The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
20
43%
Yeah, kind of
8
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
7
15%
Not prepared but screw it
3
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
9
19%
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon May 15, 2017 1:00 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jebbush2k16

Gimme dat Columbia $$


I'd be so pumped with that cycle

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 15, 2017 1:10 am

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oopsu812

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:14 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jebbush2k16

Gimme dat Columbia $$


I'd be so pumped with that cycle

I wish I could get a paralegal gig for a bit before LS. :cry:

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Mon May 15, 2017 2:16 am

These past 72 hours have been the worst days of my life. I miss the stench of my fraternity house. I cant live with my parents. I will shoot myself. I regret taking a gap year before ls already

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 am

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jebbush2k16

please clap.
It's weird, my +/-.2 numbers twins either get close to full or sticker. might as well get a 180 so I've got that base covered.

I woke up at 630 and went to bed at 330, I'm not doing anything today lol.

User avatar
littlelibertine

Bronze
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:25 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby littlelibertine » Mon May 15, 2017 9:20 am

oopsu812 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jebbush2k16

Gimme dat Columbia $$


I'd be so pumped with that cycle

I wish I could get a paralegal gig for a bit before LS. :cry:


I've been doing it for six years. Hope it helps. *fingers crossed*

It's not litigation paralegal at an NPO, but I have written some grants for NPOs that got funded between UG and now.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 am

PrezRand wrote:These past 72 hours have been the worst days of my life. I miss the stench of my fraternity house. I cant live with my parents. I will shoot myself. I regret taking a gap year before ls already

I still have 1 week of classes :?

Get a job and move out then bro. But honestly I'd say just stick it out at home for your gap year and save money instead of spending it on rent.

User avatar
littlelibertine

Bronze
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:25 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby littlelibertine » Mon May 15, 2017 10:03 am

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:These past 72 hours have been the worst days of my life. I miss the stench of my fraternity house. I cant live with my parents. I will shoot myself. I regret taking a gap year before ls already

I still have 1 week of classes :?

Get a job and move out then bro. But honestly I'd say just stick it out at home for your gap year and save money instead of spending it on rent.


Same. Stick it out and use the time you'd be working to study. Do some kind of work/volunteer work, but do it part-time.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:59 am

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:These past 72 hours have been the worst days of my life. I miss the stench of my fraternity house. I cant live with my parents. I will shoot myself. I regret taking a gap year before ls already

I still have 1 week of classes :?

Get a job and move out then bro. But honestly I'd say just stick it out at home for your gap year and save money instead of spending it on rent.

sticking at home drove me up a fucking wall. Given FT work sucks I just couldn't bear living there longer.

User avatar
chewinggum

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chewinggum » Mon May 15, 2017 11:17 am

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:These past 72 hours have been the worst days of my life. I miss the stench of my fraternity house. I cant live with my parents. I will shoot myself. I regret taking a gap year before ls already

I still have 1 week of classes :?

Get a job and move out then bro. But honestly I'd say just stick it out at home for your gap year and save money instead of spending it on rent.


I agree (if you can). I'd much rather be living at home than paying NoVA rent prices.

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby 34iplaw » Mon May 15, 2017 11:58 am

clueless801 wrote:People who spend 8-10 hours per day each weekend - tips to get through the day? I'm about done with Hour 4 and it's the need to understand specific LR types that's motivating me but not much else. Help.


I'm just catching up. Avoiding hotel checkout and the Austin heat. Apologies if it's been addressed later in thread...

Close your books and walk away for 30 minutes. I haven't been studying LSAT recently, but I did really long days before September. There is a point you just are spinning your wheels, and it does not help. That sounds like that point. 4 engaged hours >>> 10 passive/disinterested/unmotivated hours.

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby 34iplaw » Mon May 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Also, I'm fairly sure the digital LSAT is not disclosed and I do not think we receive an actual score out of 180. I think we just get the questions we missed per section and it seems like they are offering a new more detailed breakdown - I.e. The type of questions you miss?

If it's disclosed though, that would be awesome, but I doubt they will unless it's a previous undisclosed administration which would possibly make sense given their goal to equate it.

Granted, I'm super skeptical that curving the test would give an accurate picture of anything. People who sign up for a test that is a) on a Saturday b) not representative of the actual administration in some ways and, most importantly, c) not actually counted for anything is not the same group of people who take the LSAT.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon May 15, 2017 12:19 pm

34iplaw wrote:
clueless801 wrote:People who spend 8-10 hours per day each weekend - tips to get through the day? I'm about done with Hour 4 and it's the need to understand specific LR types that's motivating me but not much else. Help.


