The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 10:42 am

I just want a 168+....

but knowing myself, I'd want to break the 170 barrier lmao.

really hope schools won't have to end up averaging scores or taking them all into consideration... if so, I might as well kiss top schools good bye for last year me being stupid on my first 2 takes

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:43 am

chewinggum wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:damn, sub 3 is rare with money. STANNY HOPE PLEASE.

not really, but the weird games trip me up something fierce. Figured I can alleviate it with lots of books. RC is my most inconsistent section by far.

I want a 180 so bad, I read NoodleOne, PP. and other 180 guides on a consistent basis.

Same. RC is annoying for me mostly because of time. If it was 2 singles and 2 comparative life would be so much easier and my skin would be clear.

How long have you been studying?

humanities passages bore the hell out of me, especially poetry.

Def not a year, nope haven't postponed once and super missed my mark last September

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:43 am

Mikey wrote:I just want a 168+....

really hope schools won't have to end up averaging scores or taking them all into consideration... if so, I might as well kiss top schools good bye for last year me being stupid on my first 2 takes

averaging would be dumb, no one else does that.

Also you gave a good GPA nerd.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 10:47 am

dj9i27 wrote:

GPA most likely to go down once I'm done w this semester. I kinda stopped caring early in the semester, we will see but I'm still predicting that I graduate wit a low 3.7 or high 3.6 which is perfectly fine with me, idc anymore.

there's only so much a GPA can do for me tho if they take into consideration my TTT scores from my 2 takes

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:49 am

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

GPA most likely to go down once I'm done w this semester. I kinda stopped caring early in the semester, we will see but I'm still predicting that I graduate wit a low 3.7 or high 3.6 which is perfectly fine with me, idc anymore.

there's only so much a GPA can do for me tho if they take into consideration my TTT scores from my 2 takes

id still trade with you.

My 1st take sucked too, but retake exist and now you can just spam them lol

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 10:53 am

dj9i27 wrote:id still trade with you.

if I would've known this before postponing to September from June, I would've taken it in June because I know I can do well... it's just a matter of not slipping up is all, but that's why I wanted to give myself more time for my "last take" in sept :lol: :lol:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 am

Mikey wrote:

if I would've known this before postponing to September from June, I would've taken it in June because I know I can do well... it's just a matter of not slipping up is all, but that's why I wanted to give myself more time for my "last take" in sept :lol: :lol:

Fucking same, I just would have roughed it and probably got like 168 then applied in September. Whatever I don't really feel too much pressure now.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 10:59 am

presidentspivey wrote:Howdy folks, I'm back after a lengthy absence. Studying has started in earnest, currently working through the Trainer. Preptests and Manny books are on the way. I picked no rush shipping because they gave me a $10 prime now coupon, which I used on Oreos and Cheez its. Are the extra video explanations and expanded question bank worth paying more for one of the more expensive 7sage options?

Hey there! I only have the Power Score books. What's this "Trainer" you speak of? :shock:

I have the PS books, should I ALSO buy the Manny books?

And yay for Oreos and Cheez Its!

* Edit: Just tracked down the Trainer and bought it. Also bought some preptests. Forgot how quickly the books add up. I'll skip the Manny books for now.
Last edited by hushpuppy on Wed May 17, 2017 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:02 am

Mikey wrote:

How many times have you taken the LSAT? I'm sure you will do an amazing job. You seem super dedicated!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 am

hushpuppy wrote:
Mikey wrote:

How many times have you taken the LSAT? I'm sure you will do an amazing job. You seem super dedicated!

twice.

first time was a mistake, I was way underprepared and also freaked out during the test.
second time, I was much calmer and prepared way more but didn't get a score I liked

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 11:34 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Fucking same, I just would have roughed it and probably got like 168 then applied in September. Whatever I don't really feel too much pressure now.

yeah less pressure for sure.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 am

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Mikey wrote:

twice.

first time was a mistake, I was way underprepared and also freaked out during the test.
second time, I was much calmer and prepared way more but didn't get a score I liked

Got it. I also worry about panicking during the test because I freaked out during both my diagnostic and first practice test I took (both a year ago). But what I've read from this forum so far, it's best to practice the skills until they become "second nature."

Good for you for trying again. That's awesome.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:42 am

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Mikey wrote:

twice.

I also mistakenly took the LSAT underprepared my first time and it came back to bite me

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 am

hushpuppy wrote:
Got it. I also worry about panicking during the test because I freaked out during both my diagnostic and first practice test I took (both a year ago). But what I've read from this forum so far, it's best to practice the skills until they become "second nature."

yeah I get you, def practice until it is second nature. I used to get nervous for PTs in the beginning but you get used to it and eventually the worry feeling fades.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:59 am

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

yeah I get you, def practice until it is second nature. I used to get nervous for PTs in the beginning but you get used to it and eventually the worry feeling fades.

Definitely. My prep "officially" began yesterday, and before then I had no clue how often people take PTs. I thought it was one every few weeks, sort of like how they do in LSAT courses, but now I'm reading it's generally 1-3 weekly! I definitely hope the nerves fade sooner or later once I get the hang of the test.

What's the best method to "self time" the sections? Just a classic stop watch/smart phone?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 12:14 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Definitely. My prep "officially" began yesterday, and before then I had no clue how often people take PTs. I thought it was one every few weeks, sort of like how they do in LSAT courses, but now I'm reading it's generally 1-3 weekly! I definitely hope the nerves fade sooner or later once I get the hang of the test.

