The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

chewinggum

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chewinggum » Wed May 10, 2017 3:10 pm

34iplaw wrote:
chewinggum wrote:Is everyone using time constraints when taking every PT?

You aren't taking a PT if you aren't applying strict time constraints. I don't mean to be harsh or dickish, but it's just the reality of it. The LSAT is a far more time constrained test than it's GRE/GMAT brethren.

Just making sure haha.

I think I'm going to try the two sections/night approach someone on here mentioned for the next week or so.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:14 pm

34iplaw wrote:

You aren't taking a PT if you aren't applying strict time constraints. I don't mean to be harsh or dickish, but it's just the reality of it. The LSAT is a far more time constrained test than it's GRE/GMAT brethren.

untimed drilling has its place imo

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 10, 2017 3:18 pm

This thread has finally become an LSAT prep thread. :')

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Also, I read registration opens up sometime between the 13th and 16th. Make sure you all get your first choice testing center so there's no excuses come game day.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Alexandros wrote:This thread has finally become an LSAT prep thread. :')

Last I checked there isn't a december study group thread yet.. we can always migrate to a new home. (im grouping myself with you and chargers because I'm in denial that I still have to take this pos)

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed May 10, 2017 3:26 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

untimed drilling has its place imo

It definitely does. You just aren't taking a PT in that case. You're drilling. Sorry if that seems pedantic. I just don't think someone should do sections 1+2+3+4 untimed and conclude, 'Woah, I got a 178.' I'm not saying they were doing that, but it's just a different part of studying.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 10, 2017 3:42 pm

PT = 5 section (at least) LSAT you haven't seen before, timed to 35 minutes/section, with bubble sheets, no breaks except one 15 min break after the 3rd section.
Drilling = anything else (broken up PT, section1-> mark -> section2, timed or untimed sections/questions, familiar section, etc.)
Both are useful and should be done, but don't use the latter to calculate a PT average.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 10, 2017 4:14 pm

So you're telling me that 1 LG section with a -0 is not indicative of my PT score being a 180?????????

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Wed May 10, 2017 4:15 pm

So what are people doing for this mix-in a random section for your PT noise? What's the approach re: picking which test to remove and which section to pick to double on?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm

abujabal wrote:So what are people doing for this mix-in a random section for your PT noise? What's the approach re: picking which test to remove and which section to pick to double on?

I take the lowest score most the time and pretty much only use LR or RC sections. Also do them between sections 1-3 that is where your exp will most likely be in 4 months.
no 2 RC, no 2 RC

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:54 pm

abujabal wrote:So what are people doing for this mix-in a random section for your PT noise? What's the approach re: picking which test to remove and which section to pick to double on?

So my plan is to add 1 section from a preptest and weave it in different sections for a PT (1-5) i.e. Section 1 is experimental on one PT next PT section 2 etc.

I was initially planning on doing 2 PTs/week (and use the lower 50s as experimental sections) but got told by two different people that it is too much to do for one week. So, now I may have to figure out a new PT schedule :/

I don't plan on practicing the written/essay portion, maybe I'll try and do one right before the test. Is this something people do?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Wifi is finally working again. Hallelujah.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Mikey wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Thanks to all the responses.. Good to hear. Ya i have watched the 7sage LG videos and that helps a ton so I figured the course might help with LR too.
Mikey - did you just do the course alone or also study with some books?

I just did the course alone. The only LSAT books I have are one of the Cambridge LR packets (PT21-40) and superprep 2, no others. I thought 7sage was incredibly helpful for LR, and for RC it took more time to improve on but I kind of adjusted to my own RC style from things that I did learn from various 7sage mentors. They have some good resources on 7sage though and do live online sessions for the different sections which is also a plus if you're into that.

Okay, great. Thanks for your input. Thats what i was thinking. just based off how good the LG videos are I thought LR could be extremely helpful.Which package did you get or do you think is worthit?

