The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

oopsu812

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by oopsu812 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:08 am

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:
galeatus wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote: Your nose looks a bit wonky though.
Goddammit. You're right.
no need for a normal looking nose when you're a fucking G
Alexander the G. Perfect.
Fucking right.

is my nose less wonky now
Yes Based Alex.

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:11 am

wwwwwhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy page 69

(yes i'm a perfectly mature grown-up)

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:20 am

34iplaw wrote:
abujabal wrote:Lots o text
I don't think you should be taking a PT every Saturday yet. Work on your fundamentals.
QQ to the assembled. This makes me think that I should be working through some LSAT Trainer or Powerscore for a like a month or so. (I maaaaay still take a PT every Saturday just because there are 80 of them and I'm not going to be doing more than 2/week most likely). So now the choice falls to you lot:

Which do I buy first?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:25 am

abujabal wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
I don't think you should be taking a PT every Saturday yet. Work on your fundamentals.
QQ to the assembled. This makes me think that I should be working through some LSAT Trainer or Powerscore for a like a month or so. (I maaaaay still take a PT every Saturday just because there are 80 of them and I'm not going to be doing more than 2/week most likely). So now the choice falls to you lot:

Which do I buy first?
I used just the LGB for about a month. But couldn't go wrong either way.

Echo the sentiment that I don't think you should be taking a PT every Saturday yet.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:25 am

galeatus wrote:wwwwwhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy page 69

(yes i'm a perfectly mature grown-up)
[+] Spoiler
abujabal wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Which do I buy first?
Between what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:27 am

abujabal wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Which do I buy first?
I'd say trainer, trainer is a better "intro to LSAT basics" book than the bibles, and the bibles are more useful after you start drilling

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:28 am

Which do I buy first?
Between what?
LSAT Trainer and Powerscore Bibles.

Also this is x2 on the no practice tests every Saturday yet. Not doubting, just curious why y'all think that? Seems like if they're there, might as well take them? Or is the argument that the 90s era tests are so off base that I'll mess myself up before I even start.

I also promise I will join in the memery once I get over the initial "how do you do bubble tests" anxiety

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:33 am

abujabal wrote:

Which do I buy first?
Between what?

Also this is x2 on the no practice tests every Saturday yet. Not doubting, just curious why y'all think that? Seems like if they're there, might as well take them? Or is the argument that the 90s era tests are so off base that I'll mess myself up before I even start.

I also promise I will join in the memery once I get over the initial "how do you do bubble tests" anxiety
If I had done that I think I would just have gotten very discouraged and burnt out, because you won't see the improvements you want. Beyond that, it really won't be much of a help at all at this point, so no reason to.

My recommendation is start PT-ing when you're semi-consistently drilling within a point or two of your target for each section.
Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:35 am

29 accepted on LSN for Y last cycle.
27 accepted thus far this cycle.
((scary music plays))

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 am

Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

If I had done that I think I would just have gotten very discouraged and burnt out. Beyond that, it really won't be much of a help at all at this point, so no reason to.

My recommendation is start PT-ing when you're semi-consistently drilling within a point or two of your target for each section.
Between the two, I dunno. If you get Trainer, make sure to check out his website. MK is super helpful/available.

Agreed with Alex here. In the end, PTs take 2-3 hours of your time, and, if you aren't where you need to be skill level wise, it will just burn material and time while possibly discouraging you from not seeing steady improvement. Doing questions by type is more beneficial than sections IMO in terms of actual learning... I just don't think you need to be doing a PT every week yet. I think you need to just work on sections and questions by type to improve your understanding of the test. IMO, focus on questions by type and focus on accuracy/fullness of understanding. One thing you could do during this phase that you never would during a test (for example) is think of what the wrong answer choices would look like on those abstract flawed reasoning questions - i.e. maybe the right answer is ad hominem, but you would benefit by learning just exactly what mistaking a necessary for a sufficient condition looks like.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 am

I wonder what exit options look like if you're a JD working in London BigLaw.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:51 am

