The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

oopsu812

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:00 pm

chargers21 wrote:holy shit, then how do people estimate taking out 50k in loans on top of that??? Hyde Park is not that expensive, a 2 br apartment in a nice area is ~~2000 all said and done. Where is all of this money going to?!?

OP2 knew they wouldn't need $50k in loans. They fudged the number purposely to try to justify H, lol.

it's allgood

Bronze

Postby it's allgood » Thu May 11, 2017 5:08 pm

chargers21 wrote:What's the rubenstein total value? I need a better idea of what these people are turning down

that poster did not actually get a ruby--

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu May 11, 2017 5:09 pm

I may see if I can write a script to nuke post history. Anyone interested? Haha

@Alex. My mistake. I can always get rowdy on southwest on my way back.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:15 pm

34iplaw wrote:I may see if I can write a script to nuke post history. Anyone interested? Haha

yes

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:16 pm

34iplaw wrote:I may see if I can write a script to nuke post history. Anyone interested? Haha

Very

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:16 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

yes

+1

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:18 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:holy shit, then how do people estimate taking out 50k in loans on top of that??? Hyde Park is not that expensive, a 2 br apartment in a nice area is ~~2000 all said and done. Where is all of this money going to?!?

OP2 knew they wouldn't need $50k in loans. They fudged the number purposely to try to justify H, lol.

I would say that with the 15k and summer job/allowance debt would be close to non existent even for PI, for me at least

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:21 pm

it's allgood wrote:
chargers21 wrote:What's the rubenstein total value? I need a better idea of what these people are turning down

I know OP didn't and changed their post to indicate such.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:22 pm

chargers21 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

I would say that with the 15k and summer job/allowance debt would be close to non existent even for PI, for me at least

Also, 5k summer PI stipend.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu May 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Will look into it. Can't view source code on iPhone... should be fairly straight forward I think.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:24 pm

it's allgood wrote:

The OP didn't, but another poster took over the thread, "OP2." They did get a Ruby.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/HonestlyThough <--- OP2.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 11, 2017 5:32 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
it's allgood wrote:

The OP didn't, but another poster took over the thread, "OP2." They did get a Ruby.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/HonestlyThough <--- OP2.

Idk what people expect tbh. Also, if they've already made their decision and are just going to argue for that decision why the fuck are the posting? and I mean it's TLS for chrissake - it's damn predictable what people are going to say, and obviously some of the responses aren't going to be that tactful (although the people in that thread were very respectful and patient all things considered).

also LOL at "what law schools do you guys go to" when almost everyone responding to that person was well out of LS.
and then they go and resort to personal attacks towards the people who know shit that are trying to help them.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu May 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:The thread that shall not be named is the WORST. Jeeeeesus.

?

The Ruby one I've been bitching about for days. Don't want to beat a dead horse but it gets worse and worse every single day.

I assumed you were referring to every single thread in the lounge.
Honestly, people should just admit that they want H because it's their dream school and it makes them feel cool and prestigious.

Could see why someone would take HYS (or even Columbia) over a non-Ruby full tuition scholly if they want certain PI gigs like myself. HYS + Columbia have LRAPs that amortize debt and don't rely on PSLF, unlike literally every other school.
If you want biglaw or, to a lesser extent, bigfed then HYS at sticker over Hamilton/Vanderbilt seems like more of a reach.

I could get a Dillard or Mordecai, but still wouldn't be able to service the 10-year CoL debt on, say, a 60k salary.
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

?

The Ruby one I've been bitching about for days. Don't want to beat a dead horse but it gets worse and worse every single day.

Honestly, people should just admit that they want H because it's their dream school and it makes them feel cool and prestigious.

Could see why someone would take HYS (or even Columbia) over a non-Ruby full tuition scholly if they want certain PI gigs like myself. HYS + Columbia have LRAPs that amortize debt and don't rely on PSLF, unlike literally every other school.
If you want biglaw or, to a lesser extent, bigfed then HYS at sticker over Hamilton/Vanderbilt seems like more of a reach.

I could get a Dillard or Mordecai, but still wouldn't be able to service the 10-year CoL debt on, say, a 60k salary.

There's an enormous risk there, when you consider the amount of people that come in to LS thinking they want PI who later change their minds. Also, these LRAPs leave limited room for time off / periods of unemployment that could apply to things you can't anticipate or plan for. There are repayment plans that make ~50-60k debt manageable even on a low salary not eligible for PSFL.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:34 pm

I need to do some research on how hard Biglaw --> PI is.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 11, 2017 6:40 pm

oopsu812 wrote:I need to do some research on how hard Biglaw --> PI is.

Most people I see on linkedin and whatnot who made the jump had excellent PI creds in the relevant field from LS, so I think you'd want to plan for that path from day one. What kind of PI?

(Eta: I made the fundamental TLS LinkedIn error, whoops.)

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu May 11, 2017 6:51 pm

If any 7Sage people are reading this, please write a code where you can create custom LR drill packets with the questions you got wrong (once or twice or a bajillion times). That would be sick.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu May 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

?

There's an enormous risk there, when you consider the amount of people that come in to LS thinking they want PI who later change their minds. Also, these LRAPs leave limited room for time off / periods of unemployment that could apply to things you can't anticipate or plan for. There are repayment plans that make ~50-60k debt manageable even on a low salary not eligible for PSFL.

Harvard and Yale have major flexibility in terms of what is covered by their LRAPs, though (less so with Stanford)
I can only speculate, but I suspect the amount of people who concede to OCI social pressure is lower there than at other T14s given the schools' placement power for unicorn and typical PI positions. That being said, your point about risk is still true. The risks you mention are more significant at other T14s though if you do PI.
Additionally, since HHYSC LRAPs are not tied to PSLF, the restriction on qualifying employment are much more relaxed, especially at HY. I purport that banking on holding onto a PSLF-eligibale legal PI job for 10 years while your debt negatively amortizes, while also relying on IBR and PSLF to remain intact, is a greater risk than HY and even CS LRAPs which actually pay off your loans so that if shit hits the fan or you decide to go to the private sector after 5 years, you are not in a worse place than you were upon graduation.

If you are a prospective non-"prestigious" PI gunner like me, that is a huge factor.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu May 11, 2017 6:55 pm

I think it depends on the type of PI work that you want to do. The difficulty is probably different if it is a PD office vs. Bigfed vs. Sierra Club, given the diversity under the "PI" umbrella

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Alexandros wrote:

Most people I see on linkedin and whatnot who made the jump had excellent PI creds in the relevant field from LS, so I think you'd want to plan for that path from day one. What kind of PI?

I haven't done enough research to really answer that question, honestly. I don't think I've formed a complete picture yet of what possibilities are out there. That being said, a lot of the jobs I do know I'd be interested in, I wouldn't be eligible for, so lulz.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu May 11, 2017 7:10 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I haven't done enough research to really answer that question, honestly. I don't think I've formed a complete picture yet of what possibilities are out there. That being said, a lot of the jobs I do know I'd be interested in, I wouldn't be eligible for, so lulz.

Ah yeah, that's an issue. Do you basically have to do BL out of school or are other options open? Not sure how it works for non-citizens.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Ah yeah, that's an issue. Do you basically have to do BL out of school or are other options open? Not sure how it works for non-citizens.

Well the TN visa should give me the freedom to pursue PI positions that don't have residency requirements. I was more thinking Biglaw --> PI for the sole reason of a couple years of $ to pay off debts/invest, lol.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?