The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

mwells56

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by mwells56 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:09 am

Ntp73821 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
On like any other test my raw would've been like a 168 and I would've been content with that (although I would've retaken anyway). Screw this curve.

I was just hoping for a 170. I think I'm going to set my new goal at 172, though, since I'm having to study more.
I'm basically going to throw myself into the LSAT like it's nobody's business. I was looking for a 170 as well, now I'm gunna try for as close to 180 as I can possibly get. Going to start doing stuff on my lunch breaks/on the train. Once my internship is over I'll have pretty much all of August to do nothing but LSAT stuff before the semester starts. Will try to do 3ish 5 sectiosn PTs a week plus 3-4 hours of drilling on other days.

ab9315

New

Post by ab9315 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:10 am

What would y'all recommend in terms of materials/programs for someone who knows all of the basics (enough to PT 170s multiple times) but needs to shore up everything? I had a tutor for June who was great but I think I need hard materials. Don't want to waste time learning basics since I've got that, and willing to pay really whatever.

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:14 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:I'm not starting to study until Monday. Don't have it in me, still mourning.
Same. But my birthday is Wednesday and I don't plan to study that day either. I plan to get really going with my studying after that, though. :D
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:16 am

mwells56 wrote:
I'm basically going to throw myself into the LSAT like it's nobody's business. I was looking for a 170 as well, now I'm gunna try for as close to 180 as I can possibly get. Going to start doing stuff on my lunch breaks/on the train. Once my internship is over I'll have pretty much all of August to do nothing but LSAT stuff before the semester starts. Will try to do 3ish 5 sectiosn PTs a week plus 3-4 hours of drilling on other days.
Yeah, I mean, getting as close to 180 as possible should be everyone's goal. I'm just afraid that if I go into my studying with a mentality of 180 or bust, I'll end up frustrated if I don't meet that goal.

Your plan sounds solid, though, good luck!!!

Anyone have insight on how long it took them to go through the Trainer?
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:25 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 am

Last edited by Alexandros on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 am

ab9315 wrote:What would y'all recommend in terms of materials/programs for someone who knows all of the basics (enough to PT 170s multiple times) but needs to shore up everything? I had a tutor for June who was great but I think I need hard materials. Don't want to waste time learning basics since I've got that, and willing to pay really whatever.
I'm literally just going to do as many questions as humanly possible at this point. When you get to this level where you can get into the 170s, it's not understanding, it's about consistency (at least for me it is).

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 am

I think I'm gonna get the LR Trainer. I was pretty inconsistent with it leading up to the test and never did better than -3. Went -8 on test day and really screwed myself.

Other than that I'm just drilling and PTs, I'm ok in RC and LG, a little more practice can get me to maybe -0 on RC consistently too.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:33 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:I think I'm gonna get the LR Trainer. I was pretty inconsistent with it leading up to the test and never did better than -3. Went -8 on test day and really screwed myself.

Other than that I'm just drilling and PTs, I'm ok in RC and LG, a little more practice can get me to maybe -0 on RC consistently too.
The trainer is great. I really liked the Trainers RC components as well in addition to LR. Ended up skipping half the LG. Didnt find it as helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:52 am

colorlesstazaki wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:Apologies if this questions has already been asked and thoroughly answered. I am looking to specifically improve LR and RC. I have completed both powerscore bibles and am wondering if manhattan or trainer would be more effective. Thoughts? :)
I'm not entirely sure about Manhattan's RC or LR, but their LG combined with Powerscore's LG helped me nearly perfect LG.
I personally found The LSAT Trainer's RC the best, and Manhattan's LR the best. Some people don't like the trainers RC method though because it's pretty minimalist and not overly formulaic. But that worked for me, so ymmv.

jagerbom79 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:I think I'm gonna get the LR Trainer. I was pretty inconsistent with it leading up to the test and never did better than -3. Went -8 on test day and really screwed myself.

The trainer is great. I really liked the Trainers RC components as well in addition to LR. Ended up skipping half the LG. Didnt find it as helpful.
I agree. Skip the LG stuff in the trainer and just do 7sage. Everything else though, the trainer is great.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:59 am

twiix wrote:
I personally found The LSAT Trainer's RC the best, and Manhattan's LR the best. Some people don't like the trainers RC method though because it's pretty minimalist and not overly formulaic. But that worked for me, so ymmv.
I have a minimalist approach to RC myself. I don't do anything other than read the passage and refer back to it as needed. I usually never miss more than 2. LR is my nemesis, I don't think I gave it the attention it quite deserves.

sunniebunnie

New

Post by sunniebunnie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Retaking in September after first-time June score was around 6 points lower than PT average... yikes.

My question is, can we predict the curve in any way? Is September usually more lenient than June? Will LSAC have mercy on us after that brutal -9??

bluelagoon2208

New

[deleted]

Post by bluelagoon2208 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:02 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by bluelagoon2208 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cmoney $$

New

Post by Cmoney $$ » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:02 pm

After staring in disbelief at my June score last night, I've made the decision to retake in September. It was a difficult decision, but my score put me below the 25 percentile for the schools I plan to attend. I don't really care about scholarships because I have the post 9/11 GI Bill and VA Vocational Rehab money, but these won't do me any good if I'm not accepted somewhere reputable. I'd hate to waste such a great benefit.

I nailed RC with -0, but I expected that. It has historically been my strength in any standardized test. However, I performed pathetically on the LR and LG sections. I just purchased the Fox prep books for each section. Any advice from those who are strong in those sections? I work full time and have a wife/kids, so I can really only dedicate about 3 hours per day to study after my family is in bed.

I think my wife was more upset than I was last night when I received my score because she knows I'm going to be preoccupied for the next 60ish days!