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Agreed with Alex here. In the end, PTs take 2-3 hours of your time, and, if you aren't where you need to be skill level wise, it will just burn material and time while possibly discouraging you from not seeing steady improvement. Doing questions by type is more beneficial than sections IMO in terms of actual learning... I just don't think you need to be doing a PT every week yet. I think you need to just work on sections and questions by type to improve your understanding of the test. IMO, focus on questions by type and focus on accuracy/fullness of understanding. One thing you could do during this phase that you never would during a test (for example) is think of what the wrong answer choices would look like on those abstract flawed reasoning questions - i.e. maybe the right answer is ad hominem, but you would benefit by learning just exactly what mistaking a necessary for a sufficient condition looks like.
Hmm makes a lot of sense - appreciate the thoughts both of you. So perhaps a better thing to do with all these booklets I have lying around is to drill the sections after having done some LSAT Trainer/while doing some of that book to get a sense of the sections? I'd imagine 1-28 broken into sections x 1.5 months / 3-4 sections/week would get me to about June, at which point I could evaluate next steps.

Alternatively, I hear I could just wander into the admissions office and be really really sincere about how much I want to be a public defender and then I get a full-ride, right? That's totally not something that I just dreamed up at all...

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:52 am

oopsu812 wrote:I wonder what exit options look like if you're a JD working in London BigLaw.
Brexit consulting?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 am

abujabal wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:I wonder what exit options look like if you're a JD working in London BigLaw.
Brexit consulting?
:cry: :cry:

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 am

abujabal wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Hmm makes a lot of sense - appreciate the thoughts both of you. So perhaps a better thing to do with all these booklets I have lying around is to drill the sections after having done some LSAT Trainer/while doing some of that book to get a sense of the sections? I'd imagine 1-28 broken into sections x 1.5 months / 3-4 sections/week would get me to about June, at which point I could evaluate next steps.

Alternatively, I hear I could just wander into the admissions office and be really really sincere about how much I want to be a public defender and then I get a full-ride, right? That's totally not something that I just dreamed up at all...
I think that's a good idea. Or use for individual games, too.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:07 am

Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Welp I just plonked down the first $59ish of my legal career. Here's to hating myself at 3 AM while cramming for the Bar in 4.5 years (hopefully!)

Also how do you do GIFs in spoilers
[+] Spoiler
http://i.imgur.com/KUh9Pbw.gif

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 am

You probably haven't posted enough yet to use the img tags, but you would just replace the spoiler bit with img in the [ ]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 am

abujabal wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

Welp I just plonked down the first $59ish of my legal career. Here's to hating myself at 3 AM while cramming for the Bar in 4.5 years (hopefully!)

[+] Spoiler
WOOT 8)

Shit post to 100 and the TLS gods will let you post images/GIFs.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:13 am

(Real talk, I desperately need to stop shit-posting all over y'all's thread. Sorry folks. I'll see myself out. )

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:13 am

Tea sommelier, oh yes.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:17 am

Alexandros wrote:(Real talk, I desperately need to stop shit-posting all over y'all's thread. Sorry folks. I'll see myself out. )
yuge.gif

(^temporary stand-in)

also I notice I quoted the wrong one whoops

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 am

Alexandros wrote:(Real talk, I desperately need to stop shit-posting all over y'all's thread. Sorry folks. I'll see myself out. )
Please. You can't quit. You know you can't quit. Nobody likes a quitter.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:00 am

abujabal wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
abujabal wrote:

[+] Spoiler
I, unlike the other trolls in here, haven't sat for the test yet either. You and I are in comparable places in our studies, but I might be a bit further along than you are right now.

Tests 1-35 are the oldest (obviously), and many paid material use these tests for example problems. With that being said, many consider taking timed PTs from 1-35 a waste. You should use these tests are drilling material. Spend at least a month going through the trainer. Or Bibles, whatever you choose. After this, I think the next step is to practice individual sections (NOT full PT's). Use the sections from the tests in the 1-35 range. After you score your sections, compare the question types you struggle with, and then drill those specific question types. Once you are getting all types done within the time limit, and have the fundamentals down, then you can begin moving on to full PT's. When you get here, make sure you do blind review properly, and make sure you spend the time to learn from your mistakes.

Hit me up if you have any questions. Your on-topic off-topic posts are bogging down the shitposts useful material in here.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:37 am

TWiiX wrote:
Please. You can't quit. You know you can't quit. Nobody likes a quitter.
quitting is for nerds and people who aren't in the workforce

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:39 am

But you're retaking

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”