The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

oopsu812

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:I'd do a JD/MPP or MPA if I knew what I'd do with it, lulz. :lol:

MPA?

Public Admin, but I'd much prefer public policy or even international affairs to that.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't seriously looked into H's MPP in international & global affairs. Def wouldn't get in tho. :/

Yeah, I've looked into a lot of them as well. I'd imagine the most attainable one would be Columbia JD/MIA. Columbia's SIPA is a great grad school. I think it's the tier right below Princeton Woodrow Wilson and Harvard Kennedy.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Grey day is basically the day LSAT scores are distributed, and it is done in literally the most stressful fashion lacking any discernable certainty.

After an unknown number of days waiting for your LSAT score (typically in the last few days of a reasonable window which you spend frantically checking for your score), icons will turn grey. This signifies scores are coming out. That said, they don't actually release your score then. Rather than now not knowing what day it is released, you have no idea when your score will be released that day. After some random period of time, you will receive your score (with others, in waves) possibly before everyone else or possibly after everyone else.

Even given what transpired in 2016, grey day is the single worst day.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:51 pm

34iplaw wrote:Grey day is basically the day LSAT scores are distributed, and it is done in literally the most stressful fashion lacking any discernable certainty.

After an unknown number of days waiting for your LSAT score (typically in the last few days of a reasonable window which you spend frantically checking for your score), icons will turn grey. This signifies scores are coming out. That said, they don't actually release your score then. Rather than now not knowing what day it is released, you have no idea when your score will be released that day. After some random period of time, you will receive your score (with others, in waves) possibly before everyone else or possibly after everyone else.

Even given what transpired in 2016, grey day is the single worst day.

I knew I did bad and had heart palpitations still for like 3 days. kinda fun in hindsight

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: all of the above

Ugh

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:29 pm

you guys remember how stressed sweettort was during gray day waiting :')

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Mikey wrote:you guys remember how stressed sweettort was during gray day waiting :')

:')
[+] Spoiler

N3v3r 4g3t

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:you guys remember how stressed sweettort was during gray day waiting :')

[+] Spoiler

N3v3r 4g3t

HAHAHAHAHA

aww.. they knew how stressed he was so they gave him another chance :')

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:I'd do a JD/MPP or MPA if I knew what I'd do with it, lulz. :lol:

MPA?

Public Admin, but I'd much prefer public policy or even international affairs to that.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't seriously looked into H's MPP in international & global affairs. Def wouldn't get in tho. :/

Yeah, I've looked into a lot of them as well. I'd imagine the most attainable one would be Columbia JD/MIA. Columbia's SIPA is a great grad school. I think it's the tier right below Princeton Woodrow Wilson and Harvard Kennedy.

Hmm. Is it more attainable for those of us who don't have extensive work experience? One of the pluses of HKS is you can apply as a 1L and your LSAT is accepted in place of a GRE (and HLS's get an admissions boost, I dunno how much of one) - but it does look like you can apply "at a later date" (whatever that means) at Columbia as well.

This would obv be pointless and I should stop thinking about it.

So from what I've seen in my limited amount of research, you can apply to all of them as a 1L, but for most of them you will need a GRE. They seem to put an emphasis on the quantitative section, so the LSAT wouldn't really replace that.

I think work experience is an obvious plus, but for example, Columbia's student average work experience is only 3 years. So not too different to law school. If you're interesting in the MIA (int affairs), I'd imagine international experience and language capabilities would be a big plus.

In fact, Columbia asks for a "QUANTITATIVE/LANGUAGE RÉSUMÉ/CV", lulz.

ETA: A lot of schools let you do a joint degree at a different school also. From Stanny website, "Stanford JD students also have pursued degrees with other universities. For example, Stanford JD students have pursued degrees at Harvard Kennedy School, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, and Princeton Woodrow Wilson School."

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Alexandros wrote:Lol yeah, no way I'd be able to get 3 years WE in international affairs before LS. Tbh all actual law + foreign policy type jobs are ridiculously unicorn anyways, and would involve a TS clearance which I wouldn't be able to get (at least not for some time).

Fortunately, both HLS and CLS at least seem to have a lot of law classes in int'l law, international security type stuff, and you can take electives outside of the law school, so should be sufficient for satisfying academic interests. :lol:

Sketchy Alex is sketchy. 8)

Yeah, that's the way to go I think. Idk, I wouldn't want to break up the flow of LS anyways. I'm just going to get the MIA before LS, lol.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

N3v3r 4g3t

HAHAHAHAHA

aww.. they knew how stressed he was so they gave him another chance :')

[+] Spoiler
SweetTort wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Seems like that's a wrap, folks. I'm still going with Monday but today would seem even more unlikely now. Exceptionally so.

Someone check on SweetTort.

Sweettort passed of a heart attack earlier today. We ask you to keep him in your thoughts.

[+] Spoiler
SweetTort wrote:I would like to apologize for the title. I didn't realize it would be taken as gray day trolling. My bad.

Guess it'll be Monday :/

<3

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Lol yeah, no way I'd be able to get 3 years WE in international affairs before LS. Tbh all actual law + foreign policy type jobs are ridiculously unicorn anyways, and would involve a TS clearance which I wouldn't be able to get (at least not for some time).

Fortunately, both HLS and CLS at least seem to have a lot of law classes in int'l law, international security type stuff, and you can take electives outside of the law school, so should be sufficient for satisfying academic interests. :lol:

Sketchy Alex is sketchy. 8)

Yeah, that's the way to go I think. Idk, I wouldn't want to break up the flow of LS anyways. I'm just going to get the MIA before LS, lol.

If in ref to clearance - Nah, just too many foreign connections. :(

That makes sense. I think you have a good plan.

I don't even know what type of foreign connections are ok and which are no bueno, because I have plenty, so maybe I should be worrying too, lol.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TedBuckland

Bronze

Postby TedBuckland » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Hey y'all. Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm retaking, and trying to get a study schedule developed. Looking to gain about 4 or 5 points and get in the 165 range.

So far, my plan is to do some sort of pithypike/7sage/lsat trainer hybrid, hitting LG really hard early and then move to LR, mixing in trying to find a workable RC method. Any advice or tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Anyone want my background? Never left the country, no foreign relatives, don't have a passport, and I don't think I even know anyone who lives in another country (because I'm considering Berkeley part of the US for this discussion)

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 pm

chargers21 wrote:Anyone want my background? Never left the country, no foreign relatives, don't have a passport, and I don't think I even know anyone who lives in another country (because I'm considering Berkeley part of the US for this discussion)

Sadly, that puts you in the majority of Americans.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:10 pm

chargers21 wrote:Anyone want my background? Never left the country, no foreign relatives, don't have a passport, and I don't think I even know anyone who lives in another country (because I'm considering Berkeley part of the US for this discussion)

[+] Spoiler

:wink:

Lucky you! You can work for the State department!

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

That's why I'm willing to trade. My easily cleared background will be wasted on biglaw.

Does being not worldly make me a special snowflake? Lol

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

That's why I'm willing to trade. My easily cleared background will be wasted on biglaw.

Just kidding around. :lol: I haven't been abroad much either aside from N California - Takes time and money that I don't usually have. :roll:

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Just kidding around. :lol: I haven't been abroad much either aside from N California - Takes time and money that I don't usually have. :roll:

Lots of rain in NoCal today, eh?
But yeah, no money for trips really. Driving to "SoCal" for spring break with a group of people and spending 300 total on gas/hotel/food for a week is my usual travel for the year.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:43 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

But yeah, no money for trips really. Driving to "SoCal" for spring break with a group of people and spending 300 total on gas/hotel/food for a week is my usual travel for the year.

Yeah, I know that feeling. Fortunately, there're a lot of amazing places you can drive to without leaving the country.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Yeah, I know that feeling. Fortunately, there're a lot of amazing places you can drive to without leaving the country.

I'm moving to a new state with a whole new set of adventures, so that's pretty cool!

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Welp, looking at the splitters from this cycle with << 25% GPA and >>75% LSATs, and there's a crazy amount of waitlists. If that isn't motivation to get above a 175...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?