I'm just catching up. Avoiding hotel checkout and the Austin heat. Apologies if it's been addressed later in thread...

Close your books and walk away for 30 minutes. I haven't been studying LSAT recently, but I did really long days before September. There is a point you just are spinning your wheels, and it does not help. That sounds like that point. 4 engaged hours >>> 10 passive/disinterested/unmotivated hours.


Well said

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon May 15, 2017 12:30 pm

34iplaw wrote:Also, I'm fairly sure the digital LSAT is not disclosed and I do not think we receive an actual score out of 180. I think we just get the questions we missed per section and it seems like they are offering a new more detailed breakdown - I.e. The type of questions you miss?

If it's disclosed though, that would be awesome, but I doubt they will unless it's a previous undisclosed administration which would possibly make sense given their goal to equate it.

Granted, I'm super skeptical that curving the test would give an accurate picture of anything. People who sign up for a test that is a) on a Saturday b) not representative of the actual administration in some ways and, most importantly, c) not actually counted for anything is not the same group of people who take the LSAT.


From what I understand, LSAT curves are made before anyone actually takes the test, based on their perceived difficulty of the test. It's not curved based on scores.

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby 34iplaw » Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Also, I'm fairly sure the digital LSAT is not disclosed and I do not think we receive an actual score out of 180. I think we just get the questions we missed per section and it seems like they are offering a new more detailed breakdown - I.e. The type of questions you miss?

If it's disclosed though, that would be awesome, but I doubt they will unless it's a previous undisclosed administration which would possibly make sense given their goal to equate it.

Granted, I'm super skeptical that curving the test would give an accurate picture of anything. People who sign up for a test that is a) on a Saturday b) not representative of the actual administration in some ways and, most importantly, c) not actually counted for anything is not the same group of people who take the LSAT.


From what I understand, LSAT curves are made before anyone actually takes the test, based on their perceived difficulty of the test. It's not curved based on scores.


You're correct - I forgot about that when writing that. I imagine they would adjust the curve though if there were 0x 180s or 100x 180s, but I think all questions are pretty much thoroughly tested through undisclosed tests and experimental sections so that probably is fairly rare (or non-existent). Either way, I may have misread or been confused by the ambiguity from this page (http://digitallsat.lsac.org/pages/faq.aspx) ...

If you take the Digital LSAT Pilot Test, you will not receive a score. You will receive a performance report that will detail the total number of questions you answered correctly, as well as the total number answered correctly for each of the question types in the test.
Digital LSAT Pilot Test results are not LSAT scores and will not be transmitted to
law schools.

To me, that reads like you receive no score. Otherwise, it should be worded as you will receive a score but it cannot be sent to or used to apply to schools.

As an aside, I find the bolded super interesting.

Although you will not receive a disclosure booklet of the test questions, your performance report will list the total number of questions you answered correctly, the number answered correctly for each of the three LSAT question types (Analytical Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehension), and the number answered correctly for each of several skill areas within each LSAT question type. Your performance report will also contain brief descriptions of all of these skill areas. This information may help you to focus on skill areas that need extra attention and may indicate areas where you already do well.

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon May 15, 2017 1:06 pm

34iplaw wrote:
You're correct - I forgot about that when writing that. I imagine they would adjust the curve though if there were 0x 180s or 100x 180s, but I think all questions are pretty much thoroughly tested through undisclosed tests and experimental sections so that probably is fairly rare (or non-existent). Either way, I may have misread or been confused by the ambiguity from this page (http://digitallsat.lsac.org/pages/faq.aspx) ...

If you take the Digital LSAT Pilot Test, you will not receive a score. You will receive a performance report that will detail the total number of questions you answered correctly, as well as the total number answered correctly for each of the question types in the test.
Digital LSAT Pilot Test results are not LSAT scores and will not be transmitted to
law schools.

To me, that reads like you receive no score. Otherwise, it should be worded as you will receive a score but it cannot be sent to or used to apply to schools.

As an aside, I find the bolded super interesting.

Although you will not receive a disclosure booklet of the test questions, your performance report will list the total number of questions you answered correctly, the number answered correctly for each of the three LSAT question types (Analytical Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehension), and the number answered correctly for each of several skill areas within each LSAT question type. Your performance report will also contain brief descriptions of all of these skill areas. This information may help you to focus on skill areas that need extra attention and may indicate areas where you already do well.


