The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

hushpuppy

New

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Okay, that is definitely reasonable. I'll buy it at the end of the month!

So then by having the 120 package, plus the PS books, PLUS the Trainer, in addition to the preptests, is there a way to seamlessly integrate all of the resources without feeling overwhelmed? I've seen glimpses of some study structures around TLS, maybe I'll have to meander back that way. I just don't want to lose focus. :oops:

to that I can't give advice, since I never used a book for any of the sections. everyone who uses 7sage though says 7sage is good enough to help you getting a good score. but I have heard great things about the trainer, and of course the PS LG book is talked about in a good way. you can def incorporate all of them to fit in a schedule, you just have to be efficient with it. maybe someone else can chime in with this since I never really used that many resources.

Yeah, thank you. I hope the Trainer can sort of be my overall guide, and then I can incorporate the PS books into each section ... As for 7sage, not quite sure what to do there. :P Hehe.

I feel like I have a ton of work ahead of me ... but don't we all!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 pm

dj9i27 wrote:You never did the LRB or LGB?

nope. always just drilled and watched 7sage videos

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 1:21 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

So then by having the 120 package, plus the PS books, PLUS the Trainer, in addition to the preptests, is there a way to seamlessly integrate all of the resources without feeling overwhelmed? I've seen glimpses of some study structures around TLS, maybe I'll have to meander back that way. I just don't want to lose focus. :oops:

to that I can't give advice, since I never used a book for any of the sections. everyone who uses 7sage though says 7sage is good enough to help you getting a good score. but I have heard great things about the trainer, and of course the PS LG book is talked about in a good way. you can def incorporate all of them to fit in a schedule, you just have to be efficient with it. maybe someone else can chime in with this since I never really used that many resources.

Yeah, thank you. I hope the Trainer can sort of be my overall guide, and then I can incorporate the PS books into each section ... As for 7sage, not quite sure what to do there. :P Hehe.

7sage's curriculum really is great. they have lessons for everything on the LSAT and you can see what the strategies and reasonings are that J.Y (the creator) uses. I think 7sage is amazing, and I know many others on here can vouch for them too! the trainer, from what I've heard, is great as a start to prep because it goes over everything generally, so that's good

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Mikey wrote:

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

7sage's curriculum really is great. they have lessons for everything on the LSAT and you can see what the strategies and reasonings are that J.Y (the creator) uses. I think 7sage is amazing, and I know many others on here can vouch for them too! the trainer, from what I've heard, is great as a start to prep because it goes over everything generally, so that's good

Alright, awesome. Maybe after Trainer and PS for a month I'll incorporate the 7sage ... Everyone on here is amazing, haha. I already feel more motivated. Thanks for all your feedback. :mrgreen:

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

what's the surprise lol

learned LR by just mostly drilling and also watching 7sage vids
learned LG by watching the free 7sage vids on youtube
and RC is still shitty but I learned strats from 7sage resources

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

what's the surprise lol

learned LR by just mostly drilling and also watching 7sage vids
learned LG by watching the free 7sage vids on youtube
and RC is still shitty but I learned strats from 7sage resources

just sorta rare but if it works it works. i was under the impression everyone must read the LGB to get on tls.

Did you pay for 7sage?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 1:31 pm

dj9i27 wrote:just sorta rare but if it works it works. i was under the impression everyone must read the LGB to get on tls.

Did you pay for 7sage?

really? I thought there were actually people who just learned from practicing like me... lol. yeah I did pay for 7sage. I had upgraded my package not too long ago to include and admissions pack thingy as well as more materials/explanations.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 17, 2017 1:58 pm

I think it depends how much of an audio-visual learner you are vs. someone who learns best by reading and writing.
I'm definitely the latter, so I found books much more helpful than 7sage.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Alexandros wrote:I think it depends how much of an audio-visual learner you are vs. someone who learns best by reading and writing.

I don't even know what I am, lol. I'll probably end up doing both. :|

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Almost 85 out, not humid at all, yet I'm sat here doing linear algebra. :cry:

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 17, 2017 2:04 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Alexandros wrote:I think it depends how much of an audio-visual learner you are vs. someone who learns best by reading and writing.

Like - Do you learn better by watching lectures or by reading books?

I watched a few of the videos for games I struggled on and found them helpful, but I learn by reading and writing/doing, not by watching someone explain something, so I think I would have struggled trying to learn only using that medium. I also hate using the computer for things like that. I also don't find explanations particularly helpful - which I think is one thing 7sage is really great for - since I learn better if I figure it out myself.

If you're not sure, I'd say try out the books first, because they're cheaper. (or both, that obviously works too.)

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Alexandros wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

I watched a few of the videos for games I struggled on and found them helpful, but I learn by reading and writing/doing, not by watching someone explain something, so I think I would have struggled trying to learn only using that medium. I also hate using the computer for things like that. I also don't find explanations particularly helpful - which I think is one thing 7sage is really great for - since I learn better if I figure it out myself.

