The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:58 pm

My personalized Stanford PS will be a crumpled, teared-stained piece of paper that just says "STANNY PLZ."

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:04 pm

34iplaw wrote:
IMO, make sure it's more integrated than a simple tack on. It'll be fairly transparent, IMO.

I'm going to be super careful while writing these but also try to be as genuine as possible. I was reading how S really likes WE and a strong PS and I figure if I really push, I might break a denial wave or two.

Forewarning, I am going to be super crazy come late September/October. If I spam you all with PS's to review I am sorry.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:04 pm

Alexandros wrote:My personalized Stanford PS will be a crumpled, teared-stained piece of paper that just says "STANNY PLZ."

This worked
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/05/us/stanfo ... tter-trnd/

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:12 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
IMO, make sure it's more integrated than a simple tack on. It'll be fairly transparent, IMO.

I'm going to be super careful while writing these but also try to be as genuine as possible. I was reading how S really likes WE and a strong PS and I figure if I really push, I might break a denial wave or two.

Forewarning, I am going to be super crazy come late September/October. If I spam you all with PS's to review I am sorry.

It is fine. I tend to give fairly thorough remarks haha.

That's probably the way to go. Focus on having it being throughout. Talk about some experience and relate it to Stanford, some other experience and relate it to Stanford. I'd also just see what their optional essays allow for as well. Avoid the resume dump tho yo.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:14 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:My personalized Stanford PS will be a crumpled, teared-stained piece of paper that just says "STANNY PLZ."

This worked

"Stanford"

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:16 pm

34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

That's probably the way to go. Focus on having it being throughout. Talk about some experience and relate it to Stanford, some other experience and relate it to Stanford. I'd also just see what their optional essays allow for as well. Avoid the resume dump tho yo.

Since they don't interview, I know it is going to have to be air tight; along with the rest of my application.

Drafts 1-39 won't be great
Draft 100 will have to be Pulitzer worthy.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

This worked

"Stanford"

Please

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:21 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Since they don't interview, I know it is going to have to be air tight; along with the rest of my application.

Drafts 1-39 won't be great
Draft 100 will have to be Pulitzer worthy.

Yeah think I'm gonna personalize my PSs as well if I can manage to have it come out well. Def gonna start on the Why Xs this summer.

ugh when will real school end so I can be neurotic about law school in peace.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:42 pm

Writing a normal PS is hard enough, now you want to make it school-specific? Ya'll are crazy.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:51 pm

oopsu812 wrote:Writing a normal PS is hard enough, now you want to make it school-specific? Ya'll are crazy.

Yeah, I'm worried it might be hard to "tell my story in a compelling way" and bring up a bunch of specific stuff about a school at the same time. I think the former is more important than the latter if it comes down to it.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:59 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:Writing a normal PS is hard enough, now you want to make it school-specific? Ya'll are crazy.

Yeah, I'm worried it might be hard to "tell my story in a compelling way" and bring up a bunch of specific stuff about a school at the same time. I think the former is more important than the latter if it comes down to it.

I want my PS to be what lead me to want to go to LS, personal experiences, and why X school would foster a place for me to continue growing.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:02 am

I'm just hoping something will happen to me in the next 4-5 years so I'll have a story at all. :lol:

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:04 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I want my PS to be what lead me to want to go to LS, personal experiences, and why X school would foster a place for me to continue growing.

It's possible, but I'd be careful about making it actually meaningful. Then again, I haven't looked into hat would make Stanford particularly unique among top LSs.

victory

Bronze

Postby victory » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:29 am

checking in 100 pages late :oops:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:51 am

At work... Looking at Stanny... THEIR MEDIANS ARE DROPPING GUYS, MAYBE SPLITTERS... PLEASE

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:27 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I don't think it would be too hard to make school-specific statements. I think I'm going to do that. I mean all you're really changing is one paragraph, and even if you're applying to 20 schools, it won't take you a ridiculous amount of time to do that. The hardest part for me would be keeping track of them and making sure the right statement is going to the right school.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:28 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I don't think it would be too hard to make school-specific statements. I think I'm going to do that. I mean all you're really changing is one paragraph, and even if you're applying to 20 schools, it won't take you a ridiculous amount of time to do that. The hardest part for me would be keeping track of them and making sure the right statement is going to the right school.

CtrlF school name before you submit it.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:05 am

dj9i27 wrote:At work... Looking at Stanny... THEIR MEDIANS ARE DROPPING GUYS, MAYBE SPLITTERS... PLEASE

Woah best thing I've read this morning! Good way to start the day

$$$$$

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:06 am

Alexandros wrote:

You're doing this in your PS, or are you just saying in addition to PS you are going to write "Why -x" ?

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Postby CottonHarvest » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:22 am

I don't even have any idea on where to start on my personal statement. Like, how do you pick a topic?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:30 am

CottonHarvest wrote:I don't even have any idea on where to start on my personal statement. Like, how do you pick a topic?

I can see how this would be tough. For me, I had a very significant life experience at a young age that I'd be crazy not to write about (not gonna get into too much detail for anonymity's sake), but since then, my life has been pretty vanilla. If I couldn't write about what I'm writing about, I'd have a very hard time trying to compose something worth reading.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:31 am

Alexandros wrote:
calmike wrote:I took PT 57 yesterday. I did really well and I hope I am able to replicate it for my actual LSAT.

I am retaking LSAT which I scored 160.

I scored a 175. It was a 4 section PT. I timed myself.

LG -0
LR1 -3
LR2 -2
RC -1

I was surprised with how well I did with RC because I swear I was sort of making educated guesses with the last two passages. After Blind Reviewing LR's, I was able to correct 3 questions. I made a bubbling mistake in LR1.

My next PT will be on Tuesday. I will take PT 58. Tomorrow I will drill some games and RC's.

BRUH
Congrats!!!

Thanks! I am really trying. I dont care if I bomb and get a 165 but as long as I keep PTing this high haha

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:39 am

CottonHarvest wrote:I don't even have any idea on where to start on my personal statement. Like, how do you pick a topic?

I had a unique, but not prestigious, work experience for a law school applicant that I wrote about

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:40 am

oopsu812 wrote:I'm just hoping something will happen to me in the next 4-5 years so I'll have a story at all. :lol:

RT. :|

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 am

Alexandros wrote:

I lean towards doing a separate PS and Why X. I think school specific PSs only work well if you can tie your goals and life story well to a school's selling point (i.e. if you have been wanting to do PI all your life then you can mix your PS and Why NYU perfectly). Anything short of that will be basically squeezing a paragraph of school specific stuff in the already tight two pages for your PS (and making it hard to structure it coherently), in which case you might be better off just writing a Why X.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?