Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:06 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:completely bombed PT50 today

RC: -11
LR: -4 (-2 and -2)
LG:-1

am I ever going to do well on RC??????????? :evil: wtf is this shit man

Damn! Besides RC you are crushing it bro. Have you broken down your RC mistakes to anything in particular?

You will get it Mikey

Not really sure what is even going wrong tbh. I always finish reading the passage in the average amount of time of 3:30 or so, but questions just take me so damn long to do and my accuracy sucks either way. Going to see what I do next.

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Mikey wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:completely bombed PT50 today

RC: -11
LR: -4 (-2 and -2)
LG:-1

am I ever going to do well on RC??????????? :evil: wtf is this shit man

Damn! Besides RC you are crushing it bro. Have you broken down your RC mistakes to anything in particular?

You will get it Mikey

Not really sure what is even going wrong tbh. I always finish reading the passage in the average amount of time of 3:30 or so, but questions just take me so damn long to do and my accuracy sucks either way. Going to see what I do next.

The questions take so long because of your process referring back to the passage trying to answer the questions?

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:28 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
The questions take so long because of your process referring back to the passage trying to answer the questions?

yeah, that may be it I'm not entirely sure.

I've heard of people recording themselves doing a PT or section and seeing what they do wrong, take a long time on, etc. I may do something like this idk.

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Mikey wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

I've heard of people recording themselves doing a PT or section and seeing what they do wrong, take a long time on, etc. I may do something like this idk.

hmm maybe try slowing down and not worrying about time. Try to do a section on pure accuracy untimed and see how you do. YOu will be able to narrow down if:
1. your first read is too fast for you
2. you arent retaining much from the read and your scrambling during the questions
3. your strategy (i.e. Reading for structure) is off.

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Do you guys drill timed sections to warm up before a PT or go through your weakest areas at a regular pace?

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:51 pm

chewinggum wrote:Do you guys drill timed sections to warm up before a PT or go through your weakest areas at a regular pace?

I just do a hand full of questions, a game or so and a passage -- not full sections

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:57 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:Do you guys drill timed sections to warm up before a PT or go through your weakest areas at a regular pace?

I just do a hand full of questions, a game or so and a passage -- not full sections

Thanks!

littlewing67

Postby littlewing67 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Platopus wrote:
sukhvirlam wrote:How fast do you guys go through the ps bibles? Do you go through them slowly up until test day combined with frequent pt's or get through them in a couple of weeks/1 month (doing maybe 1-2 pt's in that time) and then begin regular pt's?

I started w/ the LG bible and got all the way through that, then starting drilling LG. Spent about 2 weeks just drilling LG and then started the LR bible. Once I got through that I started drilling LR and LG. Same w/ RC. Start slow and go through the books. Do the in-book drills and learn the material. Refer back frequently. I'm a big fan of the Manhattan LR book too. I would say it takes about ~20hr to go through each book, maybe a little more for LR.

edit for clarity: Get through all the books before you even touch a PT. I drilled for about 2 months before starting PT's. After that it was about 2 PT's a week, and 4-5 days of drilling. Usually 2 LR sections w/ review one day and LG and RC drilling w/ review the next.

Yea this was sort of what I was doing but wanted to see if I should prolong the info or not. I'll prob be finished with the LG and lr bibles by next week and begin PT's.

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Mikey wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Try a rc section untimed (tho time it to see how long it took you lol) and see how you do. Prob best way to see if timing is the issue or if its things u need to improve on.

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Just a couple of questions to warm up usually. I do make sure I don't pt soon after I wake up. I do my pt at least two hours after I wake up.

somebodyelse

Postby somebodyelse » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:52 pm

PT 70

Score: 170
LR: -2
RC: -2
LG: -2
LR2: -6

I've been a little frustrated with my test scores lately. I had a 3 test span where I went 172, 170, 175 and I thought I broke into the low mid 170s but after that my last 4 tests have been 169, 170, 169, 170.

On this test I don't know what the hell went wrong with my second LR section, it felt somewhat tough but I didn't do a great job with timing and I think I was feeling a little bit burnt out. Usually I've been between -2 and -5 total (trying to drill this down to consistent -2 or less). LG I'm just slightly slow still, but at a decent spot, just need more drilling I think. Need to get this to -0/-1. RC is where I'm happy. Was -5 or -4 on 5 straight tests and I finally got around to doing a little RC curriculum (LSAT Trainer), and I've gone -3 and -2 now.

Also, this is the first test in the 70s that I've taken, it does feel a little different.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:01 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
sukhvirlam wrote:How fast do you guys go through the ps bibles? Do you go through them slowly up until test day combined with frequent pt's or get through them in a couple of weeks/1 month (doing maybe 1-2 pt's in that time) and then begin regular pt's?

I started w/ the LG bible and got all the way through that, then starting drilling LG. Spent about 2 weeks just drilling LG and then started the LR bible. Once I got through that I started drilling LR and LG. Same w/ RC. Start slow and go through the books. Do the in-book drills and learn the material. Refer back frequently. I'm a big fan of the Manhattan LR book too. I would say it takes about ~20hr to go through each book, maybe a little more for LR.

edit for clarity: Get through all the books before you even touch a PT. I drilled for about 2 months before starting PT's. After that it was about 2 PT's a week, and 4-5 days of drilling. Usually 2 LR sections w/ review one day and LG and RC drilling w/ review the next.

Platopus- Did you complete the books completely and then start drilling or for example, did you go through the Assumption Family LR chapters and just drilled that by type for a few weeks before moving on?

For LG I drilled game types after completing the chapter on that game, but I completed the entire LR book before beginning to drill. I pretty much exclusively drilled complete sections, the only question type drilling was for Parallel Reasoning questions. I would reference back to the book, and occasionally redid the formal logic drills, but that was pretty much it. I went through the entire RC books too, but I didn't find them as helpful.

34iplaw

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:45 pm

I love you all. Can anyone give me the highlights of he last 15 pages?

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Platopus wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Platopus- Did you complete the books completely and then start drilling or for example, did you go through the Assumption Family LR chapters and just drilled that by type for a few weeks before moving on?

For LG I drilled game types after completing the chapter on that game, but I completed the entire LR book before beginning to drill. I pretty much exclusively drilled complete sections, the only question type drilling was for Parallel Reasoning questions. I would reference back to the book, and occasionally redid the formal logic drills, but that was pretty much it. I went through the entire RC books too, but I didn't find them as helpful.

Okay great, thanks.

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:38 pm

34iplaw wrote:I love you all. Can anyone give me the highlights of he last 15 pages?

A bunch of true LSAT hardcore crushing, and....

ALEX LEFT US

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:04 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
ALEX LEFT US

he can't do this to me

it's a joke, he's joking, he didn't actually leave

he'll be back for me, he will

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Anyone know if there's a good LSAT specific watch app for the Apple Watch? Not that I'm about to buy one for that reason but it'd be good to know

tapenade

Postby tapenade » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Are the earlier PTs worth doing? I'm not sure if it's just PT1 or if I miraculously improved, but I'm getting barely any questions wrong.

If the earlier tests aren't worth using, around what PT range should I drill? I'm trying to save the recent tests for August.

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:57 pm

sukhvirlam wrote:

Just a couple of questions to warm up usually. I do make sure I don't pt soon after I wake up. I do my pt at least two hours after I wake up.

Thanks!

augustyyy

Postby augustyyy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:03 am

clueless801 wrote:Anyone know if there's a good LSAT specific watch app for the Apple Watch? Not that I'm about to buy one for that reason but it'd be good to know

I dont think you can use apple watch for the actual test it has to be a mechanical one. I am using the mastermind LSAT watch and do think it is better than a regular watch

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:47 am

Platopus wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Were you just drilling lsat sections or were you following a book?

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:50 am

augustyyy wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Anyone know if there's a good LSAT specific watch app for the Apple Watch? Not that I'm about to buy one for that reason but it'd be good to know

I dont think you can use apple watch for the actual test it has to be a mechanical one. I am using the mastermind LSAT watch and do think it is better than a regular watch

I have this one. Its p great and has an adjustable top watchface/ring which allows you to set 0 at the current time to see when 35 mins is up. Its p useful.

https://www.amazon.ca/Casio-MRW200H-1BV ... words=dive

Barry grandpapy

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:28 am

Drilled LG for the first time in a month with -0 and 10 minutes left so I'm feeling pretty damn good right now.

tapenade

Postby tapenade » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 am

171 on PT1. Shocked, although I took it over the course of two days in between teaching classes.

Chalking it up to a fluke I guess!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”