The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
19%

Total votes: 47

PrezRand

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Thu May 18, 2017 1:58 pm

TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
It is all self reported, so you should take it with a grain of salt. THere is such a small pool of data for splitters and super splitters, that it really isn't fair to conclude anything at all. You just have to make your application perfect, and kill the LSAT. After that, it's praying to sweet baby jesus that adcoms somewhere see something promising in you.

Splitters are often more common to use consulting services like MS9 to help with the application process, so that also might be a leg up against other splitters. It obviously isn't required, but if you're looking at maximizing your outcome, it's definitely something to look into. They do amazing work.

Yeah I think the fact that it's self-reported definitely makes it appear more favorable for splitters than it actually is. I always wanted to do the consulting thing, I just don't think I can afford that cost for what might be a negligible boost.

does this mean DJ 4 Stanford?

No. it means dj for prez

Excuse me?

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:59 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
It is all self reported, so you should take it with a grain of salt. THere is such a small pool of data for splitters and super splitters, that it really isn't fair to conclude anything at all. You just have to make your application perfect, and kill the LSAT. After that, it's praying to sweet baby jesus that adcoms somewhere see something promising in you.

Splitters are often more common to use consulting services like MS9 to help with the application process, so that also might be a leg up against other splitters. It obviously isn't required, but if you're looking at maximizing your outcome, it's definitely something to look into. They do amazing work.

Yeah I think the fact that it's self-reported definitely makes it appear more favorable for splitters than it actually is. I always wanted to do the consulting thing, I just don't think I can afford that cost for what might be a negligible boost.

No. it means dj for prez

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

No. it means dj for prez

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

I like you

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:06 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

No. it means dj for prez

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

I like you

I like me too. :mrgreen:

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Thu May 18, 2017 2:08 pm

mwells56 wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
mwells56 wrote:About to take PT70.

On my last 4 PTs I've been in a steady decline of 171(PT45)-167(PT46)-166(PT76)-163(PT69). This was not a boost to my confidence.

This is all after coming off the academic high of getting my first 4.0 semester. No idea how my junior year ended up this well. Bumped by LSAC GPA from a 3.69 to a 3.75. Never thought I would be able to get it that high. Based on the classes I'm taking first semester next year I could go as high as a 3.77. Not tryna brag, just venting a 'lil.

I neeeeeeed this LSAT to go well. My original top-end goal was Columbia but with this GPA hike I'm starting to think Harvard might be a possibility. In the 7 tests I've taken since I started studying again in January I've only broken 170 twice (both 171's, PTs 42 and 45) and I've been averaging 167. I'm currently a Michigan undergrad and would love to stay here for law school and a 168ish is probably enough to get in but I'd at the very least like to have options on the higher end of the T14.

My biggest problem is consistency. On LG I go -0 or I can go -5. RC -3 or -9. LG is all over the place, could be -0 on one section and then -5 on the other. I know it's not a lack of understanding or ability at this point, I almost never get a question wrong that I don't understand what the right answer is and why. I'm just always making the dumb mistakes. If I get lucky I could get a 178. If I get unlucky I could get a 160. Frustrating.

Remaining tests are 70, 71, and 77-80. Hopefully that and whatever questions/sections I have remaining will be enough.

Sorry for the rant, just starting to feel the pressure.

Congrats on raising your gpa!

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I am shooting for Sep and haven't even hit the books yet! :lol:

Haha, thanks on both accounts. Currently in the 15 min break for my PT. Yeah, I started studying kinda on a whim sometime last June and took the 7sage course while I was abroad. I was working an 8:00-5:00 internship while living out of a hotel room with a roommate for two months and trying to study. Then when I got back I worked/studied until school started, drank for a week, then the semester started and it wasn't ideal. If you're in a situation where you can actually focus on the test for 3-4 months you'll probably do better than I did, lol.

After the September test I took the rest of the semester off and then got a tutor when I arrived on campus, he's been fantastic. So I guess it's been more of a slow burn for me but I'm hoping it works out.

Wow, so you're approaching a year of studying. I can't afford 7sage or a tutor right now, so it's looking like the Trainer and PS books for me. I took a Kaplan class last year but my heart wasn't in it.

Yup, I purposely quit my full time corporate legal assistant gig to be super poor and to truly focus on the LSAT for the first time in my life. I hope four months is enough! I have a 3.84, and my first choices are Stanford, Berkeley and Northwestern.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu May 18, 2017 2:16 pm

mwells56 wrote:About to take PT70.

On my last 4 PTs I've been in a steady decline of 171(PT45)-167(PT46)-166(PT76)-163(PT69). This was not a boost to my confidence.

This is all after coming off the academic high of getting my first 4.0 semester. No idea how my junior year ended up this well. Bumped by LSAC GPA from a 3.69 to a 3.75. Never thought I would be able to get it that high. Based on the classes I'm taking first semester next year I could go as high as a 3.77. Not tryna brag, just venting a 'lil.

I neeeeeeed this LSAT to go well. My original top-end goal was Columbia but with this GPA hike I'm starting to think Harvard might be a possibility. In the 7 tests I've taken since I started studying again in January I've only broken 170 twice (both 171's, PTs 42 and 45) and I've been averaging 167. I'm currently a Michigan undergrad and would love to stay here for law school and a 168ish is probably enough to get in but I'd at the very least like to have options on the higher end of the T14.

My biggest problem is consistency. On LG I go -0 or I can go -5. RC -3 or -9. LG is all over the place, could be -0 on one section and then -5 on the other. I know it's not a lack of understanding or ability at this point, I almost never get a question wrong that I don't understand what the right answer is and why. I'm just always making the dumb mistakes. If I get lucky I could get a 178. If I get unlucky I could get a 160. Frustrating.