Blougram

New

Post by Blougram » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:13 pm

On the June test, I scored -3 combined on LR1 and LR2 and -4 on RC, but -12 on LG. Given this, I think I will focus almost exclusively on LG until September. If I can get the hang of diagramming and making inferences without panicking and trying to brute force my way through, 170+ shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

Some positive signs: In early June, I averaged about -12 on LG; after two weeks of practice (watching 7Sage and following along) I am now averaging -6.

Anyone in Minnesota out there?

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:28 pm

sunniebunnie wrote:Retaking in September after first-time June score was around 6 points lower than PT average... yikes.

My question is, can we predict the curve in any way? Is September usually more lenient than June? Will LSAC have mercy on us after that brutal -9??
We can't even really try to predict the curve until we take the test and can gauge its difficulty, but I doubt there'll be another -9. That would suck.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 pm

CHECKING IN, FAM!

I'm retaking because I got a 169 but desperately want a 174. I dream about a 174.

So, I've sacrificed my birthday to the LSAT gods and I'm hoping they smile down on me in return.

Any re-take tips? I saved both SuperPreps for this and then I'll retake the most recent ones. But I have a freaky memory and know that I'll remember every question.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Alexandros wrote:
ab9315 wrote:What would y'all recommend in terms of materials/programs for someone who knows all of the basics (enough to PT 170s multiple times) but needs to shore up everything? I had a tutor for June who was great but I think I need hard materials. Don't want to waste time learning basics since I've got that, and willing to pay really whatever.
If you're hitting 170s, more drilling is probably the best thing you can do for your score.

I scored -9 in LR for the June 2017 LSAT.
-2 in RC
-1 LG

I really need to drill LR. I need to retake.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Blougram wrote:On the June test, I scored -3 combined on LR1 and LR2 and -4 on RC, but -12 on LG. Given this, I think I will focus almost exclusively on LG until September. If I can get the hang of diagramming and making inferences without panicking and trying to brute force my way through, 170+ shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

Some positive signs: In early June, I averaged about -12 on LG; after two weeks of practice (watching 7Sage and following along) I am now averaging -6.

Anyone in Minnesota out there?

On the June test, I got -9 in LR. -1 in LG.

How did you study for LR? It is an incredible feat to score so low in LR. Any advice is appreciated.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:39 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
sunniebunnie wrote:Retaking in September after first-time June score was around 6 points lower than PT average... yikes.

We can't even really try to predict the curve until we take the test and can gauge its difficulty, but I doubt there'll be another -9. That would suck.
The only thing we can speculate is that it will likely be more lenient than a -9. There has never been back to back single digit curves ever, although who knows.

This might be me being stupid, but why do so many people say to skip the September test and do December instead?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:41 pm

bluelagoon2208 wrote:Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster in a big group thread! I started my own little thread about it but maybe you guys can give some additional advice... I've consistently scored 160-165 in timed practice tests so my 163 for the real thing was not surprising, but what was frustrating to me was that I was consistently getting 175+ in blind review (and I would feel like I was looking at questions for the first time during BR). Someone suggested using a stopwatch to help with the panicky feelings and feel more in control. Would you guys happen to have additional suggestions in terms of just not freaking out? When I BR I think the questions are soooooo easy but during the timed tests it's like I've forgotten how to even read English. I've never been a nervous test taker or nervous about anything with academics really so I'm not entirely sure how to address it...
I think you just need to keep doing timed drills until you get comfortable with that stopwatch ticking away. Also, are you running out of time and not getting to every question? If so, you would likely benefit from an effective skipping strategy on the questions that you view as tougher or bigger chance of being a time sink.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:43 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
twiix wrote:
I have a minimalist approach to RC myself. I don't do anything other than read the passage and refer back to it as needed. I usually never miss more than 2. LR is my nemesis, I don't think I gave it the attention it quite deserves.
Yeah I read each paragraph, make a mental note of what it's doing within the passage (intro/argument for/argument against/example, etc), circle things I might think are important to reference back to, and will underline conclusions or author opinions. Seems to work for me.

If you have issues with LR, have you entered your PT answers into 7sage's analytic bank? It will tell you which question types you do the best/worst on.. once you identify where your weaknesses are, I'd recommend just drilling into oblivion and also maybe reading more on that given Q type from different sources (manhattan, ps, bp, etc) because maybe you just didn't bode well with wherever you read about it originally.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:48 pm

twiix wrote:
Yeah I read each paragraph, make a mental note of what it's doing within the passage (intro/argument for/argument against/example, etc), circle things I might think are important to reference back to, and will underline conclusions or author opinions. Seems to work for me.

If you have issues with LR, have you entered your PT answers into 7sage's analytic bank? It will tell you which question types you do the best/worst on.. once you identify where your weaknesses are, I'd recommend just drilling into oblivion and also maybe reading more on that given Q type from different sources (manhattan, ps, bp, etc) because maybe you just didn't bode well with wherever you read about it originally.
No I actually haven't done that so I'll give it a try, although I think I'm kind of all over the place with it, just gotta work on my consistency. I've gone -1 on LR sections, I just haven't really gotten to the point where I can rely on a -2 or better, which is where I want to be.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:49 pm

heyduchess wrote:CHECKING IN, FAM!

I'm retaking because I got a 169 but desperately want a 174. I dream about a 174.

So, I've sacrificed my birthday to the LSAT gods and I'm hoping they smile down on me in return.

Any re-take tips? I saved both SuperPreps for this and then I'll retake the most recent ones. But I have a freaky memory and know that I'll remember every question.
UGH. I'm sacrificing my birthday to them as well (tomorrow)! Fingers crossed for results!

Congrats on your score btw! 169 is a great score :)

bluelagoon2208

New

[deleted]

Post by bluelagoon2208 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:57 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by bluelagoon2208 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”