The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

abujabal

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby abujabal » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:12 am

chargers21 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote:And to complete my triple post. The guy or gal not looking for BL. You should still apply if you have the numbers. Those schools allow for great negotiations and open tons of doors that are closed otherwise in every single field. Long term payoff crushes from the t13 and that's why I'm going even though I naively wanted in state law school initially, i am going elsewhere

yo I think that's me you're referencing. IDK my main thing is I'm looking to settle/live/work in Seattle exclusively. So given how insular Seattle's market is, I figure there's no use wasting the money and time to apply to Northwestern or something if there's no chance that it'd get me a job at home.

I'm just saying, take the LSAT, look at your gpa, and evaluate where you are. Not familiar with that market but you might be able to kill it with ties and an upper t13 big money scholarship

I mean you're right, to be clear. I feel like I could PT above UW's 75th %ile without much hassle given the time between now and September. My main issue is my GPA is chilling at 3.2x, and even with 3 years work experience and a fellowship, it's not going to match up with people who have WE and higher GPAs. So worst case, I pay a not horrendous in-state sticker at a school that keeps me in the city I want to be in. Best case, I do some dope stuff on the September LSAT, get past that 165 75th percentile and into the 170s, and use that to get some scholarship money. I'm just not super convinced that the T14 is going to want me at 3.2+my location desires makes just putting it all into UW a solid play I think.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:50 am

abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote:And to complete my triple post. The guy or gal not looking for BL. You should still apply if you have the numbers. Those schools allow for great negotiations and open tons of doors that are closed otherwise in every single field. Long term payoff crushes from the t13 and that's why I'm going even though I naively wanted in state law school initially, i am going elsewhere

yo I think that's me you're referencing. IDK my main thing is I'm looking to settle/live/work in Seattle exclusively. So given how insular Seattle's market is, I figure there's no use wasting the money and time to apply to Northwestern or something if there's no chance that it'd get me a job at home.

I'm just saying, take the LSAT, look at your gpa, and evaluate where you are. Not familiar with that market but you might be able to kill it with ties and an upper t13 big money scholarship

I mean you're right, to be clear. I feel like I could PT above UW's 75th %ile without much hassle given the time between now and September. My main issue is my GPA is chilling at 3.2x, and even with 3 years work experience and a fellowship, it's not going to match up with people who have WE and higher GPAs. So worst case, I pay a not horrendous in-state sticker at a school that keeps me in the city I want to be in. Best case, I do some dope stuff on the September LSAT, get past that 165 75th percentile and into the 170s, and use that to get some scholarship money. I'm just not super convinced that the T14 is going to want me at 3.2+my location desires makes just putting it all into UW a solid play I think.

I think that makes sense. Seattle is very, very hard market to break and if you're not looking for biglaw UW with a $$$$ scholarship would give you time and opportunity to network + local connections, etc. unless you want non-Seattle Biglaw or "preftige" options, probably better than a $/sticker at a t14, and UW is a good school.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:07 am

Latest in re transaction BL :) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=275069 :)
probably not latest this is kind of old

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 am

New poll

Yes, it's LSAT related

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:23 am

Who voted intellectual challenge

Show yourself

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:28 am

Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
abujabal wrote:

I think that makes sense. Seattle is very, very hard market to break and if you're not looking for biglaw UW with a $$$$ scholarship would give you time and opportunity to network + local connections, etc. unless you want non-Seattle Biglaw or "preftige" options, probably better than a $/sticker at a t14, and UW is a good school.

Yeah, now that I know the gpa limitations UW seems like an even better option for your goals. T13 at sticker for that market would be wasted

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:28 am

Mikey wrote:New poll

Yes, it's LSAT related

I'm pretty confident the LSAC hates me.

LAW SCHOOL PREDICTOR IS THE MOST ACCURATE PREDICTOR.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:31 am

Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
abujabal wrote:

He can throw out a Stanny Mary. HYS have all taken 15X before so it is a long shot but not impossible, and the greatest predictor ever says HS are targets with a 3.2/180.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:17 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
abujabal wrote:

He can throw out a Stanny Mary. HYS have all taken 15X before so it is a long shot but not impossible, and the greatest predictor ever says HS are targets with a 3.2/180.

