The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:37 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:pulling tomorrow for work because I want to go Thursday or Friday to my old professors office hours and try to solicit an lor. Do you think walking in is that bad of an idea? I've been out of her class 1.5 years but saw her about 7 months ago.

Seems like a fine idea to me.

Like shes mad cool (and one of the catalysts to my law journey) but my hair has significantly changed so I'm worried she'll have no clue who I am and tell me to buzz off.
All of my apps will be deemed irrelevant due to lackluster LORs. Gonna have to make up for it with interview techniques and personal statements.

Most people's face recognition abilities aren't that bad. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Also fucking same. I hope we're not the minority there.

one of the admissions masters said that lors really aren't that unique and all follow the same pattern. Idk I was denied 2 of them because, "I didn't take them throughout my undergraduate career." They only taught 3 classes all of which I took...

Seriously? Shit.
And 3 classes with the same prof is hell of a lot by my book.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:pulling tomorrow for work because I want to go Thursday or Friday to my old professors office hours and try to solicit an lor. Do you think walking in is that bad of an idea? I've been out of her class 1.5 years but saw her about 7 months ago.

Like shes mad cool (and one of the catalysts to my law journey) but my hair has significantly changed so I'm worried she'll have no clue who I am and tell me to buzz off.
All of my apps will be deemed irrelevant due to lackluster LORs. Gonna have to make up for it with interview techniques and personal statements.

Most people's face recognition abilities aren't that bad. I'm sure it'll be fine.

one of the admissions masters said that lors really aren't that unique and all follow the same pattern. Idk I was denied 2 of them because, "I didn't take them throughout my undergraduate career." They only taught 3 classes all of which I took...

Seriously? Shit.

I was pretty let down. I've got 2 right now but one of them is a PhD candidate and I've heard those aren't good... Am conflicted and unnecessary stress. Hopefully this one bites so I just just relax before picking up prep.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:43 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Seriously? Shit.

I was pretty let down. I've got 2 right now but one of them is a PhD candidate and I've heard those aren't good... Am conflicted and unnecessary stress. Hopefully this one bites so I just just relax before picking up prep.

That's fucking ridiculous. What a dick move. And 2 did that?? Jesus. that makes me nervous as fuck.
Hope you get this one smoothly.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Alexandros wrote:That's fucking ridiculous. What a dick move. And 2 did that?? Jesus. that makes me nervous as fuck.

one of them I understood completely and was very nice, I hadn't seen him since freshman year but it was a hail mary pass and I knew it. The other I didn't get AT ALL. The last day of his class he said, " I'm here to help you guys.... if you need something like an lor or anything please email me blah blah blah." So I was irritated when he said no. I was going to email him saying don't lead your students on but I digress.

Get it out of the way now homie. Try at the end of the semester maybe?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:51 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:That's fucking ridiculous. What a dick move. And 2 did that?? Jesus. that makes me nervous as fuck.

one of them I understood completely and was very nice, I hadn't seen him since freshman year but it was a hail mary pass and I knew it. The other I didn't get AT ALL. The last day of his class he said, " I'm here to help you guys.... if you need something like an lor or anything please email me blah blah blah." So I was irritated when he said no. I was going to email him saying don't lead your students on but I digress.

Jesus, that's ridiculous. I'd be pissed.

Lmao, no one in this damn institution knows who I am, RIP. also you'll probably get a neurotic PM from me on this subject at some point in the future.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Jesus, that's ridiculous. I'd be pissed.

Lmao, no one in this damn institution knows who I am, RIP. also you'll probably get a neurotic PM from me on this subject at some point in the future.

They probably know you better than mine know me at this point. It is a lot easier to deny someone over email than in person so I think my approach here may fair in my favor.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:02 pm

First year calc midterm had a 50% average and the prof is refusing to curve it. I am so grateful I'm done math 4ever. *remembers how bad I did in that class and feels less grateful*

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Alexandros wrote:First year calc midterm had a 50% average and the prof is refusing to curve it. I am so grateful I'm done math 4ever. *remembers how bad I did in that class and feels less grateful*

Did we have the same teacher? I somehow pulled a 70 on mine and I think that night was the worst night of my ug career and what pushed me to the law side. It was pouring rain, 1030 at night, my lady friend had left me, I thought I failed my exam then my flip flop slipped off my foot and went down a storm drain.

