The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
19%

Total votes: 47

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
Mikey wrote:wtf is the point of reading comp

like, seriously. it's stupid. just give me another mechanical section like LR or LG ffs.

I just drilled a full, timed section (PT 12). Literally had every question right except for #27 (the last question), for which I changed my answer after having doubts about my original AC :roll:

I like RC now. It requires the least work and has the least tricky question stems

whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

u wot m8?

RC is pretty intuitive after drilling a handful of sections. The questions are super predictable, and the passages are easy to get through in a couple of minutes (except some science passages), so there is plenty of time for the questions, many of which don't even require that you revisit the passage

LR is my worst section right now, but learning to avoid shell answers has helped out.

it's just that it's a strong section for you, I guess.. I've probably drilled RC more than you (unless you've been studying for more than a year and a half :lol: ) and it's still my shittiest section. I guess it just comes more smooth to others than it does to some. I hate it, I feel like an idiot for not doing well in a section that requires you to literally just read and answer some questions on what you read.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Mikey wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:

like, seriously. it's stupid. just give me another mechanical section like LR or LG ffs.

I just drilled a full, timed section (PT 12). Literally had every question right except for #27 (the last question), for which I changed my answer after having doubts about my original AC :roll:

I like RC now. It requires the least work and has the least tricky question stems

u wot m8?

RC is pretty intuitive after drilling a handful of sections. The questions are super predictable, and the passages are easy to get through in a couple of minutes (except some science passages), so there is plenty of time for the questions, many of which don't even require that you revisit the passage

LR is my worst section right now, but learning to avoid shell answers has helped out.

it's just that it's a strong section for you, I guess.. I've probably drilled RC more than you (unless you've been studying for more than a year and a half :lol: ) and it's still my shittiest section. I guess it just comes more smooth to others than it does to some. I hate it, I feel like an idiot for not doing well in a section that requires you to literally just read and answer some questions on what you read.

Yeah it definitely varies from person to person. I still get headaches or feel overwhelmed by certain LR stimuli even though I consider myself to be adequate at the section in general.
I also don't think the prep materials for RC are as strong as for LR/LG, although I'm not sure how they could be improved.
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:14 pm

im just tryna get this 170 yo

-0 LR
-0LG
-10RC IDGAF give me the 170 bitch

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:

u wot m8?

RC is probably easier for people that are quick readers and have a good short-term memory. Few people would start out -0, but if you start -4/-5 and have the base skills you can get there with practice. If the base skills are weaker it would be considerably more difficult, which is why I think it's known as being the least learnable section.

LR just sucks.

Yeah, I'm glad that RC clicked quickly because I think getting to my desired skill/performance level on LR will take some significant time just drilling and configuring my brain to approach each question uniformly

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:

u wot m8?

RC is probably easier for people that are quick readers and have a good short-term memory. Few people would start out -0, but if you start -4/-5 and have the base skills you can get there with practice. If the base skills are weaker it would be considerably more difficult, which is why I think it's known as being the least learnable section.

LR just sucks.

Yeah, I'm glad that RC clicked quickly because I think getting to my desired skill/performance level on LR will take some significant time just drilling and configuring my brain to approach each question uniformly

I hate LR because for me it's the section where I'm blindsided by wrong answers the most. If I messed up a game I usually know, or at least have a gut feeling about. With LR I'll get hit in the face on a question I was sure about. Then I get defensive and want to get into the debate about my incorrect answer.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Postby CottonHarvest » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Alexandros wrote:RC >>> LR

100!

