Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
19%

Total votes: 42

Impressionist

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Impressionist » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 am

clueless801 wrote:Welp someone help pls. I've been focusing on LR because that's been the part where I'm losing the majority of my points. I've read different study guides to see how I should approach LR. I know I've improved but not nearly enough and I'm getting to that point where I'm probably in the camp of people who at some point just stop getting LR. It's really depressing :/ Makes me feel like I should stop thinking about attending a T-13 school.

Maybe take a break from LR/PTs for a few days and only look at RC/LG questions. The better you do at those the less good you have to do at LR. Plus worst case scenario you retake in December and still apply this cycle to every school on your list. Think of LR training as an ongoing process and just get what you can in the next 8 days rather than trying to master it. Every little improvement matters.

HesusChrist

Postby HesusChrist » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 am

Scored a 175 on PT 79 on Tuesday so I'm feeling decent. Trying to decide if I should take PT 80 or 81 before Sat and risk a low, confidence destroying score, or do a couple retakes from the 70's to maintain confidence. Thoughts?

ilpsm

Postby ilpsm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 am

HesusChrist wrote:Scored a 175 on PT 79 on Tuesday so I'm feeling decent. Trying to decide if I should take PT 80 or 81 before Sat and risk a low, confidence destroying score, or do a couple retakes from the 70's to maintain confidence. Thoughts?

Definitely take newer ones! I can't imagine you scoring devastatingly low on either of them if you scored a 175 on 79.

Just took PT 70 last night and scored a 175, exactly my average. Interestingly/depressingly, though RC and LR tend to make up the entirety of my -5 to -7, I went -3 on LG on this test (-2 RC, -0/-1 LR1/LR2). Hopefully this is indicative of my LR and RC scores going up as I'm confident that I can go -0 on LG if I'm paying attention on test day, but who knows if that'll happen

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:21 am

HesusChrist wrote:Scored a 175 on PT 79 on Tuesday so I'm feeling decent. Trying to decide if I should take PT 80 or 81 before Sat and risk a low, confidence destroying score, or do a couple retakes from the 70's to maintain confidence. Thoughts?

81 isn't so bad. the -9 curve sucks, but the only hard thing was RC, which after doing review you find out that it's not even that bad.

80 has a weird game and fucked my confidence up yesterday.

littlewing67

Postby littlewing67 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:14 pm

ilpsm wrote:

Definitely take newer ones! I can't imagine you scoring devastatingly low on either of them if you scored a 175 on 79.

Just took PT 70 last night and scored a 175, exactly my average. Interestingly/depressingly, though RC and LR tend to make up the entirety of my -5 to -7, I went -3 on LG on this test (-2 RC, -0/-1 LR1/LR2). Hopefully this is indicative of my LR and RC scores going up as I'm confident that I can go -0 on LG if I'm paying attention on test day, but who knows if that'll happen

Yeah although its tough and I still am having some confidence issues despite stellar PT scores for the most part, I would take it so you know what taking a terrible (Wosrt case scenario PT is like). IF you do great, that should be a nice confidence-booster; On the contrary, even if you do just ok, you can think of it as your bottom line and know that everything on test day can only be better

Walliums

Postby Walliums » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:19 pm

clueless801 wrote:Welp someone help pls. I've been focusing on LR because that's been the part where I'm losing the majority of my points. I've read different study guides to see how I should approach LR. I know I've improved but not nearly enough and I'm getting to that point where I'm probably in the camp of people who at some point just stop getting LR. It's really depressing :/ Makes me feel like I should stop thinking about attending a T-13 school.

I was in this boat. I'm doing much better with LR now. It's still not my best section, but I've improved enough to be PTing consistently in the 170s. What books have you used so far? Biggest help for me was Manhattan LR - for others LSAT Trainer was the biggest help.

Since you are taking in September I would try to give yourself a mental break. You are probably close to or already burning out. Maybe what is better for you right now is to just review some overall topics - common assumptions on the LSAT, practicing identifying conclusion and premises (argument core), etc.

Walliums

Postby Walliums » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Anyone else taking PT 80 tomorrow?

lsataddict242

Postby lsataddict242 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:33 pm

I wouldn't take it. At this point it is not going to really do anything if you do score below 175. I personally would choose to do some exercises from older material and keep my morale high. :) You'd be surprised how much your mental state can influence your performance. Save the tests for a potential retake in the future if you do score lower than 175.

saf18hornet

Postby saf18hornet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:15 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Yeah took 81 yesterday, and I didn't find it to be hard actually. Couple of odd ball LR, and the hardest thing was RC (in my opinion). 2nd passage killed me with -3 and was a time sunk causing me to rush through the last passage barely reading it and making me go -3 on it. Also silly mistake on 1st passage question 2.

