The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
20
44%
Yeah, kind of
8
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
6
13%
Not prepared but screw it
3
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
8
18%
 
Total votes: 45

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:03 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

wot
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/parcoeur

"Public Ivy"
To me, there's only 3 or 4 that really count. Michigan, UVA, Berkeley, and maybe William and Mary. My UG is technically listed as one on wikipedia, though

um excuse me

My school was kings once upon a time

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 24, 2017 4:06 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:14 pm

chewinggum wrote:
chargers21 wrote:and now I'm officially an amateur law school admissions advisor :mrgreen: A friend who is probably not the smartest is asking for LSAT help and application help. Low gpa. Not sure how great of results I can help him get, but I would bet by the end of it he ends up going to the local state school for full price. Not great, but probably saving him from a complete junk school like he's considering
edit: actually, after looking at myLSN, a 160 (which may very well be his max) could get him in at half price

What's his gpa?

3.2ish, but likely lower by LSAC standards if my hunch is correct. Transferred to a pretty good UG (read: mine) from a terrible one where he had like sub 3.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 24, 2017 4:14 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

wot
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/parcoeur

"Public Ivy"
To me, there's only 3 or 4 that really count. Michigan, UVA, Berkeley, and maybe William and Mary. My UG is technically listed as one on wikipedia, though

um excuse me

My school was kings once upon a time

My UG has been GULC-ing. our campus is the ruins of former grandeur.
(GULC is now a verb)

This is accurate and I'll be using it in my layspeak to mess with people

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:18 pm

chargers21 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
chargers21 wrote:and now I'm officially an amateur law school admissions advisor :mrgreen: A friend who is probably not the smartest is asking for LSAT help and application help. Low gpa. Not sure how great of results I can help him get, but I would bet by the end of it he ends up going to the local state school for full price. Not great, but probably saving him from a complete junk school like he's considering
edit: actually, after looking at myLSN, a 160 (which may very well be his max) could get him in at half price

What's his gpa?

3.2ish, but likely lower by LSAC standards if my hunch is correct. Transferred to a pretty good UG (read: mine) from a terrible one where he had like sub 3.

Not sub 3.0 he's fine
work experience is bae
175 or bust and he will see really good money
ex http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Dxgriffin

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:22 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Thanks! Good point, but I could have done a little better if I hadn't ripped through taking LSATs instead of putting in extra study time and sitting a year.


What do you suggest the best way to study is? I'm worried that I won't have too many PTs to get in if I do 1/week review and revisit problem areas.. that only allows for 15 PTs.. I was thinking of adding in more PTs towards the end, but it sounds from your post that this strategy might be a mistake?

Oh no! Take lots of PTs if you want! I took 2 less-than-prepared-for real LSATs because I wanted to go to school this fall, instead of calming down and taking my time studying more before taking them. That's what I was referring to. I scored realllllly low on my first take and because of the old restriction it kept me from taking the extra LSAT I needed to get where I could.

I should have put in more time on weird LGs and found out the specific RC questions that tripped me up. I was always pretty good at LR (-2 per section), but I still should have found out what question type was probably tripping me up every time. I also should have taken more 5 sections PTs, instead of doing my PTs a section at a time because I was too busy to set aside enough time for full ones


Ohhh!!! How many PTs overall did you take?

This month (June) I plan on doing section tests i.e. 1 section per day + review but from July onwards 5 section tests with the break. I took a proctors test at a local uni two weeks ago and found my brain significantly slowed down after my snack so I need to acclimate to that..

LR is unfortunately my worst section so I've been redoing the 7Sage curriculum and drilling.

It sounds like you got some awesome offers with $$ so your prep had to have paid off in some ways :)

Thanks! I'm really happy! And I took like 15 full PTs over the course of my whole marathon, but I did a lot of section drilling because that's what I had time for

ngogirl12

Silver
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:27 pm

chargers21 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Thanks! Good point, but I could have done a little better if I hadn't ripped through taking LSATs instead of putting in extra study time and sitting a year.


What do you suggest the best way to study is? I'm worried that I won't have too many PTs to get in if I do 1/week review and revisit problem areas.. that only allows for 15 PTs.. I was thinking of adding in more PTs towards the end, but it sounds from your post that this strategy might be a mistake?

Oh no! Take lots of PTs if you want! I took 2 less-than-prepared-for real LSATs because I wanted to go to school this fall, instead of calming down and taking my time studying more before taking them. That's what I was referring to. I scored realllllly low on my first take and because of the old restriction it kept me from taking the extra LSAT I needed to get where I could.

I should have put in more time on weird LGs and found out the specific RC questions that tripped me up. I was always pretty good at LR (-2 per section), but I still should have found out what question type was probably tripping me up every time. I also should have taken more 5 sections PTs, instead of doing my PTs a section at a time because I was too busy to set aside enough time for full ones


Ohhh!!! How many PTs overall did you take?

This month (June) I plan on doing section tests i.e. 1 section per day + review but from July onwards 5 section tests with the break. I took a proctors test at a local uni two weeks ago and found my brain significantly slowed down after my snack so I need to acclimate to that..

LR is unfortunately my worst section so I've been redoing the 7Sage curriculum and drilling.

It sounds like you got some awesome offers with $$ so your prep had to have paid off in some ways :)

Thanks! I'm really happy! And I took like 15 full PTs over the course of my whole marathon, but I did a lot of section drilling because that's what I had time for


Also, thank you for your feedback!! For your timed PTs was it just 60s and 70s or a diverse array of 50s-70s? The timed sections I'm assuming was from more recent tests?

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:29 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
chargers21 wrote:and now I'm officially an amateur law school admissions advisor :mrgreen: A friend who is probably not the smartest is asking for LSAT help and application help. Low gpa. Not sure how great of results I can help him get, but I would bet by the end of it he ends up going to the local state school for full price. Not great, but probably saving him from a complete junk school like he's considering
edit: actually, after looking at myLSN, a 160 (which may very well be his max) could get him in at half price

What's his gpa?

3.2ish, but likely lower by LSAC standards if my hunch is correct. Transferred to a pretty good UG (read: mine) from a terrible one where he had like sub 3.

Not sub 3.0 he's fine
work experience is bae
175 or bust and he will see really good money
ex http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Dxgriffin

It could be sub 3 by LSAC calculations.

And not to be mean to my friend, but he is not smart. Not even a little. As a nice guy I should recommend he go into some other career path, but he wants to be in law. He only wants like local PD/prosecutor stuff so he should be fine. He scored something like a 1200 out of 2400 on the SAT, and I'm not sure he could beat 160 by much. Just honestly speaking. If he gets a 160 he can go to the local ttt for free, and he has some ties to the local lawyers in my area so that's probably fine.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:32 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:Also, thank you for your feedback!! For your timed PTs was it just 60s and 70s or a diverse array of 50s-70s? The timed sections I'm assuming was from more recent tests?

No problem! I timed every PT and section I drilled after I got done figuring out how to get -0 on each individual logic game timed when giving myself 8 minutes to do them. I drilled sections on older tests, but my complete ones were the 60s and 70s.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 24, 2017 4:32 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:33 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
chargers21 wrote:and now I'm officially an amateur law school admissions advisor :mrgreen: A friend who is probably not the smartest is asking for LSAT help and application help. Low gpa. Not sure how great of results I can help him get, but I would bet by the end of it he ends up going to the local state school for full price. Not great, but probably saving him from a complete junk school like he's considering
edit: actually, after looking at myLSN, a 160 (which may very well be his max) could get him in at half price

What's his gpa?

3.2ish, but likely lower by LSAC standards if my hunch is correct. Transferred to a pretty good UG (read: mine) from a terrible one where he had like sub 3.

Not sub 3.0 he's fine
work experience is bae
175 or bust and he will see really good money
ex http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Dxgriffin

It could be sub 3 by LSAC calculations.

And not to be mean to my friend, but he is not smart. Not even a little. As a nice guy I should recommend he go into some other career path, but he wants to be in law. He only wants like local PD/prosecutor stuff so he should be fine. He scored something like a 1200 out of 2400 on the SAT, and I'm not sure he could beat 160 by much. Just honestly speaking. If he gets a 160 he can go to the local ttt for free, and he has some ties to the local lawyers in my area so that's probably fine.

different story...

If that is his career goal maybe the state he wants to be in and a 166+(?) for a lot of money and 170 for a lock. TTT and state powerhouse are different, busting your ass can equal a little more prestige

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:43 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
chargers21 wrote:and now I'm officially an amateur law school admissions advisor :mrgreen: A friend who is probably not the smartest is asking for LSAT help and application help. Low gpa. Not sure how great of results I can help him get, but I would bet by the end of it he ends up going to the local state school for full price. Not great, but probably saving him from a complete junk school like he's considering
edit: actually, after looking at myLSN, a 160 (which may very well be his max) could get him in at half price

What's his gpa?

3.2ish, but likely lower by LSAC standards if my hunch is correct. Transferred to a pretty good UG (read: mine) from a terrible one where he had like sub 3.

Not sub 3.0 he's fine
work experience is bae
175 or bust and he will see really good money
ex http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Dxgriffin

It could be sub 3 by LSAC calculations.

