The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

oopsu812

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:45 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:People come up with the most bizarre, creative explanations to justify preftige over $$$. At a certain point I think you should just admit that H/whatever has a strong emotional valence for you and you like that people will be impressed, instead of saying it's because you have a "gut feeling" that H offers such and such benefits despite being backed up by no empirical data whatsoever. Also, that kind of logic is frankly really worrying to see in someone who wants to go into law.

Anyhoo sorry for off-topic spamming this thread today. Carry on, folks.

oh, me picking H would be simply because of the name for the most part. At least I'm willing to admit that, though :lol: But I wouldn't pick H at sticker over any of the t13 schools with a full I don't think

I wouldn't pick H over a full ride at a T13. Stanny and Yale, especially Yale, would be a much much harder decision.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I feel like I have monthly internal conflicts about my urge to "fight the good fight" and do public interest work along with my desire to have a nice ass salary and pay off my loan debt ASAP (aka go into BL).

I kinda felt the same way. But I think after a few years of BL you can try to do something with some meaning. I tried to base my career after UG on what was in my heart and trying to do something significant and helpful for other people...I failed. So I'm gonna pick with my head this time and try to "fight the good fight" after I've paid off loans and made some money.

As much as I would like to "do the right thing" and help people, in the world we live in, I've realized that I have to put my well being above other peoples. I'll have loans to pay off, and bills to pay, so that is going to be my priority as bad as it may seem. Hail Corporate :roll:

Same time, QoL in BL can be (and usually is) pretty terrible and soul-sucking. Twix, I know you've worked these hours so you know you can handle it, but a lot of people come in thinking it'll be nbd or that they'll be the exception, and get sucked into a career they hate that afford no work-life balance.

Also, MAB - I've gathered that lateraling out of BL into PI requires careful planning for LS day 1. PI jobs are usually difficult to come by, and people with experience and proven interest in the field will get priority.

Yeah for sure. I definitely see where you're coming from. I've read the horror stores, I've read the vale. Doesn't seem any/much worse than what I worked before. With that being said, by the time I get there I will likely be having kids (or already have had a kid) so I'm sure that drastically changes things. I'll likely aim to work a few years to get my experience (and chunk my debt down - if applicable) then transfer out to a private company. I have plans of doing IP so finding in house work shouldn't be too bad.

Who knows. Maybe I'll stick it out in BL. I found fulfillment in working those ridiculous hours in some crazy neurotic way. I just hate debt. And I can't imagine trying to pay it back doing a midwest 70k/year job if you have 200k on your plate. It would consume you.

It sounds like you have a good plan going.

ETA: most schools have LRAP programs (at least the top ones do), so you usually won't have pay back the 200k assuming you're in eligible employment.

Not convinced LRAP will look the same by the end of this administration, but one can hope lol

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:00 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
I kinda felt the same way. But I think after a few years of BL you can try to do something with some meaning. I tried to base my career after UG on what was in my heart and trying to do something significant and helpful for other people...I failed. So I'm gonna pick with my head this time and try to "fight the good fight" after I've paid off loans and made some money.

As much as I would like to "do the right thing" and help people, in the world we live in, I've realized that I have to put my well being above other peoples. I'll have loans to pay off, and bills to pay, so that is going to be my priority as bad as it may seem. Hail Corporate :roll:

Same time, QoL in BL can be (and usually is) pretty terrible and soul-sucking. Twix, I know you've worked these hours so you know you can handle it, but a lot of people come in thinking it'll be nbd or that they'll be the exception, and get sucked into a career they hate that afford no work-life balance.

Also, MAB - I've gathered that lateraling out of BL into PI requires careful planning for LS day 1. PI jobs are usually difficult to come by, and people with experience and proven interest in the field will get priority.