PT 81
EXP LR -2
RC -7 (BR -3)
LR -4 (BR -3)
LG -3 (BR-0)
LR -2 (BR -2)
165/ BR 171

I pretty much made a lot of careless mistakes, especially in LG. Thinking I might be burnt out so I am not sure if I want to take 2 more PTs before next week or what :?:

[+] Spoiler
LR questions that were tough for me: darker roast coffee vs. light, people watching themselves exercise, tenants paying heat like wtf

If you got any points off on the LG on PT81, you should plan to spend more time working on LG. That was the easiest LG section I have ever seen. Get that low hanging fruit.

littlewing67

Postby littlewing67 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:32 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
Well took PT 69 today and scored a 173 :mrgreen: Found it ridiculously easy. Not sure if I should keep my confidence and just do sections for the next couple of days, or do a PT on Monday/Tuesday like I had planned.

Also, can you print your admissions ticket in black and white or does it have to be color?

1 week folks let's do this! I truly believe you guys are amazing and dedicated people who deserve the great scores you are going to receive. :!:

ayyyyyyyyye :)

also, it can be black and white

MercW07

Postby MercW07 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:28 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
RSolano wrote:How many -0 LG sections would you guys say you went before you considered yourself someone who's consistently -0 on logic games?

I was -6 for months and suddenly in the past week my last three sections I went -0. From tests in the 40s. Did 7sage fool proof method. Wondering if these sections are maybe just easier than 70s and most recent tests?

Do PT 27 and PT B. If you get -0 on both of those I'd say you're all set

If you legitimately go -0 on PT 27 under timed conditions then Im am thoroughly impressed lol Game 1 is easy, but if you don't get it done in around 5 mins you're gonna be screwed because game 2 is just stupid hard, and of course you wont know that until you finish game 1. JY gives a good explanation as to how to solve that game, but on test day that one just had be a huge time sink. Game 3 is quite a bit easier IF you don't spend a ton of time on the first question. The last game has a 4 star rating but is actually quite easy. Im guessing its rated 4 stars simply because everyone spent all of their time on games 2 and 3 and had to guess their way through game 4. The LSAT writers really went out of their way on this section to make it exceedingly difficult tho so good luck.

Walliums

Postby Walliums » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Did PT 80 today.

172 scaled/93 raw

LR1: -3
RC: -3
LG: -2 :?
LR2: -0 :D
---
-3 on my experimental LR

Am I ready?

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Walliums wrote:Did PT 80 today.

172 scaled/93 raw

---
-3 on my experimental LR

Am I ready?

You're golden <3!

Walliums

Postby Walliums » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Walliums wrote:Did PT 80 today.

172 scaled/93 raw

---
-3 on my experimental LR

Am I ready?

You're golden <3!

<3 <3 <3

clueless801

Postby clueless801 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Impressionist wrote:Maybe take a break from LR/PTs for a few days and only look at RC/LG questions. The better you do at those the less good you have to do at LR. Plus worst case scenario you retake in December and still apply this cycle to every school on your list. Think of LR training as an ongoing process and just get what you can in the next 8 days rather than trying to master it. Every little improvement matters.

I guess I'm stubborn because I'm still working on LR. I decided to do sections untimed and to really hone in on the skills necessary for them. I'm seeing improvement already - I used to average -7/8 per section (yeah it was THAT bad) and right now I just got -3. The rest of today is going to be spent on making sure I'm absolutely tackling the questions right. When I was prepping, I used to drill question types and then jumped into doing timed sections via the PrepTests. I completely overlooked the fact that I should probably also get used to the changing question types and I'm sure that as much tripped me up as the timing did. I don't know how much improvement I'll be able to make for the rest of this weekend, but you're right - every little improvement matters!

Walliums wrote:I was in this boat. I'm doing much better with LR now. It's still not my best section, but I've improved enough to be PTing consistently in the 170s. What books have you used so far? Biggest help for me was Manhattan LR - for others LSAT Trainer was the biggest help.

Since you are taking in September I would try to give yourself a mental break. You are probably close to or already burning out. Maybe what is better for you right now is to just review some overall topics - common assumptions on the LSAT, practicing identifying conclusion and premises (argument core), etc.

I started with the Trainer, which I still absolutely love for giving me a solid base, but I found it lacking when it came to more explaining how to specifically tackle questions. It was great in giving the general gist, but I didn't find it so helpful with really getting to the problems with a question. It could've definitely been just me and not the book. I subscribed to the Manhattan Prep LSAT Brief a couple of weeks ago and I read through and tried to understand their take on different questions and that's helped TREMENDOUSLY. There were all these tips and analyses that I didn't find in the Trainer. If there was time (and if I retake the test in December which I may!), I'd probably purchase their book and work through logical reasoning.

para219

Postby para219 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Feeling kind of discouraged guys. Started prepping the second week of August. Have taken three PTs, averaging a 163. LG is my biggest inconsistency and I've been drilling them the last few weeks. Got them them down to about -3/-4 timed.

