The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am

can I just skip the part where I get a 172 on the LSAT and start school already

kthnx

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Mikey wrote:can I just skip the part where I get a 172 on the LSAT and start school already

kthnx

Same. But with a full ride and a stipend

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Fri May 19, 2017 12:32 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Mikey wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Choosing question order in LG is extremely useful advice though. I highly recommend everyone train their brain to skip MBT/CBT/MBF/CBF until the very end as mikey said. This alone will save you a minute(s) on each game.

What do those acronyms stand for? Exactly what should I skip? Sorry, newbie here. :roll: :oops:

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Fri May 19, 2017 12:33 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Mikey wrote:can I just skip the part where I get a 172 on the LSAT and start school already

kthnx

Same. But with a full ride and a stipend

Would you accept a full ride to a school other than a T14 if it was full ride? I guess it would depend on the T14 schools you did get accepted to ... ? Sometimes I think I'd be crazy not to accept a full ride to like UCLA or something, even if I got into a T14 for full price?!

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Fri May 19, 2017 12:36 pm

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Prediction: H's 25th percentile GPA will plummet.

*Prayer hands*

If it tanks too bad they may try to overcorrect the next few cycles to bring it back up...

My guess is they'll still care about LSAT median a lot more than GPA 25th. They won't bring the GPA 25th back up at the expense of the LSAT median.

Mystic Alex says 3.6x. They accepted essentially everyone on LSN with an LSAT at or above 175 and a GPA > 3.55. Yield will be especially high for folks with lower GPAs who are less likely to have gotten YS / full-ride options.

I feel like HYS is a much more reasonable expectation for K-JD's based on solely need-based aid. Kind of offputting because I'd end up with sticker because engineering jobs pay a decent amount already

jk i wont get in to any so i dont need to worry

[spoiler]

Kind of, but, on the other hand, it's crazy easy to go over the limit in terms of salary and assets if you have middle class parents in their 50s and they're counting 100% of their income/assets as yours. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people receiving need-based aid were >25.

So law schools do offer need-based scholarships? I thought it was solely based on merit (or, well, your LSAT score)?!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 12:37 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Mikey wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Choosing question order in LG is extremely useful advice though. I highly recommend everyone train their brain to skip MBT/CBT/MBF/CBF until the very end as mikey said. This alone will save you a minute(s) on each game.

What do those acronyms stand for? Exactly what should I skip? Sorry, newbie here. :roll: :oops:

must be trust, could be true, must be false, and could be false.

basically, all of the questions that have answer choices that make you try each one. if you do them last, and do all the IF questions first, you can eliminate answers for the MBT/CBT/MBF/CBF ones just by looking at your already made game boards for the other questions, thus you wouldn't have to try out every single answer choice for these questions.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 12:38 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Prediction: H's 25th percentile GPA will plummet.

*Prayer hands*

If it tanks too bad they may try to overcorrect the next few cycles to bring it back up...

My guess is they'll still care about LSAT median a lot more than GPA 25th. They won't bring the GPA 25th back up at the expense of the LSAT median.

Mystic Alex says 3.6x. They accepted essentially everyone on LSN with an LSAT at or above 175 and a GPA > 3.55. Yield will be especially high for folks with lower GPAs who are less likely to have gotten YS / full-ride options.

I feel like HYS is a much more reasonable expectation for K-JD's based on solely need-based aid. Kind of offputting because I'd end up with sticker because engineering jobs pay a decent amount already

jk i wont get in to any so i dont need to worry

[spoiler]

Kind of, but, on the other hand, it's crazy easy to go over the limit in terms of salary and assets if you have middle class parents in their 50s and they're counting 100% of their income/assets as yours. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people receiving need-based aid were >25.

So law schools do offer need-based scholarships? I thought it was solely based on merit (or, well, your LSAT score)?!

Pretty sure it's predominantly merit at most schools but HYS only offer need-based aid.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri May 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Wow this took off so this is super behind. How much did the 2.9/177 get to CLS? That seems...kinda nuts seeing that CLS must know they were going to be the best school that student would get into and they wouldn't see a ton of money elsewhere. Maybe they had something else going on.

ALSO, WOAH SHIT - MIKEY HAS A RIVAL, LAWYER CAT.
Last edited by 34iplaw on Fri May 19, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Fri May 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Last edited by chewinggum on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 12:50 pm

chewinggum wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:Would you accept a full ride to a school other than a T14 if it was full ride? I guess it would depend on the T14 schools you did get accepted to ... ? Sometimes I think I'd be crazy not to accept a full ride to like UCLA or something, even if I got into a T14 for full price?!

It really depends on the location for me. I'd gladly accept a full ride from my UG law school (UMD CP) but if they offer me a full ride and NYU/Columbia accepts me with no money I'll be a New Yorker. Any other school in between would be a tougher decision because I'm super debt adverse

Yeah, once you're out of the t14 basically all the schools are regional. Full at UCLA is great if you want to practice in California.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:50 pm

34iplaw wrote:Wow this took off so this is super behind. How much did the 2.9/177 get to CLS? That seems...kinda nuts seeing that CLS must know they were going to be the best school that student would get into and they wouldn't see a ton of money elsewhere. Maybe they had something else going on.

poast moar, 34.

