The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
19%

Total votes: 47

oopsu812

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:09 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:The reason why I'm becoming more Preftige orientated is because if I pull S or H I don't there there will be that much of a price difference between the rest of the T13. I'd shell out 50g for the difference in rank and placement.

but s doesn't exist. Twilight Zone of schools

S is my ultimate black horse. Ugh.
plz Stanny I would help ur yield and ur LSAT median.

I thought Yehl was.

Yehl is hardly even an option lol.
I mean Y is clearly the better school imo (no shade at Stanford) but a lot more of a connection with S, dream school I've been to many times, etc.
it sux tho
they both do
*rips heart out*

I honestly feel like this is a common feeling. Yale is the absolute best, but there's not much about it to connect with, is there? Stanford just has a special feel. Disgustingly beautiful campus, gorgeous weather, top notch programmes of every type, impressive sports teams for such a small school, tiny class size, lay prestige out the wazoo, etc. etc.

Yeah ugh Stanford is amazing. for me a lot of it is location - N California is like a second home to me, spent a lot of time in Palo Alto, and being closer to the fam is starting to be a priority. also a top notch school. it's basically got everything rolled into one.

I've more or less given up on seriously considering S in my calculations though. which is fine because it sucks.

Yeah, I feel like QoL at Stanford is just ideal. I think I'd be happier there by far than most other schools, but I have no idea how much money that's worth, lol.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:11 am

LSN gave me a 0% chance at S..... Lol.

I don't remember if I posted it in her but Duke matched Michigan so I think I will be headed somewhere warmer than Chicago next year! 60K difference is enough to justify the lower ranked school, right?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:20 am

chargers21 wrote:LSN gave me a 0% chance at S..... Lol.

I don't remember if I posted it in her but Duke matched Michigan so I think I will be headed somewhere warmer than Chicago next year! 60K difference is enough to justify the lower ranked school, right?

Id say, I've been contemplating HS over a 60 grand differential but the gap between Chi and Duke while substantial, may not be worth it (factoring on CoL as well).

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:32 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

Id say, I've been contemplating HS over a 60 grand differential but the gap between Chi and Duke while substantial, may not be worth it (factoring on CoL as well).

Yeah, I would take Duke. Congrats! 8)

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Thanks! I think it's enough money to convince me to not sit 2 years for a retake. I likely wouldn't get the Mordecai so I would probably get like 120k by waiting. and the only school I really prefer over Duke that I'd have a chance at would be Harvard and that would be expensive anyways.

I also have a gpa and PT combo that would translate to my largest scholarship probably being from Michigan and I really don't want to go there after working my ass off for 2 extra years

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:20 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Thanks! I think it's enough money to convince me to not sit 2 years for a retake. I likely wouldn't get the Mordecai so I would probably get like 120k by waiting. and the only school I really prefer over Duke that I'd have a chance at would be Harvard and that would be expensive anyways.

I also have a gpa and PT combo that would translate to my largest scholarship probably being from Michigan and I really don't want to go there after working my ass off for 2 extra years

y u no mich?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:49 pm

After doing 30 minutes of research and figuring out S doesn't average LSATs and also I have a snowballs chance outside rather than in hell with good softs, I think I may gun for it.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:53 pm

dj9i27 wrote:After doing 30 minutes of research and figuring out S doesn't average LSATs and also I have a snowballs chance outside rather than in hell with good softs, I think I may gun for it.

If you figure out the secret to Stanford, let me know.

since I know you love LoRs, Stanny 'recommends' a Stanny-specific LoR. not a requirement and I dunno how big of a deal it is though.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:After doing 30 minutes of research and figuring out S doesn't average LSATs and also I have a snowballs chance outside rather than in hell with good softs, I think I may gun for it.

since I know you love LoRs, Stanny 'recommends' a Stanny-specific LoR. not a requirement and I dunno how big of a deal it is though.

What they mean? like a professor who went there or a professor writing a specific one geared towards Stanny?
I may be able to finesse the latter.

I doubt I'll be in but I'd take the average debt there if I did.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:02 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

What they mean? like a professor who went there or a professor writing a specific one geared towards Stanny?

Yeah, the latter. I've gathered it doesn't really matter if they have S connections or no, just a hoop to jump through - Just ask someone to make a second version of the LoR adding "Stanford" in a couple of places.

I have a higher debt tolerance and more love for preftige than I should, but imo I think HYS at 150k is justifiable.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Yeah, the latter. I've gathered it doesn't really matter if they have S connections or no, just a hoop to jump through - Just ask someone to make a second version of the LoR adding "Stanford" in a couple of places.

I have a higher debt tolerance and more love for preftige than I should, but imo I think HYS at 150k is justifiable.

What type of money would you turn down from other T13s?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I'm way more comfortable with 150g from HYS than CCN down, not sure why. I understand my 10% chance at S and maybe 25 at H but goddammit I'm going to push hard; maybe remote splitters kind of fade in their PS and not make it a priority but I know my softs are pretty good. inb4 dinged everywhere.

there was a few people on LSN and other sketch sites that had 3.4-3.6 pull S with 177+s. Stanny little grad residence looks amazing.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:09 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Alex will have a few named in there which will be a debate. people with my numbers get close to full from T13 or maybe a 50g difference from HS; if I were faced with a 50 differential to hell with it.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:11 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I think HYS is justifiable at 150k over fulls at lower t13 and a few choice schools that I don't like that much

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:13 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I'm not going to worry about that hypothetical until I actually end up facing it. It'll depend on my goals and stuff which aren't very clear atm.

I would probably take Y at less than or equal to 150k over almost anything but I won't defend that as a fiscally responsible decision.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I'm not going to worry about that hypothetical until I actually end up facing it. It'll depend on my goals and stuff which aren't very clear atm.

I would probably take Y at less than or equal to 150k over almost anything but I won't defend that as a fiscally responsible decision.

People take cooley and Florida Costal at sticker.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:18 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I'm way more comfortable with 150g from HYS than CCN down, not sure why. I understand my 10% chance at S and maybe 25 at H but goddammit I'm going to push hard; maybe remote splitters kind of fade in their PS and not make it a priority but I know my softs are pretty good. inb4 dinged everywhere.

there was a few people on LSN and other sketch sites that had 3.4-3.6 pull S with 177+s. Stanny little grad residence looks amazing.

It's ~$700/month for a room in the 4 bedroom which isn't bad at all imo. A lot less than you'd be paying at a NYC school probably.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

It's ~$700/month for a room in the 4 bedroom which isn't bad at all imo. A lot less than you'd be paying at a NYC school probably.

and you get your own bathroom, it's right next to campus. too bad I won't get it! (lemme find my gif)

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:20 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Alex will have a few named in there which will be a debate. people with my numbers get close to full from T13 or maybe a 50g difference from HS; if I were faced with a 50 differential to hell with it.

Yeah I think I agree with you. As an intl I would probably also pay a small premium for schools with intl lay prestige. Not sure how much though.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:20 pm

chargers21 wrote:Michigan is cold without the UChicago preftige and the Cubs :mrgreen: plus lesser placement and no natural market. Duke doesn't count as not having a market because it dominates the south

Who wins THE south UVA, Duke, Vandy or UT?

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:21 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Michigan is cold without the UChicago preftige and the Cubs :mrgreen: plus lesser placement and no natural market. Duke doesn't count as not having a market because it dominates the south

Duke cuz of the lay prestige and sports

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:21 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
[+] Spoiler

meme of the month, school of the month

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:22 pm

proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Duke cuz of the lay prestige and sports

In my area (Cali) I feel like Vandy would pull as much as duke to plebs.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?