saf18hornet

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby saf18hornet » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:47 am

Took PT 78 last night.

LR: --3/-4
LG: -0
RC: -1

Tough curve, converts into a 172.
Spending 2 weeks in July doing only RC has really paid off. My -7 RC average right before the June test is down to -3 and that has been all the difference!
Last edited by saf18hornet on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walliums

Postby Walliums » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:29 am

Last edited by Walliums on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

para219

Postby para219 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:42 pm

saf18hornet wrote:Took PT 178 last night.

Spending 2 weeks in July doing only RC has really paid off. My -7 RC average right before the June test is down to -3 and that has been all the difference!

Nice work! Out of curiosity what did you do during those two weeks?

creed

Postby creed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 pm

About to take PT 65.

Has anyone here hit a 178-180 PT? If so, how'd you break that barrier from mid-high 170's?

saf18hornet

Postby saf18hornet » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:01 pm

para219 wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:Took PT 178 last night.

Nice work! Out of curiosity what did you do during those two weeks?

My biggest issue up until June was time. I was barely getting through 3 passages in the 30 minutes, leaving me just enough time to not make total guesses on the last passage. So I was typically getting -1/-2 total on the first 3 passages, and then getting a lucky point or so on the last passage but missing 4 to 6 more on the final passage alone.

After I got my June score back with a -8 on RC (5 on the last passage), I took all the RC sections from 29-38 and did them as timed passages, with significant effort placed on reading faster and focusing even greater on ONLY structure. From this passage drilling, I decreased my average time to read a passage from ~3:30 to ~2 minutes. This is a LOT of time. I also forced myself to guess and move on from any questions that I was struggling b/w 2 choices. That's about 2 minutes per passage extra that I could spend referring back to the text to look up and pre-phrase answers.

This has helped me in a few ways:
1) Confidence - which is obviously HUGE on this test. Feeling iffy on a question can have significant snowball affects on how we attack not just the subsequent questions, but also throughout the entire exam and even into the next section
2) I have found that I only use about half of that 2 minutes I gained from reading quicker, and it's usually to confirm that answer that I historically would have waffled on for too long, fearing I didn't have enough time to refer back and confirm the correct answer.
3) Since I'm only using half of that 2 minutes, I am now rolling the remaining 3 minutes from the first 3 passages onto my usual 5 minutes remaining, so I have a full 8 minutes to do that last passage, which is a little tight sometimes, but usually enough

TLDR: I practiced reading faster, and really figured out how to read for structure.

Barry grandpapy

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:10 pm

creed wrote:About to take PT 65.

Has anyone here hit a 178-180 PT? If so, how'd you break that barrier from mid-high 170's?

I think it boils down to several things:

-flawless LG. If you're getting that score I bet you finish with at least 5 minutes to double check boards or weird substitution rule questions.

-no stupid LR mistakes. I don't care who you are or how long you've been studying. If one or two LR questions out of 49-52 don't give you trouble you are lying. Not making stupid mistakes will save your ass for that one curve breaking LR question.

-cycle your routine around the PT/test. I usually build up to PTs. My schedule looks like: one drill of each section with review, then two of each the next day, then PT the next day. I don't believe going all out all day helps.
*2nd day RC/LG drills are prearranged 4-5 star 7sage ranked passages/games. This makes the real PT next day feel so much easier.

-confidence. This can backfire if you're overconfident and skip AC's, but I'd prefer confidence to selfdoubt

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:26 pm

got my ASS kicked by PT80 today. Jesus Christ, what the hell was game 4?!??!?!?

PT80

LR: -2/-4
LG: -5
RC:-6

creed

Postby creed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:

-flawless LG. If you're getting that score I bet you finish with at least 5 minutes to double check boards or weird substitution rule questions.

-no stupid LR mistakes. I don't care who you are or how long you've been studying. If one or two LR questions out of 49-52 don't give you trouble you are lying. Not making stupid mistakes will save your ass for that one curve breaking LR question.

-cycle your routine around the PT/test. I usually build up to PTs. My schedule looks like: one drill of each section with review, then two of each the next day, then PT the next day. I don't believe going all out all day helps.
*2nd day RC/LG drills are prearranged 4-5 star 7sage ranked passages/games. This makes the real PT next day feel so much easier.

-confidence. This can backfire if you're overconfident and skip AC's, but I'd prefer confidence to selfdoubt

Makes sense. I had a sense of the first two but have had a hard time nailing it down (by which I mean I do -0 LG and no dumb LR mistakes like 75% of the time but can't seem to get it up to 90-95%)

Second two are also really useful. Thanks

creed

Postby creed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:54 pm

PT 65: 173

LR1: -3
LG: -3
RC: -2
LR2: -2

This was easily the most annoying PT I've taken in a month. Mostly bc I should've been -0/-1 on LG but wasn't for dumb reasons. T God no friday classes so I can do a solid review tomorrow

abujabal

Postby abujabal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Just took PT81 and holy hell my heart goes out to all the June takers:

PT 81

RC: -2
LR1: -3
LGe: Ungraded. Flopped on my start of three games so left 12 questions blank (!!!). I know this is a fluke though so I'm not perturbed.
LR2: -3

-8 | 171

That curve is just silly. I have nothing more to say on the matter.

