The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
19%

Total votes: 47

twiix

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby twiix » Sun May 07, 2017 8:51 pm

chewinggum wrote:
TWiiX wrote:I get my puppy in 3 days so I'm sure it'll largely be considered a failure with all the distractions

My puppy just turned 1 and you can't believe how much of a distraction he still is when it comes to studying haha

well i have a dog - although he's 16 now. once they get older they are more independent but im sure ill be obsessed and want to spend all of my time cuddling with the puppy instead of being a nerd

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Sun May 07, 2017 9:40 pm

oopsu812 wrote:A friend just told me I'm not a human for having not watched Friends before.

Your friend was just testing your knowledge of conditional reasoning. Did you inform your friend that watching Friends does not necessarily mean he/she is a human?
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:A friend just told me I'm not a human for having not watched Friends before.

Your friend was just testing your knowledge of conditional reasoning. Did you inform your friend that watching Friends does not necessarily mean he/she is a human?

I called her a stinky cat and she told me to die, so no. :cry:

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Sun May 07, 2017 9:49 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Wot is it
The Stanny ding?

and all the waitlists with uva ding... srs tho stanny, y?

Could it be chalked up to YP dings at Penn, UMich, and UVA? (along with no Why X essays for them, perhaps)
The Cornell WL is strange although I've heard of them using LiveLink interviews as an informal YP so maybe it was related to that?

Also, given the absolute randomness of some of these application choices, this candidate could have struggled to piece together the cohesive narrative to accompany great numbers for YSH.
Then again, he/she get accepted to Berkeley, which is supposed to crave that sort of thing. Weird.
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun May 07, 2017 10:13 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Wot is it
The Stanny ding?

and all the waitlists with uva ding... srs tho stanny, y?

Could it be chalked up to YP dings at Penn, UMich, and UVA? (along with no Why X essays for them, perhaps)
The Cornell WL is strange although I've heard of them using LiveLink interviews as an informal YP so maybe it was related to that?

Also, given the absolute randomness of some of these application choices, this candidate could have struggled to piece together the cohesive narrative to accompany great numbers for YSH.
Then again, he/she get accepted to Berkeley, which is supposed to crave that sort of thing. Weird.

Yeah my guess is they didn't write a single Why X and had a meh app/PS.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Sun May 07, 2017 11:46 pm

Brief LSAT studying check-in to interrupt from the discussions of bench pressing etc:

I've finished the first sections of the LSAT Trainer for LR and LG and decided to take a PT just to see what change had occurred and what I could use focus on. Here's what happened:

PT 6

RC: -2 (-2 BR) 29:16
LR1: -7 (-7BR) 31:28
LR2: -2 (-3 BR) 31:03
LG: -1 (-0 BR) 32:50

Score: 169

I have a few thoughts on this:

[*]First, that RC continues to be a freakish strength for me. I've known this from my experience with other standardized tests though, so I'm happy that whatever reason makes me have a lucky aptitude for it holds.
[*]Second, those spreads on LR are not acceptable. Either my level is -7 and I got lucky on the second section, or -2 and I got unlucky on the first section, or -4.5ish and something happened. Need to analyze what went wrong for specific questions now, so we'll see.
[*]Third, my score on LG is absolutely where I want to hold it until September. I don't know if this was a fluke (easy games or something), but I know that on this one, the diagramming just sort of "clicked". For games 2 and 3, for instance, I spent maybe 3 minutes setting up my diagram, and I flew through the questions - the answers seemed to be right there. For game 4, it was a little harder, and game 1 was made difficult by my phobia of snakes and a question that talked about them at length. That's where my mistake happened, and I think it's because I forgot to answer question 2 and had a bubbling error.

I won't lie that I briefly flirted with registering for the June test on the basis of this, but I think that'd be stupid premature. One data point does not a consistent score make. Priorities will be to finish off the LSAT Trainer, with special focus on the Logical Reasoning sections, and then to grab myself a copy of the LR bible or something and get that to a consistent place. At some point, I'll also need to start drilling this test as an actual test. I had the benefit of total silence, a climate controlled room, and the ability to just hop up and go to the bathroom in between sections. I also only did 4 sections, and I should start dropping some 5 sections in there after going through the Trainer. Also should take them at 8 AM, and not after a lazy and relaxing Sunday spent sipping tea.

Regardless, I hope it's not too boastful if I say that this makes me feel super good about myself, and gives me confidence that I can achieve my goals (172+) for September. If you're reading, hi. I suppose my posts are turning more into a public diary to keep myself accountable, so there's that.

Quick edit with an ask for the group - is there a resource somewhere that ranks LSATs by difficulty? Don't want to get lulled into a false sense of security by taking easy PTs

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 08, 2017 12:02 am

Great place to be this far out. Congrats.

