The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

abujabal

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Any thoughts on the best way to push up to -0 in LG from the -2/-4 zone?

If the answer is "drill baby drill" I'm ready for that, but hoping there's something easier than trying to move, find a new job, and take 2 hours of LSAT every night. Though I suppose if it was that easy, everyone would do it...

mnbv9876

New

Post by mnbv9876 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
mnbv9876 wrote:Does anyone get wildly inconsistent scores during prep?
My first take was a 154 like 2 years ago:|
Fast forward to nowish, next baseline post starting up studying again (~2 months studying) was 158, then I hit 160. I stopped studying for 3 whole weeks, started up again, took another full test a few days later, and got 169

-__- is it a fluke? Or is this all just due to not enough consistent practice? It just all seems like a very big difference.... I mean I completely choked for the 154, but still. I feel like scores should not fluctuate that much? And for some reason, LR average on timed sections went from -6 per section to -2 average after I stopped studying for 3 weeks. Similar improvement on LG, which is my worse section. Is this an argument for refreshing your mind? Like does taking a break from it make you do better in some cases? Like for anxious test takers or something? I dunno, it is just mainly confusing
I think you need a few more PTs to decide whether the 169 was a fluke or not. My PT scores go from 163-174, so I completely understand being confused by the variation. I definitely noticed that with more practice, I moved steadily into the 168-171 range. One thing to keep in mind is that some tests may play to your strengths better than others. If your strength is LR and your weakness is LG, then you might do better on a test with harder LR and easier LG. So I'd take a few more to see if your PT scores stay so high.

Do you use the 7sage tracker? If not, I highly recommend it.
Well RC was traditionally my strength, I wasn't doing too hot on LR, like -5/-7 per individual section, but for some reason after the 3 week hiatus all the practice sessions have been a lot better. Merp. let's see it it stays that way :shock: :?

Have not used the tracker, but have been using their LG videos, they're really helpful. Will check out the tracker, thanks :)

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:34 pm

I am convinced that my brain is simply not adept at understanding the rules of LG and making key inferences. I find myself trying to force my way through every game, which leaves me short on time as I get to the last few questions of the section, so I always end up getting -1 to -4. I am beyond frustrated at this point and do feel like giving up on it
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:37 pm

mnbv9876 wrote:
Well RC was traditionally my strength, I wasn't doing too hot on LR, like -5/-7 per individual section, but for some reason after the 3 week hiatus all the practice sessions have been a lot better. Merp. let's see it it stays that way :shock: :?

Have not used the tracker, but have been using their LG videos, they're really helpful. Will check out the tracker, thanks :)
Of course!! I really love the tracker because it tells you exactly what you need to work on.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:I am convinced that my brain is simply not adept at understanding the rules of LG and making key inferences. I find myself trying to force my way through every game, which leaves me short on time as I get to the last few questions of the section, so I always end up getting -1 to -4. I am beyond frustrated at this point and do feel like giving up on it
You know what has been helping me with those last few inferences is making a more conscious effort to look at each element that hasn't been directly addressed by a rule and figure out if they're actually floaters, or if there's something that secretly affects them. Seems that looking at "Element S - limited or no?" vs "oh this rule says that you can't have two elements from this thing in this slot at the same time" helps a ton

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:54 pm

abujabal wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:I am convinced that my brain is simply not adept at understanding the rules of LG and making key inferences. I find myself trying to force my way through every game, which leaves me short on time as I get to the last few questions of the section, so I always end up getting -1 to -4. I am beyond frustrated at this point and do feel like giving up on it
You know what has been helping me with those last few inferences is making a more conscious effort to look at each element that hasn't been directly addressed by a rule and figure out if they're actually floaters, or if there's something that secretly affects them. Seems that looking at "Element S - limited or no?" vs "oh this rule says that you can't have two elements from this thing in this slot at the same time" helps a ton
Agreed.. and to address your question from earlier-- drilling is the answer. Drilling Game Types, Full Sections, Making your own game packets and doing repeat games and sections helps a ton. Im making sure I do repeats because I've heard only then do the inferences and game flows really sink in your head. Ive been diligent about this and watching the 7Sage LG videos and Im getting more and more confident in LG. LG and the greater LSAT is just all about Relentless Study habits via repetition and review.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 pm

