The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Can you deposit and accept a scholarship, then withdraw later?
Like let's say you had a Ruby and hadn't heard back from Yale by the Ruby deadline - Could you accept the Ruby, but keep your app in at Y and withdraw from Chi later if you're accepted?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I feel like I have monthly internal conflicts about my urge to "fight the good fight" and do public interest work along with my desire to have a nice ass salary and pay off my loan debt ASAP (aka go into BL).
I kinda felt the same way. But I think after a few years of BL you can try to do something with some meaning. I tried to base my career after UG on what was in my heart and trying to do something significant and helpful for other people...I failed. So I'm gonna pick with my head this time and try to "fight the good fight" after I've paid off loans and made some money.
As much as I would like to "do the right thing" and help people, in the world we live in, I've realized that I have to put my well being above other peoples. I'll have loans to pay off, and bills to pay, so that is going to be my priority as bad as it may seem. Hail Corporate :roll:
Same time, QoL in BL can be (and usually is) pretty terrible and soul-sucking. Twix, I know you've worked these hours so you know you can handle it, but a lot of people come in thinking it'll be nbd or that they'll be the exception, and get sucked into a career they hate that afford no work-life balance.

Also, MAB - I've gathered that lateraling out of BL into PI requires careful planning for LS day 1. PI jobs are usually difficult to come by, and people with experience and proven interest in the field will get priority.
Yeah for sure. I definitely see where you're coming from. I've read the horror stores, I've read the vale. Doesn't seem any/much worse than what I worked before. With that being said, by the time I get there I will likely be having kids (or already have had a kid) so I'm sure that drastically changes things. I'll likely aim to work a few years to get my experience (and chunk my debt down - if applicable) then transfer out to a private company. I have plans of doing IP so finding in house work shouldn't be too bad.

Who knows. Maybe I'll stick it out in BL. I found fulfillment in working those ridiculous hours in some crazy neurotic way. I just hate debt. And I can't imagine trying to pay it back doing a midwest 70k/year job if you have 200k on your plate. It would consume you.
It sounds like you have a good plan going.
ETA: most schools have LRAP programs (at least the top ones do), so you usually won't have pay back the 200k assuming you're in eligible employment.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Alexandros wrote:Can you deposit and accept a scholarship, then withdraw later?
Like let's say you had a Ruby and hadn't heard back from Yale by the Ruby deadline - Could you accept the Ruby, but keep your app in at Y and withdraw from Chi later if you're accepted?
Yessir. Open apps and waitlists cannot be forced to withdraw from per ABA rules

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:44 pm

chargers21 wrote:
nice. So the only real cost there would be the cost of putting down the seat deposit?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
nice. So the only real cost there would be the cost of putting down the seat deposit?
Correct. A few hundred is a drop in the bucket of the coveted YEHL preftige. You'll probably be handed more than your seat deposit just by walking down the streets in your new swagged out YEHLLS hoodie.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:22 pm

TBH, I'm looking forward to crazy hours. I'm honestly a lot happier when I'm really busy.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Ok, another question: Can you deposit for the scholly and keep other *acceptances* open?

Let's say you had a Ruby but were still waiting on need-based aid info at HYS - Could you accept the Ruby but stay in at HYS to see what you'd get for aid?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Alexandros wrote:Ok, another question: Can you deposit for the scholly and keep other *acceptances* open?

Let's say you had a Ruby but were still waiting on need-based aid info at HYS - Could you accept the Ruby but stay in at HYS to see what you'd get for aid?
PM someone with a ruby and ask for the details on that I suppose. It differs from place to place

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:41 pm

34iplaw wrote:TBH, I'm looking forward to crazy hours. I'm honestly a lot happier when I'm really busy.
I am too, but I have to be real that I haven't experienced anything like BL. Everyone in BL can be assumed to have experienced the stress of getting excellent grades in UG, slaying the LSAT, and making it through LS, usually in addition to work experience/extracurriculars/soft factors, but most (or many) seriously struggle with the BL lifestyle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi Guys!
Will be taking the Sept LSAT too. Just wondering, if I have a 3.52 GPA and I want to go to GULC, what would you consider a "safe" LSAT range or score? :roll: :D

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:43 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Ok, another question: Can you deposit for the scholly and keep other *acceptances* open?

PM someone with a ruby and ask for the details on that I suppose. It differs from place to place
Lol k. Will do that in the .0001% chance I get a Ruby. :lol:

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:46 pm

frenchlavender wrote:Hi Guys!
Will be taking the Sept LSAT too. Just wondering, if I have a 3.52 GPA and I want to go to GULC, what would you consider a "safe" LSAT range or score? :roll: :D
Given your GPA, you'll probably be able to swing a better law school than GULC with the LSAT you'll need.

Go to mylsn plug in your GPA +/-.05 and select range 162-168 then 169-175.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:46 pm

170+
Shoot for 180 though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:TBH, I'm looking forward to crazy hours. I'm honestly a lot happier when I'm really busy.
I am too, but I have to be real that I haven't experienced anything like BL. Everyone in BL can be assumed to have experienced the stress of getting excellent grades in UG, slaying the LSAT, and making it through LS, usually in addition to work experience/extracurriculars/soft factors, but most (or many) seriously struggle with the BL lifestyle.
I dunno. Everyone I know from BL is fine. I think a lot of people get disenchanted with their first job in general for a slew of reasons including, I kid you not, feeling underpaid. OK kid making 6x the median household income 3-4 years in your first job.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Lol k. Will do that in the 99% chance I get a Ruby. :lol:
fixed

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Alexandros wrote:
I think that UG and BL/Workforce isn't really comparable. I'm not discrediting you or saying you aren't cut out for it by any means, but I wouldn't say anything in my schooling prepared for the exasperation that the workforce places on you. With UG you are given deadlines, they are posted ahead of time, and you are given criteria for success. Your success in the real world isn't as clear cut. Your schedule for projects or deadlines will change just because some asshat wants them to. This will be intentional and to make you look bad. Aint shit you can do. Different people will measure your successes or shortfalls extremely differently. Some of the time you will have good managers and they will be fair. Other times you might exceed the expectations that were in place, just to be thrown under the bus to make someone else look good who artificially inflates expectations. It's incredibly draining SOLELY for the fact that you now have to work with idiots. Before, in school, you managed your own shit and you basically controlled your own destiny. Studying for tests, knowing materials, and turning in homework/assignments guaranteed success. If only it were that easy :shock:

And I also agree that I am looking forward to just being busy. I hate having nothing to do at my current job where there are periods of huge downtime.. which results in trolling TLS (lol)

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:01 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
I dunno. Everyone I know from BL is fine. I think a lot of people get disenchanted with their first job in general for a slew of reasons including, I kid you not, feeling underpaid. OK kid making 6x the median household income 3-4 years in your first job.
Yeah, impossible to have quantitative information here. I'm just going off of what people on TLS say, obviously, and it's usually not the most encouraging.

(Obviously not saying you'd have trouble or don't know what it's like - You've had significant work experience and are self-aware. Speaking more for myself / as a general observation. )

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

earlyfrost

New

Post by earlyfrost » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:02 pm

I've been getting -0/-1 on LG untimed. I haven't done LG timed yet, but I know I won't be doing as well. What does my untimed score tell me so far about how I will do with LG overall?

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:04 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Given your GPA, you'll probably be able to swing a better law school than GULC with the LSAT you'll need.

Go to mylsn plug in your GPA +/-.05 and select range 162-168 then 169-175.
checked it out and that was very helpful. thanks! Would be awesome if I get 170+!

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Alexandros wrote:
170+
Shoot for 180 though.
Shooting for 170 right now haha, obv the higher the better. 180 to me seems like a dream though haha

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:07 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
I think that UG and BL/Workforce isn't really comparable. I'm not discrediting you or saying you aren't cut out for it by any means, but I wouldn't say anything in my schooling prepared for the exasperation that the workforce places on you. With UG you are given deadlines, they are posted ahead of time, and you are given criteria for success. Your success in the real world isn't as clear cut. Your schedule for projects or deadlines will change just because some asshat wants them to. This will be intentional and to make you look bad. Aint shit you can do. Different people will measure your successes or shortfalls extremely differently. Some of the time you will have good managers and they will be fair. Other times you might exceed the expectations that were in place, just to be thrown under the bus to make someone else look good who artificially inflates expectations. It's incredibly draining SOLELY for the fact that you now have to work with idiots. Before, in school, you managed your own shit and you basically controlled your own destiny. Studying for tests, knowing materials, and turning in homework/assignments guaranteed success. If only it were that easy :shock:

And I also agree that I am looking forward to just being busy. I hate having nothing to do at my current job where there are periods of huge downtime.. which results in trolling TLS (lol)
That is exactly my point. People go through XYZ (UG, LS, etc) and find BL isn't at all comparable. I enjoy being busy and have been able to handle stress in the past, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought that was at all indicative of my ability to handle BL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:10 pm

earlyfrost wrote:I've been getting -0/-1 on LG untimed. I haven't done LG timed yet, but I know I won't be doing as well. What does my untimed score tell me so far about how I will do with LG overall?
I think you'll be fine as long as "untimed" doesn't mean you're taking 1.5 hours for 4 games

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:12 pm

earlyfrost wrote:I've been getting -0/-1 on LG untimed. I haven't done LG timed yet, but I know I won't be doing as well. What does my untimed score tell me so far about how I will do with LG overall?
Untimed shows your ability to understand and do the section. Timing comes with practice and lots of repetition. The way games are set up is used from test to test, just with different words/objects/etc. So once you get used to certain games you will undoubtedly be able to do them quicker and quicker.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:23 pm

People come up with the most bizarre, creative explanations to justify preftige over $$$. At a certain point I think you should just admit that H/whatever has a strong emotional valence for you and you like that people will be impressed, instead of saying it's because you have a "gut feeling" that H offers such and such benefits despite being backed up by no empirical data whatsoever. Also, that kind of logic is frankly really worrying to see in someone who wants to go into law.

Anyhoo sorry for off-topic spamming this thread today. Carry on, folks.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Alexandros wrote:People come up with the most bizarre, creative explanations to justify preftige over $$$. At a certain point I think you should just admit that H/whatever has a strong emotional valence for you and you like that people will be impressed, instead of saying it's because you have a "gut feeling" that H offers such and such benefits despite being backed up by no empirical data whatsoever. Also, that kind of logic is frankly really worrying to see in someone who wants to go into law.

Anyhoo sorry for off-topic spamming this thread today. Carry on, folks.
oh, me picking H would be simply because of the name for the most part. At least I'm willing to admit that, though :lol: But I wouldn't pick H at sticker over any of the t13 schools with a full I don't think

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”