The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:I would prefer for DCN to freak out and give me a full ride :twisted:

Only 500 are allowed to apply a year, that way they have to give us money!

Do you think PI gunner ambition disincentives schools from giving big $$$ since the student can just ride PSLF/LRAP and then (unless you are YHSC) the feds will foot most of the bill? Or am I neurotic?

if your PI or bust, NYU has scholarships of your choosing and CLS has something, it starts with R. Both are raised to get than a Hammy or Vanderbilt so I think if you sell your PS as "I don't want corporate under any circumstance " they'll bite

RTK is my goal outcome but I don't think one year of public service after UG will give me a worthwhile shot at it. Columbia PI fellowships are more low-key which seems promising, but they do not seem to have a separate app so it seems more randomized, for better or worse
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm just jealous of people who know exactly what they want. :cry: I suffer from interestedinfuckingeverythingitis

elliedawn

New

Postby elliedawn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:00 pm

oopsu812 wrote:I'm just jealous of people who know exactly what they want. :cry: I suffer from interestedinfuckingeverythingitis

Same. The moment I start thinking about law school, I start to think if I should pursue a graduate degree instead. But which graduate degree? Should I consider a graduate degree, and then pursue a law degree? Maybe I should just settle for a Masters in Public Policy. It's all too much.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:09 pm

dj9i27 wrote:I just bought new workout shoes and now I'm poor.

I'm throwing a viewing party for game 4 and am poor just thinking about it

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:28 pm

elliedawn wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:I'm just jealous of people who know exactly what they want. :cry: I suffer from interestedinfuckingeverythingitis

Same. The moment I start thinking about law school, I start to think if I should pursue a graduate degree instead. But which graduate degree? Should I consider a graduate degree, and then pursue a law degree? Maybe I should just settle for a Masters in Public Policy. It's all too much.

Pay lots of money, decide what you want to be later. Regret decision. Have mental breakdown. Go back to living with parents because that's when things were simple.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:55 pm

[
Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:56 pm

elliedawn wrote:

I'm going to get a Masters in Public Policy or International Affairs or something in that vein and work a bit before committing to LS (or not). If I do though, hoping to go to LS around 25-26, settle down somewhere by 30ish, retire ASAP. This will likely never happen.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:22 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
elliedawn wrote:

Pay lots of money, decide what you want to be later. Regret decision. Have mental breakdown. Go back to living with parents because that's when things were simple.

This part I disagree with.

My parents are my best friends so perhaps I'm biased

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:28 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:29 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
elliedawn wrote:

I'm going to get a Masters in Public Policy or International Affairs or something in that vein and work a bit before committing to LS (or not). If I do though, hoping to go to LS around 25-26, settle down somewhere by 30ish, retire ASAP. This will likely never happen.

That's the way to do it imo.

Have I figured out how to do life??? Nice.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
elliedawn wrote:

I have known what I am interested in for a while now, but I did a master's degree and will be working; by the time I attend LS, I will have a better perspective on the world, learning, and now have truly validated what Im interested in. Also, I think as you are more mature with different experiences you can attack LS on a better footing and give yourself a competitive advantage.

Just before moving forward and spending money on a master's know how it can truly help you down the road. I wouldn't do it just because you are unsure and just on cold feet in regards to attending LS. If it generally interests you and you think it could be a possible 1) Career path in itself or 2) A strong addition to your law degree in such a way that will help you practice in some niche..go for it. My decision for getting my Master's was the latter

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:44 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
elliedawn wrote:

I have known what I am interested in for a while now, but I did a master's degree and will be working; by the time I attend LS, I will have a better perspective on the world, learning, and now have truly validated what Im interested in. Also, I think as you are more mature with different experiences you can attack LS on a better footing and give yourself a competitive advantage.

Just before moving forward and spending money on a master's know how it can truly help you down the road. I wouldn't do it just because you are unsure and just on cold feet in regards to attending LS. If it generally interests you and you think it could be a possible 1) Career path in itself or 2) A strong addition to your law degree in such a way that will help you practice in some niche..go for it. My decision for getting my Master's was the latter

The master's would be to explore a career path that I'm interested in that certainly could connect to law in some way (PI), but could lead to a career in itself. Best of both worlds. :P Luckily the master's programmes I'm looking at are cheap enough to pay off with TA/RAships.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:53 pm

"Don't pay for grad school" is something I've heard a lot

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:01 am

chargers21 wrote:"Don't pay for grad school" is something I've heard a lot

I certainly wouldn't pay the 47k tuition at Johns Hopkins SAIS, for example. Incredible program, but fucking hell, they estimate $90k a year all together!

elliedawn

New

Postby elliedawn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:35 am

Yeah, the issue is that I'm already 25 and ready to begin a real career already (got a late start to undergrad).

I figure if I do a Masters in PP that ought to be a decent career path before committing to law school.

