The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:46 pm

Scar can go away for ever after what they've done to me.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:49 pm

dj9i27 wrote:.

I was rooting for them too, would've been a much easier opponent than Zag :lol:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:51 pm

proteinshake wrote:

I wasn't. once they knocked out my team with a stupid cheap shot I hated all. plus berk would have beaten everyone ever because that's how they roll
Last edited by dj9i27 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:53 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Seriously considering taking 2 years off. But I don't have to make that decision right now, thankfully.

then you'll be old man alex and I'll be dead by UG age standards.

I'd take one off. I'd say stay in your UG town but you seem pretty keen on moving on. Pick somewhere with a friend tho, it's a lot easier taking you lunch break with someone and bitching about how work sucks.

Yeah, will absolutely not be staying here. I'm gonna get a law-related internship or two for the summer / fall to figure out what the work is like, then bugger off and go travelling for a while. If I'm feeling iffy about it come fall, or anything less than absolutely sure law's what I want, I'll hold off applying and take another year off.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:56 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Seriously considering taking 2 years off. But I don't have to make that decision right now, thankfully.

I'd take one off. I'd say stay in your UG town but you seem pretty keen on moving on. Pick somewhere with a friend tho, it's a lot easier taking you lunch break with someone and bitching about how work sucks.

Yeah, will absolutely not be staying here. I'm gonna get a law-related internship or two for the summer / fall to figure out what the work is like, then bugger off and go travelling for a while. If I'm feeling iffy about it come fall, or anything less than absolutely sure law's what I want, I'll hold off applying and take another year off.

Work makes you want to appreciate going back to school imo. Literally everyone I know who has taken gap year (s) loves the days coming back to school. Honestly, that's why I'd suggest a year off, as well as the fact that it somewhat preps you for BL.

I've been having a lot of studying energy as of late, not sure why. Maybe it's seeing LSP or some number twins getting good money from Duke/UVA/Mich.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:59 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

ohhh haha I forgot about that

also I just got 8.8 lbs of whey isolate from MyProtein for only 65 bucks why am I just now discovering this????

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:00 am

proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

also I just got 8.8 lbs of whey isolate from MyProtein for only 65 bucks why am I just now discovering this????

who you picking for the championship?

also what's the skinny on Duke's housing brah

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:04 am

dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

who you picking for the championship?

also what's the skinny on Duke's housing brah

and I'm staying in a master bedroom in a condo with a couple other duke students for $650 a month + utilities (I get my own bathroom while the other two share). the guy I'm renting from is also leaving his bed and his flat screen which is dope.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:07 am

UC Berkeley is amazing
Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:10 am

Last edited by proteinshake on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:10 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Work makes you want to appreciate going back to school imo. Literally everyone I know who has taken gap year (s) loves the days coming back to school. Honestly, that's why I'd suggest a year off, as well as the fact that it somewhat preps you for BL.

I've been having a lot of studying energy as of late, not sure why. Maybe it's seeing LSP or some number twins getting good money from Duke/UVA/Mich.

Sounds weird but I think I'll like LS. My hesitation is way more law practice and the low W-L balance / how soul-destroying it might be.
also been on the other side of the continent from the fam for the past 4 years and been having a lot "everyone is getting old and having health problems etc and I'm not there" type fears lately.

That's good dude. Keep the study energy up. You will get $$$.
Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:12 am

yep, that's a damn good deal. hopefully I can put the squeeze on my parents if it comes to that. also damn, if it were earlier that might have budged them up to 6 figures.

Sounds like a good cycle end dude! also if you want me to delete my troll Berk thing I can.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:14 am

dj9i27 wrote:yep, that's a damn good deal. hopefully I can put the squeeze on my parents if it comes to that. also damn, if it were earlier that might have budged them up to 6 figures.

Sounds like a good cycle end dude! also if you want me to delete my troll Berk thing I can.