And not to be mean to my friend, but he is not smart. Not even a little. As a nice guy I should recommend he go into some other career path, but he wants to be in law. He only wants like local PD/prosecutor stuff so he should be fine. He scored something like a 1200 out of 2400 on the SAT, and I'm not sure he could beat 160 by much. Just honestly speaking. If he gets a 160 he can go to the local ttt for free, and he has some ties to the local lawyers in my area so that's probably fine.

different story...

If that is his career goal maybe the state he wants to be in and a 166+(?) for a lot of money and 170 for a lock. TTT and state powerhouse are different, busting your ass can equal a little more prestige

I mean, I'm going to push him to get high enough to get into my UG's LS with good money, which is very good for his goals. That or full at the TTT seem doable. The TTT is not the worst in the world by any means, just not worth paying for. There is a decent school nearby, but with his GPA it will cost too much money either way with his likely LSAT outcomes. I mean, I barely got into that range, and I not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm definitely more intelligent than him by a longshot in about every way possible. He's a nice guy, though, so I'm trying to keep him out of paying full price to the ttt which he'd be willing to do

ngogirl12

Silver
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:45 pm

chargers21 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:Also, thank you for your feedback!! For your timed PTs was it just 60s and 70s or a diverse array of 50s-70s? The timed sections I'm assuming was from more recent tests?

No problem! I timed every PT and section I drilled after I got done figuring out how to get -0 on each individual logic game timed when giving myself 8 minutes to do them. I drilled sections on older tests, but my complete ones were the 60s and 70s.


Thanks again!! :D

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Wed May 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Got my departmental graduation ceremony in a little bit

I've always hated graduation because I hate walking across a stage like that but it is what it is! Hopefully they don't talk too much because I can't be bothered sitting there for a very long time listening to them.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Anon-e-miss » Wed May 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

wot
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/parcoeur

"Public Ivy"
To me, there's only 3 or 4 that really count. Michigan, UVA, Berkeley, and maybe William and Mary. My UG is technically listed as one on wikipedia, though

Agree.

I tend to disagree with the term. As someone about to graduate from a "public ivy" (Berkeley, obviously :P ), I think that the experience and culture at a large public school is so different than that of an Ivy as to render the term meaningless. I imagine that the experience of an average Berkeley student is more comparable to that of a UC Irvine student than it is to a Stanford student.
I could be wrong, but that has been my analysis of my own experience and those of my peers.
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ngogirl12

Silver
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Mikey wrote:Got my departmental graduation ceremony in a little bit

I've always hated graduation because I hate walking across a stage like that but it is what it is! Hopefully they don't talk too much because I can't be bothered sitting there for a very long time listening to them.



CONGRATS!!!

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Wed May 24, 2017 4:57 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Got my departmental graduation ceremony in a little bit

I've always hated graduation because I hate walking across a stage like that but it is what it is! Hopefully they don't talk too much because I can't be bothered sitting there for a very long time listening to them.



CONGRATS!!!

<3 thanks

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 24, 2017 5:04 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Wed May 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:Got my departmental graduation ceremony in a little bit

I've always hated graduation because I hate walking across a stage like that but it is what it is! Hopefully they don't talk too much because I can't be bothered sitting there for a very long time listening to them.

Congrats! 8) 8)

Thanks!

You're next!!! 8)

ngogirl12

Silver
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Just finished doing 12 weird/pattern LG.

I went perfect score on 7 LG
-1 on 4 LG
-2 on 1 LG

Guess I'll be reviewing the ones I got wrong tomorrow. Thank you JY for preparing me!! :D

And now, at 2pm I get to have lunch. Lmao. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Mikey wrote:Got my departmental graduation ceremony in a little bit

I've always hated graduation because I hate walking across a stage like that but it is what it is! Hopefully they don't talk too much because I can't be bothered sitting there for a very long time listening to them.

It's about damn time... Congrats! :D

User avatar
twiix

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby twiix » Wed May 24, 2017 6:02 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

wot
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/parcoeur

"Public Ivy"
To me, there's only 3 or 4 that really count. Michigan, UVA, Berkeley, and maybe William and Mary. My UG is technically listed as one on wikipedia, though


I'm from one.. (one that you didn't mention) and you best believe I play that shit up as much as possible.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:17 pm

TWiiX wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

wot
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/parcoeur

"Public Ivy"
To me, there's only 3 or 4 that really count. Michigan, UVA, Berkeley, and maybe William and Mary. My UG is technically listed as one on wikipedia, though


I'm from one.. (one that you didn't mention) and you best believe I play that shit up as much as possible.

I mean, if wikipedia says it, it must be true :mrgreen:

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 pm

I learned/studied 4 extra chapters for that midterm. Brb while I commit sudoku.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests