The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

presidentspivey

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by presidentspivey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Anyone else struggling with reviewing RC and feeling like some of the right answers are wrong? With some questions, I check the correct answer, understand how they came to that interpretation of the passage, but still feel like my understanding of the reading was better.

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Dear diary,

I just went to the library and printed out the following from the Cambridge LG:

In out grouping x3 (13x3 = 39 games)
Undetermined assignment x 3 (28 x 3 = 84 games)
Determined assignment x2 (23x2 = 46 games)
Simple ordering (24 games)
Grouping (19 games)
Complex ordering x2 (20x2 = 40 games)
Miscellaneous x2 (18x2 = 36 games)
Total = 288 games

My plan is to
(1) Complete the sections I printed duplicates of
(2) After the duplicates are taken care of do all 7 sections (I'm not bothering with relative ordering) timed. Any game where I miss a question or take too long re-print 5 copies to drill later.

This should take me around two weeks. At which point my daily preparation switches to 3-4 hours of LR and 35 minutes to an hour of LG where I either do a timed section or drill 4-6 reprints

I feel bad for the people who queued up print jobs after me. Poor bastards had to wait 15 minutes to get their 2 pages while my 350 pages printed out.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Gluteus wrote:Dear diary,

Grouping (19 games)
Total = 288 games

My plan is to
(2) After the duplicates are taken care of do all 7 sections (I'm not bothering with relative ordering) timed. Any game where I miss a question or take too long re-print 5 copies to drill later.

This should take me around two weeks. At which point my daily preparation switches to 3-4 hours of LR and 35 minutes to an hour of LG where I either do a timed section or drill 4-6 reprints

I feel bad for the people who queued up print jobs after me. Poor bastards had to wait 15 minutes to get their 2 pages while my 350 pages printed out.
haha damn thats a lot. i printed the same amount pretty much but in like 3 batches. So your plan is to do 4-6 games total a day plus 3-4 hrs of LR Drilling?

Aptony

New

Post by Aptony » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Grouping (19 games)
Total = 288 games

My plan is to

Where do you get enough LR to do 4 hrs/day? If I did that I would run out of sections on PTs???
Do you pay for the Cambridge LGs or have a link to where I can print some?

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:37 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:

Grouping (19 games)
Total = 288 games

My plan is to

haha damn thats a lot. i printed the same amount pretty much but in like 3 batches. So your plan is to do 4-6 games total a day plus 3-4 hrs of LR Drilling?
Pretty much

Essentially I plan on doing nothing but LG preparation until I get all of the LGs I just printed done. (2 Weeks~)

Then I transition to LR preparation. Which will involve reading Manhattan LR again and drilling and reviewing 750-1000~ questions. At the same time I will do minor work on LG to keep fresh and improve on my weaknesses. LR is my strong point, after reading Manhattan LR for the first time I never fell below 40/50. I'm operating under the assumption with this plan that I will be able to get back to that point quite quickly and then improve to an average of at least 43-44/50 through drilling (2 Weeks~)

Then I will take 2 days to re-read Manhattan RC

By this point it will be 1 month before the test date. For the last month I plan on doing 2 PTs + BR per week (12-15 hours a week) + 6-8 hours RC drilling + 3-4 hours LG drilling + 3-4 hours LR drilling.

If I stick with the plan and add my previous LSAT studying to the total, by the time I take an official LSAT I will have done:
- LGs from 2-38 an average of 4-5 times each
- Another 100 LGs from other tests at least once
- 2000~ LR questions
- 150-200 RC passages
- 10 Timed PTs with blind review

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gluteus

Bronze

Post by Gluteus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Aptony wrote:

Grouping (19 games)
Total = 288 games

My plan is to

Where do you get enough LR to do 4 hrs/day? If I did that I would run out of sections on PTs???
Do you pay for the Cambridge LGs or have a link to where I can print some?
I was fortunate enough to purchase the Cambridge packets for all three sections before they stopped being sold. I also purchased paper copies or PDFs of various other PTs. In total I have around 75 PTs.

I'm unfortunately not knowledgeable about the best way to acquire real LSAT questions and PTs given the changes that took place since I originally gathered my materials for the LSAT

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:45 pm

FLOATING TRIP!!!