Yeah for sure. I definitely see where you're coming from. I've read the horror stores, I've read the vale. Doesn't seem any/much worse than what I worked before. With that being said, by the time I get there I will likely be having kids (or already have had a kid) so I'm sure that drastically changes things. I'll likely aim to work a few years to get my experience (and chunk my debt down - if applicable) then transfer out to a private company. I have plans of doing IP so finding in house work shouldn't be too bad.

Who knows. Maybe I'll stick it out in BL. I found fulfillment in working those ridiculous hours in some crazy neurotic way. I just hate debt. And I can't imagine trying to pay it back doing a midwest 70k/year job if you have 200k on your plate. It would consume you.

It sounds like you have a good plan going.

ETA: most schools have LRAP programs (at least the top ones do), so you usually won't have pay back the 200k assuming you're in eligible employment.

Not convinced LRAP will look the same by the end of this administration, but one can hope lol

I think a lot of t14s are talking about implementing independent programs in the event PSLF is cut, but yeah one should definitely think about that.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Shit. what am I doing. need to study. OK BYE.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:10 pm

earlyfrost wrote:I've been getting -0/-1 on LG untimed. I haven't done LG timed yet, but I know I won't be doing as well. What does my untimed score tell me so far about how I will do with LG overall?

It shows you can think in the way required to understand games. Speed will come. It's a good sign but you may still have work cut out for you.

frenchlavender wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
frenchlavender wrote:Hi Guys!
Will be taking the Sept LSAT too. Just wondering, if I have a 3.52 GPA and I want to go to GULC, what would you consider a "safe" LSAT range or score? :roll: :D

Given your GPA, you'll probably be able to swing a better law school than GULC with the LSAT you'll need.

Go to mylsn plug in your GPA +/-.05 and select range 162-168 then 169-175.

checked it out and that was very helpful. thanks! Would be awesome if I get 170+!

Glad to help. You can use 180pedia.com/every-lsat-practice-test to find explanations easily that are either hosted there or quick links to Manhattan prep powerscore 7Sage lsathacks and velocitylsat! Don't set yourself on GULC necessarily. Better schools will be within reach for near the LSAT you will need to overcome your UGPA.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Not to start off-topic shitposting again, but honestly if you're over 18 you really shouldn't wear a backpack.

That's all. Have a nice day.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Alexandros wrote:Not to start off-topic shitposting again, but honestly if you're over 18 you really shouldn't wear a backpack.

NO

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:29 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Not to start off-topic shitposting again, but honestly if you're over 18 you really shouldn't wear a backpack.

NO

I hope that's a NO in agreement or I really don't know if we can be friends anymore, Protein.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Awks, I graduated college and am well over 18 and I still use a backpack. I mean... what else are you supposed to use?

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Screw that. I commute 1hr + to campus and often stay there the whole day. I need something big enough for my laptop, multiple text books/course packs, food, etc.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Alexandros wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

NO

I hope that's a NO in agreement or I really don't know if we can be friends anymore, Protein.

[+] Spoiler

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:38 pm

clueless801 wrote:

Awks, I graduated college and am well over 18 and I still use a backpack. I mean... what else are you supposed to use?

https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... Zm1Mabm7TU

You look a grown-up *and* don't take everyone in the vicinity out by wacking them with your backpack. :)

Being said, I will begrudgingly accept back/shoulder problems and/or long commutes as legitimate excuses. Or hiking. Don't take a briefcase hiking, that's weird.
Last edited by Alexandros on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:41 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

NO

[+] Spoiler

DELETE UR ACCOUNT.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm actually slightly ashamed of going through GMAT/GRE math books. Yeah, I get it preteen at Starbucks - you know this shit too.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:

You look a grown-up *and* don't take everyone in the vicinity out by wacking them with your backpack. :)

Being said, I will begrudgingly accept back/shoulder problems and/or long commutes as legitimate excuses. Or hiking. Don't take a briefcase hiking, that's weird.

Even to classes? How does one not use a backpack while in college? (Also, I'm thoroughly enjoying dissecting when you think it's appropriate to use a backpack.)

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 pm

34iplaw wrote:I'm actually slightly ashamed of going through GMAT/GRE math books. Yeah, I get it preteen at Starbucks - you know this shit too.

They'll realise it when they're older (like I did), but you just forget that stuff. It's not hard, but you won't retain it long-term.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Guys he doesn't want to get his fedora dirty when it rubs against his backpack.. I get it.

Backpacks are great. A nice canvas/leather backpack really compliments outfits well, and definitely looks mature enough to pull off.

[+] Spoiler
[img]https://images.bloomingdales.com/is/image/BLM/?$2014_BROWSE_FASHION$&$b=BLM/products/&cropN=0,0,2,1&layer=0&src=is{$b$1/optimized/9384521_fpx.tif}&anchor=0,0&layer=1&posN=0.5,0&src=is{$b$5/optimized/9442195_fpx.tif}&anchor=0,0&layer=2&posN=1.0,0&wid=472[/img]

or

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm

clueless801 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:

Even to classes? How does one not use a backpack while in college? (Also, I'm thoroughly enjoying dissecting when you think it's appropriate to use a backpack.)

I dunno, I have more than enough room for laptop, notebooks, a textbook, planner, water bottle, snack, chargers (not the TLSer), etc. in my shoulder bag thing. Also looks way more suave tbh. Granted, I live very close to campus so should check my privilege.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:

I dunno, I have more than enough room for laptop, notebooks, a textbook, planner, water bottle, snack, chargers (not the TLSer), etc. in my shoulder bag thing. Also looks way more suave tbh. Granted, I live very close to campus so should check my privilege.

:mrgreen:

But on the realz, I'm a backpacker. To class and camping/hunting/hiking.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm

TWiiX wrote:Guys he doesn't want to get his fedora dirty when it rubs against his backpack.. I get it.

Backpacks are great. A nice canvas/leather backpack really compliments outfits well, and definitely looks mature enough to pull off.

[+] Spoiler
[img]https://images.bloomingdales.com/is/image/BLM/?$2014_BROWSE_FASHION$&$b=BLM/products/&cropN=0,0,2,1&layer=0&src=is{$b$1/optimized/9384521_fpx.tif}&anchor=0,0&layer=1&posN=0.5,0&src=is{$b$5/optimized/9442195_fpx.tif}&anchor=0,0&layer=2&posN=1.0,0&wid=472[/img]

or

But see, you could fit just as much into something like this, and be 100x cooler while you're at it.
[+] Spoiler

I've made it my personal mission to convert all of you from the heathenish ways of backpack wearing.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:

Eh. I used a backpack when living on campus too. A purse didn't seem functional enough to warrant it replacing a backpack. Also... suave? I feel as if you and I have very different definitions of what looks suave because a shoulder bag is not it. But to each their own and whatever works for you!

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:05 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:

:mrgreen:

But on the realz, I'm a backpacker. To class and camping/hunting/hiking.

Going backpacking with just a carry-on sized bag was the best thing to happen to me. I've spent so much less money on clothes since.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Alexandros wrote:I've made it my personal mission to convert all of you from the heathenish ways of backpack wearing.

I'll concede that by a certain age and level of career, backpacks are unacceptable... I dunno like starting at your mid-30s when you're too old to do "young" stuff. Anytime before then just makes you unfashionable.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:07 pm

clueless801 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
clueless801 wrote:

Eh. I used a backpack when living on campus too. A purse didn't seem functional enough to warrant it replacing a backpack. Also... suave? I feel as if you and I have very different definitions of what looks suave because a shoulder bag is not it. But to each their own and whatever works for you!

I don't understand using something expensive either. My backpack has gone through it, and has seen some things. I've seen so many girls using Michael Kors totes as their school bag, and I think it's mad. I'll stick to my cheap, but huge and sturdy Adidas backpack, thank you very much.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:13 pm

They do make attractive backpacks too.

Hershel makes some nice ones and you can get a leather one if you want it to look more adult. In the end, you need something comfortable if you're lugging it around.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?