weaknesses on off days.

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:45 pm

Drilled the rest of basic linear today, so I've gone through my first attempt at the balanced, underfunded and overloaded linear questions up to PT 40 (using T14's classifications).

Good news: for the most part, I'm going -0 or -1 on games.

Bad news: for the most part, I'm completing games in 10-11 minutes.

However, I can feel myself getting the hang of diagramming. 7sage videos really help; it's stunning how many games are made simple by splitting the board.

Took a full RC section yesterday (PT 20, I think). -2, compared to -3 on my diagnostic. Reviewed today as well. Luckily the two questions I missed were two of the more difficult ones, so no fluke.

Once I've read through and practiced Assumption, Weaken/Strengthen and Flaw, is it appropriate to begin drilling LR sections?

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:56 am

Does anyone have suggestions for purchasing LR by type to drill? I currently have PS 1-20 but PS 21-40 is ridiculously priced on Amazon.

Thanks!

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:51 am

chewinggum wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for purchasing LR by type to drill? I currently have PS 1-20 but PS 21-40 is ridiculously priced on Amazon.

Thanks!

I have Kaplan's mastery and timing practice books which I bought for cheap off of a friend who took a Kaplan class. I think they're from PT20-40. In any case, they're super well laid out and have both full sections and questions divided by type and difficulty.

Seems a little expensive on amazon ($27) but maybe try eBay?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?