The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:I've been browsing r/LateStageCapitalism at work and don't like how I find myself agreeing with some points.

WELCOME, COMRADE

Not turning full eastern bloc but their points on wages and productivity as well as how general shit workdays are , do have some convincing points. it is 10000x worse in Japan so I ought be quiet

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Postby CottonHarvest » Mon May 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Can this semester just end?!

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Had my first lecture for my women's studies elective. I've learned that I'm not as liberal as I thought, lulz.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 01, 2017 4:15 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:I've been browsing r/LateStageCapitalism at work and don't like how I find myself agreeing with some points.

WELCOME, COMRADE

Not turning full eastern bloc but their points on wages and productivity as well as how general shit workdays are , do have some convincing points. it is 10000x worse in Japan so I ought be quiet

I agree completely. And the fact that it's worse other places doesn't legitimize or invalidate the shitty situation here.

Side note why doesn't my office have a fan.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

WELCOME, COMRADE

I agree completely. And the fact that it's worse other places doesn't legitimize or invalidate the shitty situation here.

if I had a window where I can see trees and birds id be a million times happier. Still I don't see the point of an 8 hour workday, id be so much more productive with 10-2

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 01, 2017 4:28 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

WELCOME, COMRADE

if I had a window where I can see trees and birds id be a million times happier. Still I don't see the point of an 8 hour workday, id be so much more productive with 10-2

I stole the means of production a fan from the meeting room.

You poor thing. No window does suck. Idk I'm not that radical but imo the current system goes against human nature and isn't sustainable in the long run.
Last edited by Alexandros on Mon May 01, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 01, 2017 4:30 pm

oopsu812 wrote:Had my first lecture for my women's studies elective. I've learned that I'm not as liberal as I thought, lulz.

[+] Spoiler

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:38 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Had my first lecture for my women's studies elective. I've learned that I'm not as liberal as I thought, lulz.

[+] Spoiler

Lmao. I've just never heard someone introduce themselves as a person who uses she/her pronouns before and ask the class to avoid pronouns if they don't know what someone goes by. It doesn't bother me, but it caught me off guard, lulz.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

WELCOME, COMRADE

You poor thing. That does suck. Idk I'm not that radical but imo the current system goes against human nature and isn't sustainable in the long run.

I seized so much office supplies. I think that parking folks (including BL, yes) in front of a desk 40+ hours a week is detrimental to our nature but the kicker might be the lack of face to face interaction. Even if you are an introvert and walk to class and go home, you still see faces and other people but at a desk you see a computer with whatever task

I don't think communism works (see 1917-1991 Russia) but I don't think Capatlism is ideal either. Maybe it sounds HS world history class but why can't we have more than 2 forms of economy? Understood we do but in terms of how the NFL and CFL are both football.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 01, 2017 4:44 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Lmao. I've just never heard someone introduce themselves as a person who uses she/her pronouns before and ask the class to avoid pronouns if they don't know what someone goes by. It doesn't bother me, but it caught me off guard, lulz.

Srsly?? I haven't had that happen in a class but introducing with pronouns is fairly standard procedure here. I kinda take issue with it because it puts people on the spot and a lot of people who are transitioning aren't comfortable announcing it to a room full of strangers.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

WELCOME, COMRADE

You poor thing. That does suck. Idk I'm not that radical but imo the current system goes against human nature and isn't sustainable in the long run.

I seized so much office supplies. I think that parking folks (including BL, yes) in front of a desk 40+ hours a week is detrimental to our nature but the kicker might be the lack of face to face interaction. Even if you are an introvert and walk to class and go home, you still see faces and other people but at a desk you see a computer with whatever task

I don't think communism works (see 1917-1991 Russia) but I don't think Capatlism is ideal either. Maybe it sounds HS world history class but why can't we have more than 2 forms of economy? Understood we do but in terms of how the NFL and CFL are both football.

Arguments made on the basis of what's 'natural' and what's not are dumb and don't hold up so I don't mean to be making that error, but I still think it's kind of bizarre thinking how people lived for tens of thousands of years versus now.

Idk I think there are or can be more than two forms of economy. 1917-1991 Russia was a very specific form of communism and probably not what a lot of Marxist thinkers had in mind but maybe that's a different discussion.
Last edited by Alexandros on Mon May 01, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Srsly?? I haven't had that happen in a class but introducing with pronouns is fairly standard procedure here. I kinda take issue with it because it puts people on the spot and a lot of people who are transitioning aren't comfortable announcing it to a room full of strangers.

