The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
20
44%
Yeah, kind of
8
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
6
13%
Not prepared but screw it
3
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
8
18%
 
Total votes: 45

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 8:11 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 8:15 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:GPA has officially exceeded CLS's 75th.
In b4 I get a D in the class that hasn't been updated.

Keep it up and enjoy your Hammy, mate. What is the 75th?

3.81.
I'm officially jinxing it by making premature announcements, will fail all courses next yr and graduate with 2.0.

Didn't realise it was so low compared to the rest of the T6. Man, I should just start getting myself excited for CLS honestly. Seems like that's where I'll end up.

And nah, I think you'll maintain that just fine.

It always shocks me how high GPAs are, especially relative to LSAT, at most law schools.

Yeah, shocks me too. I wonder why some schools favour high GPAs over LSATs, when high LSATs are much rarer and standardised.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:GPA has officially exceeded CLS's 75th.
In b4 I get a D in the class that hasn't been updated.

Keep it up and enjoy your Hammy, mate. What is the 75th?

3.81.
I'm officially jinxing it by making premature announcements, will fail all courses next yr and graduate with 2.0.

Didn't realise it was so low compared to the rest of the T6. Man, I should just start getting myself excited for CLS honestly. Seems like that's where I'll end up.

And nah, I think you'll maintain that just fine.

It always shocks me how high GPAs are, especially relative to LSAT, at most law schools.

Yeah, shocks me too. I wonder why some schools favour high GPAs over LSATs, when high LSATs are much rarer and standardised.

It was a lot easier for me to get a 170+ LSAT than even a 3.7 GPA. It surprises me that there are so many applicants with such a high GPAs and lower LSATs.

Also the thing about CLS is they don't give much $$ out between Butler and Hammy. Whereas a school like Mich gives out 120k and 150k out fairly frequently if you miss the big named full-ride.

Yeah, I've noticed that with Columbia too. 120k from Michigan would be no good to me though because I wouldn't be covered by their LRAP. I'd imagine I'd be better off taking on a bit more debt so that I would be covered. I'm not sure though, haven't crunched any numbers yet.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 9:00 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Keep it up and enjoy your Hammy, mate. What is the 75th?

3.81.
I'm officially jinxing it by making premature announcements, will fail all courses next yr and graduate with 2.0.

Didn't realise it was so low compared to the rest of the T6. Man, I should just start getting myself excited for CLS honestly. Seems like that's where I'll end up.

And nah, I think you'll maintain that just fine.

It always shocks me how high GPAs are, especially relative to LSAT, at most law schools.

Yeah, shocks me too. I wonder why some schools favour high GPAs over LSATs, when high LSATs are much rarer and standardised.

It was a lot easier for me to get a 170+ LSAT than even a 3.7 GPA. It surprises me that there are so many applicants with such a high GPAs and lower LSATs.

Also the thing about CLS is they don't give much $$ out between Butler and Hammy. Whereas a school like Mich gives out 120k and 150k out fairly frequently if you miss the big named full-ride.

Yeah, I've noticed that with Columbia too. 120k from Michigan would be no good to me though because I wouldn't be covered by their LRAP. I'd imagine I'd be better off taking on a bit more debt so that I would be covered. I'm not sure though, haven't crunched any numbers yet.

I thought you were planning on BL?

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:It was a lot easier for me to get a 170+ LSAT than even a 3.7 GPA. It surprises me that there are so many applicants with such a high GPAs and lower LSATs.

Also the thing about CLS is they don't give much $$ out between Butler and Hammy. Whereas a school like Mich gives out 120k and 150k out fairly frequently if you miss the big named full-ride.

Yeah, I've noticed that with Columbia too. 120k from Michigan would be no good to me though because I wouldn't be covered by their LRAP. I'd imagine I'd be better off taking on a bit more debt so that I would be covered. I'm not sure though, haven't crunched any numbers yet.

I thought you were planning on BL?

Sure, I wouldn't mind doing a couple of years to accumulate savings and pay off some debt if I knew I could go into PI after. I'd just be worried about being forced by debt to stay in BL for so long that the PI ship sails. Also, things change. Taking on lots of debt somewhere where I don't qualify for LRAP means I'm absolutely forced to go into BL, no matter what. Am I comfortable with that? Not sure. I'm talking like, 120k at Michigan vs. Butler at Columbia type difference here though, not sticker.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twiix

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby twiix » Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Oh noez.
Barbers can't be trusted.

I have one that I've been going to for 20+ years, shes the only one I trust at this point. Too bad the store is 2 hours away :/

I'm going to have either a plane cost or severe anxiety during OCI or 1oL pictures

I have trust issues with hairdressers. While I was abroad I refused to get my hair done, but this week I have an appointment with a new hairdresser, and I'm hoping she'll be my go to in the future. Pray 4 me.

I can't remember the last time I went to one - I think I was like 17? Iirc they left me sitting there for 45 minutes, barely did anything, and charged me $60. I just cut it myself. Looks bad but not as bad as when they do it.