TedBuckland

Bronze

Postby TedBuckland » Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:

So my plan is to add 1 section from a preptest and weave it in different sections for a PT (1-5) i.e. Section 1 is experimental on one PT next PT section 2 etc.

I was initially planning on doing 2 PTs/week (and use the lower 50s as experimental sections) but got told by two different people that it is too much to do for one week. So, now I may have to figure out a new PT schedule :/

I don't plan on practicing the written/essay portion, maybe I'll try and do one right before the test. Is this something people do?

Yeah don't waste your time prepping for the essay. I think I did 3 or 4 before I took my first test and I wish I wouldn't have spent even that much. You'll have plenty of time to write on the test. I ended up doodling (drawing football plays) on the scratch paper for the last 15 or 20 minutes

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed May 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Alexandros wrote:Wifi is finally working again. Hallelujah.

Damn, you were outta commission there for a while.... DisConNEctED frOm tHE INteR WeBz

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 10, 2017 7:42 pm

TedBuckland wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Yeah don't waste your time prepping for the essay. I think I did 3 or 4 before I took my first test and I wish I wouldn't have spent even that much. You'll have plenty of time to write on the test. I ended up doodling (drawing football plays) on the scratch paper for the last 15 or 20 minutes

+1

I just did one the night before. Even that was only really useful in that it reduced unknowns.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 10, 2017 7:44 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Wifi is finally working again. Hallelujah.

Damn, you were outta commission there for a while.... DisConNEctED frOm tHE INteR WeBz

:lol:
'Twas very unpleasant.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:51 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Thanks to all the responses.. Good to hear. Ya i have watched the 7sage LG videos and that helps a ton so I figured the course might help with LR too.

I just did the course alone. The only LSAT books I have are one of the Cambridge LR packets (PT21-40) and superprep 2, no others. I thought 7sage was incredibly helpful for LR, and for RC it took more time to improve on but I kind of adjusted to my own RC style from things that I did learn from various 7sage mentors. They have some good resources on 7sage though and do live online sessions for the different sections which is also a plus if you're into that.

Okay, great. Thanks for your input. Thats what i was thinking. just based off how good the LG videos are I thought LR could be extremely helpful.Which package did you get or do you think is worthit?

I have Ultimate+ which I highly recommend. I usually drill the Cambridge pdfs after the respective lesson. It includes PT explanations from 36+, LR explanations from 17+, and RC explanations from 1+. I only revert to the explanations after writing my own, but the curriculum is SO helpful. I also recommend repeating the quizzes and drills until you get a perfect score on all of them.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Postby littlelibertine » Wed May 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Last edited by littlelibertine on Thu May 11, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed May 10, 2017 8:12 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I have Ultimate+ which I highly recommend. I usually drill the Cambridge pdfs after the respective lesson. It includes PT explanations from 36+, LR explanations from 17+, and RC explanations from 1+. I only revert to the explanations after writing my own, but the curriculum is SO helpful. I also recommend repeating the quizzes and drills until you get a perfect score on all of them.

Ooo okay, thanks for your input. How many hours does it take to finish the core-course?

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:28 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Ooo okay, thanks for your input. How many hours does it take to finish the core-course?

No problem! Well my first time around it took me a few months (6), but it was my first interaction with LSAT material and I was going about it REALLY slowly. This time I plan on doing the same in around 1 month. It takes most people 1-2 months. I'm also doing RC on my own and not following the 7sage lessons, I plan on using Trainer for RC and Manhattan RC. My goal is to get all this done this month.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:28 pm

littlelibertine wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

God bless the Cambridge pdfs.

Seriously! They are like a gold mine!!

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm still 13 months out from LSAT eligibility :mrgreen: June 2018 study group anyone? I'll be done with 1L and ready to focus

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 pm

chargers21 wrote:I'm still 13 months out from LSAT eligibility :mrgreen: June 2018 study group anyone? I'll be done with 1L and ready to focus

Down.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 pm

The thread that shall not be named is the WORST. Jeeeeesus.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?