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:

What do you mean by drill of each section? Like do a LG, rc and lr section on day -2, do 2 of rc, lg, and lr the day before and then do the pt?

caramelizedgod

Postby caramelizedgod » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Did the PT 79 everyone has been talking about.

168 - 87

LR: -7
RC: -4
LG: -1
LR: -2

Weird, frustrating test. Thought the virus game was easy but a little time consuming trying to figure it out. Gotta stop trying to do a gameboard in my head. A couple really strange LR and RC questions that I thought were just really bad questions to have on the test (vague or borderline correct).

sabraph

Postby sabraph » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Anyone care to share their best mental preparation tips/strategies for staying calm during the test since the September admin is rapidly approaching? I think aside from reviewing incorrect Qs and a couple more PTs this will be a major focus for me.

abujabal

Postby abujabal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:39 pm

sabraph wrote:Anyone care to share their best mental preparation tips/strategies for staying calm during the test since the September admin is rapidly approaching? I think aside from reviewing incorrect Qs and a couple more PTs this will be a major focus for me.

In my opinion, the only thing that you should have on your mind during a test is:

- The question in front of you
- The answers in front of you
- How many questions you have left
- How much time is left

I would drill sections with that in mind. Try to stay as calm and focused as possible, and be mindful of the fact that you should only be thinking of those things. I would not use negative motivation to get yourself back on track if you wander, definitely no "holy shit this is the LSAT why are you thinking about what you're going to have for dinner you're going to flunk if you don't focus up" because that just makes you more tense. If you're wandering on a question, "bank" the lack of focus on that question and hit up the next one and come back

Barry grandpapy

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:45 pm

caramelizedgod wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:

What do you mean by drill of each section? Like do a LG, rc and lr section on day -2, do 2 of rc, lg, and lr the day before and then do the pt?

Yeah that's what I mean!

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Hey everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions for particularly difficult LG sections (not indv. games)?

Barry grandpapy

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 pm

chewinggum wrote:Hey everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions for particularly difficult LG sections (not indv. games)?

You can sort them by difficulty on 7sage to find one. I believe that feature is free but correct me if i am wrong. Sorry I don't know any off hand.

Impressionist

Postby Impressionist » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:20 pm

PT 72 game 4. WTF did I do to deserve this LSAC... didn't make a key inference until one min was left :roll:

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Last edited by Mikey on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impressionist

Postby Impressionist » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Mikey wrote:
Impressionist wrote:PT 72 game 4. WTF did I do to deserve this LSAC... didn't make a key inference until one min was left :roll:

haven't done that PT, but PT 80's weird game is just stupid af

knocked me right out of the 170's

Ditto. Knocked me off a 170 to a 168. Granted I just screwed the pooch on RC which is abnormal. Far cry from my 175 and 176 a few days ago. I've found that I go as far as LG and RC, which are my strong points, take me. Either of those is off average and I'm in trouble. If they are on average and I don't miss any easy/medium LR questions and I'm guaranteed a 173+. Save me baby LSAC Jesus!

Impressionist

Postby Impressionist » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:23 pm

chewinggum wrote:Hey everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions for particularly difficult LG sections (not indv. games)?

Have fun with PT 68. :twisted:

Granted I was tired when i took it but that knocked me on my ass. Has two 5 star difficulty games according to 7sage.

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Impressionist wrote:

Have fun with PT 68. :twisted:

Granted I was tired when i took it but that knocked me on my ass. Has two 5 star difficulty games according to 7sage.

I took 68 a few weeks ago so I def feel this. Gross! I might go back and drill the games though, so thanks for reminding me.

Impressionist wrote:PT 72 game 4. WTF did I do to deserve this LSAC... didn't make a key inference until one min was left :roll:

That game was an actual nightmare :(

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 pm

looks like I'll never be doing PT 72 *thumbs up*

already took that PT80 -5 LG hit. RIP MY CONFIDENCE

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:05 pm

Welp someone help pls. I've been focusing on LR because that's been the part where I'm losing the majority of my points. I've read different study guides to see how I should approach LR. I know I've improved but not nearly enough and I'm getting to that point where I'm probably in the camp of people who at some point just stop getting LR. It's really depressing :/ Makes me feel like I should stop thinking about attending a T-13 school.

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:17 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:

You can sort them by difficulty on 7sage to find one. I believe that feature is free but correct me if i am wrong. Sorry I don't know any off hand.

Damn, didnt know this was possible but just tried it out and you can search games by difficulty and other various tags. For the last 9 days def going to focus on some of the hardest games listed there

Thanks.

PS I am a free user so it is not a paid-feature.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”