The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
17%

Total votes: 46

it's allgood

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby it's allgood » Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 am

jagerbom79 wrote:I did the trainer this semester but havent studied in a few weeks because ive literally been in survival mode trying to finish top in grad school...anyway I have 6 days left until Im done and then the LSAT grind can start heavy again.

I was planning on going through the MH books, but I am considering getting an adaptive course as well. I was thinking about and realized I do find videos and a little more guidance helpful... What do you guys think if I get?

-7Sage (Isnt 7Sage supposed to be the best online-based course?)
-MH interactive
-Testmasters, Blueprint, Powerscore?
-any others im missing? Its late and im cramming for an exam haha.

My first thought was to do 7Sage and bundle the MH books with it. On top of drilling and PTs. THoughts?

Much appreciated.

I did not find powerscore helpful. I took the in person class and had access to the online material as well. The video quality was poor and there really wasn't much advantage to their books that I ordered off of Amazon. I have taken all of the PTs except 80 and started with the earliest. I wish I would have spent more time on the later tests instead prior to taking the LSAT for the first time. I have found taking PT 61-79 the most helpful, because in the later tests the nuances in language are far more detailed than the earlier tests; and for me, it took a lot of practice to get used to paying attention to these types of details. Also, 7Sage has been very helpful for me, particularly for learning how to actively read LR and RC. For me, drilling and reviewing PTs has yielded the greatest improvement--though it has taken several months for me to see any significant progress.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Postby littlelibertine » Wed May 10, 2017 9:53 am

jagerbom79 wrote:I did the trainer this semester but havent studied in a few weeks because ive literally been in survival mode trying to finish top in grad school...anyway I have 6 days left until Im done and then the LSAT grind can start heavy again.

I was planning on going through the MH books, but I am considering getting an adaptive course as well. I was thinking about and realized I do find videos and a little more guidance helpful... What do you guys think if I get?

-MH interactive

My first thought was to do 7Sage and bundle the MH books with it. On top of drilling and PTs. THoughts?

Much appreciated.

All of the 7sage LG videos are available on youtube without a subscription. Save yourself some $$ and see if that works for you.

I love the Powerscore LG and LR Bibles, but I'm not doing anything to review for RC besides drilling 1-39 by topic and difficulty + practice tests.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 10, 2017 10:00 am

-MH interactive

Much appreciated.

Best of luck with finishing up school bud! I know you'll kill these last few days!

I would say 7sage. They're so much more cheaper than other companies and personally, I've made a lot of gains by watching their videos (I bought their course). I think many will say 7sage on here, and if they do, I'm totally with them. Idk much about the MH books but I've heard nothing bad about their LR book, idk about the others. :mrgreen:

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 am

well well well.. look who decided to pass through the LSAT sub-forum again...

Barack O'Drama wrote:

strawf1000

New

Postby strawf1000 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 am

Hey everyone!

I took the LSAT 3 times... I know... and scored 165, 162 and 162. At the time, I used Blueprint material with which I made some progress (I scored 149 on my first PT). I think I made a lot of progress the first 3 months I studied for the test but then I wasn't able to score higher than 168 on my best PTs.

I was also in graduate school in a particularly challenging Masters program which didn't allow me to commit full time to this lovely exam. I learned from my mistakes and I'll be spending summer working on it and perhaps will take it in September or December (hopefully for the last time ever).

I haven't touched any LSAT material for a year and a half and I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, how did you get back in the game? What should I focus on first? Any advice, comment is appreciated!

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 am

Testmasters isn't adaptive, and I suspect the online access gets revoked at your terminal date.

Their online course, AFAIK, is basically old videos of Robin teaching their in-person class.

TBH, I wouldn't recommend Testmasters unless you felt being in a live class would serve as significant motivation for you.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 10, 2017 11:47 am

strawf1000 wrote:Hey everyone!

I took the LSAT 3 times... I know... and scored 165, 162 and 162. At the time, I used Blueprint material with which I made some progress (I scored 149 on my first PT). I think I made a lot of progress the first 3 months I studied for the test but then I wasn't able to score higher than 168 on my best PTs.

I was also in graduate school in a particularly challenging Masters program which didn't allow me to commit full time to this lovely exam. I learned from my mistakes and I'll be spending summer working on it and perhaps will take it in September or December (hopefully for the last time ever).

I haven't touched any LSAT material for a year and a half and I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, how did you get back in the game? What should I focus on first? Any advice, comment is appreciated!

If you're not pressed for time I would go through the entire baseline curriculum again just to re-learn everything. Piggybacking on what mikey said earlier, I highly recommend 7sage. They have a great community that is dedicated to helping you learn the test.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed May 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Mikey wrote:

-MH interactive

Much appreciated.

Best of luck with finishing up school bud! I know you'll kill these last few days!

I would say 7sage. They're so much more cheaper than other companies and personally, I've made a lot of gains by watching their videos (I bought their course). I think many will say 7sage on here, and if they do, I'm totally with them. Idk much about the MH books but I've heard nothing bad about their LR book, idk about the others. :mrgreen:

Thanks to all the responses.. Good to hear. Ya i have watched the 7sage LG videos and that helps a ton so I figured the course might help with LR too.
Mikey - did you just do the course alone or also study with some books?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 10, 2017 12:11 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:Thanks to all the responses.. Good to hear. Ya i have watched the 7sage LG videos and that helps a ton so I figured the course might help with LR too.
Mikey - did you just do the course alone or also study with some books?