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:37 pm

clueless801 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:Well that's $70 down the drain :roll: :x
No kidding :/ i just bought one Monday. Well, at least it'll get some use between now and the test and I'll have to get a regular watch for the test.

Return?

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Ira Hayes wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:even the CEO of powerscore said this is a harsh policy. but let's be honest, what he really means is that this is bullshit. :mrgreen:

I'm confused though, so wtf CAN we use?? a regular analog watch? but even then, I feel like it's still going to be a shitty policy because there are some proctors who are morons and will probably think that every watch is banned. then what? do we just leave it up to hope that we don't get shitty proctors? :mrgreen: :lol:
It really is BS.. Really? to prevent an advantage... Lol why dont people with higher PT averages take harder tests then lmao
I think I'm going to by 3 or so Timex watches and open the face and try to cut out the 36 minute up mark. i may be able to rig it to make the turn dial larger so that I can reset it quicker.

Just get this https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MRW200H-7E ... ting+bezel,

I have one thats similar and its incredibly easy to use. The watch face rotates so u can set 0.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 pm

caramelizedgod wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:Well that's $70 down the drain :roll: :x
No kidding :/ i just bought one Monday. Well, at least it'll get some use between now and the test and I'll have to get a regular watch for the test.

Return?
That's the plan! Just have to see if it's ok to refuse the package and do a return to sender since it's unopened'

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:46 am

I'm still mad.

augustyyy

New

Post by augustyyy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:08 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:I'm still mad.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:13 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
chewinggum wrote:So if you have a watch that's not permitted are you turned away or can you get rid of the watch and still sit for the test?
I would guess you could just get rid of it.

I mean this isn't like a watch, but I had a pen in my bag when I took in sept and all they did was throw it out lol.
In my personal experience with this test and the procotors. I wouldn't "guess" anything. Adjust to the change and plan on not using it.
Yeah, generally over my 3 takes it seems that having banned items didn't result in not being allowed to take at all. Phones were a big no go and they made you leave it outside the building if you couldn't pay attention to that very important rule. I saw 2 people get told to leave their watches outside because they were digital. Saw a person throw away a pack of 20 mechanical pencils (I gave the dumb dumb a few Ticonderogas, which the asshole didn't return)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:35 am

Feeling so much better about the LSAT after today's practice session - this feels like the sort of practice I should be doing regularly. Clearly had a dividend.

Started the day off with the Logic Game from PT 46 and went -0 with 6ish minutes to spare, which felt fucking fantastic. Granted they had no In/Out games, which are my nemesis, but it's a well-needed ego/confidence boost.

Then wandered over to the 7Sage Question Bank, and drilled the first 20 "Flaw" questions marked Harder or Hardest, and then 12 SA and 12 NA questions with the same rule.

Took a break for dinner and to be social with the people I live with, and returned to the two LR sections of PT 46. -3 and -4 respectively, and given I started both at 11PM and felt myself get tired during both, I feel like I could have hit a little higher with them. Thrilled to be back on this side of -5 though.

Tomorrow - same strategy as today's LR, but with LG, specifically In/Out.

PT on Friday, I think, and Saturday off.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:31 pm

caramelizedgod wrote:
Ira Hayes wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:even the CEO of powerscore said this is a harsh policy. but let's be honest, what he really means is that this is bullshit. :mrgreen:

I'm confused though, so wtf CAN we use?? a regular analog watch? but even then, I feel like it's still going to be a shitty policy because there are some proctors who are morons and will probably think that every watch is banned. then what? do we just leave it up to hope that we don't get shitty proctors? :mrgreen: :lol:
It really is BS.. Really? to prevent an advantage... Lol why dont people with higher PT averages take harder tests then lmao
I think I'm going to by 3 or so Timex watches and open the face and try to cut out the 36 minute up mark. i may be able to rig it to make the turn dial larger so that I can reset it quicker.

I have one thats similar and its incredibly easy to use. The watch face rotates so u can set 0.
How do you stop the time to prepare or do you just keep rotating the bezel until the proctor would say go and then stop from there?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:46 pm

For conditional grouping games, has anyone found any benefit of using MH "Logic Chain" Method to write out the rules instead of doing it the way JY does it just normally in the 7sage videos? I havent found any need to switch from the 7Sage way but just was curious what peoples preferences are

creed

Bronze

Post by creed » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm

The last two days I've been in the thick of grouping games, can feel myself getting a better handle on my time. Not sure if this is just me, but I find that I have to take a longer route on grouping questions than I normally do on linear questions (trying out different combo, test running multiple answers). It may just be that I'm still green with grouping.