It was all the worst day ever aside from not having any LORs in a week.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Man, I don't even want to think about LORs. I guess now that I'll be taking courses with smaller class sizes I should start picking out targets. It feels so unnatural though, going to office hours with no questions lol.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:12 pm

oopsu812 wrote:Man, I don't even want to think about LORs. I guess now that I'll be taking courses with smaller class sizes I should start picking out targets. It feels so unnatural though, going to office hours with no questions lol.

Get it done in UG. Hell get it done at the end of the semester with a professor that you're buddy-buddy with.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Writing the emails to let them know I'm coming:
[+] Spoiler

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:22 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:First year calc midterm had a 50% average and the prof is refusing to curve it. I am so grateful I'm done math 4ever. *remembers how bad I did in that class and feels less grateful*

Did we have the same teacher? I somehow pulled a 70 on mine and I think that night was the worst night of my ug career and what pushed me to the law side. It was pouring rain, 1030 at night, my lady friend had left me, I thought I failed my exam then my flip flop slipped off my foot and went down a storm drain.

Jesus I am sorry. That sounds awful.

It def wasn't this bad in my day - I feel sorry for these chickeries (altho, that said, we didn't have a midterm and the final was worth something like 92% of your grade). I think one of the happiest days of my UG career was finding out I got a 72% on the engineering physics midterm.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:22 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Man, I don't even want to think about LORs. I guess now that I'll be taking courses with smaller class sizes I should start picking out targets. It feels so unnatural though, going to office hours with no questions lol.

Get it done in UG. Hell get it done at the end of the semester with a professor that you're buddy-buddy with.

Yes sir! I'm pretty much hoping that this summer semester and fall semester I'll foster some good relationships during office hours, kill their classes, and then try to get myself involved with their research, so even if I can't take more of their classes, I'll still be working with them. Then I'll have more than enough time to make them love me. plz

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

It def wasn't this bad in my day - I feel sorry for these chickeries (altho, that said, we didn't have a midterm and the final was worth something like 92% of your grade). I think one of the happiest days of my UG career was finding out I got a 72% on the engineering physics midterm.

no lol different teacher; although I may ask one of my math professors since they all loved me. Do LS's care about whom the LOR is from?

WHY TF DID YOU MAJOR HAVE ENGINEERING PHYSICS! That is for the ChemE,EE,MechE, CsE/ you get the idea over here and is a 4XXX level class. I think my best day of college was knowing that LS was the path... too bad that was October of senior year.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:26 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Yes sir! I'm pretty much hoping that this summer semester and fall semester I'll foster some good relationships during office hours, kill their classes, and then try to get myself involved with their research, so even if I can't take more of their classes, I'll still be working with them. Then I'll have more than enough time to make them love me. plz

Glass half full, you aren't going in hat in hand almost begging for them.

How undervalued are PhD candidate lors? I'll just stop now if they aren't really.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:29 pm

DJ - nice Futurama.

Such a .gifable and video linkable show.

Por ejemplo,

Why do you want big law?

[+] Spoiler

Dropped some bands on a new printer.
Worth it.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:34 pm

34iplaw wrote:DJ - nice Futurama.

Such a .gifable and video linkable show.

Por ejemplo,

Why do you want big law?

[+] Spoiler

Dropped some bands on a new printer.
Worth it.

The BL one is only relevant without debt; which means you had good LoRs. And a printer? so you spent 60 dollars on the machine and $200,000 on ink.

Me Thursday:
[+] Spoiler

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:35 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

no lol different teacher; although I may ask one of my math professors since they all loved me. Do LS's care about whom the LOR is from?

WHY TF DID YOU MAJOR HAVE ENGINEERING PHYSICS! That is for the ChemE,EE,MechE, CsE/ you get the idea over here and is a 4XXX level class. I think my best day of college was knowing that LS was the path... too bad that was October of senior year.

I dunno - I hope not. but probably not, would be very unfair to STEM peeps if they didn't like STEM prof LoRs.

