The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
17%

Total votes: 46

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Does duke seldom hand out full rides? Dillards and Darrows are handed out like candy compared to their full ride.

Does the new LG bible have a section for weird games specifically? I know the forgotten few section in the old one but don't remember it all too much.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:36 pm

dj9i27 wrote:Does duke seldom hand out full rides? Dillards and Darrows are handed out like candy compared to their full ride.

based off what I've seen, the Mordecai seems much rarer than the Dillard/Darrow.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 pm

proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Does duke seldom hand out full rides? Dillards and Darrows are handed out like candy compared to their full ride.

based off what I've seen, the Mordecai seems much rarer than the Dillard/Darrow.

That what I've been looking at as well. I wonder why since UVA is a little higher (not throwing shade). Duke seems to throw out that 75g price tag more frequent as well. Are they playing ball with you negotiation wise?

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Does the new LG bible have a section for weird games specifically? I know the forgotten few section in the old one but don't remember it all too much.

Like protein said, mordecai seems super rare.

Whatever LG bible I have has a weird game section

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:41 pm

chargers21 wrote:

oh boy, another 60 dollars :/
Very strange. maybe in light of the new USNR they'll be generous.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:44 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Why? There weren't too many, and my book might have just been the 2015 but I can't remember.

Duke technically went up because of Berkeley's fall so idk if they'll throw more money around. I think UVA might be above Duke because of the generosity towards the top half of matriculants, but UVA leaves more students completely hung out to dry than Duke

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:46 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

That what I've been looking at as well. I wonder why since UVA is a little higher (not throwing shade). Duke seems to throw out that 75g price tag more frequent as well. Are they playing ball with you negotiation wise?

I think it's cause UVA games the rankings (yes throwing shade) by admitting a ton of splitters and reverse-splitters, so a bunch of high-number peple attend with a lot of money and a bunch of reverse splitters and splitters attend at practically sticker. I figured it'd be hard to keep their medians up if they didn't throw money at a lot of people with > medians stats.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:48 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Why? There weren't too many, and my book might have just been the 2015 but I can't remember.

Duke technically went up because of Berkeley's fall so idk if they'll throw more money around. I think UVA might be above Duke because of the generosity towards the top half of matriculants, but UVA leaves more students completely hung out to dry than Duke

my old lr bible is literally falling apart, I want to have all view points under my belt for September 2017 to ensure no suprises.

this is true. Duke and UVA seem to be about equal to splitters with my gpa range, I guess there may be a way to hustle more $$$ from them by putting them against one another.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:49 pm

proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

I think it's cause UVA games the rankings (yes throwing shade) by admitting a ton of splitters and reverse-splitters, so a bunch of high-number peple attend with a lot of money and a bunch of reverse splitters and splitters attend at practically sticker. I figured it'd be hard to keep their medians up if they didn't throw money at a lot of people with > medians stats.

The way to lose me is to not offer me money. I understand a 2.3/175 doesn't have much wiggle room but a 3.5/175 ought to be in a position to talk up some cash. Lots of people do attend UVA at sticker which I dont get, the col is low tho so that doesn't kill them there at least.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:01 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

The way to lose me is to not offer me money. I understand a 2.3/175 doesn't have much wiggle room but a 3.5/175 ought to be in a position to talk up some cash. Lots of people do attend UVA at sticker which I dont get, the col is low tho so that doesn't kill them there at least.

I think a lot of the people who end up not getting $$ are people who UVA knows won't have other T13 options or other T13 options with $$.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:04 pm

proteinshake wrote:I think a lot of the people who end up not getting $$ are people who UVA knows won't have other T13 options or other T13 options with $$.

or trust fund babies.
I would probably sit out another year if it meant the chance at money at a T13 that isn't HYS. 300g is a lot of money.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:07 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:I think a lot of the people who end up not getting $$ are people who UVA knows won't have other T13 options or other T13 options with $$.

or trust fund babies.
I would probably sit out another year if it meant the chance at money at a T13 that isn't HYS. 300g is a lot of money.

for sure. off to go do some abs and conditioning 8)

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:34 pm

proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

or trust fund babies.

I did windshield wipers the other day and now I'm incapable of moving.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

or trust fund babies.

I did windshield wipers the other day and now I'm incapable of moving.

dude I did farmers walks the other day and I think they are a billion times better than shrugs. my whole upper back, shoulders, and forearms were burning. traps were also much more sore and for like 3 days.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:36 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

Yeah UVA stiffs people a lot. It seems like when fin aid awards came out a couple of people with numbers to get into Stanford got like $0. I think the key is negotiate.
I'm seeing Mich giving out a lot of 120k and 150k which is pretty good money especially when you factor in the low CoL in Ann Arbor. There was that guy with a 3.52 who just got 150k from Mich. The Darrow isn't too common though - iirc a lot of people with very high numbers interviewed for it and only got 150k. (more common than the Mordecai and the Levy which you barely ever see).

For weird games drill tf out of the oldest games, like 1-17.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:46 pm

Do y'all keep, like, student org involvement, volunteer stuff, and WE separate on your resume?
Also, if you did something for only like a few months, should you leave it off?
And did y'all personalize your PS for various schools?

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Alexandros wrote:Happy Sunday, everyone. My cycle's going to go to complete hell because my softs are fucking terrible, my WE is shit, and my UG is not Harvard. Oh noez.

I don't even know what good softs are. Oh noez x2.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Alexandros wrote:Do y'all keep, like, student org involvement, volunteer stuff, and WE separate on your resume?

You need to stop worrying so much, your numbers are killer compared to mine and I'm going to make it out alive. My softs were garbage. But on the real, I had so few things to list and some schools only allow 1 page anyways, so my resume put my WE and other involvement in 1 section ordered by when I did them. I didn't do too much so I listed things that sounded good even if they were shortlived (i.e. some cool short term volunteer opportunities)

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:03 pm

chargers21 wrote:Forgot to add that I did alter the final paragraph of my PS slightly for Northwestern, Chicago, and Cornell with obviously limited success when doing so

Did you add a "Why X school" essay?

I think you're close to KJD and NU only likes old people, I dunno whether I'll even apply, and I think you were on the fence numbers wise for Chi which explains the initial WL. And Cornell is loco this cycle. So I don't think your outcomes at those were particularly unusual.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Happy Sunday, everyone. My cycle's going to go to complete hell because my softs are fucking terrible, my WE is shit, and my UG is not Harvard. Oh noez.

I don't even know what good softs are. Oh noez x2.

- Rhodes Scholarship
- Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tiffany Trump
- Win Nobel Prize

"Average" softs:
- President of at least 4 different student groups
- Founder of at least 3
- at least 4 different fancy internships, one of which is Goldman Sachs
- Hella legal work experience

TLS user Alexandros:
- :?:
- :|

Lmao I can't tell if this is a joke or not, and that's a scary thought.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:11 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Do y'all keep, like, student org involvement, volunteer stuff, and WE separate on your resume?

You need to stop worrying so much, your numbers are killer compared to mine and I'm going to make it out alive. My softs were garbage. But on the real, I had so few things to list and some schools only allow 1 page anyways, so my resume put my WE and other involvement in 1 section ordered by when I did them. I didn't do too much so I listed things that sounded good even if they were shortlived (i.e. some cool short term volunteer opportunities)

Dude if you TA'd in UG your softs are very good by my book (altho probably not TLS's)

and yeah I feel like I've donated the same-ish time/energy to student orgz and stuff as I have actual paid work so I'm trying to expand those areas a bit to make me sound more competent. Hopefully get some more volunteer work (hopefully legal-ish) this summer and then hopefully an internship or two after I graduate to flesh it out more.

Honestly I'm surprised by the soft factor sometimes. Like these things take a hell of a lot of time, and if you get involved in too much you're spending every afternoon/evening in meetings or volunteering at something and you can kiss that GPA goodbye. My softs are objectively almost null by law school standards, but I'm involved in way more than most of my friends are and definitely feel somewhat stretched sometimes as it is.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:17 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?