The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

oopsu812

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:14 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Is that the type that's usually the first question in a game?
Going back through the rules (original rules) and eliminating rule by rule is a good strategy imo.

I think the first question is usually something like this --> "Which of the following is an acceptable schedule of classes for Thursdays?" Which I don't have an issue with.

I have a problem with these --> "Which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of the periods in which Jackie can take Chorale?"

I find myself having to write out each answer choice possibility until I can eliminate them. I'm sure there's a better way to attack this but maybe I haven't gotten to that point in LGB or maybe I missed it :?

I'd leave those sorts of questions until last, because then you can look over the possible 'worlds' from earlier questions and knock a couple of answer choices out quickly.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Mon May 22, 2017 2:21 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Going back through the rules (original rules) and eliminating rule by rule is a good strategy imo.

I think the first question is usually something like this --> "Which of the following is an acceptable schedule of classes for Thursdays?" Which I don't have an issue with.

I have a problem with these --> "Which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of the periods in which Jackie can take Chorale?"

I find myself having to write out each answer choice possibility until I can eliminate them. I'm sure there's a better way to attack this but maybe I haven't gotten to that point in LGB or maybe I missed it :?

I'd leave those sorts of questions until last, because then you can look over the possible 'worlds' from earlier questions and knock a couple of answer choices out quickly.

I completely agree.

I really need to get better at completing each sketch for its respective question. I usually identify my answer choice half way through a sketch then move on without completing it (to save time). This approach would help a lot if I complete all sketches as I go.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:40 pm

chewinggum wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

I completely agree.

I really need to get better at completing each sketch for its respective question. I usually identify my answer choice half way through a sketch then move on without completing it (to save time). This approach would help a lot if I complete all sketches as I go.

From what I've seen of questions like that, they often rely on you making some sort of important inference, and if you haven't made that inference, it could be hard to knock answer choices out quickly. So I'd see if you could knock any answer choices out by just going through the rules the game has given you, and if that doesn't give you the answer, move on and come back once you've answered other questions. By that point you probably will have discovered the inference, or found enough possible worlds that you'll get the answer anyways.

I'm not a LG master though, so hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can chime in.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon May 22, 2017 3:38 pm

ugh

can we please just talk about how alex got the score that he did

it's not fair, alex you have to give me your secrets, seriously

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:53 pm

what's the deal with Cornell? are they super NY insular?

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:22 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:what's the deal with Cornell? are they super NY insular?

I would imagine they have pull in NY, international (like Ivies have, but this probably doesn't apply to LS as much), and are useful for returning to home markets. In my home markets, I figure it would be easy to sell as an Ivy.

Similar in mine, but as for OCI my home market is hard (you know, without stanny). I'll keep it in mind.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 pm

PT Superprep II C2

LG: -1 Dammit
LR: 0 first time getting zero on LR :)
LR2: -1
RC: -3 I hate RC.

Score: 175

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:10 pm

calmike wrote:PT Superprep II C2

LG: -1 Dammit
LR: 0 first time getting zero on LR :)
LR2: -1
RC: -3 I hate RC.

Score: 175

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

I would imagine they have pull in NY, international (like Ivies have, but this probably doesn't apply to LS as much), and are useful for returning to home markets. In my home markets, I figure it would be easy to sell as an Ivy.

Similar in mine, but as for OCI my home market is hard (you know, without stanny). I'll keep it in mind.

There's so much variability in secondary markets, though. Mine has no crystal clear home run level feeder school so ties + t13 school (even with bad grades, I'd imagine) I think would be enough. Surprisingly these firms do Duke's OCI so I'm not sure whether I'll bid for them

I got ties to my homemarket, but it is rare to get 120g+ out the gate. Looking at who goes to where for OCI is going to matter, I know Bracewell goes to Duke and they are my #1 firm choice.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 22, 2017 9:14 pm

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 pm

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 22, 2017 9:28 pm

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

There's so much variability in secondary markets, though. Mine has no crystal clear home run level feeder school so ties + t13 school (even with bad grades, I'd imagine) I think would be enough. Surprisingly these firms do Duke's OCI so I'm not sure whether I'll bid for them

I got ties to my homemarket, but it is rare to get 120g+ out the gate. Looking at who goes to where for OCI is going to matter, I know Bracewell goes to Duke and they are my #1 firm choice.

lol starting to get worried about my ability to avoid NYC BL

I guess maybe start thinking about what firms in whatever city/region you'd want to work for, and see where they go for OCI. Or look at OCI lists if you can find them!
Last edited by oopsu812 on Mon May 22, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Mon May 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Alexandros wrote:My new fav thing are 0Ls in the BernieTrump thread who Are Special Because They Worked Retail Once and/or Didn't Come From Money.

I love people who pride themselves on not coming from money because it somehow is less obnoxious than priding yourself on coming from money. :|

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:lol starting to get worried about my ability to avoid NYC BL

This is my absolute biggest fear. At Duke's ASW, they said their motto for those wanting BL is that if you don't initially get a job at OCI, they WILL get you a job in NY.

At least you're at Duke which places excellently in the south and have ties to another secondary market. I'm worried about what would happen if NYC school + no ties anywhere.

Yeah, I feel like Duke really expands my reach more than about anywhere other than HYS would have. Duke gives me access to NC, the south, NYC, a litttle bit DC, plus I have ties to Chicago and my home market.

You'll have options outside of NY schools, just a hunch! I guess you don't have ties to a real secondary market, but you'll get the Mordecai and have the option to work in the south if you want

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 22, 2017 9:48 pm

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:55 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Alexandros wrote:My new fav thing are 0Ls in the BernieTrump thread who Are Special Because They Worked Retail Once and/or Didn't Come From Money.

I love people who pride themselves on not coming from money because it somehow is less obnoxious than priding yourself on coming from money. :|

Yeah. Like, I get that top law schools probably have a decent amount of rich people but, like, believe it or not but a large chunk of us in law and in the world also did not come from wealth. :roll:

also, fucking everyone has worked retail / shitty manual labor jobs / whatever.

(that aside, it's a fascinating glimpse into how persistent people are in believing whatever special snowflake thing they want to be true.)

Dont quote. I wrote my PS basically about not coming from money and working in a factory. :shock:

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

Yeah. Like, I get that top law schools probably have a decent amount of rich people but, like, believe it or not but a large chunk of us in law and in the world also did not come from wealth. :roll:

also, fucking everyone has worked retail / shitty manual labor jobs / whatever.

(that aside, it's a fascinating glimpse into how persistent people are in believing whatever special snowflake thing they want to be true.)

Dont quote.

I think that's a great (and very unique) topic for a PS, and it seems like it worked out well because you got excellent outcomes.

I'm only talking about people who think they're going to be able to handle BL so much better than everyone else because they assume all the people complaining about BL on TLS are rich KJDs who never had a real job.

If I hadn't visited that thread before and read the tone some of those people use when saying that stuff, I'd feel like you were targeting me :lol: myself and a few others have hinted on here about having a slight advantage in BL because of a history of working 70+ hour weeks, and perhaps someone (who could that be?) even mentioned working 3rd shift specifically as an advantage because he didn't sleep regularly at all and survived

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?