Why tf not?
19%
What's in September?
14%

Total votes: 109

clueless801

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby clueless801 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Can someone here give me some reassurance I don't have to do every single question and every single PT in what little remaining time we have? Apparently working 40 hours a week and squeezing in 30 hours of studying isn't nearly enough to cover the amount of material I haven't touched even though I feel like I got through a lot so far.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Since I can't create a new topic, thought I'd post this here for those interested:

The number of June 2017 LSAT-takers increased ~20% year over year:

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktak ... lsat-jumps

I *highly* doubt it's due to Trump, as some are speculating.

My guess is that it's due to:

* more people retaking (and knowing they can retake)

* more people taking due to a general belief that legal employment situation may have improved

* LSAC's removal of the 3-times-in-2-years limit (announced in mid-May)

(Mods, if it isn't ok for me to post this here, please let me know, and I'll remove it.)

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:36 pm

To everyone that has/had a Mastermind. What's the life expectancy on these things?

I bought mine in late May/early June but I'm worried bc I tend to have bad luck lol

littlewing67

Postby littlewing67 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:55 pm

chewinggum wrote:To everyone that has/had a Mastermind. What's the life expectancy on these things?

I bought mine in late May/early June but I'm worried bc I tend to have bad luck lol

I have both the Mastermind watch and the Perfect Score watch. Both have kept up and I bought them ~+1 year ago, so good investment TBH. Mastermind > Perfect Score Watch though.

HarveySpecs

Postby HarveySpecs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:03 pm

I just started working full time, and I paid for the PowerScore course that starts on July 25th. I was wondering if i should also shell out the money for 10 hours of private tutoring with PowerScore too. I'm also a little nervous about the amount of time left in the test. I studied basic LG and LR with the bibles. What should do at this point to secure 170+?

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm

clueless801 wrote:Can someone here give me some reassurance I don't have to do every single question and every single PT in what little remaining time we have? Apparently working 40 hours a week and squeezing in 30 hours of studying isn't nearly enough to cover the amount of material I haven't touched even though I feel like I got through a lot so far.

Sure, I did about 20 PT's in full, but didn't get around to everything in the 70's. I drilled everything from 19-61, but nothing but games from before 19. It's certainly not necessary to touch every PT.

edit: It might actually be wise to save some fresh PT's in case a retake is necessary. Also, I worked full-time, and most nights didn't have time to do a full 5 section test. It's definitely preferred, but I don't think it negatively affected my performance. All of my mistakes were in the first 2 sections :lol: So if you're worried that you won't be able to get through everything because PT'ing a 5 section test on a work night isn't plausible, save yourself the trouble and just do a 4 section test with only like a 3-5 minute break between sections 3 & 4.

chargers21

Postby chargers21 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:01 am

HarveySpecs wrote:I just started working full time, and I paid for the PowerScore course that starts on July 25th. I was wondering if i should also shell out the money for 10 hours of private tutoring with PowerScore too. I'm also a little nervous about the amount of time left in the test. I studied basic LG and LR with the bibles. What should do at this point to secure 170+?

If you have the basics down, drill sections to identify problem spots. Then do actual PTs

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:39 am

chargers21 wrote:just a reminder to write a good personal statement

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bmb338

This seems too good to be true. Not only is it a 3.96 but its a PHYSICS major. Appalled really. Thought someone like that could just leave their statement blank and get in with those numbers.

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:40 am

HarveySpecs wrote:I just started working full time, and I paid for the PowerScore course that starts on July 25th. I was wondering if i should also shell out the money for 10 hours of private tutoring with PowerScore too. I'm also a little nervous about the amount of time left in the test. I studied basic LG and LR with the bibles. What should do at this point to secure 170+?

Whats your diagnostic and what are you pting at now?

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:50 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:Drilled LG for the first time in a month with -0 and 10 minutes left so I'm feeling pretty damn good right now.

Noticed you deleted all your old posts, any reason in particular?

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:54 am

Another bible/drilling question: do you guys strongly go over drill questions (such as the ones in the ps bibles) as you would a pt or do you rather just do the drills and get what you can and focus on questions types/analyzing questions when you pt.

As Im going through the bibles and trying to schedule my time Im noticing that Im sometimes being forced (kind of) to rush through some of these aspects when drilling. Thanks.

