The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

chargers21

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:32 pm

90K was the highest offer my friend got out of a top engineering program with a master's. 75K seems a little more on par for all but the tippy top UG engineering degree holders.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:38 pm

chargers21 wrote:90K was the highest offer my friend got out of a top engineering program with a master's. 75K seems a little more on par for all but the tippy top UG engineering degree holders.

I've seen 120g but think like biglaw type of hours. this is one thing I don't fucking get is people think you are making 250g as a BL associate and not going to kneel to the firms every whim. will it suck? yes. but you do make a substantial amount of money. Given everyone leaves BL eventually it is essentially a debt pay off job or a nest egg creator... or buy a Lamborghini go buck wild.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 03, 2017 3:41 pm

chargers21 wrote:90K was the highest offer my friend got out of a top engineering program with a master's. 75K seems a little more on par for all but the tippy top UG engineering degree holders.

Last edited by twiix on Wed May 03, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 03, 2017 3:43 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

I've seen 120g but think like biglaw type of hours. this is one thing I don't fucking get is people think you are making 250g as a BL associate and not going to kneel to the firms every whim. will it suck? yes. but you do make a substantial amount of money. Given everyone leaves BL eventually it is essentially a debt pay off job or a nest egg creator... or buy a Lamborghini go buck wild.

I'm committed, you had me at Lambo. Where does one sign up :mrgreen:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:46 pm

TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I'm committed, you had me at Lambo. Where does one sign up :mrgreen:

http://www.wlrk.com/?nomobile=perm
take a T14 at full tuition and then go here

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Last edited by ngogirl12 on Wed May 03, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:47 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

I'm sticking with BL as long as possible, and will be busting my ass day in and day out until they tell me to stop coming into work. Firing/pushing out will be my only reasons for leaving. My parents worked shit jobs with shit hours for shit money, I did the same. I'm prepared for the real world of working your life away. At least now I'll be getting paid for it. My biggest concern is just not being good at lawyering

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:50 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I'm sticking with BL as long as possible, and will be busting my ass day in and day out until they tell me to stop coming into work. Firing/pushing out will be my only reasons for leaving. My parents worked shit jobs with shit hours for shit money, I did the same. I'm prepared for the real world of working your life away. At least now I'll be getting paid for it. My biggest concern is just not being good at lawyering

I'll hang onto BL as long as possible as well but really like PI as a career choice. That salary is a trout spinner to me and I can't see the hook behind it tho. Honestly corporate in house looks the nicest; mid 6 figures pay and better work life balance. I would much rather do that but 4 people get to probably.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:07 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I'll hang onto BL as long as possible as well but really like PI as a career choice. That salary is a trout spinner to me and I can't see the hook behind it tho. Honestly corporate in house looks the nicest; mid 6 figures pay and better work life balance. I would much rather do that but 4 people get to probably.

Isn't low 6 figure in house work what many transactional BL lawyers lateral to?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:10 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Isn't low 6 figure in house work what many transactional BL lawyers lateral to?

what I've seen it varies how much it pays. big oil pays out the wazoo for their in house folks whereas Google pays good (150g?). I'm staying far away from transactional, hellllll no litigation or bust.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 03, 2017 4:11 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

BL till we die boys. It's probably shitty, but I have literally 0 desire to ever be involved in PI. Corporate life or bust. I've worked the shitty hours in shitty environments, so I constantly tell myself it's the measly KJD's that can't stand BL. I know if that was my first real job I wouldn't be able to handle it. My fallback plan when BL doesn't work out (aka when my GF despises who I've become and refuses to acknowledge my existence anymore from working too much and because of my narcissism) is to go in house for a tech company. Upper management doesn't seem so bad to transition to either from the in-house position.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm going transactional 8) and I also have 0 interest in anything that isn't corporate work. BL until you're forced out, then in house, then upper management seems like the ideal path, aside from making partner and raking in cash until they find out I'm a fraud :lol:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:21 pm

TWiiX wrote:BL till we die boys. It's probably shitty, but I have literally 0 desire to ever be involved in PI. Corporate life or bust. I've worked the shitty hours in shitty environments, so I constantly tell myself it's the measly KJD's that can't stand BL. I know if that was my first real job I wouldn't be able to handle it. My fallback plan when BL doesn't work out (aka when my GF despises who I've become and refuses to acknowledge my existence anymore from working too much and because of my narcissism) is to go in house for a tech company. Upper management doesn't seem so bad to transition to either from the in-house position.

