The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:21 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Have I maxed out the number of "I iz [insert excuse] and thus cannot socialize" excuses I can use in a year or.....

Nah, I looked at your score you're good.

BTW stay away from the "what are my chances" thread unless you want super anxiety.

Dope.

And yeah, aren't you glad you don't have a sub 2.5 gpa.
I also think TLS gives overly optimistic odds for people sometimes.

The LSAT grandmaster had a 2.9 and pulled uva before the Great Applicant Crash. I don't like the was LS's calculate GPA. IIRC, med schools and some grad programs take all sub 4000 level classes into consideration. If it were the case for LS, I'd be at my CC until I had a 3.7/180.

Yeah I believe getting in is in the realm of possibility (esp UVA) but $$ would be hard. My guess would be the best predictor is LSAC's app, and one should veer on the cautious side even there if KJD, weak softs or non-Ivy UG. I also think really TLS over-estimates the likelihood of getting full-rides.

Agree that it's BS and very unfair.
Last edited by Alexandros on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:22 pm

TWiiX wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:All LoRs follow the same basic principle i presume. X is so great, X was a great learn, etc.

Yeah, I've got 2, 1 pending and is could be 5 if a certain few bite. I don't intend to keep them all but I'll choose the best and send them out (hell I might just send 4).

I'm a little worried about LORs since I graduated in 2014, was always a pretty introverted student, and wasn't the best student. I have a couple professors in mind, and I'd like to think they'd be willing to do me a favor, but if I somehow strike out with them, idk what my plan of action will be.

I'm in the same boat. I was an engineering student so I definitely spent a decent amount of time with my professors in lab settings which were more casual than formal lectures; I'm hoping that helped to create a better relationship with them. When I get around to going to visit them to ask for a LOR I'll just be praying to sweet baby jesus that they will entertain me enough to play ball and write me a good one. I have a lower GPA (depending on your standards) as well so it's not like I was the epitome of an awesome student, but I'm hopeful nonetheless. As they said before me, go in person. That's your best shot at getting a positive outcome.

In person in the best but be sure to be cordial and not, "DAE I WANT A LOR PLZ yes I used DAE wrong but I lold while writing it" Also, remember a topic or two that resonated with you so they feel like they had an impact on your life.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:25 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Have I maxed out the number of "I iz [insert excuse] and thus cannot socialize" excuses I can use in a year or.....

BTW stay away from the "what are my chances" thread unless you want super anxiety.

Dope.

The LSAT grandmaster had a 2.9 and pulled uva before the Great Applicant Crash. I don't like the was LS's calculate GPA. IIRC, med schools and some grad programs take all sub 4000 level classes into consideration. If it were the case for LS, I'd be at my CC until I had a 3.7/180.

Yeah I believe getting in is in the realm of possibility (esp UVA) but $$ would be hard. My guess would be the best predictor is LSAC's app, and one should veer on the cautious side even there if KJD, weak softs or non-Ivy UG.

I find the LSAC predictor app to be trash, according to them I can't get into Alabama even with a 180. LSN is a strange bird as well because probably only ~40% of their users post $$$ info. I think we only see the tip of the iceberg when it comes to applicants. UVA giving me $0 or very little is a great fear of mine.

That one dude got Dillard a month after applying and then just left TLS.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:31 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Dope.

Yeah it's a shame that you can't do post-bacc work to boost GPA. I guess the work around is to try to prolong your UG studies as long as possible if you need the boost.. adding minors, etc. Or at least that's what I'm hoping to do if I have to.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:32 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Dope.

Yeah it's a shame that you can't do post-bacc work to boost GPA. I guess the work around is to try to prolong your UG studies as long as possible if you need the boost.. adding minors, etc. Or at least that's what I'm hoping to do if I have to.

tis too late for me young one, I did what I could you get it to where it is now. My ug would be mad if I took much more.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:33 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Dope.

Yeah I believe getting in is in the realm of possibility (esp UVA) but $$ would be hard. My guess would be the best predictor is LSAC's app, and one should veer on the cautious side even there if KJD, weak softs or non-Ivy UG.

I find the LSAC predictor app to be trash, according to them I can't get into Alabama even with a 180. LSN is a strange bird as well because probably only ~40% of their users post $$$ info. I think we only see the tip of the iceberg when it comes to applicants. UVA giving me $0 or very little is a great fear of mine.

That one dude got Dillard a month after applying and then just left TLS.

But (at least as I understand it) the LSAC predictor app uses the actual congregate data of the last application cycle, so it has a lot larger of a sample than LSN (or any other predictor). So I think it's fair to assume it's decently accurate (or at least the *most* accurate). Granted, it does have the weakness of not including data from previous cycles.

Negotiate for that $$$. And r u talking about Sweet.

Also I either am actually under the weather or got a hangover from 2 glasses of wine, the fuck.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:34 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Dope.

tis too late for me young one, I did what I could you get it to where it is now. My ug would be mad if I took much more.