Nonetheless, I've gotta take the hellacious LSAT before I can even consider law school a viable option. Especially since I won't accept anything outside of top 20.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:56 am

chewinggum wrote:In case anyone needs entertainment for the next 54 minutes of the work day:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=278194&start=150

This entire thread has me tilted. Source: Am engineer. Taking bait of trolls. See you all on the other side.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:42 am

TWiiX wrote:
chewinggum wrote:In case anyone needs entertainment for the next 54 minutes of the work day:

This entire thread has me tilted. Source: Am engineer. Taking bait of trolls. See you all on the other side.

It's pathetic IMO. Esp the "my upbringing was tough so I have the right to be a jerk" idea.

Everyone has problems.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:48 am

chewinggum wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

It's pathetic IMO. Esp the "my upbringing was tough so I have the right to be a jerk" idea.

Everyone has problems.

Yeah, not sure how one "earns the right to be an asshole".

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:02 am

chewinggum wrote:I wish no one would apply to CN this cycle so they're forced to take me.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer you admission, as we decided it would be more financially prudent to shutter the halls of CLS and NYU than admit your ilk.

I'm teasing, obviously.

How's e'ryone doing?
Last edited by 34iplaw on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:16 am

oopsu812 wrote:Yeah, not sure how one "earns the right to be an asshole".

"im 22 year old from a broken home who grew up on the streets...
i tend to get defensive when privileged people try to talk down to me....they should just be glad im not slamming them on there heads" -uhwrestler

The whole thread was embarrassing because it started with him shitting on how south asians pride themselves, when he is south asian ..

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:18 am

34iplaw wrote:
chewinggum wrote:I wish no one would apply to CN this cycle so they're forced to take me.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer you admission, as we decided it would be more financially prudent to shutter the halls of CLS and NYU than admit your ilk.

I'm teasing, obviously.

I guess I'll take S :roll: . If I must.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:44 am

chewinggum wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Yeah, not sure how one "earns the right to be an asshole".

"im 22 year old from a broken home who grew up on the streets...
i tend to get defensive when privileged people try to talk down to me....they should just be glad im not slamming them on there heads" -uhwrestler

The whole thread was embarrassing because it started with him shitting on how south asians pride themselves, when he is south asian ..

I grew up on the mean streets of an upper-class area in New Jersey. My friends would make fun of me because my mom would pick me up in her American made SUV rather than a superior German made child wagon. They also laughed at how my father owned a successful contracting business rather than more 'dignified' professional services work. I always loathed my father for his career choices. It was impossible, and I couldn't wait to attend college. Unfortunately, my hopes were misplaced. I enrolled at an Ivy League university, and the teasing became worse than before. Not only did the other kids make fun of my family but the wealthy Long Islanders laughed at me for being from New Jersey, and, in turn, the wealthier Connecticuters made fun of us both. Flash forward to graduation. I begin my job at Deutsche Bank. On the dating scene, I get my heart broken for a new source of ridicule that would become all too familiar - my job. For example, I was on a date with this amazing girl, and we were getting along great until we discussed our jobs. The moment that I was halfway through saying "Deutsche" she slapped my face, threw her glass of wine at me, and stormed off with her Goldman Sachs fleece yelling, "I only date people who work at top tier investment banks!" I knew I needed a change, as it was the fourth time I heard that during a date this month. I decided to enroll in a T14 law school in Washington, DC. While we were always ridiculed and insulted by T10 schools, it all got much worse in early 2017 when the USNRW new rankings were released. I no longer was attending a top school; we were out. My life continued its downward trajectory. I graduated top of my class and managed to swing a job at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meager & Flom LLP and moved back to the city that had previously spurned me, New York. I returned to the dating scene strong with the swagger of a V5 law firm at my back. I had a handful of dates with law school girls that either wouldn't date below the T3, T6, T10, or, perhaps the only one that bothered me, T13. I also felt a little annoyed when a girl stated that she wouldn't date outside of the reputable New York firms - Cravath or WLRK. What angered me the most was a new type of insidious discrimination, that against corporate attorneys. We were no longer considered interesting, compelling, or attractive dating partners. Instead of being insulted for my inferior credentials, I was now accosted for my life decisions that did not lead me to become a programmer. I continually despise myself and punish myself in my head for not learning to code or developing an app idea I had several years ago. Not only did it hurt my dating life, but someone got rich off my idea, SnapJunk. It's exactly like SnapChat but cuts through the BS and labels it for what it is, an app that encourages you to send photos of your junk to strangers. Remy Jones made billions off the idea. I wish my life was less complicated; I wish I grew up without water or electricity or enough food on the table. Woe is me. I am a cautionary tale of the upper non-elite class in America.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:17 am

34iplaw wrote:Woe is me.

Your PS must have been very telling.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?