Probably a helluva PS
also, troll
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jacky123

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:53 pm

chewinggum wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:Would you accept a full ride to a school other than a T14 if it was full ride? I guess it would depend on the T14 schools you did get accepted to ... ? Sometimes I think I'd be crazy not to accept a full ride to like UCLA or something, even if I got into a T14 for full price?!

It really depends on the location for me. I'd gladly accept a full ride from my UG law school (UMD CP) but if they offer me a full ride and NYU/Columbia accepts me with no money I'll be a New Yorker. Any other school in between would be a tougher decision because I'm super debt adverse

You can't be super debt averse and be willing to pay sticker to the MOST expensive law school. :) but anywho, the UCLA example is probably a bad one. Anyone that gets a fully from them will have solid scholarship offers in the t13

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 12:53 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Wow this took off so this is super behind. How much did the 2.9/177 get to CLS? That seems...kinda nuts seeing that CLS must know they were going to be the best school that student would get into and they wouldn't see a ton of money elsewhere. Maybe they had something else going on.

poast moar, 34.

Probably a helluva PS
also, troll

Troll or Tiffany.
Who is the 2.9/177?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 12:57 pm

I think I missed dean's list by like .01, goddammit.
Study hard and don't get B+s, kids.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

poast moar, 34.

Probably a helluva PS
also, troll

Troll or Tiffany.
Who is the 2.9/177?

Probably a troll, Gtown only takes the best of the best.

not sure it is hearsay on my end. Has a 180 ever been denied from Harvard/s?

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri May 19, 2017 1:00 pm

I'll try to post more. ANYONE WANNA GET LIT IN FLUSHING TOMORROW? #lol

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

poast moar, 34.

Probably a helluva PS
also, troll

Troll or Tiffany.
Who is the 2.9/177?

Probably a troll, Gtown only takes the best of the best.

not sure it is hearsay on my end. Has a 180 ever been denied from Harvard/s?

Yes http://lawschoolnumbers.com/DualCitizenDualDegre
But with a >3.0 gpa I'd guess you're basically guaranteed at least a WL.

is this who i was referencing to? If so he needs to reapply, too late for a splitter

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri May 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Alexandros wrote:I dunno, I just went on LSN and looked for 180 denials.

Agree. Idk why people apply super late. With a Dec LSAT or later I'd just wait until next fall and get an extra year of WE.

I don't think re-applicants are treated too harshly, so I think it's more just a value/time proposition.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 1:11 pm

34iplaw wrote:

Agree. Idk why people apply super late. With a Dec LSAT or later I'd just wait until next fall and get an extra year of WE.

I don't think re-applicants are treated too harshly, so I think it's more just a value/time proposition.

That's true. But your options are going to be a lot more limited and seems like seems re-applying would be a pain.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri May 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

That's true. But your options are going to be a lot more limited and seems like seems re-applying would be a pain.

Yeah - I mean, I was a late applicant. Writing a new PS is going to be miserable IMO since I really like mine and it's a driving reason that doesn't really change in a years time.

My look was I scored quite well but fell short of my PT average. My PT average or a point or two below would basically be a lock at CLS with little to no money. Splitters don't seem to get significant money at NYU/PENN/CLS (maybe if I hit a 176+ which, while within the realm of reason for me, isn't something I am comfortable staking my cycle on relying), so I felt that, in my case, it made sense to apply to have the chance to enroll in the fall. Basic logic being NYU/Penn with an additional 30k-40k isn't worth a year of my life at this point, and NYU/PENN isn't worth a year over CLS. I'd be comfortable with assuming a 173-174 is entirely attainable for me... high may require a bit of luck with games being the harder section and whatever.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Fri May 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Last edited by chewinggum on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 1:28 pm

chewinggum wrote:Here's a question. Anyone know the minimum payment for a law school loan?

I don't have UG loans so I'm not sure if school loans have a standard payment or if it varies

I believe it varies on how much debt you have

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Yeah - I mean, I was a late applicant. Writing a new PS is going to be miserable IMO since I really like mine and it's a driving reason that doesn't really change in a years time.

My look was I scored quite well but fell short of my PT average. My PT average or a point or two below would basically be a lock at CLS with little to no money. Splitters don't seem to get significant money at NYU/PENN/CLS (maybe if I hit a 176+ which, while within the realm of reason for me, isn't something I am comfortable staking my cycle on relying), so I felt that, in my case, it made sense to apply to have the chance to enroll in the fall. Basic logic being NYU/Penn with an additional 30k-40k isn't worth a year of my life at this point, and NYU/PENN isn't worth a year over CLS. I'd be comfortable with assuming a 173-174 is entirely attainable for me... high may require a bit of luck with games being the harder section and whatever.

That all makes sense. My post was mostly referring to people who apply later than they need to - People who take the Dec LSAT as a first take and apply that cycle or people who needlessly wait for months after receiving their score to apply. A projected difference of 30k-40k makes sense, but I see people who might've otherwise gotten Hammies get at WL'd at HYSCC for applying in Feb.

I also think a year off is only beneficial for most applicants - I understand that you're older, so that doesn't really apply.

Ultimately, if you apply late you ought to do it with the realization that your cycle is going to be significantly worse than it would otherwise be (for most, depending on how late) and there's a good possibility you'll need to reapply.
Last edited by Alexandros on Fri May 19, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?