The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 am

when you'd rather do logic games than study for finals :roll:

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 am

Mikey wrote:when you'd rather do logic games than study for finals :roll:
or work

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 am

dj9i27 wrote:
or work
I'm spending my day having a Saw marathon (my fav franchise EVER) and studying on and off.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 10:16 am

also, what are some poll suggestions again? I know dj said best rapper I think, but I forgot?

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Fri May 19, 2017 10:16 am

dj9i27 wrote:
or work
I'm trying to decide what to drill while I'm at work today. I've already finished everything in my inbox. :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am

littlelibertine wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
or work
I'm trying to decide what to drill while I'm at work today. I've already finished everything in my inbox. :/
I'd say either some LR or LG if you're going to be doing it on and off. Usually I can drill those on and off, but not RC.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Fri May 19, 2017 10:25 am

Mikey wrote:
littlelibertine wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
or work
I'd say either some LR or LG if you're going to be doing it on and off. Usually I can drill those on and off, but not RC.
LR has been the easiest for me to drill at work in the past, but I'm in the middle of two chapters about Weaken questions & cause and effect reasoning, so I don't want to start my Weaken drills until I've finished both of them. Wish I'd brought the book to work with me, but I'm trying to be somewhat circumspect about my plans. :mrgreen:

I'm doing RC because I find that I'm remembering the answers to LG questions if less than two weeks has passed between the first and second time I drill them. Completing them again before I've forgotten how to do them seems like wasted time.
Last edited by littlelibertine on Fri May 19, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Fri May 19, 2017 10:26 am

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Prediction: H's 25th percentile GPA will plummet.
*Prayer hands*
If it tanks too bad they may try to overcorrect the next few cycles to bring it back up...
My guess is they'll still care about LSAT median a lot more than GPA 25th. They won't bring the GPA 25th back up at the expense of the LSAT median.

Mystic Alex says 3.6x. They accepted essentially everyone on LSN with an LSAT at or above 175 and a GPA > 3.55. Yield will be especially high for folks with lower GPAs who are less likely to have gotten YS / full-ride options.
I feel like HYS is a much more reasonable expectation for K-JD's based on solely need-based aid. Kind of offputting because I'd end up with sticker because engineering jobs pay a decent amount already

jk i wont get in to any so i dont need to worry
[+] Spoiler

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 am

littlelibertine wrote: LR has been the easiest for me to drill at work in the past, but I'm in the middle of two chapters about Weaken questions & cause and effect reasoning, so I don't want to start my Weaken drills until I've finished both of them. Wish I'd brought the book to work with me, but I'm trying to be somewhat circumspect about my plans. :mrgreen:

I'm doing RC because I find that I'm remembering the answers to LG questions if less than two weeks has passed between the first and second time I drill them. Completing them again before I've forgotten how to do them seems like wasted time.
Nah, re-drilling LG that you remember answers to isn't a waste of time IF you work through all of the questions and reason why a question has 4 wrong ACs. If you just circle the correct AC because you remember it and don't practice your inferences and diagramming, then THAT would be a waste of time. It's actually encouraged to redo games, just as long as you don't skip out on doing it right, it's still good practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Fri May 19, 2017 10:38 am

Mikey wrote:
littlelibertine wrote: LR has been the easiest for me to drill at work in the past, but I'm in the middle of two chapters about Weaken questions & cause and effect reasoning, so I don't want to start my Weaken drills until I've finished both of them. Wish I'd brought the book to work with me, but I'm trying to be somewhat circumspect about my plans. :mrgreen:

Nah, re-drilling LG that you remember answers to isn't a waste of time IF you work through all of the questions and reason why a question has 4 wrong ACs. If you just circle the correct AC because you remember it and don't practice your inferences and diagramming, then THAT would be a waste of time. It's actually encouraged to redo games, just as long as you don't skip out on doing it right, it's still good practice.
Another way to do this - is to diagram it differently. Maybe solve the game in a different fashion to help build non-traditional inferences.

I think solving games without splitting all the boards and without writing every inference into the board is super helpful for these new "undiagrammable" (yeah, I made up a word) games people have been complaining about on the most recent tests.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 am

I took off today and am trying to find the energy to study

Someone send me splitter stats lol

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 am

Bikram office work. :) :) :) :)

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 10:46 am

TWiiX wrote: Another way to do this - is to diagram it differently. Maybe solve the game in a different fashion to help build non-traditional inferences.

I think solving games without splitting all the boards and without writing every inference into the board is super helpful for these new "undiagrammable" (yeah, I made up a word) games people have been complaining about on the most recent tests.
re: splitting all the boards

I used to do that, and although it has some great positives, IF you end up not making 20 diagrams before heading into the questions, I still think the best approach is to write the rules--> make some inferences --> do all of the IF questions --> do the MBT/CBT/MBF/CBF questions last so that way you have diagrams made already from the IF questions and you only have to test out a few ACs.