Ibtoo have worked a laundry list of shitty jobs but I don't think biglaw will be a utopia by any means however id much rather do PI. I think one of my HYS "Yale Mary's" May go through and I'll face 120g in debt (with a little help from school/fam) so I feel confined to take BL in an effort to pay it off and maybe have some savings. Dream corporate job remains to be Google.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 03, 2017 4:25 pm

TWiiX wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

BL till we die boys. It's probably shitty, but I have literally 0 desire to ever be involved in PI. Corporate life or bust. I've worked the shitty hours in shitty environments, so I constantly tell myself it's the measly KJD's that can't stand BL. I know if that was my first real job I wouldn't be able to handle it. My fallback plan when BL doesn't work out (aka when my GF despises who I've become and refuses to acknowledge my existence anymore from working too much and because of my narcissism) is to go in house for a tech company. Upper management doesn't seem so bad to transition to either from the in-house position.

Dude, this has been addressed on TLS so many times and it's definitely not the case. I'm not sure why people keep saying this. (ETA: not saying you wouldn't be able to handle BL, only that it's definitely not just measly KJDs who haven't worked a real job before who struggle with BL.)
Last edited by Alexandros on Wed May 03, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm starting to think my ideal outcome would be a Hamilton. NYC and Columbia would be fucking amazing for PI, as someone (with a bias of course) was mentioning in another thread. Lots of electives and a brilliant location. I'd love to avoid BL now that I know that's possible for me, lol.

Obviously other than Yale or Stanny or maybe Berk considering I want to end up in Cali, lulz.
Last edited by oopsu812 on Wed May 03, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Alexandros wrote:Dude, this has been addressed on TLS so many times and it's definitely not the case. I'm not sure why people keep saying this.

Oh I know very well it's not true. Telling myself that it is true however, is my mechanism to help hype myself up to succeeding. Don't ruin my dreams Mister Scrooge.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 03, 2017 4:34 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Dude, this has been addressed on TLS so many times and it's definitely not the case. I'm not sure why people keep saying this.

Oh I know very well it's not true. Telling myself that it is true however, is my mechanism to help hype myself up to succeeding. Don't ruin my dreams Mister Scrooge.

Sorry, didn't mean to lash out at you. I see 0Ls toss this around like it's gospel truth when it's been addressed so many times and it's completely false. Sometimes I think it's better to just admit that most of us won't really understand what working in BL is like until we get there, so we might as well listen to those who do.

Regardless, you can't really plan to be in BL for more than 3 or 4 years (an optimistic estimate) and odds of making partner are slim to none.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 03, 2017 4:36 pm

oopsu812 wrote:I'm starting to think my ideal outcome would be a Hamilton. NYC and Columbia would be fucking amazing for PI, as someone (with a bias of course) was mentioning in another thread. Lots of electives and a brilliant location. I'd love to avoid BL now that I know that's possible for me, lol.

Obviously other than Yale or Stanny considering I want to end up in Cali, lulz.

Same.

Columbia plz <3

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 pm

deer goggle,
Hire me.
plzkthnx

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:I'm starting to think my ideal outcome would be a Hamilton. NYC and Columbia would be fucking amazing for PI, as someone (with a bias of course) was mentioning in another thread. Lots of electives and a brilliant location. I'd love to avoid BL now that I know that's possible for me, lol.

Same.

Columbia plz <3

STOP BEING ME. :x :x :x

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 03, 2017 4:41 pm

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to lash out at you. I see 0Ls toss this around like it's gospel truth when it's been addressed so many times and it's completely false. Sometimes I think it's better to just admit that most of us won't really understand what working in BL is like until we get there, so we might as well listen to those who do.

Regardless, you can't really plan to be in BL for more than 3 or 4 years (an optimistic estimate) and odds of making partner are slim to none.

You're really pissing in our bowl of optimism here Alex. We were on a roll of making CEO by the age of 34 at google and you just ruined it all with your realism. :|

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed May 03, 2017 4:42 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Same.

Columbia plz <3

I'll be the pleb from the group and settle for NW. Chicago is cooler anyway. BRING ON THE COLD

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:47 pm

TWiiX wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Same.

Columbia plz <3

I'll be the pleb from the group and settle for NW. Chicago is cooler anyway. BRING ON THE COLD

*NU :lol:

You could be like me and get into Chicago and get bounced by NU

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:49 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

You're really pissing in our bowl of optimism here Alex. We were on a roll of making CEO by the age of 34 at google and you just ruined it all with your realism. :|

VP at NASCAR, some of us are realistic :mrgreen:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:50 pm

chargers21 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

VP at NASCAR, some of us are realistic :mrgreen:

owner of a McDonalds franchise over here

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?