I'm not sure why, surely they should be happy to let people give them more money?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:35 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Dope.

I'm not sure why, surely they should be happy to let people give them more money?

once you have 1 UG degree LSAC won't count any more credits so it's out of the question for our good dude DJ.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:tis too late for me young one, I did what I could you get it to where it is now. My ug would be mad if I took much more.

once you have 1 UG degree LSAC won't count any more credits so it's out of the question for our good dude DJ.

No I know. I meant that I don't understand why a university wouldn't let someone prolong the acquisition of their UG degree if they'll keep feeding them money.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Alexandros wrote:But (at least as I understand it) the LSAC predictor app uses the actual congregate data of the last application cycle, so it has a lot larger of a sample than LSN (or any other predictor). So I think it's fair to assume it's decently accurate (or at least the *most* accurate). Granted, it does have the weakness of not including data from previous cycles.

Negotiate for that $$$. And r u talking about Sweet.

Also I either am actually under the weather or got a hangover from 2 glasses of wine, the fuck.

My odds are better on LSN so I'm going full ostrich and saying that one is true. and yes, I was being cheeky to the departed. Still rather enamored how quick he got dilly.

you sick dude, there is more alcohol in cough syrup than wine.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Played with the lsac predictor with my ranges
3.3/180 would have a harder time at Michigan State than UT Austin... k.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Played with the lsac predictor with my ranges

I have 2x better shot at HLS than UVA, lol. Also have a slightly better shot at HLS than CLS. Odds by far the best at NYU. <35evr

It says the same shit for me that I have a 40% chance at H and 25% chance at UVA....Wat? This is why I don't know if I trust this one, LSN seems more accurate.

Dxgriffin on LSN got 120g from mich and uva, there is hope.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:51 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:tis too late for me young one, I did what I could you get it to where it is now. My ug would be mad if I took much more.

No I know. I meant that I don't understand why a university wouldn't let someone prolong the acquisition of their UG degree if they'll keep feeding them money.

Credit overages. Mine really prides itself on the amount of students done in 4 years (which I did finish in) so they want you out ASAP.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:55 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:

Credit overages. Mine really prides itself on the amount of students done in 4 years (which I did finish in) so they want you out ASAP.

Ahhh okay, that's understandable. I think my school has a type of "finish in x amount of years or there's consequences", but I'm not sure how that works in regards to just taking more courses for the GPA.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Alexandros wrote:My ol' iphone 4 is not responding with no warning at all. also lost my student ID at the gym, now cannot go to gym or print things. RIP.

Can you get another student id or talk to the gym and see if they have a lost and found?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:01 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:My ol' iphone 4 is not responding with no warning at all. also lost my student ID at the gym, now cannot go to gym or print things. RIP.

Can you get another student id or talk to the gym and see if they have a lost and found?

Yeah but can't until monday. Also you have to use a student ID to get into the gym lost and found, it's a great set-up. 'sokay because I don't feel great anyways.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Alexandros wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Yeah but can't until monday. Also you have to use a student ID to get into the gym lost and found, it's a great set-up. 'sokay because I don't feel great anyways.

Oh! I'm sorry, I hope you feel better soon :/

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:05 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Oh! I'm sorry, I hope you feel better soon :/

Thank you! :)

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:08 pm

So, I caved in and got a frappe from the cafe next door to the library (because I was feeling exhausted) and I didn't feel like driving in the heat to Starbucks... It is literally the most disgusting thing I have had in my life even with the whip cream.. And it didn't even work i.e.caffeine-energy boost. I'll take my green tea over this any day! I guess it's my own fault for not wanting to drive in this icky weather, but still ugh :shock: :?

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Oh and I totally just saw someone studying 7sage on their iPad, part of me wanted to say "hi I'm also prepping," but I thought it might be weird lol.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:12 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Played with the lsac predictor with my ranges

I have 2x better shot at HLS than UVA, lol. Also have a slightly better shot at HLS than CLS. Odds by far the best at NYU. <35evr

It says the same shit for me that I have a 40% chance at H and 25% chance at UVA....Wat? This is why I don't know if I trust this one, LSN seems more accurate.

Dxgriffin on LSN got 120g from mich and uva, there is hope.

Honestly not *that* surprising - HLS values high LSATs a lot, and would probably value a 179 over say a 172 more than UVA would, considering where their 75ths are at. I just don't get how LSN could actually be more accurate considering LSAC is using all of the actual data and LSN has a much more limited sample.

Also re Alabama put in your stats and it says 90-100 for 180.

The Mich State outranking UT is still a thing tho, the alabama thing was more of an exaggeration.

Chicago I got being my #1 non available because no one has gotten in with a <3.5. UVA is the only shocker seeing folks all over lsn with money from them.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:13 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:Oh and I totally just saw someone studying 7sage on their iPad, part of me wanted to say "hi I'm also prepping," but I thought it might be weird lol.

You should have! potential study friend.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?