LOL I sent a PM while you posted this, thanks dude! and yeah even though it was a total underperformance I'm still happy with the outcome. still waiting on NYU but I doubt they give me similar money if I get in.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:16 am

galeatus wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:I dunno, I just don't think people should go KJD. Get life experience, figure out whether or not law is really what you want as a career, and get stronger softs while you're at it.

I completely agree. I imagine that if my first LSAT attempt isn't a high enough score, I won't bother retaking it or applying until I have significant WE and a masters. At that point I'd reevaluate what I want.

But if it is, still, do try to get that WE. Saying this because you are me a year ago.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Grinding a 9-5 (or in the case of biglaw, 10-10)for a while might not be able to tell you anything about what you want in life, but it will definitely help you see what you don't want in life, which may put you on a completely different career path than what you're planning now

Yup, I agree. I'm not in a rush to write the LSAT/apply for LS. There are certainly other avenues I wish to explore before ultimately making that decision. It's a big girl decision that needs to be informed by big girl experience after all. :D

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:17 am

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Sounds weird but I think I'll like LS. My hesitation is way more law practice and the low W-L balance / how soul-destroying it might be.
also been on the other side of the continent from the fam for the past 4 years and been having a lot "everyone is getting old and having health problems etc and I'm not there" type fears lately.

I've had those fears as well, which is why I'm hesitant on this biglaw gig now and looking at little debt. PI seems to have more flexible hours and better Work life balance. Maybe work near your family now (go to a college town close by if possible the youth rubs off on you) that way you can still see them and whatnot.

Inb4 WL and sticker everywhere

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:18 am

proteinshake wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:yep, that's a damn good deal. hopefully I can put the squeeze on my parents if it comes to that. also damn, if it were earlier that might have budged them up to 6 figures.

LOL I sent a PM while you posted this, thanks dude! and yeah even though it was a total underperformance I'm still happy with the outcome. still waiting on NYU but I doubt they give me similar money if I get in.

I'd lol if you got Vanderbilt. Duke with zilch for debt is amazing, if I was in that spot I'd bite in a second without thinking twice.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:29 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I've had those fears as well, which is why I'm hesitant on this biglaw gig now and looking at little debt. PI seems to have more flexible hours and better Work life balance. Maybe work near your family now (go to a college town close by if possible the youth rubs off on you) that way you can still see them and whatnot.

Inb4 WL and sticker everywhere

I'm struggling to find info but if you look on glassdoor a bit you do see plenty of upper level PI attorney salaries that are low six-figures. Pales in comparison to BL but that's still a very decent living in my book, so not 40k forever. Goes without saying gov salaries (and academia (lol)) can also be very decent.

And yeah good idea. It'll be a year or so before I have to figure things out work-wise but definitely will be thinking about that.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=276079
Will turn dark soon but has been surprisingly positive thus far.

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:38 am

Alexandros wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=276079
Will turn dark soon but has been surprisingly positive thus far.

Yeah this is surprisingly upbeat, I was fully expecting a train of "No I wanna kms"

naztywoman

New

Postby naztywoman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:46 pm

checking in.. not sure if i'll be taking the sept test (accepted at duke and waiting to hear about a deferral) but, if all goes well, i'll be retaking it to use as scholarship leverage.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:01 pm

CWRU school of law, for the love of god, please calm the fuck down.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Postby CottonHarvest » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:00 pm

Alexandros wrote:CWRU school of law, for the love of god, please calm the fuck down.

??

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:16 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:
Alexandros wrote:CWRU school of law, for the love of god, please calm the fuck down.

??

Continuous barrage of "why haven't you applied yet" emails.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Alexandros wrote:
CottonHarvest wrote:

??

How do we make them stop?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:54 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
CottonHarvest wrote:

??

How do we make them stop?

I first tried to apply without a transcript or a personal statement or any LoRs, and that appeared to make it worse.
So I clicked a button that said "applying for Fall 2019".
Alternatively, you can unsubscribe.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?