The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

twiix

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 pm

I wish I put a fraction of the effort into applying to my UG as I am doing with LS. I didn't research anything, slopped apps together with as little effort as possible, and let my ACT/SAT scores carry me into schools in state. It's crazy looking back at it. You're expected to make life-altering decisions when you are 18 and only care about chasing girls and playing video games/sports. I had no fucking clue what I was getting myself into back then..if only we could have a redo :cry:

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:I wish I put a fraction of the effort into applying to my UG as I am doing with LS. I didn't research anything, slopped apps together with as little effort as possible, and let my ACT/SAT scores carry me into schools in state. It's crazy looking back at it. You're expected to make life-altering decisions when you are 18 and only care about chasing girls and playing video games/sports. I had no fucking clue what I was getting myself into back then..if only we could have a redo :cry:

UG doesn't matter that much. Going in-state and saving money is just as well imo.

Also UG admissions are elitist and subjective / blackbox as fuck so screw that. I graduated HS with strong numbers (or would have if I put any effort into the SAT) but I still wouldn't have stood a chance at a top school because of the shit quality of my high-school and my lack of fancy softs / extracurriculars / AP classes / "honors" / etc.

Hold up. There's a such thing as high school prestige?!

"Lulz, my little flower learned her SOH CAH TOA from a Maths PhD."

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:I wish I put a fraction of the effort into applying to my UG as I am doing with LS. I didn't research anything, slopped apps together with as little effort as possible, and let my ACT/SAT scores carry me into schools in state. It's crazy looking back at it. You're expected to make life-altering decisions when you are 18 and only care about chasing girls and playing video games/sports. I had no fucking clue what I was getting myself into back then..if only we could have a redo :cry:

UG doesn't matter that much. Going in-state and saving money is just as well imo.

Also UG admissions are elitist and subjective / blackbox as fuck so screw that. I graduated HS with strong numbers (or would have if I put any effort into the SAT) but I still wouldn't have stood a chance at a top school because of the shit quality of my high-school and my lack of fancy softs / extracurriculars / AP classes / "honors" / etc.

Prep schools and fancy private schools that send 90%+ of their class to Ivies and stuff are a thing. My HS didn't even have any EC offerings except for student council, had no honors or gifted programs, no advanced / AP classes, no support whatsoever offered for people who wanted to go to university instead of CC for trades. I was literally the only person in my graduating class that went straight to university, had to take the upper-level requirements online through distance ed because they weren't offered and whatnot. #foreverbitter

Dude the nice thing about schools in Northern California is that entrance is based entirely 100% on numbers, and (at least for many) there are clear cut-offs posted so you can predict whether or not you'll get in / decide whether or not you'll apply. The lack of required standardized testing to level the playing field is a problem but imo it's a lot fairer and more sensible than the BS that is UGs in the US. /rant

desperately trying to avoid studying.

Jesus Christ. So is there no state curriculum? Nothing to even things out between high schools? I knew there were private schools, where parents paid tuition and stuff, but I assumed there'd be no difference in the eyes of adcomms between public school A and public school B, lol.

Good thing I want dogs, not kids.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Alexandros wrote:

Also UG admissions are elitist and subjective / blackbox as fuck so screw that. I graduated HS with strong numbers (or would have if I put any effort into the SAT) but I still wouldn't have stood a chance at a top school because of the shit quality of my high-school and my lack of fancy softs / extracurriculars / AP classes / "honors" / etc. (sour grapes...)

Yeah - while I agree, I did have those opportunities presented to me. I went public HS, so I wasn't part of an ivy league funneling frenzy, but I basically had the attitude of "everyone goes to college and takes out loans". I was talking more in terms of scholarship instead of UG prestige.. I am satisfied with what I learned at my instate school, I just wish I was diligent in fighting for schololarships.

University of California, Berkeley, in Berkeley, California is a fine outstanding institution. Don't undermine accomplishments young grasshopper.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Speaking of dogs.. I get my new puppy in 3 weeks from the breeder. So so so so excited. She's adorable.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 pm

TWiiX wrote:Speaking of dogs.. I get my new puppy in 3 weeks from the breeder. So so so so excited. She's adorable.

I'm expecting pics in 3 weeks. What breed?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Speaking of dogs.. I get my new puppy in 3 weeks from the breeder. So so so so excited. She's adorable.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Also UG admissions are elitist and subjective / blackbox as fuck so screw that. I graduated HS with strong numbers (or would have if I put any effort into the SAT) but I still wouldn't have stood a chance at a top school because of the shit quality of my high-school and my lack of fancy softs / extracurriculars / AP classes / "honors" / etc. (sour grapes...)

Yeah - while I agree, I did have those opportunities presented to me. I went public HS, so I wasn't part of an ivy league funneling frenzy, but I basically had the attitude of "everyone goes to college and takes out loans". I was talking more in terms of scholarship instead of UG prestige.. I am satisfied with what I learned at my instate school, I just wish I was diligent in fighting for schololarships.

University of California, Berkeley, in Berkeley, California is a fine outstanding institution. Don't undermine accomplishments young grasshopper.

Ah yeah that makes sense.

I enjoyed my time at UC Berkeley in Berkeley, California.

PW me and Alex at Berk (my senior year c/o 2015)
[+] Spoiler

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Prep schools and fancy private schools that send 90%+ of their class to Ivies and stuff are a thing. My HS didn't even have any EC offerings except for student council, had no honors or gifted programs, no advanced / AP classes, no support whatsoever offered for people who wanted to go to university instead of CC for trades. I was literally the only person in my graduating class that went straight to university, had to take the upper-level requirements online through distance ed because they weren't offered and whatnot. #foreverbitter

Dude the nice thing about schools in Northern California is that entrance is based entirely 100% on numbers, and (at least for many) there are clear cut-offs posted so you can predict whether or not you'll get in / decide whether or not you'll apply. The lack of required standardized testing to level the playing field is a problem but imo it's a lot fairer and more sensible than the BS that is UGs in the US. /rant

desperately trying to avoid studying.

Jesus Christ. So is there no state curriculum? Nothing to even things out between high schools? I knew there were private schools, where parents paid tuition and stuff, but I assumed there'd be no difference in the eyes of adcomms between public school A and public school B, lol.

I was mostly referring to fancy private schools but I think certain public schools are better than others. mine was just a shitty one, tiny and in a very rural, low-income area (hence the lack of offerings and stuff).

Dogs >>>>>>>>>>>>> kids.

Ah alright, interesting. Like a lot of things, seems unfair that the rich have more access/benefits to special programmes, counseling, etc.

I'm glad this sentiment is growing more common. Dogs are the best creatures on Earth. I want 2 doggos eventually, no kids.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Just added "large Filipino community" to my pro list for Berk. :D :D :D

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 pm

I know a lot of people think he is edgy and not cool but I got Gavin McInnes's Death of Cool book and it is kinda a funny interesting read. Would recommend if you see it at at lib or book fair.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Just added "large Filipino community" to my pro list for Berk. :D :D :D

I'm the guy with the sunglasses in case anyone wants to out me.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Sup everyone. I checked into the June study group a looong while ago but it looks like I'll probably be taking the September LSAT. It was a lot more difficult to juggle school, work and lsat prep than I thought it'd be :(
On the upside I'm done with the PS bible books and semester's almost over so I can prep and drill as much as I need to during summer

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:Sup everyone. I checked into the June study group a looong while ago but it looks like I'll probably be taking the September LSAT. It was a lot more difficult to juggle school, work and lsat prep than I thought it'd be :(
On the upside I'm done with the PS bible books and semester's almost over so I can prep and drill as much as I need to during summer

yes.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 pm

I'm going to Berk and joining one of the urban dance teams, confirmed. I'll visit ya'll at Stanny.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
I'm the guy with the sunglasses in case anyone wants to out me.

I'm the second from the left. My name is Elle and my hair is ordinarily considerably more blonde. :)
#UCBerkeley4evr

I'm in the banana suit in the background. On the outside looking in.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:Sup everyone. I checked into the June study group a looong while ago but it looks like I'll probably be taking the September LSAT. It was a lot more difficult to juggle school, work and lsat prep than I thought it'd be :(

yes.

The struggle was truly real

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Chocolate Labradoodle. Gf is allergic, and these things dont shed whatsoever. Win-win since I hate vacuuming.

Here's the most recent picture of our little furball from the breeder

[+] Spoiler

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

yes.

The struggle was truly real

I was working 70-80 hours a week at my old job. I know the struggle lol. I quit and went somewhere else just to have a balance to study. I still wish I could quit and study full time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?