If you're not sure, I'd say try out the books first, because they're cheaper. (or both, that obviously works too.)

Yeah, totally. At UCLA I think I learned best by reading the material on my own, and THEN hearing/see it in lecture. Like the lecture was always most effective once I was already familiar with the concepts, not the other way around.

So yes, I'll definitely hit the books first, which I now own already, and then supplement my reading with the audio/visual (and hopefully free or inexpensive) resources online.
:P

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 17, 2017 2:14 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

Yeah, totally. At UCLA I think I learned best by reading the material on my own, and THEN hearing/see it in lecture. Like the lecture was always most effective once I was already familiar with the concepts, not the other way around.

So yes, I'll definitely hit the books first, which I now own already, and then supplement my reading with the audio/visual (and hopefully free or inexpensive) resources online.

Sounds like you've got a good plan!

Definitely check out the free 7sage videos for LG - If you find them really helpful to learn from, I think that's an indication that investing in 7sage would be worthwhile for you.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 17, 2017 2:19 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

I think you can integrate the trainer, 7sage, and bibles/manhattan books fairly easily. I would do the trainer first, once you finish jump into 7sage's curriculum, and then after that start working on specific question types. When you run into difficulty with a given type, supplement that question type with the bibles or manhattan book for much deeper details.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Alexandros wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

Sounds like you've got a good plan!

Definitely check out the free 7sage videos for LG - If you find them really helpful to learn from, I think that's an indication that investing in 7sage would be worthwhile for you.

Definitely will do! Actually sort of excited to check it all out. :mrgreen:

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 2:29 pm

TWiiX wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

I think you can integrate the trainer, 7sage, and bibles/manhattan books fairly easily. I would do the trainer first, once you finish jump into 7sage's curriculum, and then after that start working on specific question types. When you run into difficulty with a given type, supplement that question type with the bibles or manhattan book for much deeper details.

That sounds like a good strategy. I like the idea of starting with the Trainer because it does seem to cover every part of the exam pretty thoroughly, versus the PS books being totally separate.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Wed May 17, 2017 2:30 pm

TWiiX wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

This is what I was thinking of doing as well. I was just going to study the books until three months out and then get the base $179 package. Is upgrading to one of the more expensive options worth it? Also I'm starting my prep going through the Trainer and am finding it quite helpful right now so I tentatively endorse it as the starting point.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 2:33 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

This is what I was thinking of doing as well. I was just going to study the books until three months out and then get the base $179 package. Is upgrading to one of the more expensive options worth it? Also I'm starting my prep going through the Trainer and am finding it quite helpful right now so I tentatively endorse it as the starting point.

That's great to hear. When did you start?

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 17, 2017 2:37 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

Well, their starter course is basically a continuation on the content in the bibles and the trainer.. 3 months for all of that content PLUS more time for 7sage curriculum might be too long. YOu'll want to start working on drilling and sections probably before then.. so maybe aim to have 7sage's curriculum done within that 3 month window as well? Unless you plan to start drilling/sectioning before doing 7sage, then that could work.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Wed May 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Is the 7sage package like a class?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 2:51 pm

PrezRand wrote:Is the 7sage package like a class?

kind of. it's just pre-recorded videos of every question on the LSAT but regarding the curriculum, they put apart question types and stuff and do lessons on it then do questions to show you how you should approach them

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Mikey wrote:

kind of. it's just pre-recorded videos of every question on the LSAT but regarding the curriculum, they put apart question types and stuff and do lessons on it then do questions to show you how you should approach them

Yeah, self guided class I would say. They have a ton of "chapters", each chapter being a different skill on the test. Some are underlying abilities like logic and grammar comprehension (they do the best job of anywhere explaining necessary and sufficient conditions, how to analyze them, and how to use them). They also have lessons for each question type in LR, where they give you an example problem, explain the underlying comprehension required to understand it, and strategies on how to solve it. Then they have practice problems, quizzes, flashcards, etc to supplement the curriculum.

It's honestly incredibly useful.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 2:56 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Yeah, self guided class I would say. They have a ton of "chapters", each chapter being a different skill on the test. Some are underlying abilities like logic and grammar comprehension (they do the best job of anywhere explaining necessary and sufficient conditions, how to analyze them, and how to use them). They also have lessons for each question type in LR, where they give you an example problem, explain the underlying comprehension required to understand it, and strategies on how to solve it. Then they have practice problems, quizzes, flashcards, etc to supplement the curriculum.

yup! whenever I feel like I'm slipping on a skill I just go back and look at their lesson for it!

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:03 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Mikey wrote:

So true. I'm actually redoing the curriculum a second time along with drilling and find that concepts I had learned the first time around but was unsure of in practice are now being ingrained in my head.

Also, redrilling the flashcards and reviewing the drills is EXTREMELY helpful. I highly recommend 7Sage :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?