abujabal wrote:
Could you explain this a bit more? Are you saying that knowing whether the piece is a floater is helpful? I usually circle any floater(s) after I diagram my board. I find that I lose time because sometimes the variables almost turn into alphabet soup halfway through the games. So instead of accumulating knowledge and inferences as I progress through a game, I have to retread familiar ground, which is frustrating and time-consuming.
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
abujabal wrote:
Could you explain this a bit more? Are you saying that knowing whether the piece is a floater is helpful? I usually circle any floater(s) after I diagram my board. I find that I lose time because sometimes the variables almost turn into alphabet soup halfway through the games. So instead of accumulating knowledge and inferences as I progress through a game, I have to retread familiar ground, which is frustrating and time-consuming.
So, for instance, if you find yourself with multiple floaters, it's likely that at least one of them is somehow affected by another rule that you may be missing. Of course, they could all be floaters because the LSAT hates you, but it's likely they're not. So, for a game where there are subsets, for instance, it's likely that an element that isn't named is limited by some sort of subset rule. Or, for ordering games, there's a chance that eliminating spots/filling in your board a bit reveals that "oh well according to this, these two 'floaters' can only go in positions A, B, or C".

In short, I find that trying out all of the elements in the beginning and "brute forcing" an inference is often better than getting to the fourth question in the set and it's a CBF with like 5 separate inferences leading each AC and wasting time drawing each one out, praying to Dean Testy that the correct answer is A or B...

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:05 pm

abujabal wrote:Any thoughts on the best way to push up to -0 in LG from the -2/-4 zone?

If the answer is "drill baby drill" I'm ready for that, but hoping there's something easier than trying to move, find a new job, and take 2 hours of LSAT every night. Though I suppose if it was that easy, everyone would do it...
Drill baby drill.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
abujabal wrote:Any thoughts on the best way to push up to -0 in LG from the -2/-4 zone?

Drill baby drill.
y u do this to my free time lsac...

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Haven't checked this thread in a minute and soooo many new people. Welcome new faces!!!

Old faces - now that June scores have been released, I'm even more anxious because it's less than 9 weeks? to the exam and that's not nearly enough time for meeeee D: D: D:

Ira Hayes

New

Post by Ira Hayes » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:56 pm

clueless801 wrote:Haven't checked this thread in a minute and soooo many new people. Welcome new faces!!!

Old faces - now that June scores have been released, I'm even more anxious because it's less than 9 weeks? to the exam and that's not nearly enough time for meeeee D: D: D:
correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we 10 weeks out?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm

I would like to change my kinda check in right after the June test to officially a lurker/cheerleader/study buddy. I'll be studying as if I'm sitting for September but will sit in December to provide a buffer for fine tuning things between Oct-Dec since I don't think I can shore up everything I need for 170+ by the September test.

Also, plug for the December Study Group thread I just made if anyone else is already registered please join us!
Last edited by Experiment626 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:23 pm

PT 58 - 175 (LG: -2, LR: -2, RC: -2). Looking for those last couple points and consistency. September is coming up quickly.

digitality

New

Post by digitality » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:34 pm

any tips for when you get discouraged? I just had the worst LG practice session — like the actual worst. I'd really rather not elaborate on the gory details, but for the first time I feel like I'm nowhere near where I should be.

