The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

oopsu812

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:28 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:You guys ever get unsolicited advice on how to be a lawyer/traits you need to be a lawyer from people who aren't lawyers themselves? For me, they always seem to assume you're going into criminal law, and being that I'm generally a laid-back, quiet guy, they always comment about "public speaking" and "assertiveness." I just kind of smile and nod.

I occasionally hear people tell others "you argue well, you should be an attorney", which always makes me laugh. Most people assume: attorney = arguing in court and yelling "objection!". The stereotypes are prevalent.

There's also always the usual, "ew lawyers...professional assholes," reaction. :cry:

I dunno if I've ever gotten 'you're gonna be a great lawyer because [some dumb reason]" but I've def gotten "You're gonna be a terrible lawyer because [some dumb reason]!" during fights once or twice.

That's not cool. They must have lost the fight if they got personal like that, lol.

URMSenator52

New

Postby URMSenator52 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:43 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:You guys ever get unsolicited advice on how to be a lawyer/traits you need to be a lawyer from people who aren't lawyers themselves? For me, they always seem to assume you're going into criminal law, and being that I'm generally a laid-back, quiet guy, they always comment about "public speaking" and "assertiveness." I just kind of smile and nod.

I occasionally hear people tell others "you argue well, you should be an attorney", which always makes me laugh. Most people assume: attorney = arguing in court and yelling "objection!". The stereotypes are prevalent.

There's also always the usual, "ew lawyers...professional assholes," reaction. :cry:

I dunno if I've ever gotten 'you're gonna be a great lawyer because [some dumb reason]" but I've def gotten "You're gonna be a terrible lawyer because [some dumb reason]!" during fights once or twice.

That's not cool. They must have lost the fight if they got personal like that, lol.

Prosecution or Litigation life for those news headlines plus benefiting the community. I would only clerk for the fed... Big Law outside of IP is terrible imo. Barley any courtroom action outside Litigation. Barely any headlines,most people outside of law. Assume and characterize Big Law = Representing scum Cooperation's like cigarette company's lol.(Cough N.Y. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand represented cig company Philip Morris,during her NY big law career after graduating Syra€use Law).....

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:29 am

URMSenator52 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Prosecution or Litigation life for those news headlines plus benefiting the community. I would only clerk for the fed... Big Law outside of IP is terrible imo. Barley any courtroom action outside Litigation. Barely any headlines,most people outside of law. Assume and characterize Big Law = Representing scum Cooperation's like cigarette company's lol.(Cough N.Y. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand represented cig company Philip Morris,during her NY big law career after graduating Syra€use Law).....

Cool story bro.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:32 am

URMSenator52 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Bitte?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

It was more amusing than anything. They definitely lost that one.

URMSenator52

New

Postby URMSenator52 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:55 am

Alexandros wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Cool story bro.

yeah brah making a legal difference to protect America's children, adults, and Senior Citizens is a "cool" story .. That is not worth mentioning at all for supposed future lawyers. Big Law you can definitely protect people over cooperation's..

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:44 am

My neurotic friends re LoRs and profs who haven't taught you in class -
https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... pplication
https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... mmendation

It looks like senior thesis supervisor does count for LoR?
Still feel like it might be risky if they haven't actually taught you in a class.
Also need to check what the deal is for non-Yehl skools. Incoming excel sheet.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 am

Alexandros wrote:My neurotic friends re LoRs and profs who haven't taught you in class -

Still feel like it might be risky if they haven't actually taught you in a class.

That could be very good for you indeed indeed. Man, I'd love to somehow get 3 amazing letters...

Also, Stanford (if you're interested) loves Stanford-specific letters.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:My neurotic friends re LoRs and profs who haven't taught you in class -

That could be very good for you indeed indeed. Man, I'd love to somehow get 3 amazing letters...

Yeah it's good to know - I'm trying to get someone who'll have taught me in a class for 'thesis supervisor' (not actually a thesis. I don't get to write a thesis because I'm STEM, and my school is a fucked disorganized mess that hates critical thinking, so we just work in a lab doing someone else's research) but my options are very limited so idk if that's gonna happen.

Yeah, I'm going to try to get one of those Stanny-specific LoRs too.

I really hope you're WC and not also a severe insomniac. I need to sleep.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:21 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

Yeah it's good to know - I'm trying to get someone who'll have taught me in a class for 'thesis supervisor' (not actually a thesis. I don't get to write a thesis because I'm STEM, and my school is a fucked disorganized mess that hates critical thinking, so we just work in a lab doing someone else's research) but my options are very limited so idk if that's gonna happen.

Yeah, I'm going to try to get one of those Stanny-specific LoRs too.

I really hope you're WC and not also a severe insomniac. I need to sleep.

I mean, at least it'll be an easy A, right? Every cloud and all that. My program doesn't even allow for a thesis. :roll:

I'm EST, no idea what sleep is. Must be awake by 7.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:07 am

Last edited by Alexandros on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am

Alexandros wrote:(don't quote)
OF COURSE ....

Show up the first day and ask to force add. My school did corny bullshit like that too, and I was able to add every single time that I showed up the first day, sat through class, then talked to prof afterward.
Last edited by twiix on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:58 am

TWiiX wrote:

Show up the first day and ask to force add. My school did corny bullshit like that too, and I was able to add every single time that I showed up the first day, sat through class, then talked to prof afterward.

I'm thinking of emailing the prof.
this is such bullshit.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:08 am

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

I'm thinking of emailing the prof.
this is such bullshit.

I deleted your post lol, forgot the "don't quote" part :shock:

Yeah emailing can't hurt.. just say it's the only one that fits in your schedule due to work or other stuff and you really wanted to be a part of their class because you heard great things about it (other forms of suck-assery will work). Either they say yeah sure! and you get it fixed, or they say no thanks, and you're back where you are now.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:16 am

Last edited by Alexandros on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:23 am

My school used to do the same thing. The online registration wouldn't let you take any courses that weren't required for your program. Apparently they've changed it now, thank God.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:57 am

oopsu812 wrote:My school used to do the same thing. The online registration wouldn't let you take any courses that weren't required for your program. Apparently they've changed it now, thank God.

I had a calculus based physics class that was a pre-req for the calc 2 physics course that was being offered the 2nd semester my junior year. I took the first one and passed easily, so I thought I'd be full speed ahead. But in the registration system they had some organic chemistry class as the pre-req. I called the admissions office and their response was "[you] aren't supposed to be signing up for that course and [you] need to find the correct one". Basically said I was an idiot. There were officially 0/20 seats filled when the class started. That was the largest amount of unnecessary stress I've ever dealt with. Monkeys could do a better job at setting up reqs and stuff in UG.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:00 pm

registration opened for us by amount of credits that system sounds stupid.

Also, work is lame.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:10 pm

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Postby CottonHarvest » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:31 pm

Not gonna lie I get worried when there is no post on this thread for seven hours

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:34 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:Not gonna lie I get worried when there is no post on this thread for seven hours

Same.
Are you guys ok

I still think maybe the truck guy got DJ.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Alexandros wrote:
CottonHarvest wrote:Not gonna lie I get worried when there is no post on this thread for seven hours

Same.
Are you guys ok

I still think maybe the truck guy got DJ.

wurk pain

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Really torn between schools right now and going to Chicago tomorrow and getting impressed by their ASW probably won't help. Chicago is only 3 hours from home and both of my siblings announced they are moving super far away from my parent's home just this week. My parents have now picked Chicago as their favorite location for me after graduation, but are also fussing about whether I will get shot at UChi because I'm a bit of a hardass in mugging situations and that area is a little worse than some other areas of the city

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Hey kids, where's the best resource for sorting things by question type?

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:16 pm

oopsu812 wrote:Hey kids, where's the best resource for sorting things by question type?

like this? -- http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ls ... sheet.html

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?