The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
20
43%
Yeah, kind of
8
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
7
15%
Not prepared but screw it
3
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
9
19%
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:46 am

oopsu812 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:If you need recommendations on Greek philosophy, I'm your man

Not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole quite yet :P

Join us on the dark side :twisted:

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:50 am

chargers21 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:If you need recommendations on Greek philosophy, I'm your man

Not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole quite yet :P

Join us on the dark side :twisted:

I certainly want to venture into different areas of philosophy at some point, I just wouldn't know where to start. There's so damn much.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:52 am

Anon-e-miss wrote:
chargers21 wrote:If you need recommendations on Greek philosophy, I'm your man

Top 3 recs?

Plato's Republic is an easy top choice for me, followed by Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, and then I LOVE LOVE LOVED Plato's Apology of Socrates as well as Aristophanes' Clouds. Those last 2 are very short works, Ethics is decently short, and Republic is a behemoth

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:54 am

oopsu812 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:If you need recommendations on Greek philosophy, I'm your man

Not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole quite yet :P

Join us on the dark side :twisted:

I certainly want to venture into different areas of philosophy at some point, I just wouldn't know where to start. There's so damn much.

Plato's Apology of Socrates is really short, wonderful, and probably easily found online for free

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:00 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
chargers21 wrote:If you need recommendations on Greek philosophy, I'm your man

Top 3 recs?

Plato's Republic is an easy top choice for me, followed by Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, and then I LOVE LOVE LOVED Plato's Apology of Socrates as well as Aristophanes' Clouds. Those last 2 are very short works, Ethics is decently short, and Republic is a behemoth

Looks like you have similar tastes to a prof I had. Add in Antigone by Sophocles and that was pretty much the required reading for her course. :)

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
chargers21 wrote:If you need recommendations on Greek philosophy, I'm your man

Top 3 recs?

Plato's Republic is an easy top choice for me, followed by Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, and then I LOVE LOVE LOVED Plato's Apology of Socrates as well as Aristophanes' Clouds. Those last 2 are very short works, Ethics is decently short, and Republic is a behemoth

Looks like you have similar tastes to a prof I had. Add in Antigone by Sophocles and that was pretty much the required reading for her course. :)

I will admit that I did not read them by choice. That's about half the reading list for a course that I took. I didn't know what I was getting into with that class

User avatar
chewinggum

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chewinggum » Mon May 29, 2017 12:13 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
chargers21 wrote:If you need recommendations on Greek philosophy, I'm your man

Top 3 recs?

Plato's Republic is an easy top choice for me, followed by Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, and then I LOVE LOVE LOVED Plato's Apology of Socrates as well as Aristophanes' Clouds. Those last 2 are very short works, Ethics is decently short, and Republic is a behemoth

+100 to these. I read these as a Phil minor in UG (except Clouds).

Also recommend Material Beings by PVI. It's a nice segue into denser readings

CottonHarvest

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby CottonHarvest » Mon May 29, 2017 12:18 pm

chewinggum wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
chargers21 wrote:If you need recommendations on Greek philosophy, I'm your man

Top 3 recs?

Plato's Republic is an easy top choice for me, followed by Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, and then I LOVE LOVE LOVED Plato's Apology of Socrates as well as Aristophanes' Clouds. Those last 2 are very short works, Ethics is decently short, and Republic is a behemoth

+100 to these. I read these as a Phil minor in UG (except Clouds).

Also recommend Material Beings by PVI. It's a nice segue into denser readings

There is also Euthyphro, Meno, Crito, and Phaedo by Plato

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon May 29, 2017 12:21 pm

went out with TLS peeps last night, can't bring myself to do LSAT shit today so gonna start like next week or in like august idk I'll see how I feel :lol:

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:22 pm

Mikey wrote:went out with TLS peeps last night, can't bring myself to do LSAT shit today so gonna start like next week or in like august idk I'll see how I feel :lol:

I'm completely jealous of all you city slickers

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon May 29, 2017 12:26 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Mikey wrote:went out with TLS peeps last night, can't bring myself to do LSAT shit today so gonna start like next week or in like august idk I'll see how I feel :lol:

I'm completely jealous of all you city slickers

come through and we will set something up with you!

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 29, 2017 12:27 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon May 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Alexandros wrote:One of the few things my 4 year degree has instilled in me is a deep and profound hatred of philosophy.

I've heard the pre-Platonic ones are good though.

I've only taken political philosophy and I thought it was alright. never even took intro to philosophy but I did want to though

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Alexandros wrote:One of the few things my 4 year degree has instilled in me is a deep and profound hatred of philosophy.

I've heard the pre-Socratic ones are good though.

inverse effect on me, I really got into Camus and Jung (My teacher would bring up Jung a lot i know he isn't PHIL MASTER)

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Mikey wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Mikey wrote:went out with TLS peeps last night, can't bring myself to do LSAT shit today so gonna start like next week or in like august idk I'll see how I feel :lol:

I'm completely jealous of all you city slickers

come through and we will set something up with you!

I'm just a short 700 mile jog away :mrgreen:

User avatar
chewinggum

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chewinggum » Mon May 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:One of the few things my 4 year degree has instilled in me is a deep and profound hatred of philosophy.

I've heard the pre-Platonic ones are good though.

I've only taken political philosophy and I thought it was alright. never even took intro to philosophy but I did want to though

I don't hate philosophy but I also only minored in it.

I still only hate math.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:34 pm

I never took an actual philosophy class. All of the greek philosophy I read was from an upper level honors interpretive writing course, and was completely outside of my standard wheelhouse as a science nerd. Definitely an eye opening class for me, because I had never been much into reading or writing in the manner that I did in that course

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:35 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:One of the few things my 4 year degree has instilled in me is a deep and profound hatred of philosophy.

I've heard the pre-Platonic ones are good though.

I've only taken political philosophy and I thought it was alright. never even took intro to philosophy but I did want to though

I don't hate philosophy but I also only minored in it.

I still only hate math.

Loved math, didn't get to have the fun of taking any normal math in college though :( tested out. Stats and physics don't count as math, right?

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon May 29, 2017 12:39 pm

hate math

so glad I only had to take the basic college algebra shit and stats

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:45 pm

I like math because it gives me a little refuge from all the reading and writing heavy courses I have to take.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon May 29, 2017 12:51 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Mikey wrote:went out with TLS peeps last night, can't bring myself to do LSAT shit today so gonna start like next week or in like august idk I'll see how I feel :lol:

I'm completely jealous of all you city slickers

come through and we will set something up with you!

I'm just a short 700 mile jog away :mrgreen:

haha yeah. but honestly if you're ever in town, just let us know!

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Alexandros wrote:One of the few things my 4 year degree has instilled in me is a deep and profound hatred of philosophy.

I've heard the pre-Socratic ones are good though.

But how can I possibly live my life when I don't have a profound knowledge of aesthetics or stoicism or anything like that? :( :( :(

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 29, 2017 1:10 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chewinggum

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chewinggum » Mon May 29, 2017 1:16 pm

chargers21 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:One of the few things my 4 year degree has instilled in me is a deep and profound hatred of philosophy.

I've heard the pre-Platonic ones are good though.

I've only taken political philosophy and I thought it was alright. never even took intro to philosophy but I did want to though

I don't hate philosophy but I also only minored in it.

I still only hate math.

Loved math, didn't get to have the fun of taking any normal math in college though :( tested out. Stats and physics don't count as math, right?

Stats counts as math to me. Stats is what makes me hate math.

I really really hated stats. I can't stress it enough. But it was a prereq for a research class (that I ended up loving) so it was unavoidable



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests