The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

chargers21

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dm1683 wrote:^really? I'm exactly the opposite. I'm a sucker for gothic architecture.

Sammee.

The Duke UG campus is drop dead gorgeous imo.

Can confirm. You should check out my UG for a gorgeous too (Berk of course)

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:10 pm

clueless801 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
clueless801 wrote:I actually sent this one page guide because my letter writers typically write for grad students, and in my email I had to differentiate between what's good in a law school LOR and a grad school LOR. I wouldn't send this though - just stay in contact with your writer and send regular updates. Make them a part of the process.

Is this a guide you drafted or found online?

That's what I'm worried about. I'm positive he's never written a recommendation for a law school application and I really don't want it to hurt.

Guide provided courtesy of someone who's helping me with apps! Wish I could share it but it's not really mine to share outside of the professors I sent it to. But Google "Recommendation Letters - Chris Blattman" because that definitely helped!

Will do. Thanks!

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:13 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Ya'll should check out my library. Absolutely gorgeous.
[+] Spoiler

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:22 pm

I missed the psych major bashing :?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:28 pm

chargers21 wrote:I missed the psych major bashing :?

Well, wait a minute. I was a psych major. No bashing!

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Ya'll should check out my library. Absolutely gorgeous.

Damn, it's almost as gorgeous as ours! #concreteblocks4lyfe

Our campus is so weird. There's a third with really nice old buildings. There's another third on the opposite side of campus with really nice modern buildings. Then right in the middle is all disgusting brutalist-style bullshit like that.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:44 pm

chewinggum wrote:

I always assumed most psych, crim, etc. majors were people who didn't know what they wanted to do when they enrolled at university. :lol:

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:52 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

I always assumed most psych, crim, etc. majors were people who didn't know what they wanted to do when they enrolled at university. :lol:

I'm confused by "etc."

I switched from poli sci (or govt politics as my UG calls it) to psych because psych is interesting and law schools don't have pre reqs. I thought it would be extremely easy but I didn't consider the fact my UG is a research campus and requires pathways lol

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:02 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

I was also a psych major, and this bashing hurts :(

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:06 pm

chewinggum wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

I'm confused by "etc."

I switched from poli sci (or govt politics as my UG calls it) to psych because psych is interesting and law schools don't have pre reqs. I thought it would be extremely easy but I didn't consider the fact my UG is a research campus and requires pathways lol

Just a disclaimer, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those majors. I think a lot of the content is very interesting, but I have quite a few friends in those programs (along with sociology, anthropology, communications, polisci) who don't know why they picked the major they did I'm sure that happens in other majors too, it just seems to happen a lot more in the social sciences. I was just joking with you about the psych bashing is all!

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:07 pm

chargers21 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

I was also a psych major, and this bashing hurts :(

I'm just kidding <3 I bash one of my own majors more than any other, lol.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:08 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Our campus is so weird. There's a third with really nice old buildings. There's another third on the opposite side of campus with really nice modern buildings. Then right in the middle is all disgusting brutalist-style bullshit like that.

Aren't you at UC Berkeley? It's probably to protect law students from Molotov cocktails thrown by restless undergrads.

Fun fact: some of the dorms at Cornell are actually designed to be riot proof. The only stairs up are the fire escape and you otherwise need to use an elevator.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

I'm confused by "etc."

Yeah, most psyc and other life science people I know are academia/research gunners or med school gunners (or both).

Psych was a blow off department for people at my school for the social and cognitive tracks, but the neuroscience track (me) was largely research gunners and med school peeps. I was the only law school applicant that I knew, besides my friend who scored a 180 for fun but never applied and wasn't planning on it. He's going to live in Africa for a few years before med school. But the intro psych classes were mostly dum dums who thought a BA in psych meant they could work as a psychiatrist

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:13 pm

34iplaw wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Aren't you at UC Berkeley? It's probably to protect law students from Molotov cocktails thrown by restless undergrads.

Fun fact: some of the dorms at Cornell are actually designed to be riot proof. The only stairs up are the fire escape and you otherwise need to use an elevator.

Aren't we all at UC Berkeley? :lol: I'll also need some Wellies to cross the creek to get to class.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

I'm confused by "etc."

Just a disclaimer, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those majors. I think a lot of the content is very interesting, but I have quite a few friends in those programs (along with sociology, anthropology, communications, polisci) who don't know why they picked the major they did I'm sure that happens in other majors too, it just seems to happen a lot more in the social sciences. I was just joking with you about the psych bashing is all!

Most of my psych courses are memorizing molecules and receptors, anatomy, what happens when you put this chemical into this part of the brain, etc. Idk if it's really a social science.

Sorry, I just looked at my school's programs. They have a BA and a BSc in Psych, but it's on the social science faculty website. :lol: Go figure. The BA has a lot of fluff that social science programs have in it, and the BSc has a lot of hard science in it. Neuroscience is a completely different program here; it's a specialization you can do within Biomed. So obviously it varies. I'm talking about the BA lol. But yeah, not a social science. Got confused because it's on the social science faculty website.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:46 pm

Yay my Mastermind watch just came in :)

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Most of my psych courses are memorizing molecules and receptors, anatomy, what happens when you put this chemical into this part of the brain, etc. Idk if it's really a social science.

Sorry, I just looked at my school's programs. They have a BA and a BSc in Psych, but it's on the social science faculty website. :lol: Go figure. The BA has a lot of fluff that social science programs have in it, and the BSc has a lot of hard science in it. Neuroscience is a completely different program here; it's a specialization you can do within Biomed. So obviously it varies. I'm talking about the BA lol.

Ah - fair enough. We don't have an independent neuroscience department here so most of my courses are psyc with a smattering of bio and physiology. again, never taken a non-neuro psych course - they're likely much more social science-y.

Yeah. There's a lot of like "Human Sexuality" and "Child Development" and "Interpersonal Relationships" type stuff, which was what I was thinking of when I said social scienc-y. I would definitely put neuro stuff in with life sciences.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:38 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dm1683 wrote:^really? I'm exactly the opposite. I'm a sucker for gothic architecture.

Sammee.

Lol the law building in my city looks like a basketball stadium. Of course it's right next to the damn freeway so theres not exactly much they could have done.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 pm

dm1683 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Sammee.

Lol the law building in my city looks like a basketball stadium. Of course it's right next to the damn freeway so theres not exactly much they could have done.

I meant campus in generral. The LS looks pretty normal compared to most buildings here

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?