Remaining tests are 70, 71, and 77-80. Hopefully that and whatever questions/sections I have remaining will be enough.

Sorry for the rant, just starting to feel the pressure.

Super weird
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu May 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Having a personal life doesn't seem worth it when I'm not consistently testing at 175+.

nevertheless she persisted.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 pm

chewinggum wrote:Having a personal life doesn't seem worth it when I'm not consistently testing at 175+.

what is a personal life? I work, gym, study and then pray daily to my Stanford shrine.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Thu May 18, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm browsing the 7sage website right now and feeling completely overwhelmed and broke! Feeling nauseous. Wish my Trainer would just come in the mail already. :(

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu May 18, 2017 2:39 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:Having a personal life doesn't seem worth it when I'm not consistently testing at 175+.

what is a personal life? I work, gym, study and then pray daily to my Stanford shrine.

Front row to see The Weeknd but only because you paid $250. I'd much rather be studying and not gyming.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:42 pm

chewinggum wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Front row to see The Weeknd but only because you paid $250. I'd much rather be studying and not gyming.

[+] Spoiler

Weeknd is dope, enjoy yourself while studying or you will burn out

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu May 18, 2017 2:46 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

I thought u were one of those Columbia boners

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu May 18, 2017 2:50 pm

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

That would be me. The female equivalent.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:51 pm

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

you have some interesting sayings.

CLS is cool but I have a problem with the clerkship rating. everything points to stanny I just need to get over the application hurdle.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Thu May 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Oh man I just took PT 71 and did it kill me.

I was doing well but then I got to the LR2.
I couldn't stop thinking about a comment my rude coworker made earlier in the day. I lost track, I couldn't focus on the passages, and I got -8 wrong.

-8 wrong!

I didn't even finish reading all the questions. With LR1 I got -2.
My next preptest is on Sunday. Hopefully, I make sure nothing gets in my mind, I focus, and I get a high score again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Score: 169

LR1; -2
LG: 0
LR2: -8 :( grr
RC: -6

I did pretty bad for RC too. I need to review and make sure what I got wrong. I also tend to run out of time with the last passage too. Maybe I need to drill RC more.

My average is 171 and my best is 169. Hopefully I score higher than 171 on the next PT.
Last edited by calmike on Thu May 18, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Postby CottonHarvest » Thu May 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Just decided to dedicate the next two weeks almost entirely to RC, hopefully it will lead to some improvements.

Also, how does the fee waiver system work? I hope to submit apps very quickly after September scores come out but want to avoid costs as much as possible. Are they based on numbers and automatically applied, do schools go through manually and select applicants, or do you have to request them?

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Thu May 18, 2017 3:23 pm

calmike wrote:Oh man I just took PT 71 and did it kill me.

I couldn't stop thinking about a comment my rude coworker made earlier in the day. I lost track, I couldn't focus on the passages, and I got -8 wrong.

-8 wrong!

My next preptest is on Sunday. Hopefully, I make sure nothing gets in my mind, I focus, and I get a high score again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LR1; -2

I did pretty bad for RC too. I need to review and make sure what I got wrong. I also tend to run out of time with the last passage too. Maybe I need to drill RC more.

My average is 171 and my best is 169. Hopefully I score higher than 171 on the next PT.

169 ... still amazing. I'm sure you'll do even better at the rate you're going.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Thu May 18, 2017 3:24 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:Just decided to dedicate the next two weeks almost entirely to RC, hopefully it will lead to some improvements.

Also, how does the fee waiver system work? I hope to submit apps very quickly after September scores come out but want to avoid costs as much as possible. Are they based on numbers and automatically applied, do schools go through manually and select applicants, or do you have to request them?

Would also like to know more about fee waivers! :)

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Thu May 18, 2017 3:24 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:Just decided to dedicate the next two weeks almost entirely to RC, hopefully it will lead to some improvements.

There's aid based and merit based. The merit ones are granted based on GPA or lsat. If you don’t get one you can reach out to the schools and basically say “hey I got good stats and I’m interested in your school – can I have a merit based application waiver?” and they will say yes/no.

Aid based are harder to come by and is a formal application through LSAC. You have to be very poor to qualify for that. Like near poverty line I believe. There are guides on other sections of this board that has more/better details though.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu May 18, 2017 3:26 pm

in my last lecture of UG

this is too much to handle rn

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu May 18, 2017 3:57 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

you have some interesting sayings.

CLS is cool but I have a problem with the clerkship rating. everything points to stanny I just need to get over the application hurdle.

Stanny is another animal. It's still my dream school, but I'm contempt with Tejas

calmike wrote:Oh man I just took PT 71 and did it kill me.

-8 wrong!

LR1; -2

niceee
Last edited by PrezRand on Thu May 18, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 4:01 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

No. it means dj for prez

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

I like you

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:08 pm

PrezRand wrote:Stanny is another animal. It's still my dream school, but I'm contempt with Tejas

S is a paradox, not Yale level but it is hard. Fucks sake they accepted a 3.2 a few years ago according to their stats. I think they value softs and PS more than Y.

UT has meh clerk numbers, i won't write it off 100% but lit boutique is a goal and they almost always require clerkship. Plus it makes it a bit easier to exit BL

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu May 18, 2017 4:17 pm

dj9i27 wrote:S is a paradox

so resolve it..

sorry, I'll see myself out in a sufficient manner..

sorry

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm just gonna forget about S because it's not happening.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?