It fucking didn't. I was an idiot and took it to 'keep doors open' in case I wanted to major in eng or physics. Still ticked off because the life sciences physics was a joke in comparison, and I would've finished much stronger first year if I'd just stuck with the standard life sciences curriculum instead of fucking around with engineering and computer science. (That said, knew a kid who was a poli sci major and took it as an elective. I think he got a 49.5% on the midterm too, 0.5% away from a pass.)

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:41 pm

Alexandros wrote:I dunno - I hope not. but probably not, would be very unfair to STEM peeps if they didn't like STEM prof LoRs.

It fucking didn't. I was an idiot and took it to 'keep doors open' in case I wanted to major in eng or physics. Still ticked off because the life sciences physics was a joke in comparison, and I would've finished much stronger first year if I'd just stuck with the standard life sciences curriculum instead of fucking around with engineering and computer science. (That said, knew a kid who was a poli sci major and took it as an elective. I think he got a 49.5% on the midterm too, 0.5% away from a pass.)

I think they're just letters of your character. imo the interview tells more than the references.

I think we are the same person but you got your LS aspirations together quicker and didn't linger in the world of engineering longer so that it became a detrimental part of you academic career.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 pm

dj9i27 wrote:The BL one is only relevant without debt; which means you had good LoRs. And a printer? so you spent 60 dollars on the machine and $200,000 on ink.

Me Thursday:
[+] Spoiler

$350 :|

It came with toner tho. Done with Inkjets; screw that noise.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:43 pm

34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:The BL one is only relevant without debt; which means you had good LoRs. And a printer? so you spent 60 dollars on the machine and $200,000 on ink.

Me Thursday:
[+] Spoiler

What the hell did you buy, a 3D printer? I've gotten inkjets 5ever, might upgrade my entire electronic arsenal come LS if I ever get in thanks to LoRs

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:50 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Me Thursday:
[+] Spoiler

What the hell did you buy, a 3D printer? I've gotten inkjets 5ever, might upgrade my entire electronic arsenal come LS if I ever get in thanks to LoRs

Nah HP Laserjet MFP M277DW, usually costs $430 tho. Toner and toner printers are more expensive, but they last far longer and are cheaper in the long run. The problem with inkjets is they can get messed up if they are used somewhat sporadically.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:03 am

Just thought I'd chime in on the LOR thing. I never took multiple classes with any professors, but I did take lab style course and TA with professors who later wrote my LORs. Kinda weird that some professors would expect people to repeat with them.

Also, Duke ASW was pretty lit this weekend

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:07 am

chargers21 wrote:Just thought I'd chime in on the LOR thing. I never took multiple classes with any professors, but I did take lab style course and TA with professors who later wrote my LORs. Kinda weird that some professors would expect people to repeat with them.

let's do a brief overview of chargers:
Gets into Duke with money
Gets into Chicago
Get LoR quickly and without headache

Me
Relevant WE...
[+] Spoiler

Jokes aside are you committing to Duke or still up in the air?

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:24 am

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Just thought I'd chime in on the LOR thing. I never took multiple classes with any professors, but I did take lab style course and TA with professors who later wrote my LORs. Kinda weird that some professors would expect people to repeat with them.

let's do a brief overview of chargers:
Gets into Duke with money
Gets into Chicago
Get LoR quickly and without headache

Me
Relevant WE...
[+] Spoiler

Jokes aside are you committing to Duke or still up in the air?

I am actually still waiting on 1 of my LORs though, but he was busy with research and after 3 months I told him I had found someone else and to get to it if he had time but that it was no longer a big issue. So 3 out of 4 were relatively smooth and quick to get and the professors were excited to write them. I oversold the ease of my experience :oops:

I'll be sitting down and crafting a few negotiation emails tomorrow. If the money at Duke line's up how the financial aid person I spoke with in person alluded to, then I'll be signing dem papers. Unless Chicago's scholly comes in and it's fire and the ASW in 2 weeks is likewise fire. Everything but those 2 schools I think were basically bumped out by a combo of the Chicago acceptance and the pleasantness of Durham
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?