Is it really? Like I know of it, but I've only ever seen it done on the internet. Same with calling yourself cis-gender. I've never heard someone introduce themselves like that before. I think it's a bit silly. We make 37514 different assumptions when speaking to a new person, and if you're wrong, you get corrected and then you continue chatting, no harm no foul. I'm saying this as someone who is ALWAYS assumed to be a sexuality I'm not, lol. I'd feel bizarre having to disclose that right after saying hello.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:03 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

WELCOME, COMRADE

Unpopular opinion: NFL is obviously where the top talent is, but CFL rules are better than NFL rules. Much more fun to watch.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 01, 2017 5:18 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Is it really? Like I know of it, but I've only ever seen it done on the internet. Same with calling yourself cis-gender. I've never heard someone introduce themselves like that before. I think it's a bit silly. We make 37514 different assumptions when speaking to a new person, and if you're wrong, you get corrected and then you continue chatting, no harm no foul. I'm saying this as someone who is ALWAYS assumed to be a sexuality I'm not, lol. I'd feel bizarre having to disclose that right after saying hello.

In student residences during freshman year (at least when I was there), in student groups (at least the ones with a more social justice slant), workshops, etc, that's how introductions are typically done - you say your name and pronouns, but not "cis/trans-gender" (which is a super problematic way to have someone introduce themselves wtf? Like if you want to introduce yourself as cis/trans that's fine but don't pressure others to.)

Yeah, I agree. I think, like much of "ENEMIES OF THE GATE culture", it's well-intentioned people with limited experience trying to be inclusive/'woke' and botching it. It goes against the reality of what life/the world is like for people who are gender nonconforming - which is connected to a whole lot of other things involving sexuality, culture, other aspects of identity, etc. Also very easily misunderstood, isn't explained to those not familiar with it, and kind of perpetuates the idea of an out-of-touch social justice culture.

And idk I think certain things like removing gender-specifications from restrooms often just cause more harm than good.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

In student residences during freshman year (at least when I was there), in student groups (at least the ones with a more social justice slant), workshops, etc, that's how introductions are typically done - you say your name and pronouns, but not "cis/trans-gender" (which is a super problematic way to have someone introduce themselves wtf? Like if you want to introduce yourself as cis/trans that's fine but don't pressure others to.)

Yeah, I agree. I think, like much of "ENEMIES OF THE GATE culture", it's well-intentioned people with limited experience trying to be inclusive/'woke' and botching it. It goes against the reality of what life/the world is like for people who are gender nonconforming - which is connected to a whole lot of other things involving sexuality, culture, other aspects of identity, etc. Also very easily misunderstood, isn't explained to those not familiar with it, and kind of perpetuates the idea of an out-of-touch social justice culture.

And idk I think certain things like removing gender-specifications from restrooms often just cause more harm than good.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I feel much the same as you. Not much I can add to that. I feel like another issue with "ENEMIES OF THE GATE culture" is the constant shaming. Instead of using mistakes as instances to educate people about the things they say that may be problematic, people just shame them. I'm young, and a lot of this stuff is very very new to me. Imagine how much newer it is for older people. They'll never want to learn though, if all you do is call someone ignorant or a bigot for making a fucking mistake.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 01, 2017 5:37 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I feel much the same as you. Not much I can add to that. I feel like another issue with "ENEMIES OF THE GATE culture" is the constant shaming. Instead of using mistakes as instances to educate people about the things they say that may be problematic, people just shame them. I'm young, and a lot of this stuff is very very new to me. Imagine how much newer it is for older people. They'll never want to learn though, if all you do is call someone ignorant or a bigot for making a fucking mistake.

I agree completely

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Whoa, y'all are woke af

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:28 pm

chargers21 wrote:Whoa, y'all are woke af

What shape is the Earth?
[+] Spoiler
FLAT

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon May 01, 2017 8:37 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

What shape is the Earth?
[+] Spoiler
FLAT

Stay woke and stay safe, kids.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon May 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I hate life

y

Cuz i suk at lsat

Postpone to September then man. Don't force yourself to take it in June if you're not prepared. I know how you feel, "maybe I'll do very well on test day with what I've prepared for already". This was me last June and trust me, I didn't believe people but I wholeheartedly regret it.

Your takes are legit beyond precious, bro.

I was still planning on taking the Sept test but meh

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:28 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I hate life

y

Cuz i suk at lsat

Postpone to September then man. Don't force yourself to take it in June if you're not prepared. I know how you feel, "maybe I'll do very well on test day with what I've prepared for already". This was me last June and trust me, I didn't believe people but I wholeheartedly regret it.

Your takes are legit beyond precious, bro.

I was still planning on taking the Sept test but meh

you graduate soon, right? Study after grad, there isn't much else to do

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon May 01, 2017 9:32 pm

dj9i27 wrote:you graduate soon, right? Study after grad, there isn't much else to do

facts

that's a huge reason why I'm just gonna take in Sept and not June. More study time and I don't have to worry about school.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:36 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

What shape is the Earth?
[+] Spoiler
FLAT

But the oceans are round.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:26 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

What shape is the Earth?
[+] Spoiler
FLAT

Fake news

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:43 pm

chargers21 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

What shape is the Earth?
[+] Spoiler
FLAT

Fake news

Alternative facts

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?