Barry grandpapy

Postby Barry grandpapy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:24 am

sukhvirlam wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Drilled LG for the first time in a month with -0 and 10 minutes left so I'm feeling pretty damn good right now.

Noticed you deleted all your old posts, any reason in particular?

I was drunk

abujabal

Postby abujabal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:24 am

Any thoughts on how to improve stamina on LR? Noticing that I'm messing up by rushing through reading a question and missing hidden indicators like "such as" vs "only" etc. Just a question of drilling multiple sections back to back? Notice I'm having this issue with even isolated sections, which is why I ask

abujabal

Postby abujabal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:26 am

Also, is there a list of "common flaws" or something like that to look at, just so I have a sense of what to mentally run through when I hit a tricky Q and can't quite put my finger on exactly what the flaw may come from/be?

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:00 am

abujabal wrote:Any thoughts on how to improve stamina on LR? Noticing that I'm messing up by rushing through reading a question and missing hidden indicators like "such as" vs "only" etc. Just a question of drilling multiple sections back to back? Notice I'm having this issue with even isolated sections, which is why I ask

chargers21

Postby chargers21 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:14 am

caramelizedgod wrote:

This seems too good to be true. Not only is it a 3.96 but its a PHYSICS major. Appalled really. Thought someone like that could just leave their statement blank and get in with those numbers.

There's actually a user on this site that had a 171/3.9 and only got into 1 t13 because he basically said law school was a back up and he had nothing else to do in his PS

it's allgood

Postby it's allgood » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:18 am

Can you get a refund? I did not find powerscore worth the money. I think the 7sage ultimate for 1/2 the price of powerscore would be a better investment. I'd focus on finding a tutor that will be able to help you improve your weaknesses and this may be better found by recommendation from someone with a similar weakness who received help from a tutor and was able to strengthen their skills than a powerscore tutor. What are you PTing at?

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:11 pm

chargers21 wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:

There's actually a user on this site that had a 171/3.9 and only got into 1 t13 because he basically said law school was a back up and he had nothing else to do in his PS

Thats frustrating that someone with those numbers doesnt care, but good to know ADComms do care and arent going to give up a spot for someone who doesnt care

chargers21

Postby chargers21 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:46 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:

Thats frustrating that someone with those numbers doesnt care, but good to know ADComms do care and arent going to give up a spot for someone who doesnt care

Yepp. Just reminding people to put in the minimum amount of effort on their apps. I had very weak softs, and still hit at or above my expectations (besides initially being YP'd at the school I am now attending). I actually didn't address "why law" anywhere in my apps from a philosophical or experience standpoint, and still did fine. Just talked about why I would be a good lawyer from a skill and interest standpoint since I'm interested in transactional work

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:12 pm

chargers21 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:

Yepp. Just reminding people to put in the minimum amount of effort on their apps. I had very weak softs, and still hit at or above my expectations (besides initially being YP'd at the school I am now attending). I actually didn't address "why law" anywhere in my apps from a philosophical or experience standpoint, and still did fine. Just talked about why I would be a good lawyer from a skill and interest standpoint since I'm interested in transactional work

Thats good to know! You had a great cycle. Congrats again

littlewing67

Postby littlewing67 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:32 pm

Finished RCB which included:

2 Humanities/Diversity passages -0, -0
2 Law passages -2 on the first one, -0 on the second
3 Science passages -4 on the first,-0, -1

Then drilled 7 Humanities passages from Cambridge packets -3, (-1 on 1, -2 on another, the rest -0)

Then 3 Social Science passages -3, -1, -2

Ugh I'm not consistent at all... what gives???

(Also these were all timed, most hitting 8.5 or less, 8 question passages taking 9-10 mins)

chargers21

Postby chargers21 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:49 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:

Thats good to know! You had a great cycle. Congrats again

Thanks! Still kicking myself about never hitting my PT average, but absolutely thrilled about my outcome. Go Big Red!

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:50 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Finished RCB which included:

Then drilled 7 Humanities passages from Cambridge packets -3, (-1 on 1, -2 on another, the rest -0)

(Also these were all timed, most hitting 8.5 or less, 8 question passages taking 9-10 mins)

Welcome to my life :mrgreen:

abujabal

Postby abujabal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Mikey wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:Finished RCB which included:

Welcome to my life :mrgreen:

me_iLR

Jack_Kelly

Postby Jack_Kelly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:13 pm

I wonder at what point I will transition from telling myself I should study to actually studying.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”