The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
43%
Yeah, kind of
17%
Ehh, hoping for the best
15%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
19%

Total votes: 47

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:44 am

34iplaw wrote:I dunno man... I guess it depends how close to medians you are GPA wise and how much one class could swing your GPA.

I graduated with so many credit hours that, even if I could do post baccs for LSAC GPA, it would take forever to raise mine. I can't see one B really hurting your UGPA that much.

True, if one B would mean .01 difference, then perhaps not - I haven't done the math.

I think there are certain ranges where small changes in GPA matter more than other. I doubt there's a substantial difference between a 4.1 and 4.2, or between 2.8 and 2.9. But I do think there's a tangible difference between ie 3.74 and 3.84.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:46 am

34iplaw wrote:I dunno man... I guess it depends how close to medians you are GPA wise and how much one class could swing your GPA.

I graduated with so many credit hours that, even if I could do post baccs for LSAC GPA, it would take forever to raise mine. I can't see one B really hurting your UGPA that much.

Any idea if extra credit hours can/will have a negative effect on one's application? I have plenty of extra credit hours because I switched my program and will also likely be taking some extra courses for the GPA boost/preventing a stacked semester. (I guess don't quote that please)

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:48 am

oopsu812 wrote:

Will not negatively affect you in the slightest.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:49 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

Even YS?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

Even YS?

YS is very picky about things, but if you don't get in it won't be because of that.

Also no idea how that would be a negative thing in the first place. I would call it neutral / a null factor but more positive than negative.

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

Even YS?

YS is very picky about things, but if you don't get in it won't be because of that.

Also no idea how that would be a negative thing in the first place. I would call it neutral / a null factor but more positive than negative.

Yeah that makes sense. I feel like of the classes I've identified as ones to take, only a couple of them are very very clearly "bird courses". A lot of the ones I plan to take will be genuinely useful for me, so whatever. (don't quote)

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:06 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

Even YS?

A good GPA from obvious bird courses >>>>>>>>>>> A meh GPA from very difficult courses. A lot of times they don't even look at your transcript.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:07 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

Even YS?

A good GPA from obvious bird courses >>>>>>>>>>> A meh GPA from very difficult courses. A lot of times they don't even look at your transcript.

That suits me just fine! Thankfully tuition here isn't absolutely insane, so an extra semester worth of courses won't set me back a house.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:11 am

Eh - I agree. I only think it would possibly maybe matter for marginal admits GPA-wise to Y/S.

I feel like there needs to be more weight on UGPA institution and major to some extent, but that is not the LS game we live in!

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:19 am

34iplaw wrote:Eh - I agree. I only think it would possibly maybe matter for marginal admits GPA-wise to Y/S.

I feel like there needs to be more weight on UGPA institution and major to some extent, but that is not the LS game we live in!

My biggest concern is full-rides - That's where the 3.8 floor seems to come into play the most.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:24 am

Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Eh - I agree. I only think it would possibly maybe matter for marginal admits GPA-wise to Y/S.

My biggest concern is full-rides - That's where the 3.8 floor seems to come into play the most.

I agree that they should take a look at whether or not schools give out 4.3s, but I'm not sure how I feel about taking prestige into account. There are so many reasons other than not being smart enough for someone to not go to a prestigious UG.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:25 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

I agree that they should take a look at whether or not schools give out 4.3s, but I'm not sure how I feel about taking prestige into account. There are so many reasons other than not being smart enough for someone to not go to a prestigious UG.

Yeah, I agree with that. UG prestige gets enough weight as it is imo. But I do think UG grade deflation should be taken into account.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:29 am

Yeah - understood.

It is annoying. My UG gave 4.3s, but few professors in my major/program gave any out. Kind of ridiculous.

I sort of now loathe any professor that doesn't give 4.3s.

Then I started to take CRP/URS/Humanities classes and my GPA shot up to roughly 4.0, and that includes a semester I took nine classes (included a PE and a fun class, but those still took up time and the fun one had projects.)

By UG Institution, I didn't really mean prestige (although I suspect there would be some correlation, primarily with students saddling the middle distribution of grades) but more meant the average grades at the university. Granted, those would then have to be looked at by major or something.

I do sort of wish that some of my professors gave more of a shit about this. I had a professor once tell me not to be concerned with what other students received even though my assignment and test average was significantly higher than a few kids with higher final letter grades. I didn't know disputing grades was a thing.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:36 am

Re you're last point - that's bullshit, what the fuck?
Usually we have syllabi with it clearly laid-out where our grades are coming from and how our final grade is calculated, and they're not allowed to give you something different from what you got.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:42 am

Yeah that's pretty shocking.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:47 am

I think the reasoning is they were given a higher grade than what they earned? I don't know. Miserable professor.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:57 am

(don't quote) My only experience like this - but had one class where the grades were distributed something like "30% quizzes, 30% paper, 40% 'participation' "
We were given next to no opportunity to participate since it was mostly lectures. Then, after we all kept getting Cs on the quizzes, he told us the later quizzes would be "weighted more heavily" / we'd be marked on "how much we improved" (no indication of how this mark would actually be calculated).
THEN at the end of the course he tells us to write a paragraph predicting our grade and evaluating how we were doing in the course, and *if* we got it right, our grade would be upped by one letter grade (A- -> A, etc).
Had a long string of B/Cs on the quizzes, and decided to live on the edge and put "A-" on mine anyways, worked and I got an A, so can't complain, but oof that was close.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:06 am

Alexandros wrote:.

What the hell? Ya'll have had some weird experiences. Stuff like that wouldn't fly at my school. If something is stated on the syllabus, the prof can't just change it. If he/she does, students can file a complaint, and they'll win every time.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:11 am

oopsu812 wrote:

What the hell? Ya'll have had some weird experiences. Stuff like that wouldn't fly at my school. If something is stated on the syllabus, the prof can't just change it. If he/she does, students can file a complaint, and they'll win every time.

Yeah, it was bull. Only time I've had something like that though. I feel like filing a complaint wouldn't get very far here - There're "rules" but profs have way too much power and can do whatever they want.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:12 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

I doubt the prof would face any real repercussions, but I'd imagine at the very least a student who got a bad grade could probably appeal and get it changed to pass/fail.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:16 am

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am

dj9i27 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OP

wat

lol that gpa is going to die a miserable death with that 156. What a shame. I'm over here in super splitter waters and would give my left nut for that gpa, all the while they are actually considering going to one of those TTTTTTTT schools. The nerve of some people. smh

jk, im an idiot and was stuck on the 2 bad schools and didnt see the uva acceptance. get rekt
Last edited by twiix on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:41 am

TWiiX wrote:

wat

lol that gpa is going to die a miserable death with that 156. What a shame. I'm over here in super splitter waters and would give my left nut for that gpa, all the while they are actually considering going to one of those TTTTTTTT schools. The nerve of some people. smh

They pulled uva tho

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:30 am

dj9i27 wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

wat

They pulled uva tho

oh wtf. i didnt even see that first time through. my eyes were locked on maryland and baltimore honestly. didnt even see the rest of the list hahaha. thats an insane acceptance then. i retract my previous statement

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:51 am

Love it when threads have happy endings. viewtopic.php?f=1&p=9908181#p9908181

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?