The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

34iplaw

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:01 am

Walked 12 miles around Duke today. Almost hit a deer on my way to UVA. I feel like that and the plane were signs from above.

Also, laundry machine in hotel decided to not run my load pushing my sleep back a half hour. Why have I been forsaken?
Perhaps, I will eek out 7 hours tonight.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:38 am

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 am

vtdelt wrote:
chewinggum wrote:Coming home to find my puppy completely chewed up my Kaplan book but left my PS book alone :idea:

Smart puppy.

I'm also biased because Kaplan didn't do much for me when I did this 12 years ago. PS books and a local program have been so much better for my cycle. Maybe I had a crappy instructor but I've definitely seen a chunk of negative attitude to Kaplan on here

Seriously. I took a Kaplan class my junior year and my instructor was awful. I'm glad I'm self-studying this time around. I'm using PS too, which I like, but their RC hasn't helped me much. I'm switching to the Trainer and Manhattan for RC per @ngogirl & @dj9197 lol

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 am

So my BR scores are in the 170's but my timed scores aren't. Wtf do I have to do

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 am

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Walked 12 miles around Duke today. Almost hit a deer on my way to UVA. I feel like that and the plane were signs from above.

Also, laundry machine in hotel decided to not run my load pushing my sleep back a half hour. Why have I been forsaken?

so seeing both which do you like?

I'm just about to get out of bed at UVA. I just got here at 3am. I'll let you know. Duke has a really nice and impressive campus, but it's weird being on empty campuses.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:36 am

chewinggum wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
chewinggum wrote:Coming home to find my puppy completely chewed up my Kaplan book but left my PS book alone :idea:

Smart puppy.

I'm also biased because Kaplan didn't do much for me when I did this 12 years ago. PS books and a local program have been so much better for my cycle. Maybe I had a crappy instructor but I've definitely seen a chunk of negative attitude to Kaplan on here

Seriously. I took a Kaplan class my junior year and my instructor was awful. I'm glad I'm self-studying this time around. I'm using PS too, which I like, but their RC hasn't helped me much. I'm switching to the Trainer and Manhattan for RC per @ngogirl & @dj9197 lol

Yea, PS's RC method didn't really work well for me. I also did a prep course through a local vendor and some 1:1 tutoring and have gone up 15 points in 3ish months. Feel free to PM me if you want their method for comparison. I feel like their comparative one is clutch, at least for me.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 am

34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Walked 12 miles around Duke today. Almost hit a deer on my way to UVA. I feel like that and the plane were signs from above.

so seeing both which do you like?

I'm just about to get out of bed at UVA. I just got here at 3am. I'll let you know. Duke has a really nice and impressive campus, but it's weird being on empty campuses.

Interested to hear your comparative assessment as well
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:56 am

Anon-e-miss wrote:Interested to hear your comparative assessment as well

I'll post later tonight! Or I can wait until after Georgetown.

My suspicion (based on when I was last at UVA) is that UVA feels more like a college should (maybe that's my UG being a similar mix of gorgeous buildings and vastly overaged facilities) compared to Duke. The Duke campus is quite insane at how nice and recent everything is/looks (that I saw at least). That said, UVA may have changed a great deal since I was here last. I was informed in Chapel Hill that I lucked out at usually the area is hot and humid as hell. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 am

34iplaw wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:Interested to hear your comparative assessment as well

I'll post later tonight! Or I can wait until after Georgetown.

My suspicion (based on when I was last at UVA) is that UVA feels more like a college should (maybe that's my UG being a similar mix of gorgeous buildings and vastly overaged facilities) compared to Duke. The Duke campus is quite insane at how nice and recent everything is/looks (that I saw at least). That said, UVA may have changed a great deal since I was here last. I was informed in Chapel Hill that I lucked out at usually the area is hot and humid as hell. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Do you feel that there is a marked cultural difference between the two? I'm from the Midwest and not particularly averse to the South, but I was curious if Duke was significantly more "southern" in terms of culture and student body than UVA, which presumably pulls more from VA/DC/Mid-atlantic states

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:01 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:11 am

Anon-e-miss wrote:Do you feel that there is a marked cultural difference between the two? I'm from the Midwest and not particularly averse to the South, but I was curious if Duke was significantly more "southern" in terms of culture and student body than UVA, which presumably pulls more from VA/DC/Mid-atlantic states

I mean, no one is on campus so it's hard to know. My basic (uninformed) guess would be that UVA is more southern (southern fratty/southern wealthy, specifically) than Duke. Duke, AFAIK, has a lot of international students; I am not sure the same applies to UVA. UVA is a bit odd b/c, from what I remember when applying to schools as a UG from a long time ago, the UGs from out of state have a harder time getting in than in state; I do not believe Duke has this contrast. Durham (IMO) sort of reminded me of a super mini budding Austin in a way. Or, perhaps, it's just the liberal island in otherwise deep red country kind of vibe (if that makes sense).

chargers21 wrote:The part of campus around the law school at Duke is definitely newer. Iirc, there's some really old buildings on the northeast side of campus. I'm looking forward to the debilitating heat

Oh - there are. I didn't go in those as much. I mainly wandered around the campus and the inside of Duke Law, Fuqua, and the main quad with the elevated walkway and union building. I didn't really go in all of the others. Compared to Cornell, it felt way more up to date though.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 am

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socratease

New

Postby Socratease » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:25 am

Checking in. Just started studying last week. Trying to do at least 1 timed section a night after work, but I don't have a coherent study plan. :?