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Postby CottonHarvest » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:47 pm

I think there is probably a lot of correlation between a high reading comp score and test takers who read a lot as children/studied reading intensive majors. I know I have learned that on standardized tests for college admissions my brothers and I have noticed that our friends that read a lot did exceptionally well on reading even if hey weren't very smart or their other sections were not very good

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:51 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:I think there is probably a lot of correlation between a high reading comp score and test takers who read a lot as children/studied reading intensive majors. I know I have learned that on standardized tests for college admissions my brothers and I have noticed that our friends that read a lot did exceptionally well on reading even if hey weren't very smart or their other sections were not very good

I think it depends on what you're reading too. Novels? Not as much of a help. But I think my avid consumption of current events publications both for my much maligned poli sci major and my own enjoyment did give me a strong base for RC. No data to back this up, obviously. Just my intuition.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:55 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
CottonHarvest wrote:I think there is probably a lot of correlation between a high reading comp score and test takers who read a lot as children/studied reading intensive majors. I know I have learned that on standardized tests for college admissions my brothers and I have noticed that our friends that read a lot did exceptionally well on reading even if hey weren't very smart or their other sections were not very good

I think it depends on what you're reading too. Novels? Not as much of a help. But I think my avid consumption of current events publications both for my much maligned poly sci major and my own enjoyment did give me a strong base for RC. No data to back this up, obviously. Just my intuition.

I also read almost exclusively works of non-fiction.
I'm not sure how advantageous a liberal arts major is in regard to RC, since I know LA majors who have done great on the LSAT as well as several who have done relatively poorly. I do think the ability to distinguish between similar answers through a well-developed vocabulary and informal reasoning is helpful and generally learned in LA-esque majors

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:11 pm

Currently debating the degree to which I should cheese my schedule for next year to ensure the highest GPA possible. I should probably just go full cheese.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:15 pm

It's possible.

I am one of those who didn't buy books for classes and never did shit of reading in college except for like 1 class. My major was bs and pretty easy too. I think this is at least in part a reason why RC is tough for me as well. I always feel like I read slow on RC (around 3:30 mins on the passage alone) but people tell me that that is around the norm.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:27 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:27 pm

chargers21 wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:Currently debating the degree to which I should cheese my schedule for next year to ensure the highest GPA possible. I should probably just go full cheese.

Full cheese = TCR

Intro to Culinary Arts here I come!!!

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:

I think it depends on what you're reading too. Novels? Not as much of a help. But I think my avid consumption of current events publications both for my much maligned poly sci major and my own enjoyment did give me a strong base for RC. No data to back this up, obviously. Just my intuition.

I'm not sure how advantageous a liberal arts major is in regard to RC, since I know LA majors who have done great on the LSAT as well as several who have done relatively poorly. I do think the ability to distinguish between similar answers through a well-developed vocabulary and informal reasoning is helpful and generally learned in LA-esque majors

Reading a lot throughout your life, not just college classes I think has a huge impact. It has afforded me the opportunity to always perform well in the RC section of standardized tests and it makes sense. Whether thats fiction, non-fiction, news (economist, WSJ...etc whatever it may be) i dont think it makes a difference.. Its simply people who have read more have some advantage in the section

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:00 pm

I like turtles.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:04 pm

chargers21 wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:Currently debating the degree to which I should cheese my schedule for next year to ensure the highest GPA possible. I should probably just go full cheese.

Full cheese = TCR

Intro to Culinary Arts here I come!!!

Do you go to Cornell? My UG TCR is bowling, billiards, basketball, racquetball and the like

I didn't realize PE existed outside of high school, lol.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Do you guys review questions you were 75% certain on and ended up getting correct, if only to understand why you were 75% sure of your answer?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:17 pm

clueless801 wrote:Do you guys review questions you were 75% certain on and ended up getting correct, if only to understand why you were 75% sure of your answer?

I glance at every question, if I'm even a little uncertain about it I'll try to break it down, even if its just briefly. There are definitely some questions where you narrow it down to two answers, get it right, but need to confirm why exactly it's right.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Postby CottonHarvest » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:27 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:

Reading a lot throughout your life, not just college classes I think has a huge impact. It has afforded me the opportunity to always perform well in the RC section of standardized tests and it makes sense. Whether thats fiction, non-fiction, news (economist, WSJ...etc whatever it may be) i dont think it makes a difference.. Its simply people who have read more have some advantage in the section

I agree that genre isn't the biggest difference-maker. Where I'm from, most students take the ACT and not the SAT. I had a friend who was a terrible student and not naturally gifted in any way, but he always had a book of fiction in his hand and outperformed all of my friends who are identified as gifted and were not readers on the reading section of the ACT.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?