I like this way so much better because with the solving all possibilities thing, you sometimes end up making unnecessary diagrams.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:47 am

chewinggum wrote:I took off today and am trying to find the energy to study

Someone send me splitter stats lol
LSP for a confidence boost

We all good, hard working employees who make our really broken system proud

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 10:47 am

TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
*Prayer hands*
If it tanks too bad they may try to overcorrect the next few cycles to bring it back up...
My guess is they'll still care about LSAT median a lot more than GPA 25th. They won't bring the GPA 25th back up at the expense of the LSAT median.

Mystic Alex says 3.6x. They accepted essentially everyone on LSN with an LSAT at or above 175 and a GPA > 3.55. Yield will be especially high for folks with lower GPAs who are less likely to have gotten YS / full-ride options.
I feel like HYS is a much more reasonable expectation for K-JD's based on solely need-based aid. Kind of offputting because I'd end up with sticker because engineering jobs pay a decent amount already

[+] Spoiler
Kind of, but, on the other hand, it's crazy easy to go over the limit in terms of salary and assets if you have middle class parents in their 50s and they're counting 100% of their income/assets as yours. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people receiving need-based aid were >25.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am

They need to do something about temperature / air circulation in this building. This is nuts.
We have a ceiling fan but I'm genuinely worried it's gonna fall on my head and kill me.
Last edited by Alexandros on Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Fri May 19, 2017 10:55 am

Mikey wrote:
TWiiX wrote: Another way to do this - is to diagram it differently. Maybe solve the game in a different fashion to help build non-traditional inferences.

re: splitting all the boards

I used to do that, and although it has some great positives, IF you end up not making 20 diagrams before heading into the questions, I still think the best approach is to write the rules--> make some inferences --> do all of the IF questions --> do the MBT/CBT/MBF/CBF questions last so that way you have diagrams made already from the IF questions and you only have to test out a few ACs.

I like this way so much better because with the solving all possibilities thing, you sometimes end up making unnecessary diagrams.
I didn't mean to imply that I split the boards for everything.. I hardly ever split it at all to be honest. Except in extreme cases where it says "either A or B is in position 2".. then it's pretty easy and you don't go overboard with like 8 subboards.

Choosing question order in LG is extremely useful advice though. I highly recommend everyone train their brain to skip MBT/CBT/MBF/CBF until the very end as mikey said. This alone will save you a minute(s) on each game.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Fri May 19, 2017 10:56 am

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
*Prayer hands*

[+] Spoiler
Kind of, but, on the other hand, it's crazy easy to go over the limit in terms of salary and assets if you have middle class parents in their 50s and they're counting 100% of their income/assets as yours. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people receiving need-based aid were >25.

I guess that's a good point.. might just liquidate my savings and investments into untraceable swiss accounts and say I lost it all in vegas so I get a full ride. ezpz

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 19, 2017 10:57 am

TWiiX wrote:
Choosing question order in LG is extremely useful advice though. I highly recommend everyone train their brain to skip MBT/CBT/MBF/CBF until the very end as mikey said. This alone will save you a minute(s) on each game.
+120

it's what all the cool kids do

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 11:08 am

TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
*Prayer hands*

[+] Spoiler

I guess that's a good point.. might just liquidate my savings and investments into untraceable swiss accounts and say I lost it all in vegas so I get a full ride. ezpz
I think there are ways to do stuff like that (legally) - Like buy all your suits before applying and whatnot.
YS don't say much but H outlines the calculation pretty clear on the site, which is nice.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am

Soon in Ask a Law Student/Graduate: Which lawl path will afford most A/C? Biglaw, boutique lit, PI, government?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:13 am

I'm sure as hell taking a personal day the 15. I am angst and tired rn and in no mood for the LSAT tomorrow lol

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 am

dj9i27 wrote:I'm sure as hell taking a personal day the 15. I am angst and tired rn and in no mood for the LSAT tomorrow lol
You definitely should.
Don't burn yourself out, bro.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 am

Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote: Kind of, but, on the other hand, it's crazy easy to go over the limit in terms of salary and assets if you have middle class parents in their 50s and they're counting 100% of their income/assets as yours. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people receiving need-based aid were >25.

I think there are ways to do stuff like that (legally) - Like buy all your suits before applying and whatnot.
YS don't say much but H outlines the calculation pretty clear on the site, which is nice.
The plus side is that after lurking in YS threads, it seems like most people tend to be pleasantly surprised at how much aid they receive.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri May 19, 2017 11:18 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Alexandros wrote: Kind of, but, on the other hand, it's crazy easy to go over the limit in terms of salary and assets if you have middle class parents in their 50s and they're counting 100% of their income/assets as yours. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people receiving need-based aid were >25.

The plus side is that after lurking in YS threads, it seems like most people tend to be pleasantly surprised at how much aid they receive.
Yeah, I noticed that. (Whereas H not so much.) Makes me wonder how the calculations differ (y no info YS pls).

Iirc, $$ amount of median grant is greater for S but % receiving aid is smaller than H.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”