Diagnostic was 161 and took the LSAT last Sept. on somewhat of a whim. Ended up with a 168, which kind of surprised me because I hadn't prepped much at all for it (maybe 10 timed sections in total, 0 full-length PTs). And I went -4 on games, ran out of time and didn't answer the last question. Think I lucked out on RC, which I always thought was my worst section.

Anyway, shooting for a 175+ this time around but need at least a 171 for any T14 hopes b/c shitty gpa. Not that I'm set on going to a T14 necessarily.

Anyone have a study plan/calendar/schedule they recommend?

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:45 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:56 am

THIS IS NOT A DRILL! ALL SHIT POSTERS PLEASE READ ON!

The June 2017 forum needs to reach at least 180 pages before their test date. Anyone willing to shit post in there to assist them in their journey to 180 please do so!

'tis all

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 am

chargers21 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:Do you feel that there is a marked cultural difference between the two? I'm from the Midwest and not particularly averse to the South, but I was curious if Duke was significantly more "southern" in terms of culture and student body than UVA, which presumably pulls more from VA/DC/Mid-atlantic states

I mean, no one is on campus so it's hard to know. My basic (uninformed) guess would be that UVA is more southern (southern fratty/southern wealthy, specifically) than Duke. Duke, AFAIK, has a lot of international students; I am not sure the same applies to UVA. UVA is a bit odd b/c, from what I remember when applying to schools as a UG from a long time ago, the UGs from out of state have a harder time getting in than in state; I do not believe Duke has this contrast. Durham (IMO) sort of reminded me of a super mini budding Austin in a way. Or, perhaps, it's just the liberal island in otherwise deep red country kind of vibe (if that makes sense).

chargers21 wrote:The part of campus around the law school at Duke is definitely newer. Iirc, there's some really old buildings on the northeast side of campus. I'm looking forward to the debilitating heat

Oh - there are. I didn't go in those as much. I mainly wandered around the campus and the inside of Duke Law, Fuqua, and the main quad with the elevated walkway and union building. I didn't really go in all of the others. Compared to Cornell, it felt way more up to date though.

The research triangle definitely feels different than say rural Alabama in a way that a suburban midwesternerns ( I'm rural midwestern, but close enough) would like. Not huge, but kinda big, and no rebel flag, yee haw feel. Very intellectual compared to other areas of NC

As a suburban/metropolitan Midwesterner, that sounds really promising. Duke is definitely one of my preferred schools in terms of T13. They seem to give solid $$$, great employment outcomes, interesting clinical programs (i.e. Guantanamo defense clinic), and warm climate, which I have never truly experienced.

Their PI numbers are slightly discouraging, so idk if that is a product of self-selection, lack of placement power, or OCI pressure from OCS

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:59 am

Is anyone watching Comey?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:02 pm

chewinggum wrote:Is anyone watching Comey?

me

watching it on and off a bit

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:14 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

The research triangle definitely feels different than say rural Alabama in a way that a suburban midwesternerns ( I'm rural midwestern, but close enough) would like. Not huge, but kinda big, and no rebel flag, yee haw feel. Very intellectual compared to other areas of NC

As a suburban/metropolitan Midwesterner, that sounds really promising. Duke is definitely one of my preferred schools in terms of T13. They seem to give solid $$$, great employment outcomes, interesting clinical programs (i.e. Guantanamo defense clinic), and warm climate, which I have never truly experienced.

Their PI numbers are slightly discouraging, so idk if that is a product of self-selection, lack of placement power, or OCI pressure from OCS

Join us 8) OCS seemed a lot more focused on pushing into law firms and clerkships at Chicago than Duke, fwiw. Almost all current students I met at Duke went there to get a BL jobs, but the small subset of students that weren't interested in them seemed to be doing fine and be getting great options. Actually, I might be able to send you a list of PI destinations if you want (not sure if Duke wants them published, but I didn't sign anything)

Yeah, I have been able to deduce the schools that seem less PI-gunner oriented (Chi, P, D, N, C) but that doesn't inhibit my interest in them since, like you said, PI is self-selection, and I don't necessarily need to be surrounded by a huge PI community (NYU, M, B) in order to maintain my interests.

PM me though. I'm interested particularly in Duke's PI placement outside of DC/Southern markets. Thanks in advance

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:19 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:23 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Join us 8) OCS seemed a lot more focused on pushing into law firms and clerkships at Chicago than Duke, fwiw. Almost all current students I met at Duke went there to get a BL jobs, but the small subset of students that weren't interested in them seemed to be doing fine and be getting great options. Actually, I might be able to send you a list of PI destinations if you want (not sure if Duke wants them published, but I didn't sign anything)

Yeah, I have been able to deduce the schools that seem less PI-gunner oriented (Chi, P, D, N, C) but that doesn't inhibit my interest in them since, like you said, PI is self-selection, and I don't necessarily need to be surrounded by a huge PI community (NYU, M, B) in order to maintain my interests.

PM me though. I'm interested particularly in Duke's PI placement outside of DC/Southern markets. Thanks in advance

I'll scan them and send em over later today. They were very informative, and I wish every school had them and posted them online

Thanks! Yeah, it seems like it could only help draw in potential students for schools with genuinely national placement.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Mikey wrote:
chewinggum wrote:Is anyone watching Comey?

me

watching it on and off a bit

He seems so genuine - I like him a lot. Poor guy

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29 pm

littlewing67, i see you!! <3

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?