I just did the course alone. The only LSAT books I have are one of the Cambridge LR packets (PT21-40) and superprep 2, no others. I thought 7sage was incredibly helpful for LR, and for RC it took more time to improve on but I kind of adjusted to my own RC style from things that I did learn from various 7sage mentors. They have some good resources on 7sage though and do live online sessions for the different sections which is also a plus if you're into that.

strawf1000

New

Postby strawf1000 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm

TWiiX wrote:
strawf1000 wrote:Hey everyone!

If you're not pressed for time I would go through the entire baseline curriculum again just to re-learn everything. Piggybacking on what mikey said earlier, I highly recommend 7sage. They have a great community that is dedicated to helping you learn the test.

Ok thanks for the recommendation, I won't use Blueprint again since I already did, and I heard a lot of good things about 7sage. Also, I was thinking about going through all the Powerscore bibles as well.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed May 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Mikey wrote:well well well.. look who decided to pass through the LSAT sub-forum again...

Barack O'Drama wrote:

Ayeeee! Mikey! 8)

How are you, man!?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Postby littlelibertine » Wed May 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Spending my lunch break with the totalLSATprep conditional reasoning videos. I have no idea why the LRB doesn't present conditional reasoning until Chapter 6, but I'm moving it up to this week. :x

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Mikey wrote:well well well.. look who decided to pass through the LSAT sub-forum again...

Barack O'Drama wrote:

Ayeeee! Mikey! 8)

How are you, man!?

I'm alright, and yourself???

how is prep going?

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Wed May 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Once I finish the LG and LR Bibles (and start RC Bible), which PTs do you all recommend for initial drilling and PTing?
I have the 162-170(I think) PTs and have already wasted one of them on an early PT, so I don't want to use the rest this early.

Should I start with the first PTs available, or is there a better starting point? FWIW I started off with a strong diagnostic and want to do as many PTs as possible before the end of August. Thanks.
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:Once I finish the LG and LR Bibles (and start RC Bible), which PTs do you all recommend for initial drilling and PTing?
I have the 162-170(I think) PTs and have already wasted one of them on an early PT, so I don't want to use the rest this early.

Should I start with the first PTs available, or is there a better starting point? FWIW I started off with a strong diagnostic and want to do as many PTs as possible before the end of August. Thanks.

do you mean 62-70? The PTs only go up to 80.

You don't want to use anything above 50 for drilling/practice until you are finished with your studying/curriculum. I would recommend starting in the 1-35 range for drilling and practicing your strategies for various question types. By all means recycle these and use them as high level PTs, but you will undoubtedly remember some of the questions. Once you wrap up the core content and are proficient with untimed scoring, you should move on to the newer PTs. Save the newest for last. (Start at 50 and work towards 80)

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed May 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Mikey wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Barack O'Drama wrote:

Ayeeee! Mikey! 8)

How are you, man!?

I'm alright, and yourself???

how is prep going?

Doing well -- no news is good news, lol.

Prep is going well, too. Slow and steady!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Wed May 10, 2017 2:31 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:Once I finish the LG and LR Bibles (and start RC Bible), which PTs do you all recommend for initial drilling and PTing?

You don't want to use anything above 50 for drilling/practice until you are finished with your studying/curriculum. I would recommend starting in the 1-35 range for drilling and practicing your strategies for various question types. By all means recycle these and use them as high level PTs, but you will undoubtedly remember some of the questions. Once you wrap up the core content and are proficient with untimed scoring, you should move on to the newer PTs. Save the newest for last. (Start at 50 and work towards 80)

Yep, don't know why I added the 1 in front.

Okay that is what I figured. It isn't a disadvantage to drill the oldest PTs? I'm only asking because I've seen references to pretty significant changes in the "feel" of the LSAT over the years (i.e. RC comparative passages, different language in LR, easier games, etc)

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:32 pm

@Twiix
we will have PT81 to play with in July. Everyone ITT should have a friendly competition on who scores the highest.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed May 10, 2017 2:44 pm

dj9i27 wrote:@Twiix
we will have PT81 to play with in July. Everyone ITT should have a friendly competition on who scores the highest.

Down.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 pm

34iplaw wrote:

Down.

U finna get rekt son. don't want none of these hands

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Also down

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm

We can also do a mini contest on the digital LSAT.

I'm doing it cold, but I almost feel doing tests cold at this point I'm stronger. WE SHALL SEE!

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Wed May 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Is everyone using time constraints when taking every PT?

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed May 10, 2017 3:06 pm

chewinggum wrote:Is everyone using time constraints when taking every PT?

You aren't taking a PT if you aren't applying strict time constraints. I don't mean to be harsh or dickish, but it's just the reality of it. The LSAT is a far more time constrained test than it's GRE/GMAT brethren.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 10, 2017 3:06 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

Yep, don't know why I added the 1 in front.

Okay that is what I figured. It isn't a disadvantage to drill the oldest PTs? I'm only asking because I've seen references to pretty significant changes in the "feel" of the LSAT over the years (i.e. RC comparative passages, different language in LR, easier games, etc)

There are definitely differences in the feel, but you really want to have a strong foundation by the time you start burning those "good"(relevant) PT's. The old ones will still allow you to develop and employ a skipping strategy as well as time management. You want your LG method, LR strategy and LR strategy to be developed at this point as well. Then review where you have weaknesses and go back to the curriculum and touch up on stuff you might have glanced over mistakenly, and touch up on those areas. THEN you go into the good PTs. The differences on newer tests aren't night and day compared to the old ones though, so it's not like you're taking an entirely different test.

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Down.

U finna get rekt son. don't want none of these hands

I'm down for the 81 throwdown as well as the digital test. To the victor goes the spoils (what are the spoils??)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?