I like that they'll do the performance report, it won't help me with the June exam but if I end up retaking (probably) I can definitely make some use out of it. However, I do wish we got a score, it's always nice to see it. I mean you can calculate a range based on how many you missed but it's not the same haha.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 pm

When your LoR writers have had 0 contact for almost a month
[+] Spoiler
Image

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon May 15, 2017 1:39 pm

dj9i27 wrote:When your LoR writers have had 0 contact for almost a month
[+] Spoiler
Image

I have a LOR writer who said she would do it.. almost a year ago.. lol I've contacted her but nothing. I gave up and just got someone else

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon May 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:When your LoR writers have had 0 contact for almost a month
[+] Spoiler
Image

I have a LOR writer who said she would do it.. almost a year ago.. lol I've contacted her but nothing. I gave up and just got someone else


I'm super worried about this stuff, my LOR options are limited anyway, if they flake I could be totally screwed.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:When your LoR writers have had 0 contact for almost a month
[+] Spoiler
Image

I have a LOR writer who said she would do it.. almost a year ago.. lol I've contacted her but nothing. I gave up and just got someone else

totally going to office hours next week, I need my ducks in a row. I've got a failsafe or two but they are both ? at the moment

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:When your LoR writers have had 0 contact for almost a month
[+] Spoiler
Image

I have a LOR writer who said she would do it.. almost a year ago.. lol I've contacted her but nothing. I gave up and just got someone else


I'm super worried about this stuff, my LOR options are limited anyway, if they flake I could be totally screwed.

aren't you a old man like me too? I've heard going in person is the way to go 1/3 have been like that tho

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon May 15, 2017 1:45 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:When your LoR writers have had 0 contact for almost a month
[+] Spoiler
Image

I have a LOR writer who said she would do it.. almost a year ago.. lol I've contacted her but nothing. I gave up and just got someone else


I'm super worried about this stuff, my LOR options are limited anyway, if they flake I could be totally screwed.

aren't you a old man like me too? I've heard going in person is the way to go 1/3 have been like that tho


I graduated in 2014, so it's been a while. How does the going in person work though? Lol, I'm assuming you schedule a time to visit them, and I can see that becoming an awkward situation if they don't really remember you. I'm also wondering if a professor from a huge class would be willing to do an LOR, I took a class I really enjoyed but there were probably 250 students in it.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:47 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:When your LoR writers have had 0 contact for almost a month
[+] Spoiler
Image

I have a LOR writer who said she would do it.. almost a year ago.. lol I've contacted her but nothing. I gave up and just got someone else


I'm super worried about this stuff, my LOR options are limited anyway, if they flake I could be totally screwed.

aren't you a old man like me too? I've heard going in person is the way to go 1/3 have been like that tho


I graduated in 2014, so it's been a while. How does the going in person work though? Lol, I'm assuming you schedule a time to visit them, and I can see that becoming an awkward situation if they don't really remember you. I'm also wondering if a professor from a huge class would be willing to do an LOR, I took a class I really enjoyed but there were probably 250 students in it.

office hours and come in hat in hand recognizing they may not remember you. And the large professor probably will if you convey yourself positively, I'm a little greener than you and the ones who accepted were more than willing but I've had some hard "no, get out" as well.

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon May 15, 2017 1:51 pm

dj9i27 wrote:office hours and come in hat in hand recognizing they may not remember you. And the large professor probably will if you convey yourself positively, I'm a little greener than you and the ones who accepted were more than willing but I've had some hard "no, get out" as well.


I know at least one who I'm pretty sure will do it, and I'm also pretty sure I can get one or two professional ones, so I'll probably be ok, but there's also a chance of messing it all up too lol.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:53 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:office hours and come in hat in hand recognizing they may not remember you. And the large professor probably will if you convey yourself positively, I'm a little greener than you and the ones who accepted were more than willing but I've had some hard "no, get out" as well.


I know at least one who I'm pretty sure will do it, and I'm also pretty sure I can get one or two professional ones, so I'll probably be ok, but there's also a chance of messing it all up too lol.

ive got one already so technically I only need 2 more (which I thought I had). I want to drift away from professional since Stanny <3 academic LOR.

Asking irl is a lot harder for them to deny you. well mostly



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aryeh630 and 10 guests