Yeah we'll see tbh. I think my softs aren't horrendous for WE, and 3 years out isn't a lot, but it's at least a little bit of a balance. Pretty convinced that I can do well on the LSAT. Re: jobs, I'm still figuring out what's attainable and what isn't, but the dream would be to work for the Public Defender's office or something to that extent. Not sure if that counts as "prestige" necessarily, but I feel like the pipeline for UW grads into the Seattle jobs is pretty established. But yeah, I have a miniscule degree of understanding of what jobs are hard to get and what is actually attainable. I mean I know BL in big cities is probably hardest+federal clerkships, but I have no understanding of the scale underneath.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:33 am

abujabal wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Yeah we'll see tbh. I think my softs aren't horrendous for WE, and 3 years out isn't a lot, but it's at least a little bit of a balance. Pretty convinced that I can do well on the LSAT. Re: jobs, I'm still figuring out what's attainable and what isn't, but the dream would be to work for the Public Defender's office or something to that extent. Not sure if that counts as "prestige" necessarily, but I feel like the pipeline for UW grads into the Seattle jobs is pretty established. But yeah, I have a miniscule degree of understanding of what jobs are hard to get and what is actually attainable. I mean I know BL in big cities is probably hardest+federal clerkships, but I have no understanding of the scale underneath.

You've distanced yourself from your gpa, I'll be 2 years out by LS time and lucked out with relevant WE (and graduated a little early because I went into college at 17 don't quote that part). The lsat isn't too bad, just don't get sick or freak the fuck out test day (hai).
If PD is the goal, strong state U will do it. For reference, 3.2 and 170 should pull a full ride a emory.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:25 pm

abujabal wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Yeah I think your situation is one where strong regional makes total sense.

By market hard to break I meant biglaw, so it would be a risky move going to a t14 hoping to break Seattle biglaw. UW with $$$ makes much more sense, imo.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Alexandros wrote:

Who was the lady who went to SLS, then SG post grad and finally taught at Oregon?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:25 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Who was the lady who went to SLS, then SG post grad and finally taught at Oregon?

No SG, but I think you're thinking of https://law.uoregon.edu/explore/mary-wood https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Christina_Wood

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

No SG, but I think you're thinking of https://law.uoregon.edu/explore/mary-wood https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Christina_Wood

Yep... life goal.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:33 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Yep... life goal.

+1000

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Yep... life goal.

+1000

So for a personalized PS, it is best to say why X school will cater to your legal study strengths and then cite professors and programs unique to the school

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:00 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Yep... life goal.

+1000

So for a personalized PS, it is best to say why X school will cater to your legal study strengths and then cite professors and programs unique to the school

dope.
are you talking about why X or personalized normal personal statement here?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Yep... life goal.

+1000

dope.

Since I'm thinking of my Stanny pipe dream and don't think they have a Why X, just a personalized PS.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:11 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Who was the lady who went to SLS, then SG post grad and finally taught at Oregon?

Yep... life goal.

+1000

dope.

Since I'm thinking of my Stanny pipe dream and don't think they have a Why X, just a personalized PS.

Ah ok.
Brb, gonna read an entire textbook.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Alex, did you choose intellectual challenge in the poll

I feel like you did, you gunner you

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Alex, did you choose intellectual challenge in the poll

I feel like you did, you gunner you

Of fucking course I did. Just to annoy y'all.

That and LR. Fuck LR.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Txt me if Yehl, thx & bai.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Alexandros wrote:Txt me if Yehl, thx & bai.

Stanny is Bae.

Stanford is going to be the one who matches you on tinder but never responded.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Alexandros wrote:Of fucking course I did. Just to annoy y'all.

That and LR. Fuck LR.

I feel betrayed

I thought we were all cool, but apparently we have someone who likes the LSAT in here. Hmmmm... I vote for Alex to be punished in front of the village... Perhaps a deletion of your official LSAT score.. :twisted:

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Of fucking course I did. Just to annoy y'all.

That and LR. Fuck LR.

I feel betrayed

I thought we were all cool, but apparently we have someone who likes the LSAT in here. Hmmmm... I vote for Alex to be punished in front of the village... Perhaps a deletion of your official LSAT score.. :twisted:

RC is the most exciting and rewarding intellectual exercise of the Law School Admission Test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?