I've been considering not sitting for the September administration. I already have two takes on file 157-->164. I'm a MA URM with a 3.3X GPA. I know that realistically I need a 170+ for T13 and I'm not sure I will be there next week.

Any thoughts?

abujabal

Postby abujabal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:44 pm

PT 79 today:

PT 79

LR1: -1
RC: -4 (extremely frustrating)
LG: -4 (ran out of time and guessed on 3 viruses...)
LGe: -2
LR2: -3

-12 | 170

Just squeaked into the 170s. Really really messed up the logic games, need to do more drilling of the weird games before test day.

Any thoughts on what my PT schedule should be for next week?
I have PTs 77, 78, and 80 left. I was thinking 77 on Monday, but do I do 78 or 80 on Wednesday? Or should I not take a PT on Wednesday. Really would appreciate insight

Impressionist

Postby Impressionist » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Happy to bounce back after a day of rest (Think I do better after days of minimal LSAT study and no PT..).

PT 73: 175

E. LG: -1
LR: -3
LG: -0
LR: -1

Last miss on the first LR was so dumb and I noticed it the second I ran out of time. Still, my general observations are keeping true. If I hit my average in LG and RC (-3 max between the two) and avoid missing the easy/medium LR questions, then I'm golden for a 170 and likely around a 175. Took a 5 hour energy before the test. Not sure if it helped but definitely didn't feel like it hurt.

Going to spend tomorrow watching football and doing some light LR review and see how Monday goes.

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Despite performing well, I wasn't as confident as I should Have been until I crushed PT 79 today and got a 175. Despite anticipating the Lacquer passage and Virus game I didnt remember any of the questions and have never reviewed this test after sitting for this administration. The only value-add that I got from knowing about this PT was I totally skipped the laquer passage and came back to it after i finished the 4th passage (Which definitely helped a prob 1-2 questions, but RC is a strongsuit of mine anyway). I crushed the LG section with 15 min remaining to focus on the virus game and went -1. Regardless, overall I am pretty pumped for being 1 week out.

PT 79

LR: -2
RC:-2
LG(exp):-0
LG:-1
LR:-1

I hit 177 on PT 78 2 days ago too, so just gotta tighten some loose ends and crush it. Wish there were a few more weeks though to prep ;P

KaijuOh8

Postby KaijuOh8 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:51 pm

166 on PT 81. I have been scoring in the 170s. Huge letdown. :(

Lxwind

Postby Lxwind » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:51 pm

PT 75 180 98/100
LR -0
RC -1
exp LR 56 -2
LR -1
LG -0 (Lucky, the last question I narrowed it down to 2 options and intuitively chose one without proof right before I ran out of time...took me 10 more seconds to realize that I chose the right one)

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the score on 7sage :shock: :shock: .First 180 ever!! Both LR sections passed smoothly with around 5 minutes to spare. First time to feel ready for RC..though I'm sure this PT is just one of the luckier ones since I just scored 172 on PT74 yesterday with a -3 LG section, due to a stupid mistake I made when I read the problem...wasted 8 minutes with a wrongly read condition...Aiming for 175 on test day. Keep working!

thepsychedelic

Postby thepsychedelic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:22 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:Despite performing well, I wasn't as confident as I should Have been until I crushed PT 79 today and got a 175. Despite anticipating the Lacquer passage and Virus game I didnt remember any of the questions and have never reviewed this test after sitting for this administration. The only value-add that I got from knowing about this PT was I totally skipped the laquer passage and came back to it after i finished the 4th passage (Which definitely helped a prob 1-2 questions, but RC is a strongsuit of mine anyway). I crushed the LG section with 15 min remaining to focus on the virus game and went -1. Regardless, overall I am pretty pumped for being 1 week out.

PT 79

LR: -2
RC:-2
LG(exp):-0
LG:-1
LR:-1

I hit 177 on PT 78 2 days ago too, so just gotta tighten some loose ends and crush it. Wish there were a few more weeks though to prep ;P

I took this test today too and with the same situation (remembering some aspects from when I sat for it) and got the same score! haha congrats on the 175!

rideagain

Postby rideagain » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:48 am

Tied for my best PT to date yesterday, PT 77

LG -0
LR1 -0
LR2- 3 (one of which was the stupidest mistake I've made in a long time, I misread weaken as strengthten)
RC- -2

176 overall. The office game was actually super easy once you see it for what it is- and that's coming from someone who usually bombs weird games. I don't expect to do so well on test day but even 3 or 4 points lower and I'd be thrilled. Really hoping if there's a weird game I figure it out as well as I did the office one.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”