I paid $15 and I thought I was getting ripped off. y so expense


Go to a salon dude. Best advice my mom ever gave me. I get a free facial (dont judge.. relaxing AF.. cant knock it till you try it), scalp massage, hot lather neck shave with a straight edge and they always do a good job. They're all super young so they know the trends of our generation, and usually they're not too bad looking either (added bonus). I usually spend around 40 after a tip. Worth every penny, ill never go back to a regular barber again.

User avatar
presidentspivey

Bronze
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby presidentspivey » Thu May 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:GPA has officially exceeded CLS's 75th.
In b4 I get a D in the class that hasn't been updated.

Keep it up and enjoy your Hammy, mate. What is the 75th?

3.81.
I'm officially jinxing it by making premature announcements, will fail all courses next yr and graduate with 2.0.

Didn't realise it was so low compared to the rest of the T6. Man, I should just start getting myself excited for CLS honestly. Seems like that's where I'll end up.

And nah, I think you'll maintain that just fine.

It always shocks me how high GPAs are, especially relative to LSAT, at most law schools.

Same on CLS oopus. Agreed on the high GPA thing. Take a look at this regional T1's 75ths
https://www.law.asu.edu/about/jd-facts-figures
3.80/163. I think the vast majority of students who get a 3.8 and are serious about law school are capable of getting a 170+. But I imagine a lot of these people treat the LSAT like the SAT/ACT. Maybe buy one book and take the June 2007 test and call it a day.

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:It was a lot easier for me to get a 170+ LSAT than even a 3.7 GPA. It surprises me that there are so many applicants with such a high GPAs and lower LSATs.

Also the thing about CLS is they don't give much $$ out between Butler and Hammy. Whereas a school like Mich gives out 120k and 150k out fairly frequently if you miss the big named full-ride.

Yeah, I've noticed that with Columbia too. 120k from Michigan would be no good to me though because I wouldn't be covered by their LRAP. I'd imagine I'd be better off taking on a bit more debt so that I would be covered. I'm not sure though, haven't crunched any numbers yet.

I thought you were planning on BL?

Sure, I wouldn't mind doing a couple of years to accumulate savings and pay off some debt if I knew I could go into PI after. I'd just be worried about being forced by debt to stay in BL for so long that the PI ship sails. Also, things change. Taking on lots of debt somewhere where I don't qualify for LRAP means I'm absolutely forced to go into BL, no matter what. Am I comfortable with that? Not sure. I'm talking like, 120k at Michigan vs. Butler at Columbia type difference here though, not sticker.

That makes sense.

All that said, I'm hoping I'll end up with The Great stats and it won't matter anyways.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:56 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Same on CLS oopus. Agreed on the high GPA thing. Take a look at this regional T1's 75ths
https://www.law.asu.edu/about/jd-facts-figures
3.80/163. I think the vast majority of students who get a 3.8 and are serious about law school are capable of getting a 170+. But I imagine a lot of these people treat the LSAT like the SAT/ACT. Maybe buy one book and take the June 2007 test and call it a day.

:cry: except me... But I guess I was capable. I averaged a 170 on PTs (basically all 169, 170, and 171s) and scored a random 174 once. Fell short on test day, but I guess I was capable and got results that were acceptable enough for my goals. If I was allowed a 4th take for the June test, no doubt I would have hit 170.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 pm

TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Oh noez.
Barbers can't be trusted.

I have one that I've been going to for 20+ years, shes the only one I trust at this point. Too bad the store is 2 hours away :/

I'm going to have either a plane cost or severe anxiety during OCI or 1oL pictures

I have trust issues with hairdressers. While I was abroad I refused to get my hair done, but this week I have an appointment with a new hairdresser, and I'm hoping she'll be my go to in the future. Pray 4 me.

I can't remember the last time I went to one - I think I was like 17? Iirc they left me sitting there for 45 minutes, barely did anything, and charged me $60. I just cut it myself. Looks bad but not as bad as when they do it.

I paid $15 and I thought I was getting ripped off. y so expense


Go to a salon dude. Best advice my mom ever gave me. I get a free facial (dont judge.. relaxing AF.. cant knock it till you try it), scalp massage, hot lather neck shave with a straight edge and they always do a good job. They're all super young so they know the trends of our generation, and usually they're not too bad looking either (added bonus). I usually spend around 40 after a tip. Worth every penny, ill never go back to a regular barber again.

I think I'm going to from now on, buy it nice or buy it twice (or in my case wait 1.5 months until normal). Thank Christ there aren't any interviews, otherwise they'd be asking me about my involvement with the alt-right

User avatar
presidentspivey

Bronze
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby presidentspivey » Thu May 18, 2017 10:01 pm

chargers21 wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:Same on CLS oopus. Agreed on the high GPA thing. Take a look at this regional T1's 75ths
https://www.law.asu.edu/about/jd-facts-figures
3.80/163. I think the vast majority of students who get a 3.8 and are serious about law school are capable of getting a 170+. But I imagine a lot of these people treat the LSAT like the SAT/ACT. Maybe buy one book and take the June 2007 test and call it a day.

