The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

generic noob

New

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby generic noob » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:05 pm

dm1683 wrote:"I know words, I have the best words." - The President of the United States, Vladimir Putin Donald Trump

He's a regular wordsmith, that one. Like Shakespeare.

"The course of true covfefe never did run bigly."

TalkToMuch

New

Postby TalkToMuch » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:22 pm

Beginning my LSAT prep this week. I currently have practice tests 42-71 along with the Trainer. I was wondering what books do you guys recommend for each section? I have read that the Trainer has a very helpful towards RC but no so much for LG.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Anyone else having trouble getting friends/family to understand the importance/difficulty of the LSAT?
"Oh but you did well on the SAT, right? You're way too worried about this!"

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:23 pm

TalkToMuch wrote:Beginning my LSAT prep this week. I currently have practice tests 42-71 along with the Trainer. I was wondering what books do you guys recommend for each section? I have read that the Trainer has a very helpful towards RC but no so much for LG.

The Powerscore LG Bible was very helpful for me. I also have Powerscore LR and RC, but I have heard others who think there are better books for those sections. dj and a few other regulars in this thread have promoted the Manhattan LR book. However, I just ordered it and can't speak to its quality
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:25 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Anyone else having trouble getting friends/family to understand the importance/difficulty of the LSAT?

I have acquaintances who started studying for the June LSAT in April/May and think I'm neurotic for starting to study for the September LSAT in late April. People also give me dismissive looks when I say I am studying now to shoot for a 175+ so that I can get into Harvard and Columbia. Can't please everyone
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:01 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Anyone else having trouble getting friends/family to understand the importance/difficulty of the LSAT?

I'm basically learning to not say anything to anyone right now. I'm close with one of the attorneys in my office, who's seen me study after work. A couple of weeks after I got my Feb score she was asking how I did. I said I performed exactly where I thought I would, which is way worse than where I want it to be. Her response was, "Did you at least score past a 150?"... This might come off as sounding super snobby and obnoxious but this is TLS so I feel really good about saying that I felt personally insulted she'd think I score that low. She thinks a 155 is a solid score, and that I'm stressing way too much about this. I mean, hey, it sucks a lot to be working full time and studying and having to deal with some stupid annoying crazy family drama but that's what it's all about to get into a T13 with a gigantic scholarship, right?

Sorry, rant over.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 pm

clueless801 wrote:

I'm basically learning to not say anything to anyone right now. I'm close with one of the attorneys in my office, who's seen me study after work. A couple of weeks after I got my Feb score she was asking how I did. I said I performed exactly where I thought I would, which is way worse than where I want it to be. Her response was, "Did you at least score past a 150?"... This might come off as sounding super snobby and obnoxious but this is TLS so I feel really good about saying that I felt personally insulted she'd think I score that low. She thinks a 155 is a solid score, and that I'm stressing way too much about this. I mean, hey, it sucks a lot to be working full time and studying and having to deal with some stupid annoying crazy family drama but that's what it's all about to get into a T13 with a gigantic scholarship, right?

Sorry, rant over.

Or how about the "I/Someone I know graduated from Mediocre State College of Law when Ronald Reagan was president and I'm/He's/She's a partner now! You can totally do that!" speech

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:03 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
abujabal wrote:Question to all y'all - after a 50 page (!) hiatus - when is everyone switching to PTs 2x/week? I'm still trundling through the LSAT Trainer at this point but want to know when to pivot

June 16 for me

More like July 1 for me. Ill be on vacay for two weeks next week.

Yeah I was more on the July 1 train (11th really, because that's when I move across the country), but I'm now feeling mid-June resultantly. Also I'm sure that this becoming the main test thread will serve as a great kick in the ass

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:45 pm

abujabal wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
abujabal wrote:Question to all y'all - after a 50 page (!) hiatus - when is everyone switching to PTs 2x/week? I'm still trundling through the LSAT Trainer at this point but want to know when to pivot

June 16 for me

More like July 1 for me. Ill be on vacay for two weeks next week.

Yeah I was more on the July 1 train (11th really, because that's when I move across the country), but I'm now feeling mid-June resultantly. Also I'm sure that this becoming the main test thread will serve as a great kick in the ass

I personally would be uncomfortable waiting until July 1 to do 2 a week but that may be my personal OCD

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:57 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
clueless801 wrote:

Sorry, rant over.

Or how about the "I/Someone I know graduated from Mediocre State College of Law when Ronald Reagan was president and I'm/He's/She's a partner now! You can totally do that!" speech

I have to stop myself from apologizing for being so neurotic bc then I remember that I'm actually not alone in being this ambitious. Sigh.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:15 pm

dj9i27 wrote:reverting back to my old mantra, "A RC passage a day keeps the 160s at bay."

What are you using to drill RC? feel like I want to do this with some science passages cause those just make me want to fade into the abyss

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

generic noob

New

Postby generic noob » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:26 pm

@dj9i27

Same. For me the science passages are fairly straightforward. Many times it's the passages with simpler language that are conceptually harder (and trickier to pin down). As in I understand the words, but when the questions come, the answer choices seem either all correct or all wrong.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Getting a hankering for a late night PT but the only coffee shop that will be open late enough for me not to worry about bumping up against closing time is my ex's favorite hangout spot. Say a prayer for me fam.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:31 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Getting a hankering for a late night PT but the only coffee shop that will be open late enough for me not to worry about bumping up against closing time is my ex's favorite hangout spot. Say a prayer for me fam.

*prayer hands* If you can deal with that type of a distraction during a PT, i think you will be fine come test day...

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:24 am

TWiiX wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:Question for everyone: so I've been using MH's drill by question type book for my LG drills because it came with a bunch of other LSAT books I bought. But the games in there are only from 41 to 50. I read somewhere that those PTs are pretty easy, while 1-30 have the weird games. Do you think I should switch? Or does it not matter?

Do all of them. Even if they are easier than the real thing, they still help build useful skills.

Guess I have a lot more drilling ahead of me then. Wonderful.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:35 am

clueless801 wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:
clueless801 wrote:

Sorry, rant over.

I have to stop myself from apologizing for being so neurotic bc then I remember that I'm actually not alone in being this ambitious. Sigh.

The nice thing is, my immediate family gets it. My close relatives (who I stay with) don't. It's impossible to study here, so much so that I'm going to go visit my sister in a different state and just study in her apartment for the rest of the summer.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:49 am

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:52 am

Anyone ever been on a flight that touched down on the tarmac and decided to take off again? That happened to me today. I don't fly that much, and it was mildly terrifying.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... T/tracklog

Right at about 3:08 PM EST is where 34iplaw started to ponder faith and whether flying really is that safe. This followed what must have been the most choppy and weird descent with seemingly random periods of acceleration and deceleration.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:00 am

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:03 am

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Anyone ever been on a flight that touched down on the tarmac and decided to take off again? That happened to me today. I don't fly that much, and it was mildly terrifying.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... T/tracklog

Right at about 3:08 PM EST is where 34iplaw started to ponder faith and whether flying really is that safe. This followed what must have been the most choppy and weird descent with seemingly random periods of acceleration and deceleration.

I have an extreme fesr of flying, heights no flying in the sky with some dude piloting a sardine can of no escape yes.
i wish C130s were commercial so you could skydive out of needed

I have a mild discomfort, primarily during landing and takeoff. Jittery landing --> random hey I'm just going to fucking FLOOR IT while you have no idea if it's because we had a rocky landing, there are two planes on the runway, etc. LET YOUR IMAGINATION RUN WILD AND CRIPPLE YOU WITH DEBILITATING FEAR for two minutes (I feel a little ashamed after seeing the log and realizing it only lasted less than two minutes. Anywho - I need to sleep. gnight

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:23 am

I'm less nervous flying than in cars on windy mountain roads. I feel like a plane crash would be quicker than rolling down a cliff.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:55 am

Edit.
Last edited by blackmamba8 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?