The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

[.
Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:45 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:
Alexandros wrote:1. Iz can study 4 GRE in dis Forum? (in addition to LSAT, obvz.)

wait if theres demand for this ill make a gre study group thread. bc im legit tryna take the gre soon

Can I be a score Czar?

RETAKE.

ETA: in response to the question, I'd be potentially interested, though, tbqh, I'd give about a 20% chance of me actually taking the GRE in the next five months. Iirc you were off to H - are you looking at a dual degree?

im a test prep tutor so I want to be able to get clients for the GRE in addition to the LSAT. first step is to take it and get a 99%tile score though.

Makes sense! Good luck!

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:49 pm

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:49 pm

[.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:53 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Sick relevant pun dude. As for your 175+ thing, if your goal is JUST the US a 165+ will get you lots of $$$ at some T1s; now if you're me you need that 175+ for the T13.

Cheers, if only puns were on the LSAT eh? The only reason I say 175ish is because long term I don't see myself working in Biglaw, which could very easily mean having to go back to Canada once the visa runs out. To me, that risk is only worth it if I can attend a school with some name recognition back home, preferably with lots of aid.

ALEX, WE FOUND YOU A FRIEND!
The tests do get a little cheeky at times, you'll notice it in the LR. Understandable reasons, I am really gunning for UVA with as much money as possible (45g a semester is the goal, Dillard is the dreampretty unlikely dream) so I am shooting high for a 177+. What is your goal school?

Well hopefully the September test plays right into the hands of my dad humour then :D All the best with UVA man, I'd consider going just for the weather tbh. Let's hope they show you the money. Assuming I can get the type of LSAT score I'm hoping for, I'd say yes to YS without much thought (unless they screwed me on aid), and I'd strongly consider CCN with substantial aid. Outside of that, I'm not too sure if it'd be worth it for me, because at that point I'd be walking into any Canadian school.

Y is like the hot girl in at the bar who won't pay attention to anyone and if she does choose you, you have to shell out $100 dollars worth of drinks just to get her number... What I'm trying to get at is Y is REALLY stingey with money, don't know much about S. All the T13 is really good for USA BL but I have zero clue how it would fare in Canada.

Don't you have to do a special program after your degree to be able to practice in Canada? I've only looked into this very marginally though. I think it might vary by province.

Y is actually the most generous of HYS by a fair margin. Even more so when you factor in CoL.

Rly? I didn't they gave out anything. New Haven has nothing ever but it is still #1 LS so, can't talk too much smack.

About 60% receive grant aid at Y (contra H's <50%) and the median grant per year is about 5k or so larger. Pretty sure CoL in New Haven is a decent amount lower than Cambridge (or Palo Alto), also.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:56 pm

[.
Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:58 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:About 60% receive grant aid at Y (contra H's <50%) and the median grant per year is about 5k or so larger. Pretty sure CoL in New Haven is a decent amount lower than Cambridge (or Palo Alto), also.

Well, I'm going to go sulk about Yehlelel now.

Me too, my dude, me too.

If I get into Yale Law School I will legally change my name to Hillary Rodham Clinton.
trying this strategy again.
plzzzz.

:cry:
Last edited by Alexandros on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Taking my cold diagnostic April 1st... let's hope I don't end up a fool. Really hoping for something in the 160s, because if I don't 175ish the LSAT then it'll knock out US schools for me I think.

Also ^^^ congrats on Harvard, that's incredible!

Sick relevant pun dude. As for your 175+ thing, if your goal is JUST the US a 165+ will get you lots of $$$ at some T1s; now if you're me you need that 175+ for the T13.

Cheers, if only puns were on the LSAT eh? The only reason I say 175ish is because long term I don't see myself working in Biglaw, which could very easily mean having to go back to Canada once the visa runs out. To me, that risk is only worth it if I can attend a school with some name recognition back home, preferably with lots of aid.

The tests do get a little cheeky at times, you'll notice it in the LR. Understandable reasons, I am really gunning for UVA with as much money as possible (45g a semester is the goal, Dillard is the dreampretty unlikely dream) so I am shooting high for a 177+. What is your goal school?

Well hopefully the September test plays right into the hands of my dad humour then :D All the best with UVA man, I'd consider going just for the weather tbh. Let's hope they show you the money. Assuming I can get the type of LSAT score I'm hoping for, I'd say yes to YS without much thought (unless they screwed me on aid), and I'd strongly consider CCN with substantial aid. Outside of that, I'm not too sure if it'd be worth it for me, because at that point I'd be walking into any Canadian school.

Y is like the hot girl in at the bar who won't pay attention to anyone and if she does choose you, you have to shell out $100 dollars worth of drinks just to get her number... What I'm trying to get at is Y is REALLY stingey with money, don't know much about S. All the T13 is really good for USA BL but I have zero clue how it would fare in Canada.

Don't you have to do a special program after your degree to be able to practice in Canada? I've only looked into this very marginally though. I think it might vary by province.

Y is actually the most generous of HYS by a fair margin. Even more so when you factor in CoL.

As far as I know (and I haven't looked into this a crazy amount), you have to take NCA examinations basically to say that your legal education is equivalent to a Canadian one, fulfill any province requirements (z.B. articling period in Ontario), and pass the bar. Ideally though, I'd just marry an American.

Regarding Yale, I was also under the impression they were generous both with aid and with their LRAP.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Sick relevant pun dude. As for your 175+ thing, if your goal is JUST the US a 165+ will get you lots of $$$ at some T1s; now if you're me you need that 175+ for the T13.

As far as I know (and I haven't looked into this a crazy amount), you have to take NCA examinations basically to say that your legal education is equivalent to a Canadian one, fulfill any province requirements (z.B. articling period in Ontario), and pass the bar. Ideally though, I'd just marry an American.

Regarding Yale, I was also under the impression they were generous both with aid and with their LRAP.

Yeah, I think COAP widely regarded as the best LRAP there is.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 pm

P

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:About 60% receive grant aid at Y (contra H's <50%) and the median grant per year is about 5k or so larger. Pretty sure CoL in New Haven is a decent amount lower than Cambridge (or Palo Alto), also.

Me too, my dude, me too.

If I get into Yale Law School I will legally change my name to Hillary Rodham Clinton.
plzzzz.

Be quiet Elle.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Ugh. Was fully intending on going to gym tonight but got about an hour and a half of sleep last night & am very fucking tired, and cannot do shit but shitpost when I'm this tired.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:10 pm

dj9i27 wrote:Just get Hamilton/Ruby/Vanderbilt/Darrow/Dillard/Levy/ Mordecai/etc. and you won't have to worry about LRAP

Yeah, a named scholarship would probably get me to consider most T13s. Even if I couldn't find love, I'd still have 0 debt (I'd have debt in Canada no matter what), and I'd be (hopefully) able to make a US Biglaw salary for a little while before going back with my pockets lined... Damn, you're putting ideas into my head.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:12 pm

[.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:15 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Me too, my dude, me too.

plzzzz.

Be quiet Elle.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:19 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Just get Hamilton/Ruby/Vanderbilt/Darrow/Dillard/Levy/ Mordecai/etc. and you won't have to worry about LRAP

Yeah, a named scholarship would probably get me to consider most T13s. Even if I couldn't find love, I'd still have 0 debt (I'd have debt in Canada no matter what), and I'd be (hopefully) able to make a US Biglaw salary for a little while before going back with my pockets lined... Damn, you're putting ideas into my head.

you've just said my plan lol. I don't mind being 50 grand or so before CoL in debt because that's a year payback living frugal. problem is my gpa isn't great sub 3.5 greater than 3.0, but lots of folks with my numbers or close have gotten serious money.

We better cash in before the GRE ruins everything.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:25 pm

[.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:27 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

you've just said my plan lol. I don't mind being 50 grand or so before CoL in debt because that's a year payback living frugal. problem is my gpa isn't great sub 3.5 greater than 3.0, but lots of folks with my numbers or close have gotten serious money.

This... Will be interesting to watch. Resident Mr. Meme aka 34 has speculated that it could make a high LSAT even more valuable.

Even for splitters?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:28 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

This... Will be interesting to watch. Resident Mr. Meme aka 34 has speculated that it could make a high LSAT even more valuable.

He did?
Explain yourself, Meme Master.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

He did?

Well, it all depends on a lot of moving parts, and there are really too many moving parts to know for certain.

That said, I think it's safe to assume the LSAT will be important in rankings for quite some time. Let us say all law schools start taking the GRE seriously but the LSAT is still critical for rankings. Either way, it seems like LSAT medians will likely keep some weight for some time, correct? I think this disincentivizes people to take the LSAT heavily, particularly among those with high GPAs that could probably score a 170+.

For example, let us take Alex 2.0 who is applying a year from now where any T14 will take competitive GREs. Alex probably would get a 170+, but why would he even risk it? Take the GRE (an easier test that has more flexibility), and you save the LSAT as a backup in the event you cannot crush the GRE. To me, this seems like totally reasonable calculus, and it is how I would approach it if I were in that position.

Who takes the LSAT? People that can't do well on the GRE (I suspect intelligent people who cannot do well on the GRE will not fare well on the LSAT). Number of LSAT takers drop and fewer high scorers.

Ultimately, I think reverse splitters are the people that are absolutely screwed by this change. They are just a GRE applicant that screws your LSAT median. Splitters will be hurt as well, but a lot of that depends on whether there is a decline in the number of people that take the LSAT.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:37 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

He did?

Well, it all depends on a lot of moving parts, and there are really too many moving parts to know for certain.

That said, I think it's safe to assume the LSAT will be important in rankings for quite some time. Let us say all law schools start taking the GRE seriously but the LSAT is still critical for rankings. Either way, it seems like LSAT medians will likely keep some weight for some time, correct? I think this disincentivizes people to take the LSAT heavily, particularly among those with high GPAs that could probably score a 170+.

For example, let us take Alex 2.0 who is applying a year from now where any T14 will take competitive GREs. Alex probably would get a 170+, but why would he even risk it? Take the GRE (an easier test that has more flexibility), and you save the LSAT as a backup in the event you cannot crush the GRE. To me, this seems like totally reasonable calculus, and it is how I would approach it if I were in that position.

Who takes the LSAT? People that can't do well on the GRE (I suspect intelligent people who cannot do well on the GRE will not fare well on the LSAT). Number of LSAT takers drop and fewer high scorers.

Ultimately, I think reverse splitters are the people that are absolutely screwed by this change. They are just a GRE applicant that screws your LSAT median. Splitters will be hurt as well, but a lot of that depends on whether there is a decline in the number of people that take the LSAT.

Make sense.

I'm guessing/hoping that the LSAT will retain importance and many people will continue to take it rather than the risky move of a GRE, and it'll just be some time before any major changes happen. plz

Also, re - a year from now (say 2018) any t14 will accept a competitive GRE - Is this a thing or an example?

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:41 pm

dj9i27 wrote:we also should keep in mind that just because the ABA MIGHT say it is okay for LS to take the GRE, it doesn't mean that they will.

Still, just another reason why I have a dislike for H. :evil:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?