:cry: except me... But I guess I was capable. I averaged a 170 on PTs (basically all 169, 170, and 171s) and scored a random 174 once. Fell short on test day, but I guess I was capable and got results that were acceptable enough for my goals. If I was allowed a 4th take for the June test, no doubt I would have hit 170.

You ended up with a great outcome though, and it sounds like you left everything on the field with the test. No need to feel bad!

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 10:06 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Oh noez.
Barbers can't be trusted.

I have one that I've been going to for 20+ years, shes the only one I trust at this point. Too bad the store is 2 hours away :/

I'm going to have either a plane cost or severe anxiety during OCI or 1oL pictures

I have trust issues with hairdressers. While I was abroad I refused to get my hair done, but this week I have an appointment with a new hairdresser, and I'm hoping she'll be my go to in the future. Pray 4 me.

I can't remember the last time I went to one - I think I was like 17? Iirc they left me sitting there for 45 minutes, barely did anything, and charged me $60. I just cut it myself. Looks bad but not as bad as when they do it.

I paid $15 and I thought I was getting ripped off. y so expense


Go to a salon dude. Best advice my mom ever gave me. I get a free facial (dont judge.. relaxing AF.. cant knock it till you try it), scalp massage, hot lather neck shave with a straight edge and they always do a good job. They're all super young so they know the trends of our generation, and usually they're not too bad looking either (added bonus). I usually spend around 40 after a tip. Worth every penny, ill never go back to a regular barber again.

I think I'm going to from now on, buy it nice or buy it twice (or in my case wait 1.5 months until normal). Thank Christ there aren't any interviews, otherwise they'd be asking me about my involvement with the alt-right

I'm so sorry.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:Same on CLS oopus. Agreed on the high GPA thing. Take a look at this regional T1's 75ths
https://www.law.asu.edu/about/jd-facts-figures
3.80/163. I think the vast majority of students who get a 3.8 and are serious about law school are capable of getting a 170+. But I imagine a lot of these people treat the LSAT like the SAT/ACT. Maybe buy one book and take the June 2007 test and call it a day.

:cry: except me... But I guess I was capable. I averaged a 170 on PTs (basically all 169, 170, and 171s) and scored a random 174 once. Fell short on test day, but I guess I was capable and got results that were acceptable enough for my goals. If I was allowed a 4th take for the June test, no doubt I would have hit 170.

You ended up with a great outcome though, and it sounds like you left everything on the field with the test. No need to feel bad!

Yeah, realistically it only cost me about 30k (lulz still a lot, but not not worth 2 years sitting out) or going to Harvard. I love Duke and it was really only second to Harvard for what I want do

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Alexandros wrote:I'm so sorry.

I think I will look like a people again this time next week; when I have to talk to my old professors lol.

My stubble is integrated with my sideburns, I don't know where to shave.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Alexandros wrote:I'm just gonna forget about S because it's not happening.

Might just try since I'm a urm.

My list right now is: Uva, Duke, UT, GT, Vandy, SMU, WUSTL, and UH. I might apply to cornell H, and S

User avatar
chewinggum

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chewinggum » Thu May 18, 2017 11:41 pm

.
Last edited by chewinggum on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 11:46 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:I'm so sorry.

I think I will look like a people again this time next week; when I have to talk to my old professors lol.

My stubble is integrated with my sideburns, I don't know where to shave.

Good luck, my friend.
Good thing about hair is that it grows back reasonably fast.

User avatar
chewinggum

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chewinggum » Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 am

PrezRand wrote:
Alexandros wrote:I'm just gonna forget about S because it's not happening.

Might just try since I'm a urm.

My list right now is: Uva, Duke, UT, GT, Vandy, SMU, WUSTL, and UH. I might apply to cornell H, and S

Just stay away from CN

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 2:54 am

Prediction: H's 25th percentile GPA will plummet.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri May 19, 2017 6:38 am

Alexandros wrote:Prediction: H's 25th percentile GPA will plummet.


*Prayer hands*

User avatar
twiix

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby twiix » Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Prediction: H's 25th percentile GPA will plummet.


*Prayer hands*


If it tanks too bad they may try to overcorrect the next few cycles to bring it back up...

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 10:03 am

TWiiX wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Prediction: H's 25th percentile GPA will plummet.


*Prayer hands*


If it tanks too bad they may try to overcorrect the next few cycles to bring it back up...

My guess is they'll still care about LSAT median a lot more than GPA 25th. They won't bring the GPA 25th back up at the expense of the LSAT median.

Mystic Alex says 3.6x. They accepted essentially everyone on LSN with an LSAT at or above 175 and a GPA > 3.55. Yield will be especially high for folks with lower GPAs who are less likely to have gotten YS / full-ride options.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests