The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Mikey wrote:Excuse me everyone,

I hate to break up the party, but I was wondering if any of you lovely people would like to take my LSAT for me because RC progress is a no show.

Not paying for these services, monetarily speaking.. Other favors can be arranged, but please nothing inappropriate.

Thanks for your time (:

34iplaw wrote: call in

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Unsure about these shades.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Alexandros wrote:Unsure about these shades.

sunglasses?

edit just noticed and lold

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:59 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

sunglasses?

:lol:

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:03 pm

proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

sunglasses?

haha - fantastic. I feel like clubmasters would work great on your face.

good job though pretty tight placement

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:07 pm

34iplaw wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

sunglasses?

haha - fantastic. I feel like clubmasters would work great on your face.

good job though pretty tight placement

I'm struggling. help me meme master.

who knew how difficult it would be to get blingee shades on an Alexander the Great statue to fit right.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Weeeeeeeeerk

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:13 pm

This is definitely a productive use of my time.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Alexandros wrote:This is definitely a productive use of my time.

Definitely.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Shutter shades 8)

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:07 am

Not to be a bore and ask an actual study prep question, but I'm going to be lame like that:

Y'all I have no idea what I'm doing because I happily have taken 2 years after undergrad to do my thing and now I don't know what tests are anymore. Took the June 2007 in the middle seat of a cross-country flight, got 158 and figured "well shit, how hard can another 12 points be"?

So now I'm trying to set up from scratch for September and I don't know what to do. I know I'm going to buy The LSAT Trainer, and maybe probably the Powerscore Bibles. Should I be tossing Manhattan's LSATx3 into there? That costs a lot of money, but I'm down if y'all are about to say "oh my god yes are you stupid buy everything". I'm skipping the Official Superprep because that just seems to be PTs 62 and 63 and that's about it. Also through the generosity of previous takers in my network, I have copies of PTs 1-61+74, so I only will be buying Actuals62-71, and then the individuals.

So where does that leave me? I'm coming in completely cold here. I'm feeling like I take PTs 1-28 regularly for a month and then start going HAM on LSAT Trainer and supplementing with Powerscore+a PT every Saturday until September 16? Is that too little? Too much? I'm trying to split at a state school (U Washington), so I don't need a 180, but I'm splitting so I'm aiming for a 180.

Also y'all shitpost at the speed of light is this what 1L is going to be like? :D

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:16 am

abujabal wrote:Not to be a bore and ask an actual study prep question, but I'm going to be lame like that:

Y'all I have no idea what I'm doing because I happily have taken 2 years after undergrad to do my thing and now I don't know what tests are anymore. Took the June 2007 in the middle seat of a cross-country flight, got 158 and figured "well shit, how hard can another 12 points be"?

So now I'm trying to set up from scratch for September and I don't know what to do. I know I'm going to buy The LSAT Trainer, and maybe probably the Powerscore Bibles. Should I be tossing Manhattan's LSATx3 into there? That costs a lot of money, but I'm down if y'all are about to say "oh my god yes are you stupid buy everything". I'm skipping the Official Superprep because that just seems to be PTs 62 and 63 and that's about it. Also through the generosity of previous takers in my network, I have copies of PTs 1-61+74, so I only will be buying Actuals62-71, and then the individuals.

So where does that leave me? I'm coming in completely cold here. I'm feeling like I take PTs 1-28 regularly for a month and then start going HAM on LSAT Trainer and supplementing with Powerscore+a PT every Saturday until September 16? Is that too little? Too much? I'm trying to split at a state school (U Washington), so I don't need a 180, but I'm splitting so I'm aiming for a 180.

Also y'all shitpostthoughtful, meaningful, and high quality posts at the speed o/f light is this what 1L is going to be like? :D

ftfy.

It really depends on where you are. First off, it does help a tremendous amount to tell people your score breakdown. A 158 with -20 LG will be way easier to improve upon than a 158 with -0 LG in most circumstances. That said, a 158 is a perfectly fine place to start. SuperPrep isn't necessary IMO but its helpful for the PTs if you don't have access to them. IIRC, SuperPrep 2 is three undisclosed tests. Personally, I got all of the PowerScore bibles and Manhattan books. I did LG bible and followed it with the LG from Manhattan prep, but I learn best the second time around generally speaking. I felt that my strength in LG comes from using my own sort of blend and twisted system. You can definitely blend the systems, as they are generally very similar but focus on different things - i.e. IIRC, LSAT Trainer uses shapes a lot whereas others do not. For LR, I didn't make it past the bible. For RC, I liked Manhattan Prep the most and it was reading this book (after trying memory method and reading blueprint) that RC clicked and went from -4/-5/-6 on average to -0/-1 on average.

Ultimately, the process is really about realistic self-evaluation. To start LR, you should be building a strong foundation in conditional logic and the valid types (A->B, have A therefore you must have B... A->B, do not have B so we cannot have A... A and B -> C, have A but no C so we can't have B, etc.), quantifiers (some, most, all, etc. and the conclusions that can be drawn), and the question types. As you learn about question types, work through packs of them for accuracy. Don't worry about PTing too much yet. You're more than fine to being starting your prep for Sept. As you do that, you can go to 180pedia.com/every-lsat-practice-test and each question page will have links to explanations from 7Sage, Manhattan Prep, PowerScore, LSATHacks, and Velocity LSAT

OH! And try to sign up for the May Digital LSAT if you want. It can be a free PT of 'test-ish' like conditions!

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:32 am

abujabal wrote:

Hi I love your 'tar.

Meme master has competition.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:34 am

Fresh meat! Fresh meat! Fresh meat!

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 am

Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Hi I love your 'tar.

I see you got some bling.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:39 am

34iplaw wrote:
abujabal wrote:Not to be a bore and ask an actual study prep question, but I'm going to be lame like that...

ftfy.

It really depends on where you are. First off, it does help a tremendous amount to tell people your score breakdown....

...Don't worry about PTing too much yet. You're more than fine to being starting your prep for Sept. As you do that, you can go to 180pedia.com/every-lsat-practice-test and each question page will have links to explanations from 7Sage, Manhattan Prep, PowerScore, LSATHacks, and Velocity LSAT...

OH! And try to sign up for the May Digital LSAT if you want. It can be a free PT of 'test-ish' like conditions!

Knew I was forgetting something. Foolishly, I lost the sheet with my answers on it. As I can recall though, it was something like (LG1, -6 [and largely because I had no idea what was going on throughout]), (LR1, -8; LR2, -6), (RC, -4, or maybe -6)? Truth told, I'm not totally sure, though I recall that Rational Choice was my worst section and also when the chap next to me started watching a movie on his tray table so it wasn't exactly a clean environment. The games seem fun and I'm certain I can ace them with enough drilling, but the Logical Reasoning trips me up. Gotta practice the hell out of them, but I take it they're this weird hybrid between reading and logic that makes me think it's as easy as a reading section (for me at least, reading sections have always been my strong suit), but then suddenly I'm finding the statement that would be make the argument most vulnerable or whatever and the argument is shit to begin with. I should note that I ran out of time on the Games, but I'm not stressed about it.

When you say SuperPrep II is 2 undisclosed tests, does that mean they're not one of the numbered "PTx,y,z"s? In that case, very worthwhile. I know my study method for the SAT (all of 7 years ago) was a PT every Saturday, so hopefully that same concept applies?

Re: the May LSAT, doesn't seem to be offered anywhere near me. I'm assuming that if I take September and I want more from it, I can take December and not be totally out of the loop for a 2018 admission?

Oh and last question - is this the 2017-2018 cycle? Or does that number refer to your entry date?

@Alex - memes are the only thing that keeps me sane between current affairs and my boss continuously asking me if I'd reconsider law school in favor of continuing to work at the same gig until getting an MBA. Blech.

Also I've added to this post twice now because every time I press submit, y'all have said something fresh - impressive

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:40 am

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Hi I love your 'tar.

I'm just cooler now.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:43 am

Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Hi I love your 'tar.

I'm just cooler now.

Your nose looks a bit wonky though.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:45 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Hi I love your 'tar.

I'm just cooler now.

Goddammit. You're right.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:49 am

abujabal wrote:Lots o text

Ok - no worries! Just something to keep in mind. You have room for improvement, and I don't think 170 is by any means out of reach. I don't know what rational choice refers to. If you got a -6 cold on LG esp. running out of time, you should definitely be able to get -0 fairly easily IMO.

I forget which ones are in SuperPrep books, but the following PTs don't fall "neatly" into the PT # system although some people have them labeled as like 41.5, so you may have them.
PT A - February 1996
PT F97 - February 1997
PT B - February 1999
PT C - February 2000
PT J07 - June 2007
PT C2 - January 2016

I don't think you should be taking a PT every Saturday yet. Work on your fundamentals.

2017 in the thread refers to the study group. I may be retaking in Sept if I don't like my outcomes from this one. You can retake in December and still be okay to apply.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:57 am

34iplaw wrote:
abujabal wrote:Lots o text

I don't know what rational choice refers to. If you got a -6 cold on LG esp. running out of time, you should definitely be able to get -0 fairly easily IMO.
I forget which ones are in SuperPrep books, but the following PTs don't fall "neatly" into the PT # system although some people have them labeled as like 41.5, so you may have them.
2017 in the thread refers to the study group. I may be retaking in Sept if I don't like my outcomes from this one. You can retake in December and still be okay to apply.

Shit I meant Logical Reasoning. I 0-60ed learning all the things about the LSAT today, so I'm still a bit all over the place.

Given what you say then re: Superprep, looks like those are on the purchase list. Holy hell this is expensive. Feels like a massive barrier to entry for "doing well". Worth it in the end, but damn_son.jpg.

Re:'17-18 cycle - I registered on LSN today, and it asked me that. I take it I'm 17-18 in that case, which is fun.

God I forgot how much I hate prepping for standardized tests

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:58 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Hi I love your 'tar.

I'm just cooler now.

Goddammit. You're right.

no need for a normal looking nose when you're a fucking G

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 am

galeatus wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Hi I love your 'tar.

I'm just cooler now.

Goddammit. You're right.

Alexander the G. Perfect.

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:02 am

oopsu812 wrote:
galeatus wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:I see you got some bling.

I'm just cooler now.

Goddammit. You're right.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Amazing

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 am

oopsu812 wrote:
galeatus wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Hi I love your 'tar.

I'm just cooler now.

Goddammit. You're right.

Fucking right.

is my nose less wonky now

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?