Taking on some assumption LR questions today.

Once I finish up my first round of grouping questions, I'm going to PT. Tomorrow, most likely. Hoping that I'll break into the 172+ this time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:35 pm

creed wrote:The last two days I've been in the thick of grouping games, can feel myself getting a better handle on my time. Not sure if this is just me, but I find that I have to take a longer route on grouping questions than I normally do on linear questions (trying out different combo, test running multiple answers). It may just be that I'm still green with grouping.

Once I finish up my first round of grouping questions, I'm going to PT. Tomorrow, most likely. Hoping that I'll break into the 172+ this time.
I still tend to be slower with grouping games than with linear games. Initially, I practiced games individually and would become frustrated with myself when I couldn't finish some grouping and advanced linear games in less than 8:30. However, once I started taking PTs and drilling sections, I found that time was less of an issue since I could finish certain games quickly and afford extra time for others. I have since only had 1 PT where I didn't finish every LG question. This may seem like a banal observation, but I think that LG timing is best honed by PTs/section drilling (or at least using 7Sage's timing suggestions, which I still find to be a bit off the mark)
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
creed wrote:The last two days I've been in the thick of grouping games, can feel myself getting a better handle on my time. Not sure if this is just me, but I find that I have to take a longer route on grouping questions than I normally do on linear questions (trying out different combo, test running multiple answers). It may just be that I'm still green with grouping.

I still tend to be slower with grouping games than with linear games. Initially, I practiced games individually and would become frustrated with myself when I couldn't finish some grouping and advanced linear games in less than 8:30. However, once I started taking PTs and drilling sections, I found that time was less of an issue since I could finish certain games quickly and afford extra time for others. I have since only had 1 PT where I didn't finish every LG question. This may seem like a banal observation, but I think that LG timing is best honed by PTs/section drilling (or at least using 7Sage's timing suggestions, which I still find to be a bit off the mark)
The questions are def "harder" or at least take longer on grouping because basic grouping is pretty much all back-end work. Im actually drilling them right now myself.

I agree about the timing. 7Sage timing seems to be mismatched when it also says its a really hard Game/Q's, but like you said sometimes on individual drilling I find that Im not always hitting those marks most of the time, but rarely have an issue in a PT or section unless I get absolutely stumped on a game... Whne I re-do games i just try to beat my time and progress. Not stressing too much on what that respective time is unless I know it really took me way longer than it should have.

ugatvandy

New

Post by ugatvandy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Hey, do any of y'all have suggestions for PT performance tracker that allow you to track both your actual score and BR score? Having a hard time finding a good one

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:41 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
ugatvandy wrote:Hey, do any of y'all have suggestion of PT performance tracker that allow you to track both your actual score and BR? Having a hard time finding a good one
Not sure if you checked it out but 7Sage analytics is free and pretty good. It allows you to put in your regular score and BR score.
7sage is awesome. I have two accounts. One for just full length PTs and one that also has all of the tests I've done as sections and experimentals as well.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:07 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:
ugatvandy wrote:Hey, do any of y'all have suggestion of PT performance tracker that allow you to track both your actual score and BR? Having a hard time finding a good one
Not sure if you checked it out but 7Sage analytics is free and pretty good. It allows you to put in your regular score and BR score.
7sage is awesome. I have two accounts. One for just full length PTs and one that also has all of the tests I've done as sections and experimentals as well.
This is a fantastic idea and I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner - going to copy this

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

I took PT63 earlier this morning but just scored it..

Exp LR: -2 (PT20 S1)
LR: -0
LG: -3 (?)
LR: -2 (felt like a -4 or -5 though tbh)
RC: -8 (typical, fuck RC. also, I can't read apparently so there's that)

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:
Ira Hayes wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

How do you stop the time to prepare or do you just keep rotating the bezel until the proctor would say go and then stop from there?
The watch face is easily rotatable within the 2-3 secs the proctor is telling you to move on to the next section but yes I just kind of waited until the proctor says okay you can now start section x and moved the 0 slightly and started that section.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”