What's the best method to "self time" the sections? Just a classic stop watch/smart phone?

they will fade, trust me! lol. I never had anxiety/nerves when doing drills but whenever it was a PT, I would just mess up a ton because I felt nervous. If I take a PT now, it doesn't really happen at all, but I still get slightly nervous on RC since it is my weakest section but not as bad as before. So if I can get through it, you can!

there's the 7sage app that has a proctor on it, it's really good and I've used it and I know quite a few others on here have as well.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 12:28 pm

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

they will fade, trust me! lol. I never had anxiety/nerves when doing drills but whenever it was a PT, I would just mess up a ton because I felt nervous. If I take a PT now, it doesn't really happen at all, but I still get slightly nervous on RC since it is my weakest section but not as bad as before. So if I can get through it, you can!

there's the 7sage app that has a proctor on it, it's really good and I've used it and I know quite a few others on here have as well.

Fantastic, I'll check out 7sage. Sounds like some of their resources are free?

Great to hear that your nerves have faded over time. I really need to start drilling and get out of my head! Just ordered the Trainer and ten prep tests, so I hope to have a set study schedule in place once those arrive. In the mean time I should probably take another diagnostic (eek).

Are you feeling prepared for Sep?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 12:31 pm

hushpuppy wrote:

Great to hear that your nerves have faded over time. I really need to start drilling and get out of my head! Just ordered the Trainer and ten prep tests, so I hope to have a set study schedule in place once those arrive. In the mean time I should probably take another diagnostic (eek).

yeah some of 7sage's stuff is free. I have the max course package though and love them!

I would say to hold off on that new diagnostic.. essentially, they are kind of useless and are probably a waste of a PT tbh. just learn everything and then start to PT.

I feel good about September, but I just wanted to do more PTs before taking the LSAT again which is why I postponed to sept instead of June :)

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

yeah some of 7sage's stuff is free. I have the max course package though and love them!

I would say to hold off on that new diagnostic.. essentially, they are kind of useless and are probably a waste of a PT tbh. just learn everything and then start to PT.

I feel good about September, but I just wanted to do more PTs before taking the LSAT again which is why I postponed to sept instead of June :)

OK, I'll skip the first diagnostic and take my first PT after a week of studying.

How much is the max course package?

Sounds like a good plan. I really want to be prepared by Sep. I don't want to wait another year!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 12:54 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
OK, I'll skip the first diagnostic and take my first PT after a week of studying.

Sounds like a good plan. I really want to be prepared by Sep. I don't want to wait another year!

don't take it after a week of studying either. study as much as you can by doing lessons and drills, then when you feel ready to PT, you PT. learn all of the basics and techniques first, you don't want to waste fresh PTs!

their max package is.. I don't remember exactly but I'm gonna say around $700.

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

don't take it after a week of studying either. study as much as you can by doing lessons and drills, then when you feel ready to PT, you PT. learn all of the basics and techniques first, you don't want to waste fresh PTs!

Okay. I understand!

Buh. I definitely can't afford that right now. Just paid off all my credit card debt and quit my fill time legal assistant job to study. :shock:

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 1:00 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

Okay. I understand!

Buh. I definitely can't afford that right now. Just paid off all my credit card debt and quit my fill time legal assistant job to study. :shock:

they have a starter course which is like 120 bucks and it has the exact same core curriculum as any other package. I say it's definitely worth it. you just get additional things (more practice questions in question bank, more access to recent PTs, etc) with the higher priced packages. I definitely recommend at least the 120 or so bucks package since the curriculum is the same and is great!

hushpuppy

New

Postby hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

Okay. I understand!

they have a starter course which is like 120 bucks and it has the exact same core curriculum as any other package. I say it's definitely worth it. you just get additional things (more practice questions in question bank, more access to recent PTs, etc) with the higher priced packages. I definitely recommend at least the 120 or so bucks package since the curriculum is the same and is great!

Okay, that is definitely reasonable. I'll buy it at the end of the month!

So then by having the 120 package, plus the PS books, PLUS the Trainer, in addition to the preptests, is there a way to seamlessly integrate all of the resources without feeling overwhelmed? I've seen glimpses of some study structures around TLS, maybe I'll have to meander back that way. I just don't want to lose focus. :oops:

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 17, 2017 1:11 pm

hushpuppy wrote:

So then by having the 120 package, plus the PS books, PLUS the Trainer, in addition to the preptests, is there a way to seamlessly integrate all of the resources without feeling overwhelmed? I've seen glimpses of some study structures around TLS, maybe I'll have to meander back that way. I just don't want to lose focus. :oops:

to that I can't give advice, since I never used a book for any of the sections. everyone who uses 7sage though says 7sage is good enough to help you getting a good score. but I have heard great things about the trainer, and of course the PS LG book is talked about in a good way. you can def incorporate all of them to fit in a schedule, you just have to be efficient with it. maybe someone else can chime in with this since I never really used that many resources.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Mikey wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

to that I can't give advice, since I never used a book for any of the sections. everyone who uses 7sage though says 7sage is good enough to help you getting a good score. but I have heard great things about the trainer, and of course the PS LG book is talked about in a good way. you can def incorporate all of them to fit in a schedule, you just have to be efficient with it. maybe someone else can chime in with this since I never really used that many resources.

You never did the LRB or LGB?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?