Tcookphl

New

Post by Tcookphl » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 am

Anyone have any suggestions for good LG resources besides 7sage. Sometimes I feel JY doesn't go through the questions as thouroughly as I need him too. I always feel confidentwhen I'm drilling LG then I get to the preptests and I legit have no idea what I'm doing. I feel like every game is something I haven't done before....maybe I just haven't done enough? I'm going to dedicate my entire Saturday this weekend to BRing my most recent test and doing a shit ton of logic games. I'm improving a lot on LR, went from -14 to -7 in a month, but logic games I always tend to freeze on.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:21 am

Tcookphl wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for good LG resources besides 7sage. Sometimes I feel JY doesn't go through the questions as thouroughly as I need him too. I always feel confidentwhen I'm drilling LG then I get to the preptests and I legit have no idea what I'm doing. I feel like every game is something I haven't done before....maybe I just haven't done enough? I'm going to dedicate my entire Saturday this weekend to BRing my most recent test and doing a shit ton of logic games. I'm improving a lot on LR, went from -14 to -7 in a month, but logic games I always tend to freeze on.
If you're going -7 on LG drills, I believe that means books would be more valuable than drilling for you right now. I recommend going through any of the Powerscore, Manhattan, or LSAT trainer chapters on LG. Be sure to do all of the drills, especially when you think you already get it. Once you're at -2 to -4 max on an LG section I suggest moving up to drills. Then you should drill games by type and shoot for completing them in under the 7sage recommended time. With all of this, you should still be keeping a consistent RC/LR and PT schedule in prep for September. Do not focus only on LG to get it perfect and then one month out realize your LR and RC blows.

You got this!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:58 am

digitality wrote:any tips for when you get discouraged? I just had the worst LG practice session — like the actual worst. I'd really rather not elaborate on the gory details, but for the first time I feel like I'm nowhere near where I should be.
I've been here. Some nights I just have the worst results (like last night on LR, tho I was falling asleep while doing it lol). To help bring myself up Im constantly reminding myself that these questions really aren't that hard. Other than LG, which just takes practice, for the other question they are closed worlds where only 1 answer is 100% correct and 4 are 100% wrong. I feel this attitude helps me by making the scale of the LSAT less intimidating.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:50 pm

digitality wrote:any tips for when you get discouraged? I just had the worst LG practice session — like the actual worst. I'd really rather not elaborate on the gory details, but for the first time I feel like I'm nowhere near where I should be.
Just gotta put it past you and move forward even stronger. it happens to everyone... don't feel discouraged

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:13 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Am I the only who marks RC passages heavily? I find if I don't underline and mark it out I don't fully obsorb the context, but at the same time I need to clean it up more because i believe it's making me take longer without added accuracy. And recently I've been scribbling short notes to summarize the paragraph to get the structure. Like bg for background and then like crit vs. pro for opposing views. But I think my note taking is sucking up time as well. Sigh...
You are not alone! I destroy my RC passages, but I have been working on and better about doing it with a purpose. Even LR i underline and circle. It just gets me in this predatory mindset of laser focus when i do that haha so i still do it

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:14 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Am I the only who marks RC passages heavily? I find if I don't underline and mark it out I don't fully obsorb the context, but at the same time I need to clean it up more because i believe it's making me take longer without added accuracy. And recently I've been scribbling short notes to summarize the paragraph to get the structure. Like bg for background and then like crit vs. pro for opposing views. But I think my note taking is sucking up time as well. Sigh...
You're not alone. Right now the best method I've come across that has helped me is literally taking each normal length paragraph and writing a 4-6 word summary of what's in it. If a paragraph is super long breaking it into sections based on the contents. Although it doesn't really add more than like 30-45 seconds to my reading of the passage and gives me the signposts I need when referring back to the passage to answer a question.

Csupo

New

Post by Csupo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Mikey wrote:
Csupo wrote:What do people think is the best method for formal logic? 7sage or PowerScore (Some and Most Train)?
I like 7sage. they have a whole section in their curriculum just for formal logic.
Yeah, I agree. I went through PowerScore's method and it seemed overly complicated for a mnemonic to me. I did like the Logic Ladder thing, but I think I'll stick with 7Sage's method for just memorizing the Formal Logic combinations.

Question for anybody in this thread: I've read some people say that they've taken a PT with "five sections." Just wondering what this means? Is the fifth section experimental? How do people have access to experimental sections?

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”