Don't think so - easier PTs will have less generous of a curve so it should all even out. But more recent PTs (50-80) will be much more similar to what you'll see in September and you should mainly do those when you get closer to test day.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 am

Abu, it's not unusual to be loved by anyone or to have fun with anyone for one LR section to be harder than the other. I think -2/-7 may just reveal that it's a bit of a weakness, but you are in an overall good spot. It is possible maybe that -2 was a little lucky (I suspect it was b/c your BR was lower) and the -7 was a bit unlucky. Just keep note of the question types you are missing and other characteristics (heavy conditional logic, flowery and abstract language, long prompts, "math," etc.) but 172 should totes be attainable for you.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon May 08, 2017 12:21 am

Best way to gauge an LSAT's "difficulty" is to look at the curve. -14 for 170? That's a relatively hard test. -9 for 170? That's a relatively easy test.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 am

All of that makes sense. Regarding the LR, the -2 being lucky and the -7 being unlucky makes sense - I feel like my average is a -4, and that sort of matches average-wise. The next sections in the Trainer are LR, so that's good. I just hope that the Logic Games are this comprehensible to me in the future as well. Per that scale, looks like PT6 is relatively easy. I'll mentally scale myself down to a 164-166 range in that case, which matches where I was hoping I'd be by now, roughly one month in.

As always, thanks for your help! Solid group of people here in between the memery

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon May 08, 2017 12:42 am

I mean - the scale already accommodates for that. You should never put too much stock in one score, but it's also nonsensical to lower your score because it was an easier test. The curve already did that. I think it's fine to lower ones score though for any questions they guessed right, as those points can't be counted on.

All that said, you're definitely in a good spot to crush it.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon May 08, 2017 7:44 am

Any advice for boiling down my -2/-3 per LR section to around -2/-1 LR combined?

Review helps a ton, which is what got me here now. But I'm looking for something more.. And I don't have a pattern of weakness on a Q type.

(I don't want advice from Alex since he didn't even get a 180, loser...... Jk bb)

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Mon May 08, 2017 9:08 am

and stanford remains an unobtainable dream : http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TLAWHYS

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:04 am

TWiiX wrote:and stanford remains an unobtainable dream : http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TLAWHYS

quit telling me about operation false hope
[+] Spoiler

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Mon May 08, 2017 10:34 am

dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:and stanford remains an unobtainable dream : http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TLAWHYS

[+] Spoiler

woah.. im trying to redirect operation false hope towards yalole instead of JUST stanford.. if you can make it to one there's obviously hope for the other.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:42 am

TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

woah.. im trying to redirect operation false hope towards yalole instead of JUST stanford.. if you can make it to one there's obviously hope for the other.

idk with a 180 if i would even apply to Yehlol. Stanny seems to like strong writing to overcome a shotty LSAT or GPA along with WE according to Fayes blog. I have no clue what Yale is doing, they routinely deny 4.0/177 for the lulz.

Me stanny hope: 15%
Yehlol: 2%

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Mon May 08, 2017 12:14 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

idk with a 180 if i would even apply to Yehlol. Stanny seems to like strong writing to overcome a shotty LSAT or GPA along with WE according to Fayes blog. I have no clue what Yale is doing, they routinely deny 4.0/177 for the lulz.

[+] Spoiler

So what you're saying is you have a better chance of successfully performing a 75 yard hail mary as time expires than getting into yehlol? I like it. #OperationYaleMary

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:17 pm

TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

So what you're saying is you have a better chance of successfully performing a 75 yard hail mary as time expires than getting into yehlol? I like it. #OperationYaleMary

I like my odds inside the 50, Auburn did that weird 100 yard return with 0:00 on the clock a few years back. Plz Stanny.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Mon May 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Alexandros wrote:
lurksoh4rd wrote:what are your favorite study environments for going through the bibles?

I enjoyed the library. Apartment works too.

calmike wrote:

Congrats - You're killing it!

Thank you!

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Mon May 08, 2017 2:09 pm

My PT Scores so far since I began taking them in March

167, 167, 175, 171, 171, 171, 174

I took PT 66 yesterday. It was 5 sections with an experimental section.

I scored a 174.

RC: -1
LR1: -4
LG: 0
LR2: -1

Was PT 66 easier that usual? I feel like it had a low curve.
I actually ran out of time when doing RC. I speed read the last passage and answered the questions with a vague idea of the structure and it worked out. I was actually very surprised I got a -1 on RC.

I actually dont like all the space that these newer tests give for Logic Games haha I feel like I end up missing something.

How do you recommend studying LR to get a nearer score in LR? 7Sage Analytics states that my priority should be studying FLAW and PsuedoSufficient questions.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Mon May 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Alright squad - I need dog name recommendations for a female Chocolate Labradoodle - Go!

(also not interested in the overplayed and unoriginal names)

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Mon May 08, 2017 2:14 pm

calmike wrote:My PT Scores so far since I began taking them in March

167, 167, 175, 171, 171, 171, 174

I took PT 66 yesterday. It was 5 sections with an experimental section.

I scored a 174.

RC: -1
LR1: -4
LG: 0
LR2: -1

Was PT 66 easier that usual? I feel like it had a low curve.
I actually ran out of time when doing RC. I speed read the last passage and answered the questions with a vague idea of the structure and it worked out. I was actually very surprised I got a -1 on RC.

I actually dont like all the space that these newer tests give for Logic Games haha I feel like I end up missing something.

How do you recommend studying LR to get a nearer score in LR? 7Sage Analytics states that my priority should be studying FLAW and PsuedoSufficient questions.

I think pt66 has a -10 curve to 170 which seems pretty middle of the road. You're killing the PT's though. I wish I was in that range already :cry:

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 08, 2017 2:23 pm

So Tiffany won't be going to a t14 this fall after all!

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Alexandros wrote:So Tiffany won't be going to a t14 this fall after all!

?

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Mon May 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Alexandros wrote:So Tiffany won't be going to a t14 this fall after all!

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/0 ... ool-238112

Shes going to Georgetown!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?